combat damage thread (split from ideas)

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

Re: combat damage thread (split from ideas)

Post by eggmceye »

well fuck me

in my defense, that is just a cut paste of the 2004 combat explained page, and if it mentioned the bonus from high AS it would be basically correct
Rusty76
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Rusty76 »

That's what i've based my character builds on. I had no idea there was a bonus to damage from having way more AS than needed to break a mobs defense.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

that change (where hits never miss and the dmg is scaled to as-def) was made in alpha 21 (june 23 2005) which was absorbed into reg Sept 2 2005 viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2268 as patch 1.1

other than that it isn't very well documented ... I been searching the forums about that combat change and can't really find anything ... be interesting to see what I wrote about it
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

ok ... another update :--;:

I was just looking at scaling magic damage to mr/int - same way combat works. So I cut/pasted the combat damage scaling code into a new scale_magic_damage() func ... lo and behold, when your AS gets really high, well over breaking defense, it DOESN'T stack on proportionately extra damage - there is a limit to the bonus - 10% extra damage maximum. So that basic 50/50 for longswords holds.

finally, I don't think the top post is that accurate - that original dps meter I made wasn't very good - also I should have compared morningstar vs broadsword rather than ls vs flail. Axes don't even get a mention.
WbBann
Here for the lesbians.

Post by WbBann »

Many thanks for the explaination egg, that extra 10% damage is still worth the stacking up on STR then and my dex is still useful. However if this is the case does that mean Kodiaks guides are out of date?
TheOneGuy
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by TheOneGuy »

great idea with the MR/int i was going to post some time that i thought its dumb a mage with 100,000,000,000 MR get the same dmg as the mage with 1 :LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON: (or at least that is what i have found i could be wrong)
all i want is a test server for maped then ill be happy ...
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

WbBann wrote:Many thanks for the explaination egg, that extra 10% damage is still worth the stacking up on STR then and my dex is still useful. However if this is the case does that mean Kodiaks guides are out of date?
Yes it is wrong if he says go 250 max dex, rest str if you are going UA or LS.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Any planned changes based on this new insight or are you going to do the same test with broadswords and morningstars. Alternitively, you could add a new 1 handed axe axe that does 1-9 damage so you could test all across the board (being that axes and polearms take the same %s according to the manual).
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

next patch will balance it all a little, probably make maces & polearms a little stronger, that's all

edit: ok, so with the patch, the str/dex ratio for poles and maces is now 90%/10% (since everyone has a little dex)
also I tweaked the dps of the various skills, so poles and maces should be a bit stronger now (they were indead a tad weak, not that bad tho)
finally, the AS bonus from str & dex is now scaled to the weapon you are wielding, ie

old way: high str only added to AS for fighters and dex only added to AS for rogues
new way: for a 50/50 wep like LS, both dex and str add to the AS bonus
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Huzzah! Now... this just needs to be summarized and added the manual.... hmm. :--;:

Just logged on... do you mean the next patch after this? I still seem to have the same AS with LC...

Oh, silly me, you mean the AS bonus damage... doh.
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

Cool cool. Thanks egg! :D