Pawn Shop needs renovating?

Moderator: EUO Moderators

LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Pawn Shop needs renovating?

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Does anyone buy stuff from the pawnshop in Sandy Valley anymore? I tried buying some items when it came out, but since the chances of getting anything good is literally nil - why bother? It's no longer a gold sink anymore.

If the chances of getting a good or really good item was higher, people would try "gambling" at the pawn shop...
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
Magrock
Here for the lesbians.

Re: Pawn Shop needs renovating?

Post by Magrock »

I have spent many millions of gold at this shop. Since there really is no better gold sink, I am still buying things there. The only useful thing I got was a vamp rapier XMP. I don't think I would recommend BETTER items for this shop although a broader range (like adding jewlery) may be nice.
Rusty76
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Rusty76 »

I remember trading to you a vamp raiper XMP, you sure you got that from the Pawn Shop? Or do you have 2 vamp raipers XMP?
Magrock
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Magrock »

I have only one and now I suppose that I did get that from you, Rusty. Oh well, it looks like I really never got anything useful from the Pawn Shop.
LaughingCoyote

Post by LaughingCoyote »

The best item i've heard someone get was a random + 28 stat item... and this was after more than a million gp spent. Cant remember who it was though...
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I think the idea of the pawn shop is for you to waste money, not get good items.
LaughingCoyote

Post by LaughingCoyote »

I understand that it's not meant to be another source of uber goodies like the magic merchant from the dark ages of EUO... but if the point of the Pawn shop is to get rid of excess GP in EUO, then you need to give the uber rich players an incentive to dump their cash there instead of leaving it in their bank accounts. (A bit sort of like problem with the current global financial crisis...)

Instead of getting a small chance of getting "good" equipment for grinding, what about having a random chance of getting a decorative item that you can have in your house, or a randomly-named useless weapon?

You could buy a unidentified longsword from the Pawnshop, and instead of getting longsword + 2, you get a longsword +2 named "Smaug's Bane". Basically have randomly valued artifacts (most artifacts that are hard coded are useless decorative items anyway - so it wouldn't effect the balance of the game).

Ditto furniture...
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

Well I'm 99% sure the old magic merchant used to cycle all the items that it had, even the ones that people would sell to it. This is why it was a catch 22 - the magic merchant would buy any gear the player would sell it, but then it would have that in its inventory. Basically the chances of having something good pop up on that merchant were dramatically reduced.

I'm guessing egg used the same coding for the Pawn Shop but just made all the weapons "unidentified". This being said I know tons of newbs sell the gear they find which isnt valuable to the pawn shop.

If all these assumptions are correct, you can figure out why nothing good is coming from the pawn shop.
LaughingCoyote

Post by LaughingCoyote »

I thought all the 40+ stat items were from the old magic merchant, so i'm wondering - people sold those type of items to a npc merchant? Hmm... are we even talking about the same npc?