Books missing text

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Catherine
English correct bastard.

Books missing text

Post by Catherine »

This is probably known (so I've not posted it in the general forum), but the book code is live and well, but sadly has chopped out a lot of the Desc. text entries. Most obvious place to see this is in VoT - where they're needed, as they provide a lot of clues to puzzles.

I don't have the original files, but am happy to take a map-set (I asked for one a while back, don't think I ever got one) and re-do all the books ingame, using the descs they originally had. It'd also be nice to be able to set any item as a book (e.g. scroll on the ground etc) to use the functionality - it has a very nice pro-feel to it, so might as well use it as much as possible.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Dunno what you mean by chopped. I went thru vot and made every book I could find into a newstyle book. Can you cite some specific examples?
Catherine
English correct bastard.

Post by Catherine »

VoT - by chopped, I mean the books are turning up blank, no text to them.

1st layer, head West through mountains - descend into mongbats, there's a small area there with a book.

Hidden temple of the Sun (entrance - hidden near Drakes, central-west of 1st level), missing central column text and High Priest area (NE, just north of ladder down) books: this is problematic, since the sundial puzzle relies on a clue from the priest's book.

1st level, SW corner, ruined outpost with golems - should be a desc book here.

Those are the ones I've seen - I was on PD at the time, so didn't look further.

I'd love to add some proper scripts to VoT btw - there was a whole storyline / quest arc for it, and it'd be nice to add an "unlock teleporter" switch / quest trigger to allow fast travel around the map.
Catherine
English correct bastard.

Post by Catherine »

I've spoken to players - apparently this is a general bug with books, no-one can get them to display. Some people are seeing 100+ pages of gobblygook :/
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

why the fuck haven't those retards reported it, let them rot :mad:
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

ok found/fixed the bug with books on the ground - the text wasn't getting compressed and the client was uncompressing plain text :/

It's pretty sad no one reported it, means that no one really gives a shit about them.
Catherine
English correct bastard.

Post by Catherine »

eggmceye wrote:ok found/fixed the bug with books on the ground - the text wasn't getting compressed and the client was uncompressing plain text :/

It's pretty sad no one reported it, means that no one really gives a shit about them.

I took two players around VoT - Uragog (I think) and rakko. Whilst rakko wasn't paying them much attention, Uragog definitely wanted to be able to read them, and was interested in the story line. When I asked around, apparently other books do work, it might have been because I created them all as hooked items with descs, using the original hook feature in maped (?)

Anyhow, there's two of us! Don't get down due to the Power-Players ;)
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re:

Post by Keighn »

eggmceye wrote:ok found/fixed the bug with books on the ground - the text wasn't getting compressed and the client was uncompressing plain text :/

I know how you feel. While the only map I've ever made and submited was my guildhall, I've had many who went through there never even mention a word about descriptions.

I think there might be a few other books that you can acquire by quests that aren't giving any description while shift r is used. I'm going to redo each of these to retest but I'm pretty sure the "The Emerging Underworld" didn't give me the option this last time. To be sure I'll test both reg and pd. PD I'll check with human and another race.
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: Books missing text

Post by Keighn »

Confirmed the following books that can't be looked at or shift r (read)
The Necromancer
Chronicles of Nechuleft
The Emerging Underworld

Of course, there might not be anything written for them either.
ZUPS!!!!