Enchanting Brainstorms - new craftable items for enchanters

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I personally think it might need a few more negatives to not make it too cheesy. Rage attacks can be very powerful. Perhaps negating all def ala Beserker Rage. After weapon breaks you're weakened at 1/2 hp/str/dex for a small time (diablo thoughts there).
ZUPS!!!!
Rusty76
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Rusty76 »

Well just make the chance of it breaking higher like 1/10 or 1/5. I also like the idea of a penalty to defense since you are in rage and not defending. Something like a -10 def penalty (only -10 because you still have the defense from your armor but you lose the normal defense that a person wearing no armor and not in rage would have). As for it being cheesy, it's no more cheesy than a khaki potion is. Perhaps khaki pots would be less cheesy if they caused a penalty to defense also.
Rusty76

Post by Rusty76 »

maybe put in the ability to enchant weapons and armor again, but not near as high. Like +4 max for weapons, +3 max for def, +3 max for NV and MR and +10 max for stat. Instead of doing it the way old enchanting worked perhaps you could craft items that could be used to enchant the weapon/armor. Different gems could be made that when used on the appropriate item would enchant it.

Here's my idea:

skill % required, item, ingredients

20, diamond of attack +1, diamond + dull red shard
40, diamond of attack +2, diamond + dim red shard
60, diamond of attack +3, diamond + bright red shard
80, diamond of attack +4, diamond + brilliant red shard
90, diamond of leeching, diamond + zircon + brilliant red shard

30, fire opal of defense +1, fire opal + dim red shard
60, fire opal of defense +2, fire opal + bright red shard
90, fire opal of defense +3, fire opal + brilliant red shard

30, onyx of nightvision +1, onyx + dim blue shard
60, onyx of nightvision +2, onyx + bright blue shard
90, onyx of nightvision +3, onyx + brilliant blue shard

30, topaz of magic resistance +1, topaz + dim blue shard
60, topaz of magic resistance +2, topaz + bright blue shard
90, topaz of magic resistance +3, topaz + brilliant blue shard

0, ruby of strength +1, ruby + zircon + dull blue shard
10, ruby of strength +2, ruby + zircon + dim blue shard
20, ruby of strength +3, ruby + zircon + dull blue shard + dim blue shard
30, ruby of strength +4, ruby + zircon + bright blue shard
40, ruby of strength +5, ruby + zircon + dull blue shard + bright blue shard
50, ruby of strength +6, ruby + zircon + dim blue shard + bright blue shard
60, ruby of strength +7, ruby + zircon + dull blue shard + dim blue shard + bright blue shard
70, ruby of strength +8, ruby + zircon + brilliant blue shard
80, ruby of strength +9, ruby + zircon + dull blue shard + brilliant blue shard
90, ruby of strength +10, ruby + zircon + dull blue shard + dim blue shard + brilliant blue shard

0, emerald of dexterity +1, emerald + zircon + dull blue shard
10, emerald of dexterity +2, emerald + zircon + dim blue shard
20, emerald of dexterity +3, emerald + zircon + dull blue shard + dim blue shard
30, emerald of dexterity +4, emerald + zircon + bright blue shard
40, emerald of dexterity +5, emerald + zircon + dull blue shard + bright blue shard
50, emerald of dexterity +6, emerald + zircon + dim blue shard + bright blue shard
60, emerald of dexterity +7, emerald + zircon + dull blue shard + dim blue shard + bright blue shard
70, emerald of dexterity +8, emerald + zircon + brilliant blue shard
80, emerald of dexterity +9, emerald + zircon + dull blue shard + brilliant blue shard
90, emerald of dexterity +10, emerald + zircon + dull blue shard + dim blue shard + brilliant blue shard

0, sapphire of intelligence +1, sapphire + zircon + dull blue shard
10, sapphire of intelligence +2, sapphire + zircon + dim blue shard
20, sapphire of intelligence +3, sapphire + zircon + dull blue shard + dim blue shard
30, sapphire of intelligence +4, sapphire + zircon + bright blue shard
40, sapphire of intelligence +5, sapphire + zircon + dull blue shard + bright blue shard
50, sapphire of intelligence +6, sapphire + zircon + dim blue shard + bright blue shard
60, sapphire of intelligence +7, sapphire + zircon + dull blue shard + dim blue shard + bright blue shard
70, sapphire of intelligence +8, sapphire + zircon + brilliant blue shard
80, sapphire of intelligence +9, sapphire + zircon + dull blue shard + brilliant blue shard
90, sapphire of intelligence +10, sapphire + zircon + dull blue shard + dim blue shard + brilliant blue shard

0, amethyst of vigour +1, amethyst + zircon + dull blue shard
10, amethyst of vigour +2, amethyst + zircon + dim blue shard
20, amethyst of vigour +3, amethyst + zircon + dull blue shard + dim blue shard
30, amethyst of vigour +4, amethyst + zircon + bright blue shard
40, amethyst of vigour +5, amethyst + zircon + dull blue shard + bright blue shard
50, amethyst of vigour +6, amethyst + zircon + dim blue shard + bright blue shard
60, amethyst of vigour +7, amethyst + zircon + dull blue shard + dim blue shard + bright blue shard
70, amethyst of vigour +8, amethyst + zircon + brilliant blue shard
80, amethyst of vigour +9, amethyst + zircon + dull blue shard + brilliant blue shard
90, amethyst of vigour +10, amethyst + zircon + dull blue shard + dim blue shard + brilliant blue shard

Having to have bright and brilliant shards for the higher req items would make them too hard to train given how hard it is to obtain them. I'd suggest that either monsters need to be consistent in what quality of shard they give (e.g. a dragon always gives a brilliant, a minotaur always gives a bright, etc) or that doing anything with enchanting would train the skill, regardless of your current skill % (like mining, woodcrafting (chopping logs), cartography and the old enchanting does/did)
Rusty76

Post by Rusty76 »

Kaiser had an idea the other day that I thought was interesting. He said that there should be a one time use item that you could use to capture a monster, which could be released later to fight for you. The monster, once released, would be like a summon and couldn't be recaptured.
So, building on this idea, I thought it would be cool to be able to capture monsters in flasks and then release them later. This would be a one time use item. I call it a "bottled" monster. Here's the items and ingredients:

monster bottle - flask + dull red shard + dull blue shard
improved monster bottle - flask + dim red shard + dim blue shard
refined monster bottle - flask + bright red shard + bright blue shard
greater monster bottle - flask + brilliant red shard + brilliant blue shard
mega monster bottle - reinforced flask + 2 brilliant red shards + 2 brilliant blue shards

The idea behind the different degree of bottles is that you need a better bottle for tougher monsters. The monster's xp could be used as a guide to determine what type of bottle is needed to capture it. The player would have learn how good of a bottle is needed for a particular monster. Once the monster was bottled you have an item in your inventory like: bottled [monster name], for example a bottled minotaur, bottled red dragon, etc.

Some monsters shouldn't be capturable, like shadowlords and guards, and maybe the ones that you can capture should be limited to only living creatures.

If you want to encourage people to learn enchanting, or keep noobs from cheesing bottled monsters made by tougher players, maybe make the best bottles and best bottled monsters soulbound.

Anyway, it's just an idea. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
Ulric
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by Ulric »

I like the idea of a bottle monster but there should be a few more restrictions:

1) Only 1 bottled monster should be in play at a time.
2) There should be a chance the monster will turn on you when released. Maybe 5% chance for weak monsters and 15% for dragons and the like.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I suggested making them Brass Bottles as per D&D. This would give some more use to brass sheets.
ZUPS!!!!
Rusty76

Post by Rusty76 »

Thanks for the responses :) I agree that you shouldn't be able to use more than one bottled monster at a time as it might be overpowered. Perhaps if you did they would turn on each other? Maybe it's just best that you can only have one going at a time. It's also cool that there's a chance the monster will turn on you, that would be kinda fun. As far as ingredients go, you can add brass sheets to the ingredients of the bottles and maybe add silver sheets as well (or simply require reinforced flasks instead of regular ones) My "logic" behind using both a red shard and a blue shard is that the red shard allows the bottle to contain the monster physically while the blue shard allows the bottle to contain the monster magically, so having to use both brass sheets (for physical reinforcement) and silver sheets (for magical reinforcement) kinda makes sense.

I'm still trying to think of something for the enchanting skill that would make it eaiser to train than it currently is. I cant imagine having to collect enough brilliant shards to train the upper %'s of enchanting as it is now.
Gulnar
on lolpatrol

Post by Gulnar »

Rusty76 wrote: I'm still trying to think of something for the enchanting skill that would make it eaiser to train than it currently is. I cant imagine having to collect enough brilliant shards to train the upper %'s of enchanting as it is now.
I think I've said it before, but I think the best solution to the need for massive quantities of rare shards is to remove the upper limit on skill gain when enchanting. I.e., make it like cartography/old school enchanting where you can still gain skill crafting (for example) peergems at 99% skill.
Rusty76

Post by Rusty76 »

Here's some more ideas for new craftable items with enchanting. No exact details on level requirements or ingredients. if an idea seems promising we can come up with that.

enchanted fish - adds temp attributes (NV, poision immunity, disease immunity, light, etc)

bombs - can be thrown, have a timer and doesn't hurt players
burning - IFH in 4 directions
concussion - IVPY or series of IVPYs
electric - 4 VOG bolts
poison - INH in 4 directions
sleep - IZH in 4 directions
flash - causes blindness

sands of time - temporarily freezes all monsters on screen, hitting a monster causes them to start moving again

enchanted bandage - heals full amount instantly or heals while you move

orb/ring/necklace of ressurection - auto ressurects on death + temp invis with no res sickness at the place where you died. dissapears when used

scroll/wand of pet control - allow player to enter the pet's mind and direct it's actions. While player is controling pet they cannot do anything. one time use item

enchanted arrows/bullets - allows a +1-4 bonus to AS/damage. only works with untinted bows/slings

wands - make enchanting, disenchanting and polypile wands craftable

wand/scroll of reversing - unmakes a weapon or armor back into ingots/logs. one time use item
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I didn't want to start a new thread so I'll post this idea here. While playing the 3d engine I noticed how easy (depeding on your camera angle and zoom) you could get lost. So, I thought of old items of lore and remembered the "loadstone" which I believe was a device to determine directions (well, north I think). I'd have to do a little internet searching and perhaps peruse some fantasy gameworks/novels but this might be an interesting item to be crafted via alchemy/tinkering/enchanting. Essentially a soulbound quest item that would simply tell you which way you're moving. In 2d mode it might be pointless since you can obviously tell which of the 8 directions you're going. In 3d mode it could help since when you change angles the arrowkey or numberic pad key you choose isn't always going to be going the direction you think.

For instance: Say you hav moved the camera 90 degree to the and are focused to a near 1st person shooter looking mode. You hit your up arrow key which would normally be "noth" but since you're turned 90 degrees (depending if you turned left or right) it would say "Moved East or Moved West." Perhaps shorter ultima term would be any of the 8 directions:

Northwest
North
Northeast
West
East
Southwest
South
Southeast

Opinions?
ZUPS!!!!
Rusty76

Post by Rusty76 »

You could always add "dir_msg=1" to your client.cfg so it displays your movement messages.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I know I could, but then we wouldn't have a new series of quests to get the item which what sprouted this thought to begin with.
ZUPS!!!!