EUO TILES & AVATARS

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

EUO TILES & AVATARS

Post by Keighn »

Seeing as the one thread is up to 70+pages and a royal pain in the arse to navigate all the way through to pic I want to view, I decided to start a new thread for tiles and avatars for those who simply just like to do that kind of artwork. It seems like every game I find that has an editor or a way to put graphics into them, I just can't help but draw a few doodles to get it out of my system. I had a plethora of customs done for FRUA (Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures) and ACS (Adventure Construction Set). There was even some dabbling in the BTCS (Bard's Tale Construction Set). I'll admit my skills are hardly anything worth noting among the ones who paved the way for such graphics. Generally, I manage to do some touch-up and a few different concepts with what is already there.

So, feel free to post what ever you got. Having just finished working on the template for the water tiles (most of which was already done by someone else), I came up with these examples of some coastlines combined with different water-types.

In this example, you'll notice the familiar tile that we recognize as the usual water tile that you can boat across. I noticed the slight stitch line across and found out that that was actually a SHALLOW WATER TILE in various versions of Ultima(U4). Witch the DEEP WATER TILE already put in as well, I decided to put the regular ocean tile in as a median between deep and shallow (duh).

Now, for the fun stuff I took my SEWER SLIME TILE and put a floor patter down that I dubbed COBBLE BLUE. Another set is the NEWER HILLS with a nice LAVA TILE flow. I also tried it with a CLIMBABLE MOUNTAIN Tile which doesn't look so impressive (until i draw a sample map that is). We also see the FOREST with water that looks pretty nice. Another oddity is the SWAMP that has a nasty stream of BLOOD Tiles. Some fun tiles is the SEWER SLIME in DEEP WATER (a pollution effect).

When you raft about the waters you undoubtitly have noted how the corners of the DEEP WATER just have an unsightly effect on the OTHER WATERS. Using my templates I made an example of the two water tiles put together using the same river/stream layout. Used correctly smoother edges could be produced in map making. I also tried this method combining two land tiles together (GRASSLAND & DESERT). It looks pretty good.

Finally I give you my completed version of the WATER, LAVA, BLOOD, SLIME --- FALLS & FOUNTAINS. The Lava fountains/falls looks a tad off and could probably use a definite touch up. Put in the correct environment though, it probably looks ok. I would say that pretty much completes my water tiles unless I get some hair up my butt to add a few more contours for the coastlines.

Water Type Tiles In template Format

Tiles made as 32x32. I'm not going any bigger. It is probably better to save the pic and look at it through the appropriate art viewer that has a zoom. This way you can get a better look at the tiles from a more ingame perspective.

(Note: For fun viewing pleasure only - No real game usage here).

---- EDIT ----

NO since in making a fresh post when I can edit this one since no one has posted yet. I call this next set Standard Flags (not original but who cares). We see the original red and blue and well as the modified ones I had posted before but deleted for some reason or other.

New flags are the multi-colored 2 & 3 types. There is also some work for hanging skulls for various types and a few generic crosses. Crosses led to graves so I put up the newer gravestone we have and also put an earlier version we used to have in EUO some patches back. This also led me to reshow all our favorite signs (which I had no hand in making). I did take the stable pic from the PC version of U5 and posted it along with a shoddy remade one. Could be better, but I'm pretty satisfied with the Standards themselves though. You may also notice what looks to be duplicates of the cow heads on posts. If you'll notice the glowing eye is positioned slightly in a different spot for each facing direction. I should have checked to see what it looked like in scg's avatar editor but I didn't.

Flags & Banners

I'd post my walls and floors next but I'm trying to find a decent template to make for vines/vegation to cover my current walls/floors. I'm also considering making a different door made entirely of iron .... maybe even a rusted one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Keighn on Thu May 11, 2006 4:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ZUPS!!!!
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

Nifty. :smoke:

And my god, adventure construction set!!! Haha, that brings back old memories... :)
Djanno :smoke:
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Odd, I could have sworn I uploaded those as pcx files into flickr. In fact I'm damn sure I did as I only have bmp or pcx versions. Flickr changed to jpg which messed the tiles up a tad. I'll see if i can remedy this.

---- edit ----

So as not to make this post entirely useless I'm starting to put the links to all the great artists here. Have a look at the ones who paved the way. Also note most of the work I do is just minor cut/paste, touchup, and recoloring. I've yet to make a pic from a blank slate.

SCG's Avatar Editor
This is definitely something you'll want to check out if you plan on seeing certain tiles animated. I use it exclusively and can't imagine being with out it. Best of all it is free.

EUO Skins

Tips for Making Avatars/Tiles

Heikki's Tiles

New Custom Avatars

Vanguard's Tiles

Dolus' Avatars

Dolus' Mediocre Avatars

Sharingan's Avatars

Terrible Avatar's

Navarre's Avatars

Navarre's Monster Thread

Rambo's Graphics Thread

Extell's New Graphics Thread

Extell's Werewolf+

Matoya's Final Fantasy Monsters

Some Sprite Ideas

Lurid's Monsters

Jonas' Avatars

Lord Mikazuchi's Monsters

Marth's Tiles

I'm sure there are many I've missed so if you want to look at them check the older threads.
Last edited by Keighn on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
ZUPS!!!!
Mr.Crowley
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by Mr.Crowley »

Pretty cool... I think it would be interesting to see some slimy water inside of noob dungeon.
You will find the strength
To beat the Deamons and the Balrons
Conquer evil and slay the werewolves
Balance the peace in
Eggs ultima online....

-Ruki- His tribute song
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Keighn wrote:Odd, I could have sworn I uploaded those as pcx files into flickr. In fact I'm damn sure I did as I only have bmp or pcx versions. Flickr changed to jpg which messed the tiles up a tad. I'll see if i can remedy this.
yeh flickr would convert them to jpgs for sure
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Well, I'm in a bit of a funk atm. Seems filecloud isn't working for me I can't get an account there. Flckr, while nice for jpg, is not complying to my needs of gif or pcx. I did use Myhost one time but it seems that my account is defunct and they won't let me have another. I didn't really care for them anyway. I guess I'll search the web for a better host site.

I've been doing some rereading of old posts (all 15 gen pages x individual thread pages) and discovered some really great artists. Or should I say rediscovered their works. I must say that Extell, Rono, Sharigan, Dolus, Heikki, and quite a few others had some good pictures (some of which we see in EUO). I've also gotta say that there are a lot of art threads I will link them in the future probably on this post as I hate wasting too may post spaces.

While I'm not posting any pics this time I have fiddled with some of our humanoids: Based on the current colors for Orcs, goblins, trolls & ettins; I made various versions using my template designs (again using mspaint as I'm a poor sod with a pc that put-puts so bad you'd think your c64 runs faster). I would actaully amlost call what I did the paper-doll effect for them. Nothing of a revolution, but hey it passes the time.

I'm still think on variations of broken floorboards, vined walls (lazy on this one), busted furniture, broken doors, etc.

Keighn
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Good & Not so Good News. The Not so good news is I am using an old default site I've used before to hold my images. Simple click the link to see the pics since I am saving space here on the forums.

The Good if not great news is I found a graphics converter that is free (30day trial though) so I should be able to convert all my works into gif format (a real space saver).

--- edit ---

Here's some skins I cut/paste together using what was available and what I happened to have on my hard drive. Nothing special but once I learned it could be done I figured I'd try my hand at it a little.

Destroyer's Skin

Destroyer's Skin Nighttime
Last edited by Keighn on Fri May 12, 2006 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

don't worry abt saving space on the board. Infact (and I don't know why I didn't do this earlier) I added pcx as a attachable format (tho it probably won't display inline).

just get your hands on photoshop and attach everything as gifs or pngs. I think even acdsee can convert between formats. I kinda prefer it if they were attached.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Yeah, I just found abc (advanced batch converter earlier today (trial version atm). It is pretty dang good. And the attachments work great. All I have to do is make sure I don't go over 100k per attachment.
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I'm having trouble getting my tiles up again so I did something else. While reading a few older threads I began thinking of the ultima bestiary from the various games. Here's some links of what I've found so far (Note: I'll add some more when I find them):

Akalabeth - still searching

Ultima: Escape From Mt. Drash

Ultima I Bestiary

Ultima II Bestiary

Ultima III Bestiary

Ultima III Bestiary - Nes Version

Ultima IV Bestiary
Last edited by Keighn on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I've been doing a lot of reading lately in the forums. So much in fact that I dug up some pics from EUO's past. I could only dig up one full tileset but there are some screenshots of some of the other monsters and tiles that I found extremely interesting. I wouldn't mind getting my peepers a chance to look at the rest of the old tiles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ZUPS!!!!
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

hahaha, I member when staffs used to look like q-tips.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I Did some fun tinkering today on a tile favorit of mine.
ZUPS!!!!
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

Maybe make the darker part of the Hulk's green body a few shades lighter so that you can really see it, and it'd look alright.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Yeah, I wasn't entirely pleased either. He looks a tad skinny.
ZUPS!!!!
Dolus
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Dolus »

Keighn wrote:Yeah, I wasn't entirely pleased either. He looks a tad skinny.
I think it looks fine. All I would do is lighten up the lovehandle area.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I finally got tired of the old cleric "wanna be statue of liberty" or genestar pic. And replaced it with a better cleric imo.
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I like this - wonder if they could have some use with clans? as clan banners or some crap.
Frickzaen
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Post by Frickzaen »

Wow...I liek them as well...imma try my hardest to get my hands on a clan now :-) well that is if MOO doesnt work out for me.I think it would be a nice idea to have clan flags...maybe a CTF event would come into play?like and winner keeps the flag they can sell it or add it in a trophy room in their hall?
EUO ist nicht ein Spiel, das es eine Lebensart ist. Ja weiß ich, daß ich ein dork lasse mich sein bin.

+Frickzaen+52+Mage
+Melfice+29+Fighter
+Vinure+13+Int Mage
+Zez+19+Rogue
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I started to run out of ideas for banners. I was trying to make a better Jolly Rogers. Alas, my skill are not that great.

I have so many tiles I don't know what to do with them.
ZUPS!!!!