Balrog Tournament (2019)

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Balrog Tournament (2019)

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Rules:
Random Single Elimination knockout Tournament.

Tourney Registration opens 1st of February 2019, ends 14th of February 2019.(2 weeks to register).
Registration ends when tourney participants reach a power of 2 number. (retroed rule)
Tourney matches Start 14th of February now, end 28th of February (2 weeks to play). until egg says it ends.

Register via Armoury Page here. 1 account/person per entry.

After registration ends, the full bracket will be drawn up.
Byes will be randomly selected if the number of participants don't fit an order of 2.

Players /roll to determine who goes first - highest roll gets to choose whether to play first or second.
After each game in a match, losing player gets to choose whether to play first or play second.
First player to win 2 games against their opponent wins the round.

No changing of decks within a match - once both players are ready to play - no one leaves Balrog arena in a match until winner is decided. Decks can be changed between matches - ie between rounds.

Submit results as usual on Armoury page here:
Last edited by LaughingCoyote on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
LaughingCoyote

Re: Balrog Tournament (2019)

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Registration is now open! closed!
http://euotopia.com/tourneyreg.php

Tourney brackets have been drawn up!
Balrog Tourney ladder.jpg
Generated using:
https://challonge.com/tournaments/brack ... Up8cmQGroS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LaughingCoyote on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
Mackey
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Mackey »

Suggestions:
*Instead of publishing deck and sideboard, let each player ban one (or several) card(s) each before game.
*Have players /roll with referee as witness to see who goes first, higher /roll gets to choose to go first or second.

Just my two cents, I'll probably enter, but it's your tournament, run it how you like and I'm sure it'll be cool either way
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

before you reg it, let me mod the tourney system so there is only one division, but yes otherwise, very good
LaughingCoyote

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Mackey wrote:Suggestions:
*Instead of publishing deck and sideboard, let each player ban one (or several) card(s) each before game.
*Have players /roll with referee as witness to see who goes first, higher /roll gets to choose to go first or second.

Just my two cents, I'll probably enter, but it's your tournament, run it how you like and I'm sure it'll be cool either way
1) I dont think we have enough cards in game to ban/limit any really. Ban a Newbie Dungeon and there goes the newbie dungeon strat, etc. Could just not bother with registering decks if its too annoying and make it a free for all card wise.

2) /roll for initiative! sounds easier. Don't really know if there is much advantage in going first or not. Don't really need a ref when we have automated umpire and built in rules.
Mackey

Post by Mackey »

LaughingCoyote wrote: 1) I dont think we have enough cards in game to ban/limit any really. Ban a Newbie Dungeon and there goes the newbie dungeon strat, etc. Could just not bother with registering decks if its too annoying and make it a free for all card wise.
Fair enough. I'm for just not registering decks, unless there's some big reason to do it. Guess it depends on if you want to let people change their decks or use completely different ones in different matches. IMO you shouldn't be able to change your deck between rounds, for sure. Once you're in the card arena, you shouldn't leave.
LaughingCoyote wrote: 2) /roll for initiative! sounds easier. Don't really know if there is much advantage in going first or not. Don't really need a ref when we have automated umpire and built in rules.
Or just a witness in case of disputes. I might be thinking too much into the idea of a dispute, though. Really doesn't seem to be the type of playerbase that you'd have to worry about that kind of stuff anymore.
LaughingCoyote

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Trying to think of ways you might need an umpire. Maybe in case of a disconnection/timed out? Or if someone finds another bug and abuses it?
Mackey

Post by Mackey »

I guess you're right, with the server logging a winner and everything, maybe there isn't need for one.
Paru
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by Paru »

Mackey wrote:Suggestions:

except as it stands i'm using my lotl so to say a card is banned might mean a headache trying to get 30 cards.
I'm using too many rare cards to have any other characrer ready. now if there is a ban list SOON like before sign up happen then that seems reasonable and i can see if i can get enough cards.
Paru
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by Paru »

yeah skip banning but here is one other thing to soncider and this is in most TCG and CCG based games: Mulligan, with reset it effects both players do both players need to agree to mulligan? does rolling for choice of first also grant that person to reset ONE AND ONLY ONE time? can a way to reset without effecting the other player work?
LaughingCoyote

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Egg has added more cards to Balrog, and added mulligan feature.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I think, that as soon as there are 8 ppl registered then the brackets should be generated and the tournament started

see
https://challonge.com/tournament/bracket_generator

or just make a nicer version of this and keep it updated here

Code: Select all

aaaaaaaaa -|
           |---xxx-------\
broly---- -|             |
                         |----yyyyy-----\
ccccccccc---             |              |
           |---xxx-------/              |
ddddddddd---                            |
                                        |----WINNER
eggmceye----                            |
           |---xxx-------\              |
fffffffff---             |              |
                         |----yyyyy-----/
goemon------             |
           |---xxx-------/
hhhhhhhhh---

dirtyking
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by dirtyking »

Think the ban on cards is stupid , in most cases the right swap between rounds is the determining factor in winning matches, n the bracket should be made after everyone signs up n registration ends, basically lc set it up good already
Maybe the forums could be good for setting day of fight between whoever got put in the bracket together
Like post what day you should get on n fight n both players agree to play that day n time
LaughingCoyote

Post by LaughingCoyote »

dirtyking wrote:Think the ban on cards is stupid , in most cases the right swap between rounds is the determining factor in winning matches, n the bracket should be made after everyone signs up n registration ends, basically lc set it up good already
Maybe the forums could be good for setting day of fight between whoever got put in the bracket together
Like post what day you should get on n fight n both players agree to play that day n time
Not sure what ban you are talking about.
eggmceye wrote:I think, that as soon as there are 8 ppl registered then the brackets should be generated and the tournament started
[/code]
I don't know how to stop registration, but there are 8 people registered on now.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

it's done, draw up the brakets and start playing cards!
LaughingCoyote

Post by LaughingCoyote »

First match of the tourney. eggmceye vs Rasputine. eggmceye wins 2/2 and advances to the next round!
Mackey

Post by Mackey »

CaptainMack beat Taize

Broly beat CaptainMack
CinisterD
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by CinisterD »

Broly also beat DrRockzo, advancing to finals.
LaughingCoyote

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Wow, nice work CinisterD. Goemon and I need to get our game on. LC won 2/2 vs Goemon

Updated ladder results.download/file.php?id=8255
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LaughingCoyote

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Ok, totally did not expect to win this. Thanks everyone for participating. :geek: