official Bards thread

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

official Bards thread

Postby eggmceye » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:59 pm

9k.png

This is how bards are going to work, and indeed this is all coded & ready to go right now, but I'm sitting on it because not that happy with it. Anyway ....

a) bard will not be a new class, but musicianship will be a new skill in the rogue class, hence bards are rogues
b) music is mutually exclusive with stealth - stealth will go down as music goes up, like how maces/blessed maces work
c) music is a spellcasting skill with around 8 spells. 4 of these spells are auras and 4 are abilities
d) music will require a lute equipped in offhand (don't think too hard about playing a lute one handedly)
e) music should synergise with foils somehow (but does not yet)

Bard spells (ie the musicianship skill)
There are 4 auras and 4 abilities. An aura is a AoE buff that is automatically shared/applied to your party members. Only one aura can be played by any one bard at a time. Different bards can play different auras however, making them stack.

Auras
Circle 1: +100MR (to all party members) (this should probably scale to level or stat)
Circle 3 +10% dmg (ditto)
Circle 5: +1 loot quality (ditto) (this is highly dubious, and while a good idea on paper, probably won't work that well in practice)
Circle 7: +10% rage gain (ditto)

Abilities
Circle 2: fear and confusion: mobs within rad 4 have 50% chance of becoming confused, and if not confused will flee
Circle 4: party heal: party members within rad 4 heal 4% of health per sec for 10 sec (non fragile, so can take dmg)
Circle 6: new fans: converts evil summoned creatures to good within 5 rad
Circle 8: bleeding eardrums: a spray attack that causes everything in its wake to bleed for 3 sec

All this is ready to go but not final, up for debate, change, enhancement etc

loot quality explained (discord copypasta)
each mob (and chest) has a loot quality rating 0-15
and the + and the chance for artys is determined by that number 0 to 15

eg; white dragon has loot quality 11, while red is 12, black is 13
so with loot qual +1, then the red dragon gets black dragons loot qual

so the + jacks it up as if you had killed something more difficult/with a higher loot rating

but at end of day, its still random - and in euo, just because it is loot qual 14 it is actually randomly 13 to 15 (or something like that)
so if u kill something with q=15 and your buff, makes it 16
needs a lot of testing to make sure actually helps

with q=16+ it cld make arties more common
or adds on to the + of stat items etc
but the loot qual aura is very like, long game
not sure if worth wearing it

source bards thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5408
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eggmceye
hello

Re: official Bards thread

Postby Roopert » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:13 pm

Having the Auras scale would be awesome. I like the non-fragile heal. That is going to be a lifesaver. I already have an alt ready to go for when you are ready.
Roopert
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Postby Eclips » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:40 am

Are the spells gonna cancel out the auras?
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Postby Mackey » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:40 am

Just spitballing ideas, I know obviously you wouldn't use all of these ideas, if any, but trying to help you get that final polish on bards to get them done

Bard Ideas:

Passive
*Extra 25% to class cap - Gain 1% for every 4% in bard skill gained. Would give bards some classic "jack-of-all-trades" characteristics

*Dodge/Parry/Riposte spells - Think music deflecting magic. Only works with lute in offhand, would make up for no shield, give rogues some survivability, and a truly unique talent. Defender dex vs caster INT and/or defender AS vs caster AS? There has to be something already written that could be tweaked for this. "Spell by [x] blocked by the power of song!"

*Spell Thief - % chance to learn a spell for x amount of time (5-10 mins?) when it's used on you. Not sure about the coding here, but would be a cool way to buff: Go to map with lots of magic users and take XC to the face until you get it. Can only know one spell at a time, so if you get XMP instead of XC, you gotta die or wait until it's done.

Active
Flourish - Single-target slice n dice with chance to stun instead of bleed? Or more of a single-target thunderclap? I feel like fancy bladework is some bard shit. Single-target attack for sure, no bleed (Bard spells are AOE and they have a bleed spell).

Auras
Aura of Quick Study - 2-5% stacking xp bonus
Last edited by Mackey on Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mackey
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Postby Keighn » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:49 am

Thank goodness for alpha to test lvl 1k on the loot. It may feel better on lower level characters. I know in lotl monthlies getting lewt fast was important.
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Postby Roopert » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:17 am

Mackey wrote:Just spitballing ideas, I know obviously you wouldn't use all of these ideas, if any, but trying to help you get that final polish on bards to get them done

Bard Ideas:

Passive
*Extra 25% to class cap - Gain 1% for every 4% in bard skill gained. Would give bards some classic "jack-of-all-trades" characteristics

*Dodge/Parry/Riposte spells - Think music deflecting magic. Only works with lute in offhand, would make up for no shield, give rogues some survivability, and a truly unique talent. Defender dex vs caster INT and/or defender AS vs caster AS? There has to be something already written that could be tweaked for this. "Spell by [x] blocked by the power of song!"

*Spell Thief - % chance to learn a spell for x amount of time (5-10 mins?) when it's used on you. Not sure about the coding here, but would be a cool way to buff: Go to map with lots of magic users and take XC to the face until you get it. Can only know one spell at a time, so if you get XMP instead of XC, you gotta die or wait until it's done.

Active
Flourish - Single-target slice n dice with chance to stun instead of bleed? Or more of a single-target thunderclap? I feel like fancy bladework is some bard shit. Single-target attack for sure, no bleed (Bard spells are AOE and they have a bleed spell).

Auras
Aura of Quick Study - 2-5% stacking xp bonus

I really like dodge spell. I think that is my favorite out of the list. It would be a real nice addition to have jack of all trades as well. I always viewed bards as a kind of jack of all, master of none kinda thing.
SIngle target slice and dice would be cool, I usually have just been using gouge anyways.
Roopert
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Postby Keighn » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:45 am

In ULTIMA lore they were a bit better than jesters but basically remodeled Larks from U3. Rangers in U3 were the Jack-of-all-trades. Later I’d say the avatar became that. EUOtopia is very much a different beast.

I think we need general dancing icons for those enraptured by dance from the bard.

FYI....

Last edited by Keighn on Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Postby Kynt » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:19 pm

Add minotaur bards to mino halls or something so you can wand the av!!

For real though I really like the mino bard avatar and I don't think there's any mob with it ingame.
Kynt
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Postby Keighn » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:55 am

I just know LordM had to have used that av in one of his maps. He’s used about everything.
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Postby Mackey » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:27 am

So are bards going to be using mana as a casting resource for music or will we not need mana? Trying to find out if I need to bank a couple levels for sagacity/int shrine.
Mackey
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Postby Keighn » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:15 am

I’ll bet as spells with countdown timers for some, unless egg is going to try the ever depleting mana while song is in effect. The latter would be a huge mana hog if it’s per second. Maybe remedied by vigor. I’m betting the former as most spells.
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Return to EUO General