official Bards thread

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

official Bards thread

Post by eggmceye » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:59 pm

9k.png
This is how bards are going to work, and indeed this is all coded & ready to go right now, but I'm sitting on it because not that happy with it. Anyway ....

a) bard will not be a new class, but musicianship will be a new skill in the rogue class, hence bards are rogues
b) music is mutually exclusive with stealth - stealth will go down as music goes up, like how maces/blessed maces work
c) music is a spellcasting skill with around 8 spells. 4 of these spells are auras and 4 are abilities
d) music will require a lute equipped in offhand (don't think too hard about playing a lute one handedly)
e) music should synergise with foils somehow (but does not yet)

Bard spells (ie the musicianship skill)
There are 4 auras and 4 abilities. An aura is a AoE buff that is automatically shared/applied to your party members. Only one aura can be played by any one bard at a time. Different bards can play different auras however, making them stack.

Auras
Circle 1: +100MR (to all party members) (this should probably scale to level or stat)
Circle 3 +10% dmg (ditto)
Circle 5: +1 loot quality (ditto) (this is highly dubious, and while a good idea on paper, probably won't work that well in practice)
Circle 7: +10% rage gain (ditto)

Abilities
Circle 2: fear and confusion: mobs within rad 4 have 50% chance of becoming confused, and if not confused will flee
Circle 4: party heal: party members within rad 4 heal 4% of health per sec for 10 sec (non fragile, so can take dmg)
Circle 6: new fans: converts evil summoned creatures to good within 5 rad
Circle 8: bleeding eardrums: a spray attack that causes everything in its wake to bleed for 3 sec

All this is ready to go but not final, up for debate, change, enhancement etc

loot quality explained (discord copypasta)
each mob (and chest) has a loot quality rating 0-15
and the + and the chance for artys is determined by that number 0 to 15

eg; white dragon has loot quality 11, while red is 12, black is 13
so with loot qual +1, then the red dragon gets black dragons loot qual

so the + jacks it up as if you had killed something more difficult/with a higher loot rating

but at end of day, its still random - and in euo, just because it is loot qual 14 it is actually randomly 13 to 15 (or something like that)
so if u kill something with q=15 and your buff, makes it 16
needs a lot of testing to make sure actually helps

with q=16+ it cld make arties more common
or adds on to the + of stat items etc
but the loot qual aura is very like, long game
not sure if worth wearing it
source bards thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5408
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Roopert
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Re: official Bards thread

Post by Roopert » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:13 pm

Having the Auras scale would be awesome. I like the non-fragile heal. That is going to be a lifesaver. I already have an alt ready to go for when you are ready.

Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Eclips » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:40 am

Are the spells gonna cancel out the auras?

Mackey
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Mackey » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:40 am

Just spitballing ideas, I know obviously you wouldn't use all of these ideas, if any, but trying to help you get that final polish on bards to get them done

Bard Ideas:

Passive
*Extra 25% to class cap - Gain 1% for every 4% in bard skill gained. Would give bards some classic "jack-of-all-trades" characteristics

*Dodge/Parry/Riposte spells - Think music deflecting magic. Only works with lute in offhand, would make up for no shield, give rogues some survivability, and a truly unique talent. Defender dex vs caster INT and/or defender AS vs caster AS? There has to be something already written that could be tweaked for this. "Spell by [x] blocked by the power of song!"

*Spell Thief - % chance to learn a spell for x amount of time (5-10 mins?) when it's used on you. Not sure about the coding here, but would be a cool way to buff: Go to map with lots of magic users and take XC to the face until you get it. Can only know one spell at a time, so if you get XMP instead of XC, you gotta die or wait until it's done.

Active
Flourish - Single-target slice n dice with chance to stun instead of bleed? Or more of a single-target thunderclap? I feel like fancy bladework is some bard shit. Single-target attack for sure, no bleed (Bard spells are AOE and they have a bleed spell).

Auras
Aura of Quick Study - 2-5% stacking xp bonus
Last edited by Mackey on Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:49 am

Thank goodness for alpha to test lvl 1k on the loot. It may feel better on lower level characters. I know in lotl monthlies getting lewt fast was important.
ZUPS!!!!

Roopert
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by Roopert » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:17 am

Mackey wrote:Just spitballing ideas, I know obviously you wouldn't use all of these ideas, if any, but trying to help you get that final polish on bards to get them done

Bard Ideas:

Passive
*Extra 25% to class cap - Gain 1% for every 4% in bard skill gained. Would give bards some classic "jack-of-all-trades" characteristics

*Dodge/Parry/Riposte spells - Think music deflecting magic. Only works with lute in offhand, would make up for no shield, give rogues some survivability, and a truly unique talent. Defender dex vs caster INT and/or defender AS vs caster AS? There has to be something already written that could be tweaked for this. "Spell by [x] blocked by the power of song!"

*Spell Thief - % chance to learn a spell for x amount of time (5-10 mins?) when it's used on you. Not sure about the coding here, but would be a cool way to buff: Go to map with lots of magic users and take XC to the face until you get it. Can only know one spell at a time, so if you get XMP instead of XC, you gotta die or wait until it's done.

Active
Flourish - Single-target slice n dice with chance to stun instead of bleed? Or more of a single-target thunderclap? I feel like fancy bladework is some bard shit. Single-target attack for sure, no bleed (Bard spells are AOE and they have a bleed spell).

Auras
Aura of Quick Study - 2-5% stacking xp bonus
I really like dodge spell. I think that is my favorite out of the list. It would be a real nice addition to have jack of all trades as well. I always viewed bards as a kind of jack of all, master of none kinda thing.
SIngle target slice and dice would be cool, I usually have just been using gouge anyways.

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:45 am

In ULTIMA lore they were a bit better than jesters but basically remodeled Larks from U3. Rangers in U3 were the Jack-of-all-trades. Later I’d say the avatar became that. EUOtopia is very much a different beast.

I think we need general dancing icons for those enraptured by dance from the bard.

FYI....

Last edited by Keighn on Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZUPS!!!!

Kynt
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by Kynt » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:19 pm

Add minotaur bards to mino halls or something so you can wand the av!!

For real though I really like the mino bard avatar and I don't think there's any mob with it ingame.

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:55 am

I just know LordM had to have used that av in one of his maps. He’s used about everything.
ZUPS!!!!

Mackey
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Mackey » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:27 am

So are bards going to be using mana as a casting resource for music or will we not need mana? Trying to find out if I need to bank a couple levels for sagacity/int shrine.

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:15 am

I’ll bet as spells with countdown timers for some, unless egg is going to try the ever depleting mana while song is in effect. The latter would be a huge mana hog if it’s per second. Maybe remedied by vigor. I’m betting the former as most spells.
ZUPS!!!!