rafting (and flying) in dungeons

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Omnidescent
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

rafting (and flying) in dungeons

Post by Omnidescent »

About the raft update, people can access the unfinished part of Apoc NS, the levels are closed, but eh, they can still access that part of the map.
eggmceye
hello

Re: misc updates thread

Post by eggmceye »

Omnidescent wrote:About the raft update, people can access the unfinished part of Apoc NS, the levels are closed, but eh, they can still access that part of the map.
I realised this but thought (incorrectly, maybe) that you could get around that anyway if you knew how .... but it's obviously easier now - I'll make the map a 'towne' and that will stop rafts
speed
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by speed »

eggmceye wrote:* enabled flying/rafting in all dungeon* maps (ie the map must be marked as dungeon type, not towne)
Maeondir and Apoc Broken Maps:

High priority fixes:
Matriarch's Domain (The forcefield is now completely useless, so you can skip directly to the Matriarch for 10k xp.)
Sagittarius (You only have to pull 1 lever to reach Dionaea for 65k xp.)
Nizweideux (Waterfall section broken, since they fall on mountains. Also, the torch/corpse sections are entirely skippable by raft, and the item section as well if you own a flying mount.)
ToLS, of course (Flying up lavafalls to reach Svarog, flying up waterfalls on path to Nehalennia to reach the sewers, rafting to the final castle from any western water region on the ground level map.)

Low priority fixes (Probably don't need a fix):
Lair of the Beholder (Can fly on void tiles to skip a lot of the map generation.)
Black Mountain (Doesn't really have to do with the raft, but if you blink out to the lava, you can walk off the map and tp to the beginning of Maeondir.)

Just a quick review. I think using rafts/carpets/horses on dungeon maps is a great idea. For instance, the ToLS sewers have become a lot more manageable, and the fact that horses are usable to get through swampy areas is a huge benefit. As for suggestions on how to fix the maps: For Matriarch's Domain, it would be interesting to have another insta-kill region around the island, that persists until all the requirements are met. For Sagittarius, either put a 1 tile wide corridor around the forcefields, or disable mounts entirely. The Beholder's Lair can probably benefit from replacing void with the fancy new void stuff.
-Speed(COG) = [Grandmaster Stafffighter idk...]
Comet
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Comet »

New Sosaria broken maps:

Ethereal Dimension (For Xile Quest, via Haunted forest): You can Skip portals and raft into metamap zone.

Domain: The ghost town has water to the left which is cut off by void. If you can fly you can end up in metamap area and enter monastery roof tops area (the tower with shadow mages, daemons, and minos). Also, you can blink around on upper storeys of buildings in the Monastery. This has been a bug for a while, I think.

Shadowrealm (in Stygian Abyss/Drachentrog): Ironically the bug makes the map tolerable for those lucky people who can fly. You can fly across void in Shadowrealm avoiding all the teleportation traps. Also, water tiles don't have teleportation traps, so you can raft around some levels of the Stygian Abyss.

Minor trapdoor cheese: if flying you don't fall through trapdoors, which lets you bypass traps in Cow level and Pendragon, for example.
Rumper
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Rumper »

Haha, making a game even more meant to be fun. Not grindy korean stuff :p Ah the lazyness :)
I like the updates :)
eggmceye
hello

Re: rafting (and flying) in dungeons

Post by eggmceye »

I've disabled flying mounts in dungeons tho I may yet enable sky blue pots on the main servers. Levetation still works tho, but that might get ganked (as in disabled in dungeons) or limited or get a large cooldown or something.

have tweaked following maps
* apoc new sosaria no flying/rafting at all
* matriarch's domain: added rocks around her island
* monastary/domain: tweaks to make it so you can't get on roofs via void
* ethereal dimension: s/b no flying/rafting at all now
* Nizweideux: fixed the waterfalls

ToLs, sagitarius: hoping that disabling flying mounts improves these but am ready to make more adjustments

the idea is to keep rafting, but limit flying. Actually the idea is to have both but not have any terribly broken maps. Monks' flying is blind so I suppose that ok, but maybe it & sky potion need large cooloffs, eg usable once per day. if rafting breaks any maps I'll have to start putting walls in where needed.

Please keep me updated with your terrible discoveries!
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Rafting is amazing on ToLs. Almost like it was designed for rafting.
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

LaughingCoyote wrote:Rafting is amazing on ToLs. Almost like it was designed for rafting.
That was most likely not the case =D
But it is cool you like it with rafting.
Azalynn
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Azalynn »

LordMortiferus wrote:
LaughingCoyote wrote:Rafting is amazing on ToLs. Almost like it was designed for rafting.
That was most likely not the case =D
But it is cool you like it with rafting.
I second this. Rafting in ToLS is a huge QoL change. Can do like a boss rush with this, pretty fun!
Regular
Thrall

PD
Thrall
Azalynn
Zyth
Tyrande
Azmodan
Elias
Az
Ass - LOTL
Zyth - LOTL
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

as long as it's fun and not (too) cheesy, and I hope morty can advise on this
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Looking at the map rafting allows to take a short cut into the Town as well as the Castle. Especially the latter one brings you pretty close to Jira and the Titan. However, you could also stealth your way into the Town or Castle which would probably take only a view minutes longer. We all done that with the Blood Queen (though there were some bottle necks on the way you had to fight through).
tols.png
My advice would be to place more water based mobs into the deep waters around the Town and the Castle. Considering rafts, there is one other design flaw in the map - between the sewers (lvl260) and the harbour(261) there needs to be some kind of teleportation. If you could send me the latest map files I will add that somehow.

As for rafting in general, how about having a defence and attack penalty while rafting? That way you have the choice between going the linear way through the dungeons or taking a short cut by risky rafting. However, if anyone makes some great water based maps in the future this should be re-evaluated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.