Coming back

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

GoldenGanondorf
I used to bake rockcakes in my bakery.

Coming back

Post by GoldenGanondorf »

Hello all,
I'm trying to get back to EUO my only problem is time and I need to get a laptop. So was wondering what laptop I should get. I'm not sure if EUO needs more ram, processor speed, or a dedicated graphics card to run perfect. So suggestions would be very helpful. Trying to not break the bank since the laptop will be pretty much for euo only.

Thanks in advance,
Darkfire
EUO the only game you can kill a Dragon while butchering his dead brother at the same time.
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Re: Coming back

Post by DrRude »

GoldenGanondorf wrote:Hello all,
I'm trying to get back to EUO my only problem is time and I need to get a laptop. So was wondering what laptop I should get. I'm not sure if EUO needs more ram, processor speed, or a dedicated graphics card to run perfect. So suggestions would be very helpful. Trying to not break the bank since the laptop will be pretty much for euo only.

Thanks in advance,
Darkfire
EUO should work on pretty much any laptop or desktop made within the past 10 years running Windows 7 or later. If you're using Linux or Mac OS X use WINE.
GoldenGanondorf

Yeah it will but I am looking for one thats not going to be laggy as all hell

Have been looking into a chromebook that I would setup linux on and use wine but im thinking that would still be slow or laggy
EUO the only game you can kill a Dragon while butchering his dead brother at the same time.
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

GoldenGanondorf wrote:Yeah it will but I am looking for one thats not going to be laggy as all hell
A starter laptop for around $300 to $400 will do you just fine. If you're using anything running Windows with 4GB or less that's a big part of the problem. Even though the game doesn't need much to run, Windows is a memory hog. Get no less than 6GB of RAM.

More often than not, when you get laggy it's not that the processor is being crushed by the game. It's either Windows freezing up (especially Windows Vista) or there's a lot of traffic happening concurrently on your Internet connection (e.g. - streaming audio/video, downloading files, etc).
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

I was just able to confirm that EUO runs on 133 MHz with 32 MB of RAM under Win 98 SE (with a really bad frame rate, reduced gfx and so forth). So any recent laptop will likely do the trick. The bottle neck is most likely the internet connection.
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

LordMortiferus wrote:I was just able to confirm that EUO runs on 133 MHz with 32 MB of RAM under Win 98 SE (with a really bad frame rate, reduced gfx and so forth). So any recent laptop will likely do the trick. The bottle neck is most likely the internet connection.
^^^^ Exactly...

GoldenGandorf, the thing you have to keep in mind is that the original Ultimas were designed to run on computers where there was less RAM than the size of the average Microsoft Word document. I've lost track of how many times I've played EUO while running Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator, Microsoft Outlook and Word, and Chrome web browser with at least a dozen open tabs -- all on 4GB RAM, no hint of lag whatsoever.

If you have cable modem or DSL and still have problems with lag you're either on a connection with a lot of traffic OR you've got one or more virus-infected computers on your network. Bet money on it. ;)
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Ah, win7..... I wish. I'm using win8 and can't update due to the black hole network put here. Barely runs this iPhone. So needs an update and I don't have time to sit at the library or cafe.
ZUPS!!!!
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

Keighn wrote:Ah, win7..... I wish. I'm using win8 and can't update due to the black hole network put here. Barely runs this iPhone. So needs an update and I don't have time to sit at the library or cafe.
Are you saying you can't update EUO or Win8? If you can't update EUO, click on
Start Window (lower right hand corner) -> Click on Apps (the arrow in a circle) -> Click on Search (Magnifying Glass) and type "Command Prompt"

And once in the Command Line window type:

Code: Select all

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\euo
patch.exe
And that will update EUO and run it. The whole process usually takes less than a minute. ;)
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

don't install euo into program files ! will fuck up patching
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

OH, I can install euo easily and maped on win8. I don't have to time to upgrade my win8 to win10 at the library. And the fact I have to walk 5 miles with it on my back just to get there. I'm unsure how long it takes for the free upgrade and I don't want to wait around the library while my laptop upgrades.

I've hated the deadzone I live in for ages (right beneath the pathway for the airline (and there are no cell towers out here). Everyone who come out here just about smashes their phone trying to get reception. Only option is satellite internet and I'm just not financially capable with supporting my parent's and paying all the property taxes etc.

Yeah, I never put euo in program files. But thanks for the reminder.
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

Keighn wrote:OH, I can install euo easily and maped on win8. I don't have to time to upgrade my win8 to win10 at the library. And the fact I have to walk 5 miles with it on my back just to get there. I'm unsure how long it takes for the free upgrade and I don't want to wait around the library while my laptop upgrades.

I've hated the deadzone I live in for ages (right beneath the pathway for the airline (and there are no cell towers out here). Everyone who come out here just about smashes their phone trying to get reception. Only option is satellite internet and I'm just not financially capable with supporting my parent's and paying all the property taxes etc.

Yeah, I never put euo in program files. But thanks for the reminder.
A bit of free professional insight...

For what it's worth, there's a reason Microsoft has been fanatically pushing the Windows 10 upgrade for free -- a lot of people don't want it. Seemingly once or twice a month there's yet another security bulletin about this OS doing things like sending data from your system back to Microsoft and deleting files on its own after updates. Several of my clients have allowed Win8 on their personal laptops to update to Win10 without asking me first -- and all of them have begged me to revert it back to Win8.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Dandy! Who'd have thought win8 over win10. God I wish I had just a win7.
GoldenGanondorf

So went with a lenovo chromebook cause win10 sucks. Installed linux on it and euo works fine. Takes a bit of tinkering with linux's hotkeys to not mess with euo though. Keighn if your running a laptop with a intel processor just install linux on it. Youtube how and you wont regret it.
Tink
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Tink »

Windows 8.1*

There is a difference.
EmoMage
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by EmoMage »

windows 10 is amazeballs.
eggmceye wrote:
ParadoxOfChoice wrote: Zombie using bow/sling probably shouldn't give disease.

the zombies are pulling the arrows out of their ass
Luxorious
on lolpatrol

Post by Luxorious »

EmoMage wrote:windows 10 is amazeballs.
I am drunk posting and might go offtopic but:
I wouldn't touch any Micro$oft product after win 7 (that's with hacks + tricks to stop NSA, heh) - then again I'm a person who doesn't use smartphones, Facebook, "clouds" or stuff like that. I'll try open BSD or something when Windows 7 stops functioning. Not that I've got anything to hide, but with every generation of people, we get more used to giving away our rights and privacy. That's degeneracy and/or decadence.
That's why win 10 is free - they get more bang for their buck from your data, kinda like Facebook (you are the product being sold, not the user).
Oh well. Maybe I shouldn't have read Orwell'ls 1984.
No, I don't wear a watch. As my Dad used to say, "I'm not into time, man."
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

Luxorious wrote:
EmoMage wrote:windows 10 is amazeballs.
I am drunk posting and might go offtopic but:
I wouldn't touch any Micro$oft product after win 7 (that's with hacks + tricks to stop NSA, heh) - then again I'm a person who doesn't use smartphones, Facebook, "clouds" or stuff like that. I'll try open BSD or something when Windows 7 stops functioning. Not that I've got anything to hide, but with every generation of people, we get more used to giving away our rights and privacy. That's degeneracy and/or decadence.
That's why win 10 is free - they get more bang for their buck from your data, kinda like Facebook (you are the product being sold, not the user).
Oh well. Maybe I shouldn't have read Orwell'ls 1984.
For what it's worth, unless you've stopped accepting Win 7 updates and you're using GnuPG with 2048-bit encryption (at the very least) and you're not using Tor (and/or a really good anonymous VPN service) then you're pretty much in the same boat as everyone else as far as data transparency is concerned.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I'm only concerned about software compatibility. On my bros laptop with win7 dungeon siege worked great. My win8.1 it fails. I did manage to get Ds2 and the dungeon siege über mod to work but I hate that mobs level up as you do.... Suck assuage IMHO.

I got fable to work as well. I love the virtual drive. A lot of my emulators don't work. My saitek game pad doesn't work.

So far euo mapped works (as I don't have net connect), diablo Hd, some of diablo the hell, eggs crypt wizard, eftv.

I couldn't get hell gate London to function and I have the uber patch for great game play (doesn't work vanilla either). Damn I wish I could have gotten a win7. I actually do like the weird start screen option though for win8.

Would win10 destroy more playability for games I enjoyed. Their site comparability listing sucks so bad.