Euo (et al) year in review (2014/2015)

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

Euo (et al) year in review (2014/2015)

Post by eggmceye »

Euo in 2015

As some people know I had a pretty shitty year in 2015. However I found working on Euo to be quite therapeutic when I picked it up again around Aug.

In 2015 Euo probably had around 400 changes, though I suspect a lot of it was just tweaking/bugsfixing. To put that number into perspective, here is a table of changes by year (since I started taking lists):

Year:changes
2008 375
2009 750
2010 1029 !!
2011 144
2012 362
2013 521
2014 185
2015 400 (excluding weekly revamp which spent about 6 solid weeks on)

The problem with counting changes is that a change can incorporate the tiniest 1 min tweak or a problem encompassing many hours work.

This monthly summary below might seem pretty tiny but like I said, most changes were tweaks/fixes. It's incomplete because I had to go thru my list of 400 changes and pick out the biggest ones.

March: necromancers went live even though bonecrafting was only just started. Bonecrafting still not finished.

April: yellow !? on quest npcs

Aug: PvP tourney held on separate server with maxed out chars

Sept: staggered weekend bonuses inc 2x bosses, 100s of tweaks

Oct: small pet command/AI expansion, 100s of tweaks

Nov-Dec: weekly revamp (ongoing)

Other projects completed / started
- libTcod Tactics game in python:
It's a tactics battle game, kinda like the ultima 5 battle screen, but in ascii. I started this years and years ago and tinker with it now and then. Originally it was in c++ but in a fit of madness converted it to python.
battles.PNG
- EftV / EftVO
After a big update early 2015 and a small mod to make it online, nothing much has changed. I do need to get the new client working with it, so that the ability buttons are there, which would suit EftV nicely. No real plans for it otherwise though, unless I get enthused to just work on it.

- Crypt Wizard …
Has really hit the wall. No update since early 2014. Big plans of it becoming my main source of income for a year or so have basically vanished, due to various reasons. I'll probably dust it off one day and see how it goes. It is surprisingly polished but just lacks depth.

- moagl:
I really like moagl even tho it is a massive pain the ass to keep updated. I do have a rough working port of it now but it is missing many features present in regular Euo client. I should probably just abandon it.
20160117-210435.jpg
- Unity Euo 3d thing:
I've been threatening to learn some Unity (it's a 3d engine) for years. Late Dec last year and this Jan since coming back from camping I've been tinkering with it and having fun - and I've actually got a working (albeit rough) 3d FPS Euo map explorer. It has serious performance issues right now and I am not sure what direction to take it: either as just a pure map explorer, or maybe Euo-wolfensten. Who knows.
nord.jpg
nord-jail.jpg
nord-top.jpg
Predictions revisited
Didn't write any at the start of 2015, so here are 2014's

Goals for 2014 (Euo specific)
* turn weekly PD into a proper multiplayer roguelike - more random maps, more random everything : about 70% done, started nov 2015
* having worked on EftV recently I plan on updating the UI again - possibly adding GUI buttons for major actions (that you can hide of course). Also thinking about redoing the equip interface completely: I did the buttons in Euo but haven't updated EFTV yet. I've dropped any plans to redo equip I think.
* be nice to make it all less grindy but I don't think that can be gotten around, unless you just play weekly - yeh just play NG if you want fast, interesting builds
* would like to finish my Apoc New Sosaria map set - it got expanded a little but much left todo (it's so fuckin big!)
* would like to finish the 'main quest line' (such as it is) - the tiniest bit got done - that is the quest to get to Apoc New Sos
* revise quests again, scrap any crappy maps I went thru them all and really, Bayside ruin for some reason is really the only one that irks me - didn't do anything with quests and Bayside is still there
* quests should be used more for tutoring new players - only change since Gobbo was some npc Izumi who sends the newbie to the library
* finish necromancers - finished the char builds but still need to polish off bonecrafting

Other projects
* tidy up Escape from the Vault using the new Euo client with lots of improvements and fixes - that got done early 2015 and mid 2015 I did a quick online version of it
* keep hacking away at crypt wiz, and aim for a forums release ASAP - there was the may 2014 crypt wiz demo but I haven't touched it since
* make something in gamemaker (actual idea: make a game of life simulator in game maker) - I did fart around with gamemaker but it's too simple for me, so abandoned forever.
* keep chipping away at my libTcod tactics game - I ported it to python of all things and made some progress: most people don't even know this exists so maybe I'll post about it one day

Thanks to everyone. Thanks for:
* playing
* posting
* spending money
* being nice to each other (most of the time)

Keep posting and keep emailing me (except about your dead PD character ;) ) Good luck to everyone in 2016.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buy my book! https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/452011
Please follow my twitter ... I'm actually using it now! http://twitter.com/euotopia
And facebook I suppose http://facebook.com/euotopia

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: Euo (et al) year in review (2014/2015)

Post by Keighn »

People have been pretty nice this year (well on forums since I'm still in game limbo). I was unaware you had a bad year. Probably best not to ask, but hopefully things are getting better for you.

As to game content, I suppose many of us should post or rather make more maps. I had been tooling in my head about current game maps (mostly towns ESP since there is time travel of sorts in game to apocalypse). My idea was more about towns before this or the era of great achievement (larger towns with basements and multi floors (looked at too much u5 maps I guess).

Another would be PRE-historia euo or visiting it (like when there were almost no maps and the continents didn't meld together. Some might say even in just euo, maeondir, and underworld more maps should be made. I thought maybe small maybe random buildings like huts, or wells, areas of interest. Eh... Mort mentioned randomized rooms like a geomorphology I believe.
dirtyking
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by dirtyking »

thanks for all the work , n hosting euo for us, i like the 3d it reminds me of final fantisy tactics when i first played it few years ago , be cool if you could play pd , ng, reg alpha in 3d or just a new server thats 3d, the pvp server was fun why did u take it down? cant wait to see what gets added / changed this year hope i get to play more going for my 3 character to 500 LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Wasn't 3d just a special loader anyone could use on any server. I think I saw Mort use it on EFTV.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

There are 2x 3d EUOs: moagl, which is just a client replacement and you can use that to play euo with, in 3d. Or used to be able, since I haven't kept it up to date. I've started bringing it up to date but it isn't fun to work on.

And there is this new thing I started tinkering with in unity which is an FPS, and I don't know yet how far I'm going to take it.
dirtyking
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by dirtyking »

only artifacts didn't show up when i played on 3d befor idk if its still like that