Live streaming of EUO on Twitch.tv?

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Live streaming of EUO on Twitch.tv?

Post by 1[WoWz] »

For those of you that don't know, Twitch.tv is a website that allows anyone to livestream video games (and other things) for viewers to watch and chat.

I've been watching streams on twitch for about a year and a half and really enjoy it. I watch bigger games like League of Legends that have tens of thousands of viewers to smaller or older games that only have half a dozen. I'm even a mod for a few channels to keep the trolls in line (when not lightly trolling myself).

I want to know if anyone is an active streamer on Twitch and if so, have you considered streaming EUO? It might raise the popularity of the game if it got some attention on Twitch.

I plan on streaming when I build my computer in January. I will probably focus on speedrunning some of the Elder Scroll games like Skyrim and Daggerfall but the idea of streaming EUO is interesting.

So feel free to plug your channel or talk about how EUO can use this free service. :)
IGN: 1
Tink
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Re: Live streaming of EUO on Twitch.tv?

Post by Tink »

I've thought about doing this a few times. Not sure how popular it would be though.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Wait til oculus gets online and then it'll be like you're right in the room with them.

This sounds like an excellent idea. Man wish I had net to help with this.
ZUPS!!!!
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Tink wrote:I've thought about doing this a few times. Not sure how popular it would be though.
Streaming nothing but EUO would probably not be popular. Streaming EUO every now and then in a rotation of other games that have an established community seems the way to go. Or convincing a popular streamer to give EUO a shot would be huge for the game. The smaller twitch communities do a lot for their members such as friendly raids to get viewers to check out other less-popular streamers and helping out with streaming set-ups or games.

If you stream I'd check it out for sure.

Keighn wrote:Wait til oculus gets online and then it'll be like you're right in the room with them.

This sounds like an excellent idea. Man wish I had net to help with this.
I could see this happening 5 or 10 years from now. You gotta get modern internet Keighn :fp:
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

That's a nice idea.
I know Dudle did stream EUO on twitch awhile ago. However, I cannot remember his account name.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

in late 2010 I streamed a few hours on some other service which might even be dead now
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

The craziest thing about the popular streamers is how much ad-revenue, twitch partnership, and donation dollars they get from it. The trick is to have a good personality, be funny, or to be good looking. :mad:

Egg, do we have permission to stream your game and make $$$ off of the streaming? LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON X-D
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

yeh couldn't care less!
jumpstart
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by jumpstart »

1[WoWz] wrote:The craziest thing about the popular streamers is how much ad-revenue, twitch partnership, and donation dollars they get from it. The trick is to have a good personality, be funny, or to be good looking. :mad:

Egg, do we have permission to stream your game and make $$$ off of the streaming? LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON X-D
Is egg's permission enough?

I have been wondering for a while now about the legalities of monetization of the game. I know the community created content moved EUO from the older ultima assets, but could someone get pissy from seeing one of the old ultima tiles and cause a legal fuss? If I remember correctly Egg had to remove the older music for the game because someone through a fit.
~Mario
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

there isn't much left if anything that isn't
* heavily doctored
* used with permission
* original work

but thanks for your expert legal opinion anyway

btw: I removed the old music by choice, not because anyone threw a fit
Bugbo
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bugbo »

For the tiles you may want to do some more recoloring on Brownthorne and there may be some others that are very close to the originals from U4 or U5
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

eggmceye wrote:there isn't much left if anything that isn't
* heavily doctored
* used with permission
* original work

but thanks for your expert legal opinion anyway

btw: I removed the old music by choice, not because anyone threw a fit
Wasn't trying to give an opinion, just mild curiosity. I am ignorant to all the copyright laws and I didn't know whether or not there could be any legal implications for monetizing some of the game's content, you have answered that question. However if that last post came off snarky too you, I apologize. It is really hard to convey tone over text.
~Mario
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Simple. Make all tiles 32x32. Add some shading or a touch of this or that and bam heavily remodified. Hell lord mort has done a lot of extensive work on his own to make it easy. I'm still waiting to see someone's 64x64 work done. If you have a lot of time and want practice. Do it.

Does twitch streaming utilize a microphone or does it just play the sounds from the game. I rather detest background sounds from say a dryer or traffic or idiots in the background. Then again, a quiet room with a rocking stereo track is nice.

Problem with some streaming is slow points in game going through inventory. 1 mentioned speed runs in another thread. Get a high end group together and speed run some top notch mob infested dungeons. Have a wide variety of player types for effects. Be nice when necro is polished and added.

I mean you don't want say 5 hours of Hephaestus mining and logging and making poles and pocket knives. Or do you. I could see someone doing some gardening.

And I need net period. I now miss that aspect of Missouri. Eh get me a laptop and hope over to library. Free wifi.
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

Keighn wrote:Simple. Make all tiles 32x32. Add some shading or a touch of this or that and bam heavily remodified. Hell lord mort has done a lot of extensive work on his own to make it easy. I'm still waiting to see someone's 64x64 work done. If you have a lot of time and want practice. Do it.

Does twitch streaming utilize a microphone or does it just play the sounds from the game. I rather detest background sounds from say a dryer or traffic or idiots in the background. Then again, a quiet room with a rocking stereo track is nice.

Problem with some streaming is slow points in game going through inventory. 1 mentioned speed runs in another thread. Get a high end group together and speed run some top notch mob infested dungeons. Have a wide variety of player types for effects. Be nice when necro is polished and added.

I mean you don't want say 5 hours of Hephaestus mining and logging and making poles and pocket knives. Or do you. I could see someone doing some gardening.

And I need net period. I now miss that aspect of Missouri. Eh get me a laptop and hope over to library. Free wifi.
There are a lot of broadcasting software such as xsplit and OBS that people use to broadcast to twitch. With the proper software, the different sound configurations you can come up with are limitless, so when it comes to microphones and background audio, it depends on the caster.

As for the slow points, yes, seeing you mine for 5 hours will be boring. However the better streamers out there engage in their viewers, giving them someone to talk to and answer questions. When they are doing something that isn't fun to watch, they often bring up other interesting topics of conversation. This way, people wouldn't get entirely bored and just be watching someone do the same thing over and over. This also ties into what someone said earlier in the thread about the quality of personality of the streamer.

Twitch.tv and the livestreaming community has a huge fucking following. It is growing and people are making insane amounts of money from it. I was once subscribed to a streamer (Subscribed I mean I paid 5bucks a month to support this streamer) who has what he calls "Sub Sundays" where the subscribers of his channel visit a website and enter games for him to play on Sundays. I submitted EUO twice for this, however he never did play it. He's played small indie games like EUO before, and If a livestreamer as big as he is (he goes by Towelliee btw) were to play EUO, I'm sure it would have quite of impact on the game (be it positive or negative as his following seems to have a fair share of morons).
~Mario
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

There is a lot of interesting discussion going on in here. The legal aspect probably isn't a big deal since EUO is a much different game than it started out as.

Streaming every second of a player's EUO game would get kind of boring. I came up with a couple categories that I think would be entertaining.

-Start a new LOTL PD character and speedrun the entire black stone quest.
-Maybe on a 2x experience weekend, buy a double xp weekend hour and speedrun a LOTL PD character to level 80 (or some other level).
-High level dungeon clearing with a level 500 (reg) or level 1000 (PD) character.
-Any gameplay that doesn't involve grinding; so a PD character completing all the EUO quests would be entertaining to watch imo.

If a popular streamer even gave EUO a try on their stream for a single streaming session, it would be huge exposure for the game. Once my new PC build is complete in a couple months I'll be streaming. I'll post the link when I'm ready to start :)
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

LordMortiferus wrote:That's a nice idea.
I know Dudle did stream EUO on twitch awhile ago. However, I cannot remember his account name.
So out of curiousity, I googled twitch.tv and euotopia and found only one webpage that matched; turns out it was Dudle after all and it looks like he streamed last week.

http://www.twitch.tv/krosroadz

It looks like he needs to fix some settings but I wouldn't mind tuning into the stream.
Mr.Crowley

Post by Mr.Crowley »

eggmceye wrote: btw: I removed the old music by choice, not because anyone threw a fit

And that made me cry a little inside :(
You will find the strength
To beat the Deamons and the Balrons
Conquer evil and slay the werewolves
Balance the peace in
Eggs ultima online....

-Ruki- His tribute song
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Mr.Crowley wrote:
eggmceye wrote: btw: I removed the old music by choice, not because anyone threw a fit

I sent you the EUO music a while ago Crowley. Did you put it back in the game?
Mr.Crowley

Post by Mr.Crowley »

1[WoWz] wrote:
Mr.Crowley wrote:

I sent you the EUO music a while ago Crowley. Did you put it back in the game?

I did... Then.... Patched the game and didn't back up the files :fp: Send em again?
You will find the strength
To beat the Deamons and the Balrons
Conquer evil and slay the werewolves
Balance the peace in
Eggs ultima online....

-Ruki- His tribute song
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

If I had a spare pc and more enthusiasm I could set up a stream where the invisible dm follows players around randomly - and that could be a permanent stream - but requires full time pc just for it