Noob questions

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

DalTXColtsFan
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Noob questions

Post by DalTXColtsFan »

1. I could swear that last time I played my fighter's strength capped at 99 but now it's 114 - is there a maximum strength?
2. Does being stronger make me do more damage to enemies?
3. Is there a way to more quickly get better at picking locks and disarming chests as a fighter?
4. I found a skull key in a random encounter - does that automatically open any door or chest like in Ultima? Where could I find/buy a billion of them?
5. if I can't identify an item is there someone who can do it for me?
6. once it says "It is unclear whether this chest is trapped or not" or "it is trapped" is there a way to open it anyway and risk the trap?
7. are there any other penalties to dying besides having to backtrack to get your gold?
8. Is there any karmic or tangible reward for giving the beggar coins
9. does searching anything other than a chest ever find anything

Thanks in advance
GelnorIII
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Re: Noob questions

Post by Eclips »

1. No stat cap, but theres a level cap of 500.
2. Short answer yes, but every weapon type benefits from a different Str/Dex ratio. Ask in game for more details.
3.Unless you are human you wont be able to have any lockpicking or traps skills and be a fighter. Even if you are a human, id suggest using your extra skills towards something more useful.
4. Yes opens any lock, they are randomly dropped by monsters, if you want to farm them, just hunt low level mobs. Or get Bash.
5. If you cant ID somethign anyone can for you, or you could use a magic magnifying glass or ID scrolls.
6. Shift S will attempt to open a chest.
7.Res sickness, lose temporary buffs like feel good or food benefits.
8. In general no.
9. Sometimes you can search and find items and hidden doors but this doesnt occur often.
DalTXColtsFan

Post by DalTXColtsFan »

Thank you eclipse.

3. I *am* human. It's mainly that it's so annoying to want to explore a dungeon thoroughly and hit 1 or 2 chests or 1 or 2 doors that I can't open and keep breaking lockpicks. In Ultima they had a spell you could cast that was the equivalent of using a Skull Key. Will increasing my dexterity help? Is there any training anywhere I could get?
4. Low-level mobs - are you speaking in general there like the mobs of headlesses in that city right to the east of Nordhaven or the goblins in the mine, just any large respawning mob of monsters? And what is Bash?
5. "Anyone can for me"? Meaning if I see another player in the game ask that player to try to identify it?

Thanks!
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

3. As a human you'll be able to get 25% in traps and locks, but it won't be very useful. Piety is the best route for a human fighter. Bash is a skill you can use to force open chests and doors. At low STR it has a chance of breaking the contents of the chest tho. Bashing will still trigger the trap however. Boss drops are never trapped, and most other chests aren't worth the effort so I wouldnt worry about it.
4.In general, anything you can kill a bunch of quickly. Tho again, bash is probably a better bet than skull keys.
5.Yes.
DalTXColtsFan

Post by DalTXColtsFan »

More noob questions:

1. Are there any towns or whatever where my character can buy skill training like lockpicking, trap disarming and bash?
2. Where/how can I learn bash specifically?
3. Is there an area where I can drop stuff where it won't disappear and/or get stolen? Also, I see a lot of chests laying around that look like mimics that appear to contain specific things - can I create multiple chests and for example put bashing weapons in one, polearm weapons in one, blue potions in one etc?
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

1. You can buy some crafting skills at the university but I think the prices are pretty steep. I dont think you can buy any class skills.
2. Fighters should all start with bash already. If you dont have it, you can buy it and other class abilities at the university.
3. You can either put stuff in the bank, or buy a house. I'm not sure if there are any open properties, you'd have to ask egg.
DalTXColtsFan

Post by DalTXColtsFan »

Thanks. I found the university. When I tried to buy bash it said I already have it. I scanned the help (? in game) and found the shift-c command to use a special ability, but when I use it while standing next to a door it says "nothing there". Am I supposed to be able to use bash to break open a door?
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

Tile doesn't change at all. Also it will alway say nothing there on an unlocked door.
DalTXColtsFan

Post by DalTXColtsFan »

Got bash working - woohoo! And it's remarkably effective on both chests and doors! The embarrassing thing is I had it the whole time, I didn't *have* to go to the university. I still want to get my trap disarm skills up though.

Somewhat related noob questions:
1. I know I can sell magic weapons to the weaponsmith, but sometimes it'll tell me it's worth 5600gp but he'll give me 50gp for it. Are there other options for selling them?
2. Where can I sell magic rings, boots, armor, necklaces, leggings or shields? All I've been able to figure out is that the tailor will buy magic robes.

Thanks for all the help to the noob.
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

With 25% traps you're not going to be able to untrap anything worth while. You're better off setting a TP and hoping the chest does not 1 hit you.

1 &2. Open a player merch.
DalTXColtsFan

Post by DalTXColtsFan »

Thanks as always.

More noob questions:

1. How do I change the town I'm bound to when I either die or use a town portal scroll?
2. What do I need to do to get my human swordsman to be able to cast piety spells, specifically identify item (which is circle 3)?
3. Same question for spells that the mages typically cast like minor harm - guessing I need reagents.

DTXCF (GelnorIII)
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

1. when you are in that town type /bind
2.You only need to know the spell and have the skill to cast them.
3. Same with magery. Staffs will increase your cast speed and reduce your mana costs tho.

That being said EUO has a 100% skill cap (125% for humans). This cap only applies to class relevant skills (All weapons skills except for Staves, Traps, locks, All magics, Tactics. I believe at 29% skill you'll be able to cast circle one spells without fail. You'll want to be at LEAST 90% fighter so you can use your specials. That leaves 35% that you can use toward another class. Theres a shrine that allows humans to increase their class cap by 2% each level, but I wouldn't suggest it until past level 80ish. Up until that point you can't afford to sacrifice the stats.