/ear bosses

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

/ear bosses

Post by eggmceye »

I don't know what to call them but 'special boss' or even 'ear boss' will do, and they include any mob with a non random name that always spawns in the same location.

They include
* proto raid bosses such as Blood Queen
* mega bosses - Huge crab & kraken
* respawning quest targets such as Zanzibar the troll under Nordhaven jail
* other odd named creatures such as 'King Rattler' with no associated quest

Currently do not include
* one off quest targets such as Smyth
* event bosses such as Black Arachnia
* shadowlords, except 'dark lord' - see heading below

My quest at the moment is to:
* document all of the /ear bosses
* make sure dungeons that need obvious bosses get them (see next heading)
* optionally make all /ear bosses interesting, but that is very optional since there are quite a few
(I am not at this stage altering maps - just altering spawners)

Making sure all dungeons that 'should probably have a boss here' get one
This usually means at the end, but often there are places mid map that should have an /earboss. According to my notes:
* goblin crypts: the vamp at the end could be named
* Lost Jungle - giant fel orc needs a name Complete
* the pit: put a named balron at end Complete
* the abyss: named balron at end Complete
* mountain pass - Big Essy - there are prob heaps of cat maps that need mini bosses like this that need a name Complete

the following maps I'm taking recommendations on:
* orc's desert Complete
* stygian abyss
* VoT - are the shadow creatures the end? maybe a boss iron golem?

a few maps don't quite need a boss, or changing the spawners at end is questionable - seeking opinions
feel free to correct me:
* nethaterra
* duogon Complete
* pendragon

Shadowlords
I'm unsure whether to make all shadow lords named. Quite a few maps have one at the end. There are 13 in total, and only one is named.

OH - compulsory listening - a 1hr podcast on boss fights in roguelikes: http://www.roguelikeradio.com/2013/04/e ... ights.html
If you are into euo and game design this is totally worth listening to.

TLDR
please post any /ear bosses that you think need to be added
Last edited by eggmceye on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated number of shadowlords
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: /ear bosses

Post by Keighn »

Concerning VOT:
From what I remember Catherine saying was there were supposed to be mini quests to find the 3 altars which led to the ??? of the Gods. There's a clue in that last temple up there and if you know where you can end up in a isolated area. I'll have to do a quick run to see if that's right. There is a spot in VOT that is inaccessible via energy shields and an area surrounded by mountains and with lava. I think there was supposed to be a boss in there. I don't think anyone would object to a mini boss (well maybe not mini) in VOT skygod temple. It has several iron golems, some shadowwarriors and 2 shadow mages.

I think the Mage that is the golem constructor has a prisoner that is eluded to in the story but he is no where to be found. I get the feeling he might have made it to skygod temple but there's so much missing you're left to believe he's supposed to be near the destroyed compound/fortress.
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

Here's the /ear bosses I've collected so far:

•Abbot GilRaene
•Angela
•Balam
•Balor, Tomb Guardian
•Big Essy
•Blacktooth
•Blood Queen
•Brightfire
•Calgore
•Cazer
•Contessa Planckenheim
•Crust the Midget
•Dark Lord
•Debron the Destroyer
•Dionaea
•Doppelganger
•Dread Lord Ulurath
•Eternal Matriarch Reborn
•Firehorn
•Firriz
•Foveaux
•Giant Mothra
•Gibson
•Grendel
•Guttlekraw
•Huge Crab
•Hydross the Wicked
•Ixgenkar
•Katastrophica the Maneater
•King Knuckleheads
•King Rattler
•Kodiak the Terrible
•Kraken
•Kuggorath Dogaxe
•Lady Stink
•Lord Brownthorne
•Lugnuts
•Maelstrom
•Master Wizard
•Melkior
•Mondain
•Nefara of the Void
•Nichilforn the Unhappy
•ORCOSAURUS
•Ogryang
•Redbeard
•Rufus
•Sergent Slaughter
•Shadow Prince
•Son of the Torturer
•Stren'Gal
•T'Rak the huge
•Taraldur
•Thasdth
•The Beholder
•Wagner
•Wilhelm
•Xaverius
•Xenerkes the Persecutor
•Xenktar
•Xeres
•Xile
•Zanzibar
•Zazaram
•Zerinyth
•Zhrukar the Undead

66 total notable and/or collectible kills.

Edited to add to list
Last edited by Djanno on Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:21 am, edited 10 times in total.
Djanno :smoke:
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Yep. Confirmed. All the altars in the temples give no clues to anything.
No quick egress from skygod temple as implied
No way to see the sky god (inferred a phoenix but I'd make it a lesser firebird as phoenix is too powerful)
Telgar isn't hiding in his alcove with the implied female prisoner... whomever she is.
Can't get to Lord Fronal and his lower level of the castle (not constructed so assumed he's dead but why would Telgar be waiting..?)

Eh, actually the whole bit of text is sketchy to be quite honest. We're not even sure why Telgar is amassing an army to attack Fronal. I think he might be looking for the sky god temple but not sure.

No real cultists per se.. except hellcats? devils daemons shadow warriors mages... and their golem guardians. I'd actually have expected those to be servants of the priests which there are none.

I'm not even sure who this female prisoner is of Telgar? Princess of some kind? Vot is close to Broden's Keep I'd of thought maybe clues there...

Thou doest needs morest writers as the original text in places is just oh so confusing at times or not thorough enough. Catherine did VOT? I'll check. I'd really have though she'd have better writing skills considering some of her rants and love of Ultima.
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

The guardian of the pharoh's tomb in orc desert would be the right choice there. (He's just a plain ol' vampire right now.)

Stygian Abyss/Drachentrog/Shadowrealm, I don't know... diffucult to navigate, more about discovering what the place was and what has happened to it.

The 'boss' of Drachentrog is an NPC, not meant to fight.

There's a few NPCs that are tough to find, like Time Lord, but no actual boss. Another nefarious NPC tells us who his master is, but said boss doesn't appear in the maps. (and where to add him in if appropriate??) Maybe leave this one alone.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Pity there's hardly any difference from a zombie and a mummy... not even any really different artwork either I don't think.
Also, don't forget the I the one little garden/odd building to the sw.. has monsters trapped for viewing like a museum. Isn't there a skel mage runs off to become a lich runs off to become a demilich or some shiz?

Past slime run is that one huge area underground blocked by energy fields.. I always got a feeling some sort of boss should be there as well.
Orcs desert has a lot of potential for mini/sub bosses.
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

Ruined base already has Crust midway-ish, (then there's a non boss Lich at end room before Frogtown).

"The Lord's Chamber" at the end of Frogtown has a couple ballys. Make one pink and name them 'Lord and Lady Grenouille' :P
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

A "Dread Lord Ulurath" is supposed to be sealed in Duogon's tower as stated by some sign.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Probably supposed to be a balron boss at end of River's end deep down in hells keep.

Some of the other bosses need tweaking IMHO as they aren't all that unique. Actually maybe many of the bosses need such.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Regarding orc's desert: there is the vamp pharoh guardian, the undead lord of undead, and the mage that turns into a lich then a demi lich - 3 would probably do and they don't need special abilities since they are the strongest mobs on that map.

Can anyone suggest any names for them - and also, a new name for the entire mapset :geek: I was thinking maybe Orc's Dessert (chocolate)
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

LordMortiferus wrote:A "Dread Lord Ulurath" is supposed to be sealed in Duogon's tower as stated by some sign.
do you reckon it is meant to be this guy
1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Yeah, we really need to think of some landmarks and names for parts of the overhead map. Some names are just too plain like Searing Waste, Burning Sands, Derelict Desert Outpost, Lost Garden of Sorrow, etc etc.

vampy should prolly be a little Egyptian-like though doesn't have to be since this isn't earth.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Keighn wrote: Some names are just too plain like Searing Waste, Burning Sands, Derelict Desert Outpost, Lost Garden of Sorrow, etc etc.
all of those are better than orc desert
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

eggmceye wrote:Regarding orc's desert: there is the vamp pharoh guardian, the undead lord of undead, and the mage that turns into a lich then a demi lich - 3 would probably do and they don't need special abilities since they are the strongest mobs on that map.

Can anyone suggest any names for them - and also, a new name for the entire mapset :geek: I was thinking maybe Orc's Dessert (chocolate)
The Vamp could be Sven, the Undead Lord could be Nethru and the mage could be named XIrxis. However I am shit at coming up with names.

The desert definitely needs to be renamed to Orc's Dessert (chocolate) or something more serious like Deathly Dunes.
IGN: 1
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I've actually made an epic version of it, and also on the top level, put up a fence and chgd some of the mountains because I really hate walking off that map
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

eggmceye wrote:Regarding orc's desert: there is the vamp pharoh guardian, the undead lord of undead, and the mage that turns into a lich then a demi lich - 3 would probably do and they don't need special abilities since they are the strongest mobs on that map.

According to the npc David, the mayor of the town: "Cazer, the wizard in the tower turned this place into a desert."

He also says the town was known for their produce so that would explain the orchard surrounded by the energy field.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

eggmceye wrote:
LordMortiferus wrote:A "Dread Lord Ulurath" is supposed to be sealed in Duogon's tower as stated by some sign.
do you reckon it is meant to be this guy
The sign is at 69"65' in lvl 15 (Duogon's Tower) before you enter the tower so it could be that guy.
There is another Balron at 96'40" which might also be Ulurath but the one in your screenshot probably fits best.
Mackey
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Mackey »

A quest similar to collecting all the books would be cool with ears :)
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I'M ALL EARS!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

the 4 minos in DF are random, so no
Foveaux : he could prob give an ear ...
Lilith & Nardulos: thought about it quickly but concluded the last vamp is enough