Summer time. Good time for a tourney?

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

ChrisCooper
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Summer time. Good time for a tourney?

Post by ChrisCooper »

I don't know and didn't bother to check if we have a pvp tournament annually at a set time yet, but are we going to have one this year?
I'm here to kick ass, and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubblegum.
Grunkk

Re: Summer time. Good time for a tourney?

Post by Grunkk »

If it's annually, I think you have to wait until august ;).
On a search to find the meaning of life... Oh wait, to get to level 450!
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

Don't we usually?
~Mario
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

One thing I always disagreed on about tourneys was that it was more or less gear intensive instead of skill of the player. Of course that also opens up class vs class and how some have advantage over others. There really isn't enough participants ever to do something similar to the Olympics:
Top Rogue of xxx lvl
Top Priest of XXX lvl
Top Fighter of XXX lvl
Top Monk of XXX lvl
Top Player of XXX lvl (any class)

Basically a way to get multiple awards.

Further could be:
Top Brawler (just punching)
Top Archer

Last year there were quite a few that didn't even participate in their entered divisions.
ZUPS!!!!
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

Keighn wrote:One thing I always disagreed on about tourneys was that it was more or less gear intensive instead of skill of the player. Of course that also opens up class vs class and how some have advantage over others. There really isn't enough participants ever to do something similar to the Olympics:
Top Rogue of xxx lvl
Top Priest of XXX lvl
Top Fighter of XXX lvl
Top Monk of XXX lvl
Top Player of XXX lvl (any class)

Basically a way to get multiple awards.

Further could be:
Top Brawler (just punching)
Top Archer

Last year there were quite a few that didn't even participate in their entered divisions.
To add to the awards...

"The only mage who didn't use sleep once in an entire tourney."

Sorry had to get that out there.
~Mario
ChrisCooper

Post by ChrisCooper »

There's really no such thing as skill of the player. Sorry to say, but it's a myth that has to be debunked.

Everyone has access to the same skills, spells, and attacks. The only thing that could be considered skill is choosing the best time to use a potion or how quickly you can press your key bind to change your weapon. It all comes down to gear, stat build, and class build (for those who multi class)
I'm here to kick ass, and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubblegum.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I disagree. Depending on class (let's exclude mages for this) there is timing and movement. A skilled rouge (particularly gnomes with their move while hidden) will know the exact spaces to be away to hide then perform a backstab. I'm pretty sure unless revealed even a truesight won't prevent a backstab. So if you're quick you could potentially backstab the hell out of an opponent.

Shields are now directional and if you are dancing around to avoid being hit and know how to pivot your shield without moving that could help you. Some players will def whore and some will equip for maximum AS/DMG. Some will come at you straight forward and some will be more tactful. There's also the charge attack that can potentially stun you.

Now mages, it basically comes down to how fast you get your XC off and like mario said, IZH. I suppose some might use aep but mage vs mage it probably won't do much good.

At least there are now ijo weapons so I imagine there will be a lot of tanking and striking with those. And of course, there's monks. That alone might make my argument of plain equipment null/void.
ZUPS!!!!
Grunkk

Post by Grunkk »

Well, What about that little MF douche Steevyn .. He was using like a heap of def, barbed wep, tower shield, and constantly hamstringed someone and healed (+ blue potions for Mani) You would never get more than a few hits because of his shield, couldn't move around because of the hamstring issue, and for him to deal dmg the barb would kick in, The battle with him would last until either person ran out of pots.

Even shawty gave up killing this little level 50. Now that takes skill.
Dralos
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Dralos »

No that takes tank stance and spam mani.... others have realized the huge advantage of tank stance.

P.S. high level mages can kill him cus we do all our dmg in one spell. THE SPELL OF DEATH :twisted:
LIKE A BAUSS

~JustChill~
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

hamstringed? You mean from charge or something else? I don't know who Steevyn is other than "That 70s Show." Why is he a douche? Was he being ganged up on? Sounds like he was using what he had in a pretty skillful manner. Yeah high lvl mage vs lvl 50... hmmm sounds like skill on his part and a hollow victory if the mage wins. If he wins... it makes the mage look.. well... like a pathetic loser for being [insert dorky synonym for something like 'really good at' here] by such a low lvl.

Pity Mirror Shields were never intro'd. A % per + to reflect spells might put mages in a bit of a pickle. I'm sure tasting your own XC wouldn't be all that delicious.
ZUPS!!!!
Dralos
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Dralos »

Keighn wrote:hamstringed? You mean from charge or something else? I don't know who Steevyn is other than "That 70s Show." Why is he a douche? Was he being ganged up on? Sounds like he was using what he had in a pretty skillful manner. Yeah high lvl mage vs lvl 50... hmmm sounds like skill on his part and a hollow victory if the mage wins. If he wins... it makes the mage look.. well... like a pathetic loser for being [insert dorky synonym for something like 'really good at' here] by such a low lvl.

Pity Mirror Shields were never intro'd. A % per + to reflect spells might put mages in a bit of a pickle. I'm sure tasting your own XC wouldn't be all that delicious.
Woah there des. I think Grunkk's point is he's hard to kill because he found a good tactic. My point is I wouldn't call that "skill".

I'm not saying i have any "skill" either so please don't misunderstand my point.

As for Grunkk's name calling... well it's Grunkk (nuff said?) i can elaborate if you wish.

And i don't start fights with lvl 50's, but if they want to bother me while sitting outside nord so be it.

Don't cast judgement before you have all the facts. :lesson: :cow:

Mirror sheilds? sounds cool, how about we give them to the mobs Vandermast hunts.
LIKE A BAUSS

~JustChill~
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I wasn't calling anyone names I was just saying how it would look. I recall when monks were full steam ahead a slight rift between them and mages due to throatstrike. Nah, I'm not heated up just was curious who this guy was and what he was doing.
ZUPS!!!!
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

Keighn wrote:hamstringed? You mean from charge or something else? I don't know who Steevyn is other than "That 70s Show." Why is he a douche? Was he being ganged up on? Sounds like he was using what he had in a pretty skillful manner. Yeah high lvl mage vs lvl 50... hmmm sounds like skill on his part and a hollow victory if the mage wins. If he wins... it makes the mage look.. well... like a pathetic loser for being [insert dorky synonym for something like 'really good at' here] by such a low lvl.

I don't think Grunkk's talking from a Mage's point. A Mage really shouldn't have those problems, as XC avoids the block, and the range of the spells avoids most of the hamstring problems.

It seems that you have a certain amount of hate towards Mages Des. You brought up the class in an argument that wasn't even relevant to the class. I'm quite interest to see a well constructive argument from you on how Mages are so damn overpowered.
~Mario
Grunkk

Post by Grunkk »

I usually pick fights with people I will never be able to kill.. *Like annoying the crap out of shawty for instance.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

You're putting words in my mouth. I like all the classes and each has its own weaknesses and perks. Maybe I shouldn't have isolated the mage in that point and included Shawty's fighter as well. Hell maybe some rogues and monks were attacking him as well. I wasn't there so I don't know who was against this lv 50 but I from what was said he was holding his own vs a few people.

That said, I was more or less responding to Dralos comment of XC killing him.
Dralos wrote:P.S. high level mages can kill him cus we do all our dmg in one spell. THE SPELL OF DEATH
I didn't bring it up until then. Now if someone wants to do a very detailed test of class vs class in a controlled environment there is the Alpha server. No data from a large variety of contestants/combinations means there is no data to go on except what has been seen already and I can guarantee most pvp bouts were not on the same even playing ground (ie. gear of one player will vary from another).

I haven't exhausted every possible test in euo or completed every chart/spreadsheet for my own usage but I do have quite a few. Maybe someday, I will.
ZUPS!!!!
Grunkk

Post by Grunkk »

have you done monk v rogue w/o backstab?
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

With or without specials? Its actually hard for me to do pvp battles as most of the time no one wants to take the time to do controlled long tests. Raw speed? I don't have an idea. I'm betting rogue would wipe the floor with raw speed attack even vs a troll monk. Damage? I don't have a clue again, I'm going to have to say rogue but that's just a hunch. I'm talking even dex. There is a way to nix the monk dex and that would be wearing some crappy light gear. You start throwing in specials and aspects... hell I don't have a clue. Toss in backstab and neither player has truesight.. heh.. I'm thinking rogue just might rip the monk to shreds. Again a pure guess.
ZUPS!!!!
Grunkk

Post by Grunkk »

well, when it was Me V Brownie w/o backstab, It was a fair fight, but I ended up killing him with the sleep fist + Throat Strike + Barbed + Veno combo
ibrowniedefender
on lolpatrol

Post by ibrowniedefender »

Keighn wrote:... Its actually hard for me to do pvp battles as most of the time no one wants to take the time to do controlled long tests .......
I have never seen you on reg, let alone ask someone to pvp. i would oblige :lesson:
Grunkk

Post by Grunkk »

He's McDeath you dork. :roll: