August 2010 PvP Tournament

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Rusty76
Posting from my ass computer.

Re: August 2010 PvP Tournament

Post by Rusty76 »

Mackey wrote:I'll just dual class Rogue/Fighter and use my foil/shield combo. That gonna be a problem, rust? By adding in all these rules, you're limiting our ability to form a strategy and taking us a step back to the "rock, paper, scissors" ideals of pvp. I'd say there's no problem with the tournament the way it is.
Shields aren't allowed in the rogue tournament and foils aren't allowed in the fighter tournament. The reason shields aren't allowed in the rogue tournament is because shields are a fighter only item. Fighters are the only class that has the block skill for shields which is why they are the only ones allowed to use them.

it is impossible to set up a set of rules that is going to be fair to all classes. One class is going to be limited more than another because of the rules. Also, the classes are not balanced with respect to each other, especially when you are looking at PvP. By separating the classes into separate tournaments, you are eliminating the unfairness that comes from class imbalance. The idea is not to limit your strategy, but to prevent people from using cheeses instead of good strategy to win.

An example of this is a fighter vs rogue situation. A fighter wearing full heavy def gear and with a good shield is practically untouchable by a rogue. The rogue has no strategy available to them to defeat that fighter. This is what i'm talking about when i say class imbalance. Or how about a priest vs a mage. How is it fair that the mage gets full use of their spells but the priest is limited to only 3 VM's. But if you let the priest heal without restriction, they would be very hard or impossible to kill. It is unfair either way to one or the other.
hellslave
I used to bake rockcakes in my bakery.

Post by hellslave »

Ok, so I've 3 people left to fight in my division, 2 of whom I've asked and they have declined to fight me. Nanaki may have merely been postponing it as he said he was kinda busy, however TaNk told me that he had dropped out of the tourney, however has completed 2 fights and submitted the results. Is there anything we can do to force someone to fight when asked as deciding you don't want to play anymore screws with the tourney?
A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand :jam:
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

if they decline to fight then you get 2 pts and they get 0
ask them again as their final warning - they get 1 pt just for showing up!

edit: OP updated with this 'default' rule
Mackey
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Mackey »

Rusty76 wrote: Shields aren't allowed in the rogue tournament and foils aren't allowed in the fighter tournament. The reason shields aren't allowed in the rogue tournament is because shields are a fighter only item. Fighters are the only class that has the block skill for shields which is why they are the only ones allowed to use them.
Ever notice the fact that human characters can have up to 125% class skills? Yeah, that extra 25% is for shit like Block and Tactics. And even if a non-human rogue were to want to use a shield, who fucking cares? He's not going to have the full use of the Block skill a fighter would, so I'd say thats fairly balanced. And if a human character decides to drop 38 levels in Versatility to dual class and use Block to its full (100%) potential, he's giving up on those 38 levels' worth of stat points. I'd say it's a fair trade.
Rusty76 wrote: it is impossible to set up a set of rules that is going to be fair to all classes. One class is going to be limited more than another because of the rules. Also, the classes are not balanced with respect to each other, especially when you are looking at PvP. By separating the classes into separate tournaments, you are eliminating the unfairness that comes from class imbalance. The idea is not to limit your strategy, but to prevent people from using cheeses instead of good strategy to win.
There is no such thing as unfairness in between classes. It's called bitching. If you're a fighter, and you get beaten by mages, you can do one of several things:
*Get a decent set of MR gear
*Formulate some different strategy
*Accept that maybe, just maybe, fighters are generally going to lose to mages because they're fucking slow
*Make a new character, possibly a mage, rogue, or priest (There are a total of 4 classes now, and there isnt a limit to how many characters each account can have)(Holy shit, they even have different races now? Some of them have MR bonuses?!? Have you seen this shit, Rusty?!?)
*Kill yourself
*???
*Profit
Rusty76 wrote: An example of this is a fighter vs rogue situation. A fighter wearing full heavy def gear and with a good shield is practically untouchable by a rogue. The rogue has no strategy available to them to defeat that fighter. This is what i'm talking about when i say class imbalance. Or how about a priest vs a mage. How is it fair that the mage gets full use of their spells but the priest is limited to only 3 VM's. But if you let the priest heal without restriction, they would be very hard or impossible to kill. It is unfair either way to one or the other.
You really need to learn how to pvp, Rusty. Seriously.

I'm a rogue and I eat fighters (and other rogues)(and most priests), then shit them out into corpses, which I then consume while in wolf form. And they are delicious, good sir.
Here, in case you make a rogue, I'll teach you how to kill a fighter:
First, equip a decent foil. When you go to fight said Fighter, you run behind him, hit him until he turns and starts blocking again, repeat until your ragebar is full. A disarm attack from behind will knock out his shield, allowing you to kick the crap out of him face to face. The foil will parry/riposte a decent chunk of the Fighter's attacks, and if your dexterity is high enough, you can dodge a few attacks too (I prefer to use a nice, large shield to block, cuz I'm human and dual classing, even a little, is the shit). During this time your rage bar will fill up again, and you can keep your opponent disarmed. Even if he manages to re-equip his shield, just do the run behind, hit, repeat cycle until you've disarmed him again and he's gone through all 3 of his Mega Yellow Potions. Then just kill the bastard.
You're welcome, Rusty.

Now, every so often you'll encounter a Fighter with such ridiculous defense gear that you, no matter how many buffs you stack before the fight, cannot break said defense of. Shit happens, you can't beat everyone. Go fight some other rogues and priests and shit for a win or two; Unless that Fighter has an ace up his sleeve, a mage is going to fuck his shit up in one of his matches, so you can afford to lose one match.

The only advantage that mages really have anymore is ranged XJ, but I'd say it kind of evens things out. Mages can fuck up most anything aside from other mages with an XJ/XC cycle (MR gear will help with this quite a bit though, proving that mages aren't really overpowered; They're simply another obstacle to be overcome with patience, decent gear, and a good strategy).

The VM rule really isn't even that bad, considering that you'd have to (a) Kill the priest within approximately 3.5 seconds, or (b) last through the priest healing himself fully 6 times while only healing yourself 3 times (and that really isn't that hard when you have a decent pvp character and know what you're doing against a melee opponent).

Splitting up a tournament based on classes is a terrible, terrible idea. If you simply take the number of combatants in each weight bracket this year, then divide them by their class, there will be no one to fight. Unless of course you mean to pit ALL level characters of a certain class against each other, which is borderline-autistic thinking.

There is nothing wrong with the tournament the way it is; I haven't heard anyone complaining. Actually, if there IS anything wrong with the tournament, it's the fact that there are so few entries. Your ideas will further reduce the number of next year's participants if implemented.

TL;DR Rusty's idea sucks; I'm the shit; Tournament set-up is fine the way it is.
mud
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by mud »

Mackey wrote: [...]
If you simply take the number of combatants in each weight bracket this year, then divide them by their class, there will be no one to fight.[...]
I gotta say, if nothing else, this argument is pretty convincing. There was one other rogue in my division, that'd be a pretty lame tournament.

Also, I was one of the rogues that got owned to hell by a fighter. I got pretty schooled, but I think it's at least possible that there's a strategy and/or level of skill that would have won it for me. I certainly haven't totally given up hope for the future. I guess my point is, that it's not necessarily hopeless, and I don't feel like the tourny was a waste, still pretty fun.

If anything, maybe there could be a few small pvp tweaks, if a huge class imbalance can be shown? It's probably not impossible to get at least /close/ to balanced, even without messing up the current player-monster class balance (which I consider fairly good).
Rusty76
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Rusty76 »

Mackey wrote:[You really need to learn how to pvp, Rusty. Seriously.
I have to concede the argument to you Mackey. I do not have much pvp experience. After reading your post and thinking some more i can see that you are right. Disadvantaging dual classers and not having enough players to fill the classes are the two major flaws in my idea. Also, multi class tournaments would be more complicated to run. Congrats Mackey, you have won an argument on the internet (but we are both still retarted LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON).
Mackey

Post by Mackey »

Rusty76 wrote: we are both still retarted
Damn right! Wait...
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

take your interent argument victory with rusty very gracefully justin because if it was me who posted that we'd still be arguing
jumpstart
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by jumpstart »

Question.. If I level does it completely disqualify me?

Lets put it this way... I have beaten everyone in my class, except Yaruo. There is only like 1 1/2 day left, impossible for him to beat everyone. LC has only shown up in my match against him...
I guess the answer is in the fact that if Yaruo, or LC wasn't around. Does that give everyone in my class 4 points for their absence?

This post was heavily edited after thought I put in.
~Mario
Mackey

Post by Mackey »

eggmceye wrote:take your interent argument victory with rusty very gracefully justin because if it was me who posted that we'd still be arguing
Oh I know we would, haha. It'd be fun though!
Mackey

Post by Mackey »

Ookami vs Agn is in dispute. Agn beat me. Dispute ended :)
hellslave

Post by hellslave »

eggmceye wrote: ask them again as their final warning - they get 1 pt just for showing up!
Haven't seen silentfrost since to ask him again, asked around a couple of times if anyone had seen him and Shrike told me theres something up with his power cable so he won't be on for a while.

This post is just to put on record the events that have transpired since his refusal to fight :)
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

it's difficult - I guess if he refused once with a bad reason and hasn't shown up since you get the 2 pts
if the initial reason was good and hasn't shown up since then there should be no points

I'm only going to bother dishing out points at the end if it's important in determining the winners
xShawtyx
Good morning, Captain.

Post by xShawtyx »

Well when Hellslave asked SF to FIGHT, SF said he was going to quit the tourney, he had only had one match at that point, but then a few days later he had faught someone else after telling hellslave he was going to quit.

Can't type today, had to edit this 3 times. -.- Fuck it.
Egg chopped off his arm to get rid of a rash, but its okay.. it'll grow back! He's a crab. Trist is my Fav TrollFace!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

FINAL RESULTS

UnholyCleric after a tiebreaker v OOkami

feather
Throck

light
McDeath

medium
silentfrost

heavy
Mario

elite
Macros

ultra 450
Zorgon

if anyone disagrees with the above please post or contact me asap

winners:
- rifle thru the two tourney loot chests
- pick 3 items and post them here
- first to post gets preference
- will mail you your prize money
hellslave

Post by hellslave »

UnholyCleric should be equal with Ookami I think. I didn't submit a result against Nezumi due to not having seen him on in the period of the tournament. I submitted a win against TaNk due to his refusing to play (obviously your call over what happens about that).
hellslave

Post by hellslave »

adamantium lucern hammer +8
gi legs str +31
Crystal Chain boots +6
Last edited by hellslave on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

barbed claymore OG
addled dragonskewer
gi legs +31 str

<for Macros>
It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.

Heniek, Macros, Reptile [reg]
Undertow, Macros, Khelavaster, Reptile, Burn [PD]
jumpstart
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by jumpstart »

I want....

Padded leggins of int + 30
Kryss (VOG)
Blackrock Main Gauche + 7
~Mario
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

silent frost and zorgon need to post or email or contact me with their loot reqs asap before I lose interest!

also just realised I didn't send out enough prize money so that has been corrected