ideas on a level cap.

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Magrock
Here for the lesbians.

Re: ideas on a level cap.

Post by Magrock »

eggmceye wrote:iv) no actual cap, just a really steep xp curve after 450 or 500
That seems a lot like the “Diminishing Returns” we had a while back. Why was that scrapped without reintroducing the previous level cap? See also…
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3105&p=54275&hilit= ... rns#p54275
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I would have preferred it if Hen posted before he got to lvl 451
Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

If that's a problem, I don't mind if you trim me back to 450 - it's really not a difference for me.
It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.

Heniek, Macros, Reptile [reg]
Undertow, Macros, Khelavaster, Reptile, Burn [PD]
WbBann
Here for the lesbians.

Post by WbBann »

LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON lvl caps never really work, I vote for just a real steep exp curve from xx level onwards.
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

Steep curve or leave as is.

Ever think about monsters that drain levels? Maybe only for players over level 400??
Djanno :smoke:
CinisterD
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by CinisterD »

i like the idea of a STEEP curve after hitting 450, even 400 to really slow you down and if your a lvl grinder at heart you can work your way to 500 (lvl cap) and to remove dual classing

- lvl 500 cap means noone has to lose lvls and everyones happy
- if they complain abt a lvl cap remind them it can go down to lvl 50 if you so choosed to, so they better be happy with what you give them
-lvl 500 gives a solid 3k points to distribute as you see fit (lvl 500, 3000pts these are all nice round #s , and shouldnt bother me or my friends with OCD)
-make dual classing a feature only for PD (im really going to get irratated with all the rogue/monks priest/monks that will come out )
-a set lvl cap means you can make gear appropriate to the lvl and save egg the headache

getting a high lvl isnt that hard ive seen ppl jumping 250+ lvls in a few months so it isnt impossible to get a high lvl if your willing to put in the time.

a lvl 300-400 cap just seems low, one day id like to be able to solo a blood wyvern. a low lvl cap makes this impossible without using a glass weapon.
GoldenGanondorf
I used to bake rockcakes in my bakery.

Post by GoldenGanondorf »

iv) no actual cap, just a really steep xp curve after 450 or 500
v) no cap at all, leave as is

Those would have to be the only option. Now I do understand that euo is always changing but it has always been open level (besides pd).It is understandable that a level cap would make things easier but it also takes away from the joy of the game knowing that you will never stop growing and you can always get better. Also if you ever do hit the cap (not likely) it will be very frustrating and probably prevent anyone that does to quit playing at a faster rate then to just make an alt. Just my 2 cents. (I am ready to be yelled at and back stabbed to death :D )
EUO the only game you can kill a Dragon while butchering his dead brother at the same time.
ChrisCooper

Post by ChrisCooper »

I'd be all for a low cap. 200 seems like it'd be pretty fair and easy to hit, especially with the new party xp system.

I think a low cap would be good just for the sake of encouraging people to participate in parties more often. At the mid hundreds, every class can solo most dungeons without breaking a sweat.

After you hit the cap, reset to level 1 and choose from a long list of remort perks.

Free avatar change
New remort only mounts
Remort only weapons and armor
Access to new dungeons
etc, etc, etc

Shouldn't do any kind of stat boosting or xp boosting perks IMO. Maybe some automatic perks that you get after your first remort, like new races, classes, skills, etc.
I'm here to kick ass, and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubblegum.
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Ozimandias »

ChrisCooper wrote: I think a low cap would be good just for the sake of encouraging people to participate in parties more often. At the mid hundreds, every class can solo most dungeons without breaking a sweat.
Now that's the only (yet true as heck) really valid argument I've heard for lvl caps. Though I'd disagree with the 200 mark (500 or 450 would be best).

Or, maybe after 200, when you option to reset to lvl 1, you keep half of everything gained stat wise from before (i.e., not skills, spell lists, etc) but now you get exp at a very slow rate. Perhaps -1 in all stat gains as well?
There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't,
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Just set it at 500 as it gives Heniek and soon Zorgon and crew something to get to for a while longer. The resetting option after hitting it or at around 200 would need a tad more incentive than just keeping your stats. Though that would be pretty keen. Personally I'd say only have the option at lvl 500. Be sure they get some little armoury token to indate they hit lvl 500.
ChrisCooper

Post by ChrisCooper »

Like I said. At 150, anyone can solo most any dungeon, with the exception of Blood Moor and City of Shadows. Level 500 is god mode, period.
I'm here to kick ass, and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubblegum.
Mackey
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Mackey »

[quote="CinisterD]
-make dual classing a feature only for PD (im really going to get irratated with all the rogue/monks priest/monks that will come out )
[/quote]

Fuck that noise. Dual classing isn't the problem; Priest Class isn't even the problem. VM and VUM are the problem. Nerf the fuck out of VUM and make anyone with over 125% have a huge ass VM cooldown (12-15 seconds would be adequate)
Onyxt
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Onyxt »

Mackey wrote:[quote="CinisterD]
Fuck that noise. Dual classing isn't the problem; Priest Class isn't even the problem. VM and VUM are the problem. Nerf the fuck out of VUM and make anyone with over 125% have a huge ass VM cooldown (12-15 seconds would be adequate)[/quote][/quote]
You do know that has been done, right?
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

for cap:
- as a developer I don't have to worry about godly players or feeling obliged to add more harder stuff rather than working on the mid level content
- the playing field is finally level when you hit a cap, tho not everyone cares about this
- furthermore, as a casual player, the end is in sight. The end is never in sight when zorgon is getting 10 lvls a week at lvl 400+
- arguably mid game content will suffer if late game is continually being worked on
- in euo, levelling gets easier the higher in level you get - this is kinda ridiculous - you shouldn't be getting xp from monsters that are walkovers

against cap:
- you can level up forever, and doesn't levelling up feel great?
- anyone over 200 is already godly - the cap should have been left on at 200 and all those that were over 200 should have been compensated
- having a cap clearly states - "this is the end, grind yr ass off until you reach me"
- it's generally unpopular
- I think lvl 500 or even 400 cap is way too high, in terms of a number
- if there is a cap then do you add wow's "grind for items" for something to do when you're 80 500?
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

actually I'm kinda annoyed that no one over 300 has posted, which makes me wana slap a 300 cap on in retribution, then ban them when they complain because they didn't speak up when they should have
Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

X-D

I didn't posted anything about level cap in this thread so far, because it's not a big difference for me. If there won't be cap, and things will stay as they are now, it's cool. If there will be level cap, I'm fine with that too. Only thing I do not like is diminishing returns on stats, which was introduced three years ago, but as I understand it's not an option now.

Steep curve xp after hitting certain level seems to be a good idea. After hitting certain level, xp increment needed to gain new level would be exponential instead of linear. Due to this technically it will be possible to advance to level 1000, but probably you won't live long enough to do that.

Btw. This topic reminds me your forum post back from 2005. You was worried then that there are four players above level 200 and twelve(or so, don't remember exactly) above 150. Now we have 7 players above level 400, 15 above level 300 and 47 above level 200. Level 150 is barely enough to advance to top 100! Seems that level cap(or some equivalent of level cap) is needed, otherwise it's just a matter of time when someone breaks 500, then 600 and finally 700 or even more(with new party xp system, it's definitely possible to achieve).
It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.

Heniek, Macros, Reptile [reg]
Undertow, Macros, Khelavaster, Reptile, Burn [PD]
Dudle
on lolpatrol

Post by Dudle »

I try to check the forums every day or so...but I have been playing alot of other games...also have real life stuff to do too. I talked with you ingame about level caps, and how I feel fine about if a level cap is put in (whatever it is 200, 300 or 400), as long as anyone with overlimit characters can have thier excess XP transfered to an alternate character.
"I know that you knew that I know, but did you know I knew that you knew I know?" Cassanova Frankenstein 'Mystery Men'

"Buddah, Zeus, God...one of you guys do something!" & " Help Satan! You owe me!" - Professor Farnsworth 'Futurama'

"Hmm hmm hmm, when you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all." Probably a computerized space probe that collided with 'God' 'Futurama'
Rusty76
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Rusty76 »

Rusty is lvl 374 with 248,674,035 xp.

A level 200 char has 63,603,000 xp minimum.

The xp I'd have over level 200 would be 185,071,035.

185,071,035 xp is enough for 3 lvl 197 characters.

I dunno if transfering extra xp to alts is a good idea or not. It seems kinda wrong that I could have 3 new almost level 200 chars just out of nowhere.

If the cap were 300 or 400 this would be different of course but that seems a little high to put the cap at.
L1ndaP
Good morning, Captain.

Post by L1ndaP »

I'm not too concerned about leveling, I mostly grind because I like the opportunity of finding items. So level cap, as I told Egg in game, doesn't really matter to me either way. To make it simpler, just put it above where the highest person is, and reduce the exp gain, whether solo or party.

I do not like to party, so I feel as I am getting a lot less than those that do, but that is my choice. It is hard to sit back and see all those levels gained by people doing the same thing I do, but gets more benefit because they are in a group and I am not. I think the partying exp is way too high. Throw a bone to a soloist sometimes.
Kendal Kaelyn Stryker
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

rusty's right - it doesn't work. Even with a 400 cap,

410->400 is the equiv of +108lvls from 1,
420->400 == +145 lvls,
430->400 == +174 levels,
440->400 == +199 levels,
457->400 == +236