Book writing competition!!!`

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: Book writing competition!!!`

Post by Keighn »

I don't know what this is about but I can guarantee that many will skim your extensively long post and just roll their eyes.

Someone said it best to me me once in not so many words:
Play the game and have fun.
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

yeh I wasn't sure what the point of that was either

I'm completely lost as to what the ref to forum and rtfm was about
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

It's better in the manual then out, at least that way it is all in one place, its systematically organized and you dont have to troll through several pages of updates (or some random thread) to find that the feature you were looking no longer exists.
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
Zzapp
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Zzapp »

May i still post a book and it get put in the game? i wanna right a book about Cos's golden days and see it get put in :cool:
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I think the more books the merrier. I'm contemplating writing something about the phase anomalies. I was thinking that these might be linked to the fallout of mib's explosion and strange portal in the huge rift. I've been trying to form in my mind exactly how to make it relevant and interesting.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

you can try zzapp

keighn: you're a good writer so yes please
IT IS S
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by IT IS S »

Well every time I read a "journal" that says something like:
Ooh, I'm sure this is historical significant!
Or a "history" that says:
Joe really thought the the oleander were lovely in this time of year
I roll my eyes :P
Or are all these writings supposed to be "fiction"?
The point I was trying to make is: there already is a EUO history and culture, you don't have to make it up out of thin air.
There is no cheesing that is not skill
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

They prolly are. Wish I could grow some.
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Ozimandias »

IT IS S wrote:Well every time I read a "journal" that says something like:
Ooh, I'm sure this is historical significant!
Or a "history" that says:
Joe really thought the the oleander were lovely in this time of year
I roll my eyes :P
Or are all these writings supposed to be "fiction"?
The point I was trying to make is: there already is a EUO history and culture, you don't have to make it up out of thin air.
The only book(s) I made as fiction (that is, something fictional that doesn't have a real connection to EUO other than its references) was "I, Golem" 1 and 2. I'm not to sure if any other author took that kind of an approach - from what I've read they were either "religious explanations" or were to be taken as some sort of commentary/researchable thing.

And yes, there IS already history and culture in EUO, but before this event, much of it was vague and had some voids that could be filled in. Think of it like the Star Wars universe, you can either go by the bare bones of what its original creator provided in the form of film, or you could go deeper with the canonized books, games, comics, etc that continue the lore and fill any gaps.

Also, I haven't been an active player for a long time, and not too long ago I wiped the entirety of my over-filled pm box, forgetting that it might contain something to do with announcements regarding the book competition (I'm stupid for that, I know).

With that in mind, and the fact that recently skimmed through what I've missed in this thread, have all the winners in the competition + all the chosen books been announced or atleast decided on? Just wondering, not trying to get too anxious.
There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't,
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I got bogged down editing and lost interest but if u scroll up or go to the previous page there is a list of what is done and ready to go in.
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Ozimandias »

Ah, found it, thanks. However, whatever the numbers represent (best written? completed thus far?) they are missing a few, including 1 and 17.

Also, please don't tell me when you said you "lost interest" you meant "I won't finish editing and put them in game."
There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't,
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Ignore the numbers: they are page numbers in a word document I have all the books pasted into that are definitely going in.

I will put them in - but I just lost interest for the time being. That list on the prev page: all of those are almost ready to be cut and pasted into little euo novells.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Well the overall winner is GRUE with Gunther the Lost! (I had to drop the umalat in Gunther :o

It was the best written, the most interesting & relevant, and needed the least editing!

The following books by authors other than myself have been published - post or msg or email me with how you want your $5 of store credit - either as an av, or 50 coins or a name change or whatever - housing excluded!!

Gunter the Lost (part_1) - Grue - OVERALL WINNER!!!1
Gunter the Lost (part_2)
Gunter the Lost (part_3)

The Stolen Eye - Laughing Coyote - VERY HONORABLE MENTION!!
I Golem (part_1) - Ozimandas - I LIKE YOUR TERSE and DEADPAN STYLE BUT NEEDS A LOT OF EDITING! and editing is HARD WORK
I Golem (part_2)
The Master of Clones - Keighn - IF THIS WAS MORE ABOUT EUO IT MIGHT HAVE WON + has a wierd ending, which I kept nonetheless
Xile the Mage - Broden - NOT A BAD BOOK, it got renamed - the title was a bit twee

There are a few more I would like to publish, eg about another dozen by ozimandas, but these need a lot of editing, and I will get around to it eventually.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Congratulations Grue.
Grue
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by Grue »

eggmceye wrote: Well the overall winner is GRUE with Gunther the Lost! (I had to drop the umalat in Gunther :o
Wow . . . thank you sir, I appreciate the recognition for poor Mr. Gunter ( no umalat . . . quite alright ).
I've been working on at least one additional story for him, which once I actually have some time to play with, I'll work on getting it finished up.

I'd like to thank Ozimandas for his encouragement along the way, and his many early submissions . . . . Gunter wouldn't have been realized without him priming the pump, so to speak.

Thanks Keighn. :smile:
"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overrides the fear of death. - Speed Freak Motto "
"The Long Run - Daniel Keys Moran"
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Gratz to Grue, definately the best story submitted. Gratz to egg for finally finishing the editing... :D
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Ozimandias »

Grue, congratz! To be honest, I felt your story (with just a TINY bit of work and encouragement) would definitely beat anything I put out there. You should head into the "writing business" - whether it be bo0ks, journalism, whatever. I am an English major who's trying to get works published and even I have a tough time (you can tell just by how much egg had to "proof check" mine. Writers don't always make good editors, and sometimes the other way as well.)
Thanks for the credit, though I think the only credit needed is for me pressuring you to release it earlier. But still, thanks!

And egg, glad to see so many of mine got through. My favorite is I, Golem and I'm glad you liked it despite the well needed editing. I'm sorry I haven't written much since, and hopefully once this term is over, I'll come up with something new if you'd like.

I'll email you my requests. Just one quick question I need to ask so I know how much stuff I can get: Exactly how many of my submissions made it in? I don't even recall the number of how many I submitted.
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Ozimandias »

Sorry for double post.

I know this competition is sadly at an end, but I still want to write. And I think I recall egg saying that he'd still consider more articles even AFTER the comp was done and rewards were given out.

Anyway, I'm starting a new story, and I have a question: What's the time line and when do the events of EUO take place (ie, when it was created by god/egg major occurances, etc)? I know egg had a blunt explanation for that question, but I couldn't it in anywhere. If someone could PLEASE either find it or if egg could re-post it, I'd be a very happy panda. I vaguely remember him referencing the council and the avatar (who i think was supposed to be egg?).

I'm trying to write a tale that takes place between the "new" and "old" Sossaria, but I don't know of any official timeline, or what considered a no-no for writing so it doesn't conflict with what lore is in the game.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

well the closest thing to a time line is on this page under the timeline section:
http://swut.net/euo/manual/index.php/Co ... ew_Sosaria

where year euo year is 000 is april 2003, and each 1 rl day is 1 month in euo, and each 1 rl year is 30 years in euo
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Ozimandias »

Holy crap, I've never noticed that in the manual. Thnx egg. Reading now.

EDIT:
Okay, I was very confused about when New Sosaria was "found" (as well as a few other things), so, now corrected, it's safe to say the article I'm writing is AFTER new sossaria is formed/discovered.

Also, I noticed that the Council of Wizards has an unfinished list of names (somewhere towards the middle of the timeline section it is obvious it was formed by more than the ones we know). Now, I'm sure this is intentional, but how many council members were there? Am i to assume that the ones unnamed are deceased (and therefore maybe I could play around using them in articles and such)? EDIT: NEVER MIND THAT, I READ FURTHER DOWN. LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON