alpha server is back - with priests

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

alpha server is back - with priests

Post by eggmceye »

After having priests on the todo list for about 3+ years now, having busted a gut this last week and especially all today and most of yesterday, the priest class alpha is ready :band: and I now can barely be bothered writing about it.

Priests
Priest is a new hybrid fighter/mage class with roots firmly in classic priests/clerics from you know what (I can't say it out loud: it's copyrighted). Priests don't really need to pump points into int - but they mostly need it for mana. The DoT spells are not resistable, and flame strike does bonus damage based on your level (however higher int means it will affect higher MR mobs, usual story).

Priests get 2 schools of magic + blessed maces. The 2 schools are Piety and Divinity. Piety is unchanged, except it loses AXC (turn) which has been moved to divinity, while it gains 2 buff other spells, basically reworkings of the health scroll.

Divinity school is about blessing yr weapon, finding curses and getting rid of them, id-ing, detecting traps, damage over time spells for bad guys, 2 summon spells and one mass damage spell.

Blessed maces is something I agonised over ... I was going to explain it all but can't be bothered now - it might be in the priest thread in dev forum, I can't remember. All you need to know is, that for a priest to use a mace (and not turn into a fighter) they must first bless their mace. Bless is a circle 1 spell called Uus Yelm - casting it blesses your equipped weapon, but only works on maces. BTW, a priest with a blessed mace gets to use the special moves, including thunderclap.

Piety spell list
Same old piety, minus AXC. It's all healing and curing now, and has gained 2 buffs:

fortitude - Uus Mani - 4th circle
buff any creature or player for +50hp, wears off slowly

improved fortitude - Vas Uus Mani - 8th circle
buff any creature or player for 75+the caster's level

Don't forget: XM and XVM are ranged now ! So the priest can just sit back and heal away and absorb the party xp while drinking a cocktail. :nightshade: They can also do Damage over Time at range, and summon insects just to be a pain. Read on.

Divinity spell list
bless weapon - Uus Yelm - 1st circle
Takes any equipped mace and blessed it, allowing you to fight like a cleric and not a fighter!

uncurse - An Yelm Quas - 2nd circle
Just like the uncurse scroll, but now it's a spell

power word pain - An Mani Tym - 2nd circle
A damage over time spell - bit like bleeding

summon insect plague - Kal Hur Xen - 3rd circle
Summons 1 to 3 insect swarms. They are levelled proportionally to the caster level, so maybe this spell will always be useful. Just for fun, the swarms are summoned on a ranged target. Welcome to Egypt heathen!

identify item - Wis Yelm 3rd circle
Just like the scroll

protection - Sanct Jux - 4th circle

Just like the scroll - but no +5 def - can be cast on anyone

detect traps - Wis Jux 4th circle
This is a neat spell. It gives the caster for a short duration the ability to see traps. Trapped chests look like frozen mimics, traps on the floor are marked with the fire-ward cross and any hidden-cursed item on the floor appears cursed when you look at it or hit alt.

truesight on self or other - Wis Quas - 5th circle
lasts 10 mins (so does the scroll now)

turn - An Xen Corp - 5th circle
unchanged from piety but probably needs work

banish - An Kal Xen - 6th circle
will remove any evil aligned clone or summon without fail within a radius of about 3-4sq

summon sword golem - Kal Xen Des - 6th circle
summons a levelled sword golem to do the dirty work for you

divine hammer - In Ort Yelm - 7th circle
Will probably need a nerf. Enchants and soulbinds any equipped blessed +0 mace to the highest max + (up to 6), works on any material - will definitely need a nerf.

flame strike - Flam Grav - 7th circle
blasts a 3x3 area at range - dmg is scaled to caster's level, not INT

greater power word pain - Vas An Mani Tym - 8th circle
another damage over time spell, does more damage though

How to connect to the alpha server
i) use the launcher
ii) change the port to 26669
iii) connect with one of your reg characters - this is to transfer the datafiles
iv) logout then you can make a priest next login
v) (every time you connect to reg, then come back to alpha you need to re-receive the datafiles first if you want to make a new priest)

About the alpha server
- copy of reg, all players intact
- 15x xp
- 15x skills
- fast lvl up
- not PD
- will get wiped when done, but probably not during
- NG is down until alpha testing is done

New on the alpha server (other than priests)
- /respec command - use it to move your stats around to pretty much anything - this will not become a free feature on reg so don't ask - it is on alpha for testing and to help you respec for a priest if you want to convert an existing character
- mages lose piety (duh)
- xmp works on undead
- reveal has been renamed to An Quas - Wis Quas is priests' truesight
- protection no longer adds +5 defense, prot scrolls are no longer made soulbound
- truesight scroll lasts 10 mins

How to convert your mage to a priest on alpha
i) go to the uni
ii) look for SkullthorpeJr or whatever he is called near the entrance, and say convert, then yes - he will turn your sorcery into divinity, your magery into blessed maces, and will teach you every piety & divinity spell there is. Relog to get your skills transferred. He may or may not be a feature on reg when priests goes live.
Magrock
Here for the lesbians.

Re: alpha server is back - with priests

Post by Magrock »

eggmceye wrote:divine hammer - In Ort Yelm - 7th circle
..Enchants and soulbinds any equipped blessed +0 mace...
Bug: The soulbind does not seem to happen on this.
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Eclips »

It worked for me and my addy +6 club.

Couple of thoughts, though i didn't get to try it for very long.

*Was concerned about the lack of EU and KOP but realized if you dont actually need int except for MR and Mana you can lvl dex up. kind of cool.
*Spell cooloff for blessed weapons. I understand if they have to get a longer cooloff than mages, but it seems like blessed weapons should do something to help you're cooloff.
* priests would be a sweet dual-class on PD or with versatility.
* I was able to enchant my +3 addy to a plus six with the hammer spell. Seems like it should have the same rules as trans wands, or maybe different ones, but should still have exceptions of some sort.
* eclips (145) can summon insects and one hit headless, pretty sweet. Could probably take even higher lvl monsters.

Questions:
*Didn't have a lot of time to test it, but to health buff spells and scrolls stack?
* Are the damage over time spells affected by lvl? The greater one didn't seem worth casting when i tried it the few times i got to.
* Has anyone tried UA and piety/Div? I think i would prefer that to maces.
Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

KXD spell(summon golem) seems to be too good - haven't tested it with new char, but Heniek is able to summon golem which hits for 2000+ damage. Don't know if it's just matter of level, but it might need nerfing.
eclips wrote:Didn't have a lot of time to test it, but to health buff spells and scrolls stack?
They don't stack.
It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.

Heniek, Macros, Reptile [reg]
Undertow, Macros, Khelavaster, Reptile, Burn [PD]
ChrisCooper
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by ChrisCooper »

in response to the golem issue, I can't heal it. Was that intended? Or was it unintended due to golems having ridiculous MR?
I'm here to kick ass, and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubblegum.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Try golem repair kit. Golems shouldn't be affected by spells or bandages or w/e IMHO just like pets.
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Been fooling around with spells for priests. You will still need to get int up to at least 100 if you are to ever get 100 in piety. I haven't tested Divinity and the int tie in but I bet it will be the same as well. I just thought I'd let the obvious be stated in case it was overlooked.
ZUPS!!!!
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

egg wrote:he will turn your sorcery into divinity, your magery into blessed maces...He may or may not be a feature on reg
I plan to make Toadie a priest on reg eventually, since I've mainly only used maces with him and I don't mind losing my block and tactics on him. Any chance we could get some of those skills switchable? Maces to blessed maces would make more sense than the mage skill switches anyways. Maybe I'm just being irritable, but it seems odd only mages get a free pass on skill switching when priest is a fighter/mage hybrid class.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I added the soulbind on the enchant mace as soon as it was posted. You shouldn't be able to enchant +3 - did you disenchant it first? Is this spell a good idea? I originally had the idea for summoning a conjured virtual weapon that only lasted a minute or something, but that need a lot of extra support so I just thought to make it enchant instead.

The Health scrolls & buffs do not stack. They buff the same variable, and both scroll & spell will only buff that var to a certain amount.

DoT spells are not affected by level. I'm not sure that the softbuff DoT is that great tbh - if you are taking DoT, you don't know what it is from, and the dmg is not flexible. VAMT might be too crappy at high lvl, yes, because it isn't scaled to int or caster lvl.

Re nerfing/balancing everything to do with level: yeh this is a new concept for euo, so while it's kinda fun to think about it might need a lot of work. I usually just pull the figures out of thin air just to get the code written.

Re sword golem: it's a summon, so I don't really care if it is repairable or not! Again it might be too good, same with the insects. Either I make it crappier or put the summon time down. Both the golem and the insects are levelled proportionately to the caster. This idea is only about a year old, and not greatly tested. It uses the same bit of scripting that the brownthorne's mobs are levelled with (the scripts first appearance) and I think Rusty's maps use it too (he might have his own levelling script tho).

Re INT: yes this is true about the min 100 int! Should I make piety/divinity not int capped? The only reason to or not to is for balance.

Re converting a fighter to a priest: I didn't mention that when you have maces skill already, you can train blessed maces in max 100 hits. Each hit with a blessed mace converts 1 pt of maces to blessed maces (and vice versa). As for son of skullthorpe, he might not even appear on reg so don't whine yet.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Detect Traps at its finest:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

yeh it's cute huh :cow:

Something I realised about euo/mages: goddam it is hard to learn all those new runeword spells. Even having come up with them all I couldn't remember them and had to continue alt-tab to my priest spreadsheet. The cast from list is not helpful. The stats pane is better, being sorted by school then level. Both screens need the full spell name at least, and maybe school headings. UGGgghh magic is hard.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Flam grav can be cast on npcs and raised.

Something else I thought of in case the summons get too cheesy:

Components for summoning.
blank long sword = sword golem
carapace = insects
spider silk = spiders
sulphurous ash = daemons
dragon scales = summon dragons
eye/slime/brain/heart = summon monsters

1 component used per casting of summon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I completely forgot about staves making casting faster & using less mana ... I'll think up a work around for priests soon. Maybe just make priest spells faster/less mana as if staff was equipped, and make it so equipping a staff doesn't make them any faster etc.
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

It's working pretty well for me. If you wanna make it to where divination and piety aren't capped by INT then a mostly fighter priest would be able to make good use of the sagacity shrine. Anyone know off the top of their head exactly how much mana that adds? I like the idea of making priest spells faster cast to make up for the lack of a staff. Especially since I'd still be interested in using heavy armour since I'm so used to my mace/heavy gear combo. Should heavy armour be useful to priests? I dunno. My first idea was gonna be that blessed maces could be given the attributes of a staff, but that's not looking out for those possible unarmed priests :rebel:

One little possible bug. I may be wrong about this, but I opened a chest while hunting and it said the weapon inside wasn't mine to take. I'm thinking it may have been because my sword golem killed it. Other than that one little thing I am LOVING this :dance:
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Here's a small :cheese: :
bless your mace then cast the holy hammer spell or w/e to give it a plus and sell it. Time consuming perhaps; but you could make a lot of cash off of various hammers and maces here by selling them to an npc merchant.

Been playing around some more and thought that perhaps the identify and uncurse could be menu based like opening up your inventory and choosing what to id or uncurse rather than dropping the item on the ground. Unweld would be a nice early spell too.

Some other simply spells:
Xen An Nox - Cure Poison on other
Xen An Bet Corp - Cure Disease on other
Xen Sant
Xen Vas Sanct

Draw upon holy might strength (similar as ex uus works for dex but affects strength instead).

Bless (increases AS self 1 point every so many levels or int to a max of +5 - degrades slowly)
Prayer (increases AS like bless but in a small radius to friendlies around you to a max of +5 - degrades slowly)

Awaken (dispels sleeping from IZH and orange pots)
Cure blindness spell
Freedom or Free Action to cure AEP.

Dispel Magic - removes all magical spell effects in a radius on everyone.
ZUPS!!!!
TheOneGuy
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by TheOneGuy »

if you could click on an enemy/friend to target them that would make it WAY easier to play a support char. :cool:

i think tab takes to long when your friends life is on the line
all i want is a test server for maped then ill be happy ...
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

day 2 updates

misc
-- added rusty's new polypile script ! woo polypile does SOMETHING for the first time in 2 years
-- XMP is now level 5 (down from lvl 6)
-- revised standard monster levelling - their hp & xp is a bit lower - so this applies to LJ, brownthorne mobs, your summoned insects and heavenly sword golem
-- discovered that IVPY is not resistable :o

priests
-- adjusted priest spells so that they don't need a staff for fast cooloff and less mana, but if you have a staff they will be even better - this is not intentional and won't stay. I can't fix that until next patch, so try and avoid the staff for now if you want to keep your priestly conscience clean!
-- changed S and VS so that they can be spam-trained (you no longer get the no effect message)
-- VS circle 5 now, but adds 7 armour (up from 6)
-- sword golem is a little weaker and only hangs around for 20sec now
-- fixed a bug where priests weren't getting the full defence from heavy armour!
-- removed int cap for piety/divinity spells
-- AXC damage formula based on your level, not int
-- Flame strike FG was not resistable before, so nothing has changed (just incase you thought it needed fixing, I did)
Magnavox
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Magnavox »

eggmceye wrote:day 2 updates
-- discovered that IVPY is not resistable :o
I think that takes care of what I posted in bugs, yet white dragons could not hit me when they casted IVPY, Where zorns, could.

Still confused. :?

EMO
There are 5 levels of fatness.
1. Big
2. Healthy
3. Husky
4. Fluffy
and
5. DAMN!
Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

eggmceye wrote:-- added rusty's new polypile script ! woo polypile does SOMETHING for the first time in 2 years
I think that you shouldn't be able to polypile certain items(like gold coins) - I managed to get 10k cowhides and 10k glowing embers from 20k gold pieces. Might be a bit :cheese:
It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.

Heniek, Macros, Reptile [reg]
Undertow, Macros, Khelavaster, Reptile, Burn [PD]
Onyxt
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Onyxt »

Heniek wrote:
eggmceye wrote:-- added rusty's new polypile script ! woo polypile does SOMETHING for the first time in 2 years
I think that you shouldn't be able to polypile certain items(like gold coins) - I managed to get 10k cowhides and 10k glowing embers from 20k gold pieces. Might be a bit :cheese:
He also needs to tweak it a bit more. You can polypile fountains, and some chests, but you cant do braziers and other items in towns. You can also polypile ore and log spawners.