Bugs Thread - kinda updated feb 2010

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Re: Bugs Thread - kinda updated feb 2010

Postby Onyxt » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:27 am

So I got a crystal coin the other day on PD from a nixie (this is an old bug). So I got to thinking about why it could be happening. Is it possible that the Giant Crab or Kraken is despawning at the moment you kill a different mob and the server just assumed you kill it so you get the coin? Could you easily replicate this on the dev server?
Onyxt
Posting from my ass computer.

Postby Keighn » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:26 am

Plain nixie or a boss? I believe any boss has a chance to drop a coin instead of an item. Water mobs don't drop items on most servers but i guess a coin is possible. Used to be a bug with boss mobs not revealing they were bosses. In any event hard to tell if you can 1 shot kill mobs.

Just my thoughts since i recall the crystal coin droppings mentioned before.

As for kraken & crab. I personally enjoyed when they camped around somewhere. As is you better know when they appear or they will despawn (so i am told).
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Postby Devlin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:08 pm

Keighn wrote:Plain nixie or a boss? I believe any boss has a chance to drop a coin instead of an item. Water mobs don't drop items on most servers but i guess a coin is possible. Used to be a bug with boss mobs not revealing they were bosses. In any event hard to tell if you can 1 shot kill mobs.

Just my thoughts since i recall the crystal coin droppings mentioned before.

As for kraken & crab. I personally enjoyed when they camped around somewhere. As is you better know when they appear or they will despawn (so i am told).

I remember the days when it was impossible to get into S'line because a giant crab was blocking the way and it straight up killed me because I was a weakling at the time.

I'd rather they despawned, but maybe some kind of notification to say they're present would be nice - maybe something like when you enter a town "you overhear a rumour that a <boss> is currently attacking <town>"
Devlin
I used to bake rockcakes in my bakery.

Postby LordMortiferus » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:12 am

eggmceye wrote:so I think I have this after being showed the area, and have fix very soon.

what was happening is this:
when the drac lady around 78, 137 in the 2nd lvl of ToLS dies, she 'upgrades' all the nearby dragons
the crash was caused by the upgrade of a large dragon into a regular one: the pointers in the map were not getting cleared for the large part of the old mob, and when it died, there were pointers to dead dragons (crash inducing)
fixed by the enduring upgraded dragon stays large

Sorry for crashing the server.I looked into the code and found a general problem with the scaling - that is when the draconian, shadow or bloodkin mage is large:
Code: Select all
   local c = m:get_hp_max()/680
   local qBump = c + 1

hp_max would not be what was expected by me if the mage is large, though I have no clue what the result would be for the surrounding mobs that are upgraded - they probably will be as strong as a 2x2 mob. I have to look into this.

However, I do not understand why the server crashed with a 2x2 mob around. A wild guess would be the monsters:copy_from_base(mc, ptr) part. Max could you please go into some more details about the problem, I would like to understand this.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Postby Onyxt » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:17 pm

The hiboss on regular is a phoenix egg boss, which as far as I know is impossible to do. Maybe make that one to be kill Angela?
Onyxt

Postby eggmceye » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:49 am

LordMortiferus wrote:However, I do not understand why the server crashed with a 2x2 mob around. A wild guess would be the monsters:copy_from_base(mc, ptr) part. Max could you please go into some more details about the problem, I would like to understand this.

firstly you have nothing to apologise for ... not only because you made an awesome map but because the server shouldn't crash for any reason, even a scripted reason - it should be resilient to lua problems. and this wasn't even a lua problem.

so what happens is this: a large boss mob goes from occupying 4 tiles to 1 because it shrinks - keep that in mind

In c++ every mob is an object and for reasons of speed (which on a fast server I might not even need anymore) there are not 1, but 2 pointers to every mob (caveat incoming). There is a pointer in an array (actually a hashmap I think, or maybe a vector who knows) by mob id (so you can find a mob by it's id really quickly) and also every map (which is just a 2x2 array) has a pointer to the mob as well, so you can get the mob really quickly by x,y,z (with fast servers might not even need matter. also with better skills I might be able to come up with a better indexing system for storing mobs by id and xyz, but that is another story).

ok so you have your large mob. there is a pointer to it in the vector and a pointer to it via the map. *** well actually there are 4 pointers to it on the map because it takes up 4 squares! - 5 pointers total (that was the caveat: large mobs have 4 pointers on the map)

consider the scenario when the mob shrinks. you used copy_from_base or something, which reset the mob to small (in c++), which is fine. however when it shrunk, the 3 extra pointers used by the map to point to the mob are still there - set to the large mob. so as far as the map is concerned, the mob takes up 4 squares. this isn't crash inducing yet. it was at this point those pointers should have been nulled

the mob dies. what happens is the engine deletes the mob and clears the pointers. if it was a large mob it has 5 pointers to clear: the one in the vector and 4 on the map. however the mob is no longer large (yet it takes up 4 pointers on the map). only the vector pointer and 1 map pointer are cleared. 3 pointers to a DELETED object (the mob) remain. this in c/c++ is when crashes happen

later on, probably within microsecs, some other function is looking for mobs on a map - and finds one of the pointers to the now deleted monster. in short as soon as that pointer gets used, the server crashes because it is accessing invalid (deleted) memory (as a fun side note, if you just access the deleted mobs params, such as x, y,z name etc, it won't crash: but if you call one of the mobs methods, such as get_align() that is when the crash happens)

how I fixed it was the easy way: when you copy mob from base, don't change the large flag. So when mob changes code, or morphs, if it was large it stays large

how to fix it the proper way!:
1) let the mob reset to small, but when that happens ensure the map pointers are cleared - easier said than done
2) have a better data structure or system for mapping ids & coordinates such that you can pull a mob pointer any time - but not have to worry about deleting pointers twice - i think this is the ideal way but would require some effort to research it - but might be interesting one day
3) possibly keep the map pointers to mobs but remove requirement for 4 of them for a large mob: this will make other shit messy
eggmceye
hello

Postby eggmceye » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:50 am

Onyxt wrote:The hiboss on regular is a phoenix egg boss, which as far as I know is impossible to do. Maybe make that one to be kill Angela?

I saw that when reviewing it and thought it would be a cool furphy for you guys to think about and get upset about
eggmceye
hello

Postby Onyxt » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:06 am

eggmceye wrote:
Onyxt wrote:The hiboss on regular is a phoenix egg boss, which as far as I know is impossible to do. Maybe make that one to be kill Angela?

I saw that when reviewing it and thought it would be a cool furphy for you guys to think about and get upset about

I was more surprised it was even an option. Not upset at all.
Onyxt

Postby Flamesoffire » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 am

From what I can test, some enchants make bloodbolt not cast if the enchant fires at the same time. Vog and aep seem to be fine. But ijo and vf have been taking the rage but doesn't fire bloodbolt. It's not exactly common having both fire at the same time but when it does and I don't even fire bloodbolt, kinda sucks.
Defeating a sandwich, Only makes it tastier... - Vegeta.
Flamesoffire

Postby LordMortiferus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:19 am

Thanks for the explanation Max.
I think I do understand the problem with the pointers for a large mob now.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Postby Keighn » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:05 am

Flamesoffire wrote:From what I can test, some enchants make bloodbolt not cast if the enchant fires at the same time. Vog and aep seem to be fine. But ijo and vf have been taking the rage but doesn't fire bloodbolt. It's not exactly common having both fire at the same time but when it does and I don't even fire bloodbolt, kinda sucks.

I recall that happening in 2016. Must still be an issue. I wasn't sure if it was a bug.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Postby eggmceye » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:29 pm

Keighn wrote:Gotta watch that tower and summoned swords. Unless egg fixed it a flurry chain can happen and dwindle your all to death. Got a perm that way once. And i was tanked and top hp. Doubt logging would have stopped it.

there was a flurry loop that could happen when a flurry hit triggered another flurry but that got fixed may 25, 2017
eggmceye
hello

Postby Assailant » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:12 pm

Blackbeard's ghost apparently boarded my ship and now I can't make a new one. Every time I try to use ship in a bottle on Assailant it returns "You have already made a ship!" My alternate characters can use it as intended. Even tried swapping ship in a bottle with LaughingCoyote and it still failed. To my knowledge no one was able to board it and keep it hostage.
Assailant

Postby Keighn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:17 am

So maybe a / command like /bottleship to reset it and immediately put it back. Sucks to those on the ship. Guess they drown or teleported to /bound town.

Blackbeard YARGHHHH! that'd be cool ship to ship boarding pirate battles.
Photobucket Suckz Monkey Nutz
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Postby eggmceye » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:09 am

pls specifiy server and character name

also, do you remember circumstances leading up to it - eg, did anyone else get on, swap captains, etc?
eggmceye
hello

Postby Assailant » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:27 am

eggmceye wrote:pls specifiy server and character name

also, do you remember circumstances leading up to it - eg, did anyone else get on, swap captains, etc?

Assailant on reg. I was roaming Maeondir and used it to hop across the water between crocs and tree ents then I suddenly couldn't make another ship. If I remember correctly it was only one water tile in between the swamp and mainland. No one else boarded that I know of and it definitely despawned after I x'd.
Assailant

Postby eggmceye » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:59 am

it will get fixed automatically (I think!) next server restart. It's not a problem with your char (which I did guess as being Assailant on reg but had to confirm because your char-file looked fine).
eggmceye
hello

Postby Assailant » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:28 pm

Ship is fully functional after the server reset and I am back to sailing the high seas. Thanks egg
Assailant

Postby LaughingCoyote » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:54 am

If you die just before you kill a boss, it doesn't drop anything. Not sure if that's a bug or a feature, but its annoying as hell. It might be possible it might be if you resurrect just as you kill a boss, it doesn't drop anything.

P.S. Happened again, definitely repeatable. :(
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.

eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
LaughingCoyote
My monkey's still learning the basics of e-mail.

Postby Eclips » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:23 pm

The Necro drain doesn't end when the monster dies like 20% of the time.
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

PreviousNext

Return to EUO General