New screenshot thread

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Re: New screenshot thread

Post by LordMortiferus »

Got the EUO running on an Pentium with 133 MHz (well made it to the menu screen and the animation were really slow). I will plug a LAN cable into the machine at one time to see if I can get onto the Worl Wide Web. I also tried EftV but the local moasv server crashed.
IBM_EUO.jpg
From bottom to top you see on the left a IBM PS/2 (proprietary s***, but the PS/2 connection for the keyboard and mouse survived the test of time untill USB took over) with a 386 processor and Win3.11. Next is a 486 IBM 450DX2 (updated with a DVD-drive, which works even under DOS) running Win95 and on Top the Pentium I running Win98 SE. On the right is the awesome IBM 5170, which is a 286 (Sadly the harddrive is broken).
All PCs have VGA graphics and, using an adapter for the IBM 5170, PS/2 keyboard/mouse connectors to be used with the Compaq KVM switch you see below the monitor. The keyboard is a mechanical Model M by IBM and the mouse the very first IBM mouse for the PS/2 (left mouse button seems to be broken though).
Sound is provied by PC speaker at the moment but I am trying to get my hand on a couple of old SoundBlaster cards.

Edit: After connecting the Win98 Pc to the net I was able to "play" EUO.
Edit2: The KVM switch died/burned after playing Arkanoid 2 on the IBM 5170 :fp:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luxorious
on lolpatrol

Post by Luxorious »

Awesome LM; That keyboard and 386/486 is the good stuff, good memories... :nightshade:
I have to say, when it comes to good game code and opt., euotopia is the best - It's the only game that works flawlessly on any setup I've tried it on!
Well, I didn't try it on "older" setups, but you know what I mean! X-D
No, I don't wear a watch. As my Dad used to say, "I'm not into time, man."
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

So I thought about advertising euo. I made some sample sheets that I would NOT use. Color prints cost .50 cents each. It costs $4.00 to start up the lamination device. .32 cents per page you want laminated.

So
$4.82 for 1 sheet
$5.12 for 2 sheets
$5.42 for 3 sheets etc... its that damn start up for the machine that is a bitch.

I thought of posting a profile pic of one of my alts on FUNDME as well. Eh....

Still I could make bookmarkers, posters and post them around. I need a better center piece though instead of that copyrighted CuriousGeorge and Eggy the whatever it is ...
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

Keighn wrote:So I thought about advertising euo. I made some sample sheets that I would NOT use. Color prints cost .50 cents each. It costs $4.00 to start up the lamination device. .32 cents per page you want laminated.

So
$4.82 for 1 sheet
$5.12 for 2 sheets
$5.42 for 3 sheets etc... its that damn start up for the machine that is a bitch.

<snip>

Still I could make bookmarkers, posters and post them around. I need a better center piece though instead of that copyrighted CuriousGeorge and Eggy the whatever it is ...
Where are you planning to distribute these promo items -- and how many? Not to disuade you from your efforts, but so far it looks like you're setting up to take a very expensive approach that, in all likelihood, won't yield a good return on your investment.

I've got 21 years of experience in business. Share a little more about what you're trying to do and I might be able to share some practical insight and advice that will both maximize your impact and save some money.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I really don't expect much at all really except a few raised eyebrows. Whether people come here or not probably won't matter since most people are on phones and not computers (well that's what I see). I'm not sure euo is even playable by phone.

Mostly I was going to just make some funny euo content posters that "might" get someone interested. It probably wouldn't considering todays minds. I'd be mostly cut/pasting euo gfx anyways...
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

it's nice of you to think and worry about it but from my experience posters/flyers etc are a bit of a waste of money and effort

so by all means amuse yourself but don't get hyped up by that sort of thing (as I tried with tshirts, with measurable results, which amounted to 0)
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

my euo unity 3d FPS project
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

Keighn wrote:I really don't expect much at all really except a few raised eyebrows. Whether people come here or not probably won't matter since most people are on phones and not computers (well that's what I see). I'm not sure euo is even playable by phone.

Mostly I was going to just make some funny euo content posters that "might" get someone interested. It probably wouldn't considering todays minds. I'd be mostly cut/pasting euo gfx anyways...
Keign,

Gotcha... I completely understand. But, like egg said, a lot of those efforts will probably turn out to be a waste of time. The Battle-Hardened Business Veteran in me wanted to point that out in my original post. The compassionate side of me figured it best not to stomp on your idea but see if there was a positive way to redirect those energies into something more constructive that would achieve your promotional goals. Flyers for most promotional purposes tend to be a waste of money unless you're going to print -- and distribute -- thousands of them. Often it requires tens of thousands of them just to get less than 0.5% return on your investment. And generally posters are only of interest to people who are already a fan of whatever you're promoting.

For example, people on Social Media love memes these days. If I were you wanting to help promote EUO I'd look at ways to come up with eye-catching memes with memorable quotes/slogans (usually humorous or meaningful to fans of retro games / Nethacks / Ultimas or MMORPGs in general) and the EUO website URL.

With trying to promote to the MMORPG crowd, when all else fails use a sexy woman in skimpy-totally-unrealistic armor, give her a sword (or big-ass projectile weapon), put her in a kick ass position where ample cleavage is showing and include the web address. Works wonders and best of all, no printing costs. ;)
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

eggmceye wrote:my euo unity 3d FPS project
Lovin this...

I spent the Christmas holidays with my niece and nephews (11-year old boy, 7-year old twins). My 7-year old nephew did nothing but play Minecraft when we weren't doing anything in particular. Same with most of his friends.

Not sure if it'd be a good thing or bad to have the Minecraft crowd running around ingame but visually this 3D mode would capture their interest. For playability they'e hooked on using controllers and not keyboards -- is there any way to map the most common commands to buttons?
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I was thinking about making a straight wolfenstein / doom like shooter out of it for a laugh
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

eggmceye wrote:I was thinking about making a straight wolfenstein / doom like shooter out of it for a laugh
If input from the Peanut Gallery has any weight I say please do it! My gut feeling says this might be one of those 'for a laugh' experiments that takes off and takes on a life of its own...
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Well, my posters would have been in rather unusual places (probably limited time until the park ranger found them...)

Under a walking bridge in a dark tunnel....
On the side of a tree in a park or obscure forest...
Near a garage sale sign...
Given to a hobo begger (probably for a fee) at a walmart parking lot...
Next to a wanted poster in the post office...
any old board that allows you to put up wanted/for sale posts...

I'd try something humorous of course...

Not set in stone.. have other things to do. I do like them on my door and as placemats for eating.
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

Keighn wrote:Well, my posters would have been in rather unusual places (probably limited time until the park ranger found them...)

Under a walking bridge in a dark tunnel....
On the side of a tree in a park or obscure forest...
Near a garage sale sign...
Given to a hobo begger (probably for a fee) at a walmart parking lot...
Next to a wanted poster in the post office...
any old board that allows you to put up wanted/for sale posts...

I'd try something humorous of course...

Not set in stone.. have other things to do. I do like them on my door and as placemats for eating.
The dark tunnel and tree in an obscure forest are clever ideas, figuring anyone who has gone to such a remote place would check out the link out of curiosity. Not so much with the other options. And be careful posting anything up in the post office -- if I remember correctly it's illegal to do so in the U.S. and would be considered a federal offense. ;)
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I was thinking using pictures of real animals.

"9 out of 10 monkeys agree; play Euo"

Donkey
"Don't be a stubborn ass. TRy EUO today"

"I can't bear to game without EUO! Can you?"

"Soar above the rest. Euotopia is best."

Oh, with permission I suppose a miss Ripley, Bovindus, or Cowwy even (at least those animals are in game"

Just brain blogging with no commitment as of yet. The fact the laminated pages turned out was nice. I obviously need to get my own color laser printer, scanner, and lamination machine some day.

What I should do is load up euo at the library and play for half an hour. It's be at 10:30-11 PST though. Probably play my immortal punisher since I'm so rusty and would die from a rat.
ZUPS!!!!
Luxorious
on lolpatrol

Post by Luxorious »

Damn that Unity example is "dope". I though about starting a project with OpenGL/c++, but you'd have to be pretty hardcore to write a game from scratch, atleast these days. Damn whippersnappers using U4, Unity and such. Keep up the good work, eggmceye!
On a side note, I've though about streaming Euotopia PD with akwardly thick finnish accent. That would probably give the game some publicity.
No, I don't wear a watch. As my Dad used to say, "I'm not into time, man."
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

yeh doing c++ opengl is pretty hardcore these days: that is what moagl is and that was a lot of work, and it is TON of work to keep updated (hence it is updated much)
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

The end of a rare fire ward phase in Roadwarrior Town:
20160526-201823.png
The end boss was good!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Djanno :smoke:
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

ha cool, yeh didn't design that on purpose
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

You beat me to that fire ward Djanno. I think there is another mob that does that as well.

Well, in any case the daemons summoned by Guards for the vampire quest are also Good natured:

Ah, seems some of the Road Warriors are also Good Aligned:

And I thought I'd mention the vampire quest again: It isn't even the right color being also white "!" or "?" Not the standard yellow and bold.

I do think its time for me to actually go through and chat with every last NPC in the game on some fresh alts and record all they say for quests and not quests. I think there will be text I will have a hard time finding like when you go to someone and don't have the required quest objects and they give you their text on your failure or what you need. The reason I will be doing this is because I think its high time various NPCs get some personality and aren't just a "WHAM, BAM, THANK YOU MAN/MAM" and that's it. Usually the NPCs are find em and forget em. You'll see more of the bald merchants than remember say the Guards in Pendragon or other places.

I just have to not get distracted and not grind..... ha ha... yeah.. HAHAHAHAHAHAA... mmmmm hmmmm... me not grind... that's just rich.

HEY HEY GNOMEO thanks for being in MIB. Tell Colt to give me back the leadership and I can then promote you to senior officer since you're on a lot.
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

Hm, maybe all road warrior town phases will have good bosses. I've only encountered a phase in there once.

Ah, Colt invited Gomeo to MIB (last summer and I haven't seen him since), I thought sure why not.
Djanno :smoke: