Pets not leveling

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Cirrus
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Cirrus »

kaiser wrote:I tamed a orc brute and it wasent gaining any xp
I noticed this with a fire lizard I tamed.
Ken Oh wrote: Same thing with a couple troll priests right now. I wonder if there isn't a bug with certain monsters that prevents them from gaining exp.
I used to have a troll priest and I am sure it gained xp, so I think it's a bug.
Killsmith
BBQ ABC <3

Pets not leveling

Post by Killsmith »

I tried searching the forums and asking in game, but I can't seem to get an answer, so I'm going to go ahead and make a topic.

A few days ago I started working on my taming. I've got it up to 80 now and I've noticed that none of the spellcasting pets I've had would get exp towards leveling. At first it didn't bug me because I get my pets killed before they're even bonded, but now I have a frost mephit and it's not earning exp either. I've tried everything I can think of, which isn't much, basically just changing the pet's orders.

Does anyone know what's causing this or how to fix it?
Killsmith
BBQ ABC <3

Post by Killsmith »

Tamed another one and that one won't gain exp either. I don't know what's going on.
Killsmith
BBQ ABC <3

Post by Killsmith »

Ok, it was a really stupid fix. All I had to do was rename the pet and it started gaining exp normally. I've never had to do that with melee pets, but apparently you have to rename mage pets.
jumpstart
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by jumpstart »

Should still be fixed though...

Should still gain exp.
~Mario
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Ok so I had a quick look, based on the fact that the pet got xp AFTER changing the name.

My immediate theory was it was the fact the pet had a default name "soandso's pet". But I couldn't replicate it, I didn't tame with food tho.

If you have had a problem with pet not levelling, please post your circumstances and how you fixed it.
Killsmith
BBQ ABC <3

Post by Killsmith »

Well, since renaming the pet worked for the mage pets, my immediate thought was that damage done by spells is not attributed to the caster in the same way that damage from a melee attack is and that somehow that makes the name of the pet important for keeping track of what damage it has done and what exp it should earn.

Also, the default name when you tame is just the type of creature it is. A tamed frost mephit's name is frost mephit.