merged keyboard problems thread

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Aeryn
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Aeryn »

The latest patch brought more keyboard woes for me. :(

Since the dawn of time I have always remapped Ctrl and Caps Lock in Windows, i.e. they are switched. Partly because the only righteous place for Ctrl is where Caps Lock is these days (and where Ctrl used to be before IBM screwed up the layout - Sun keyboards also have it there), but mostly out of convenience: I use Ctrl much more than Caps Lock, so it's more ergonomic, and because of an arm operation 10 years ago, also less painful. It used to work just fine with EUO.

Now, since the last patch it changed. My Caps Lock is in the lower left corner, and it works as intended in conversations, so it turns on Caps in chat, for example. But when I have to fight or use any Ctrl related action (attack, jimmy, turn off combat messages etc.), I can't use my remapped key from the middle row but have to push that lower left key. Arm goes gaboink.

Since I'm probably the only one with this "problem", I predict that nothing will be done for it, but have to ask - is there a way to switch these keys inside EUO, like the remapping of those specific keys earlier?
Aeryn
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Aeryn »

Since I seem to be completely alone in this matter, I have to regretfully admit that my EUO days are waning. I love the game, all the players (yes, even the crooked ones ;) and the atmosphere, but...

In addition to what I told in the previous message, when I have to use bottom left Ctrl for combat, it also turns on caps lock for chat. So it kinda works but then doesn't.
laz
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by laz »

Tried different keyboard, with english layout? Since you are finnish i imagine it will make a difference on some characters, but it would be just to try to figure out where the problem comes from. :(
Aeryn
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Aeryn »

laz wrote:Tried different keyboard, with english layout?
You mean physically trying a different keyboard? Yes, tried several USB and PS/2 keyboards, both FI and US. I also have changed the layouts in Windows back and forth. No help there.
laz wrote:Since you are finnish i imagine it will make a difference on some characters, but it would be just to try to figure out where the problem comes from. :(
The problem discussed earlier, i.e. some people not being able to use some special keys (like ` for example), went away for me when I had to reinstall XP and chose the English version. It now works with both FI and EN layouts. So that problem was dealt with earlier, and now I'm stuck with this new one, which appeared after a patch. :cry:

As it is, EUO is the only application that has any problems with the Caps Lock/Ctrl swap and I don't understand the system enough to understand why. Every other software, application, game etc. deals fine with it. Even Oblivion, which has a reputation of being sometimes rather anal about keyboard controls.

The funny thing still is that when I use bottom left Ctrl for EUO controls, it works rather normally, but it STILL turns on caps for chat, so the remapping IS handled at some level. Also, if I use Ctrl + R to reply to a private msg, the game simultaneously interprets it as capital R (i.e. shift + R, due to caps lock) and asks what I'd like to read.
ctrl_r_1.jpg
When I choose a scroll, for example identify, and press a dir key (with no item there), the cursor overlaps the /msg line.
ctrl_r_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

We've solved the caps/ctrl swap - no idea why it stopped working only a couple of months ago when the code chg for it might have been done a couple of years ago. I added a custom client.cfg option to use the old bit of code to check to see if the ctrl key was pressed and it works.

Code: Select all

old_ctrl_func=1
the only reason you'd bother to use this is if you swapped ctrl and caps lock using the registry hack linked here: http://www.manicai.net/comp/swap-caps-ctrl.html
Aeryn
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Aeryn »

*huggles eggmceye*
Heikki
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by Heikki »

Got problem with laptop T61p IBM ..
Example:
Pressing l for look or k for klimb and keys ; ' [ or ] for direction. I look myself or my character dont klimb.
Reg Heikki, Pyttipannu, Nappo
PD Soturi R.I.P , Taikuri, Rosvo

Joke of day:
A skeleton walks into a bar - orders a beer and a mop
Aeryn
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Aeryn »

Heikki wrote:Got problem with laptop T61p IBM ..

Tested with a T30, was curious... (XP Pro Eng with US keyboard layout.)
Heikki wrote:Pressing l for look or k for klimb and keys ; ' [ or ] for direction. I look myself or my character dont klimb.
Confirmed.

Looking: NE = ] doesn't work at all (no response), ; ' [ just look at yourself.
Klimbing: NE= ] doesn't work at all (no response), others give "You can't use that here - try a mountain." (And yes I was standing next to a mountain. :))

I think the same applies to many other commands + diagonal dir: tried SE direction with Jimmy ("no lock there"), Searching (no response), item bound magnifying glass ("Identify which item?"), reading a town portal scroll ("No room to create portal!"). There could be more.
laz
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by laz »

I had that problem when my keyboard had its configuration for Portuguese (the layout is US Eng), but changing the XP keyboard language to US Eng solved the problem (now i just have a usb keyboard and all is fine).
Could EUO be "mistaking" the systems' language for another, in both your cases?
Aeryn
I once posted in TFIOOC!

merged keyboard problems thread

Post by Aeryn »

laz wrote:Could EUO be "mistaking" the systems' language for another, in both your cases?
Don't know about Heikki, but I triple-checked my XP - for language prefs, keyboard prefs AND the registry, just to be sure. I don't trust Bill. :mrgreen:

The funny thing is that those keys work fine when moving, but not when preceded by commands that need direction. I don't usually play EUO on that laptop, so I mainly tested it out of curiosity.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I checked it out and made a change and hopefully next client patch it will be fixed. It's all voodoo - I just copied the bit of code that worked for moving to the bit that chks look-dir (etc).
Adogeon
Hey I just posted on an internet forum!

Re: merged keyboard problems thread

Post by Adogeon »

I cant type ''i'' in game I got qwerty keyboard If you help me I'll be grateful .
Vaylon
How do I attack?

Re:

Post by Vaylon »

radoteur wrote:`=
] shows up as [
\ shows up as ]
'

a bunch of my keys don't work in game. ` = ' don't work, so i can't use my merchant, use the shortcut for bandages. the associated shift keys don't work, either.
these brackets [] display when i press the ]\ keys. they're one off.

i'm gonna try reinstalling
This is exactly the same problem I am having:
equal (=) does not work
] shows up as [
\ shows up as ]
and the quote button (') does not work

My keyboard is a PS/2 Dell keyboard with no multimedia keys. My keyboard language is set to English (US). Is there a fix for this? The advice I received hasn't helped so far.
eggmceye
hello

Re: merged keyboard problems thread

Post by eggmceye »

I'll need your help to debug this.

Please downlaod http://euotopia.com/files/euotest.zip
extract to your euo folder
run euotest.exe
get to the screen that says Journey Onward, Create, etc
then hit the following keys (ie all your problem keys) :

Code: Select all

[
]
\
-
=
_ (shift -)
+ (shift +)
`
~ (shift `)
'
" (shift ')
etc

hit anything you like but don't hit q j c or r - as they will leave the screen
when done hitting your problem keys quit and email cl_log.txt found in your euo folder to egg@swut.net