MR = Magic defense?

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

DrBiggie
on lolpatrol

MR = Magic defense?

Post by DrBiggie »

What does everyone think about MR not only reducing AEP/XJ time, but also reducing the damage done by magic spells? Is there a reason why it doesn't reduce magic damage already?

FTR, I think MR should reduce magic damage.
"I should make a gold suit of armor for my pimp"

DrBiggie: wtfs up Raiden?!
Raiden: you high?
Cirrus
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Cirrus »

Sounds like a good idea to me. However, MR probably should not affect elemental attacks like fire and lightning, and maybe even earthquake.
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Eclips »

Egg mentioned before that MR could use some tweaking. I'm all for it.
I don't think the effect should be the same as the effect of Def on melee attacks though. The reduction in damage should be more slight than that for defense. Or MR could be the ability to sort of deflect a spell all together.

It definitely needs tweaking now with the new AI system. One VOG spell now means 3 or 4 immediate magic attacks when a party first attacks a mob. Casting VOG once can make you the target from anywhere to 5 monsters. Rogues could counter this by firing off a 2 or 3 arrows to each monster before focusing on one, but fighters are too slow to keep all the monsters off the mages back.
DarkIllusionist
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by DarkIllusionist »

I thought MR did affect spell damage...

Great idea if it dosent tho, it would kinda suck if magic resistance didnt resist magic...
Bk
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bk »

Cirrus wrote:Sounds like a good idea to me. However, MR probably should not affect elemental attacks like fire and lightning, and maybe even earthquake.
That rules out the main magic 'attacks' that dragons use, other than XC and XMP...
Bk
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bk »

DarkIllusionist wrote:I thought MR did affect spell damage...

Great idea if it dosent tho, it would kinda suck if magic resistance didnt resist magic...
That's the great thing, It does resist magic, if you are pertaining to magery (with exception of XJ)... Not Sorcery Resistance. :D

I don't think that ANYthing should really reduce magic damage, unless it was a SHIELD artifact... Logically, most knights that fought dragons carried sheilds, and blocked their fire with their shields, so I believe that there should be a Sheild that reduces magic damage by like a small 5-10%?
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

Its not completely true that MR doesn't reduce magical damage, I think Egg said that if you have 2x more MR than the int of the monster casting, you see reduced damage. . I just think the system now isn't the best it could be. 2x is too high, it should work on a graduated scale.
DrBiggie
on lolpatrol

Post by DrBiggie »

Why shouldn't it work just like defense does?

With defense, the attacker has to reach a certain ratio of AS to defense (no idea what the ratio is) to hit full damage. You could do the same thing with intelligence to MR. All monsters would have to have a set intelligence for this to work though. (I'm not sure if monsters have stats like players or not)

Cirrus
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Cirrus »

Bk wrote:
Cirrus wrote:Sounds like a good idea to me. However, MR probably should not affect elemental attacks like fire and lightning, and maybe even earthquake.
That rules out the main magic 'attacks' that dragons use, other than XC and XMP...
This would keep people with lots of MR from being too overpowered.
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

Monsters do have a set Int, i don't know if they all do, but the ones who would matter for this do.
Grodst

Post by Grodst »

Eclips wrote:Monsters do have a set Int, i don't know if they all do, but the ones who would matter for this do.
Monsters do have a set int.

MR could use a little tweaking. All things EUO have evolved. Not sure how it should go.

Sympathize with the plight of non-uber mages with the new AI! Kyrian got 7 lvls Sunday with the 5xXP. However, to get from 52 to 59 cost him over 50 deaths from voging too many draggies that the party couldn't deflect off to fighters and rogues. LR spent half the time using his claymore, the other half bandaging my smoked butt back together.
AI as is means the monsters attack their biggest threat. Makes TOTAL sense. I have started just using XC/XMP now. Much easier than dying after 2 VOG...

Do a search back about 2 years or so, there was HUGE arguments about VOG being too powerful. Consider it nerfed now.
Making Enchants the right way: one noob after another tossed into the lava.
Revan
I used to bake rockcakes in my bakery.

Post by Revan »

Grodst wrote:LR spent half the time using his claymore, the other half bandaging my smoked butt back together.
Hey, the least I could do considering how many times you've helped me off the operating table.
goemon: "Anyone wanna give me enchanted wood?"
Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

I don't like that idea.

In PvM mages would be way too overpowered, because it's obvious that they have much more int than other classes, and therefore, they have much more Mr. That combined with Mr boosting items would make them way too strong.

In PvP it would make them underpowered(no matter if it will look like defense for magic, or just reduced magic damage, some high level mages would handle this, but for most newb and low level mages it will be real overkill in PvP), so I'm against it.
It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.

Heniek, Macros, Reptile [reg]
Undertow, Macros, Khelavaster, Reptile, Burn [PD]
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

Who's to say it would be over powered? No one gave exact numbers. We only said that MR isn't enough as it is now. There is a middle ground between overpowered and underpowered, something a lot of players overlook when we get into these arguments. Anyways if i needed to i could go find when egg said that MR needed fixing, so it's not like you can used the "If its not broke don't fix it" defense either.
DrBiggie
on lolpatrol

Post by DrBiggie »

In PvM mages would be way too overpowered, because it's obvious that they have much more int than other classes, and therefore, they have much more Mr. That combined with Mr boosting items would make them way too strong.
It seems to me that high level fighters usually have a lot of MR too. I know that I have about just as much MR at my level as a lot of mages my level do. I don't think the gap is as wide as you think. This is probably because mages choose to wear +int gear instead of +MR gear, but that's what it is.
In PvP it would make them underpowered(no matter if it will look like defense for magic, or just reduced magic damage, some high level mages would handle this, but for most newb and low level mages it will be real overkill in PvP), so I'm against it.
If, like you say, high level mages will be able to handle it, then that shouldn't be a problem. Low level rogues and fighters don't ever have high MR, so low level mages wouldn't have to worry about it when they PvP people at their level. Higher level people will have a lot of MR, but a low level mage should expect to get killed fighting a higher level character anyway.

Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

DrBiggie wrote:It seems to me that high level fighters usually have a lot of MR too. I know that I have about just as much MR at my level as a lot of mages my level do. I don't think the gap is as wide as you think. This is probably because mages choose to wear +int gear instead of +MR gear, but that's what it is.
Yes, they have a lot of Mr because of: a) high level b) they're usually wearing Mr boosting items. If mage will choose to wear +Mr items(and if Mr would block damage, they would do that) they will always have much higher Mr, due to higher base int.
DrBiggie wrote:Low level rogues and fighters don't ever have high MR
They can always wear mr items, and that will give them some decent Mr.
Eclips wrote:We only said that MR isn't enough as it is now.
And why it's not enough as it is now? Any reasons? XJ/AEP reduced time(which is VERY useful, and can be life saver both in PvM and PvP) is not enough?
Eclips wrote:Who's to say it would be over powered? No one gave exact numbers.
Well, I already pointed it out in my previous post. Mages will always have big advantage in PvM due to their much higher base int. It would be also big disadvantage in PvP, because in that way other classes would have a way to block their attacks, and mages can't attack in other way than by using magic. As I said in other topic, PvP(and PvM too) is pretty balanced now. Why to fix something that isn't broken(and as far as I remember Egg agreed there)?

DrBiggie
on lolpatrol

Post by DrBiggie »

Yes, they have a lot of Mr because of: a) high level b) they're usually wearing Mr boosting items. If mage will choose to wear +Mr items(and if Mr would block damage, they would do that) they will always have much higher Mr, due to higher base int.
Ok I see your point, they would choose MR because it helps, but shouldn't they be able to? Fighters and rogues can bust out shields and def armor and be nearly immune to physical damage. Mages should be able to fend of magic damage too. Not be nearly immune to it, but they should definitely have an advantage over fighters and rogues,
It would be also big disadvantage in PvP, because in that way other classes would have a way to block their attacks, and mages can't attack in other way than by using magic. As I said in other topic, PvP(and PvM too) is pretty balanced now. Why to fix something that isn't broken(and as far as I remember Egg agreed there)?
Well I think being able to reduce magic damage PvP would even PvP out. Right now mages can put on defense PvP and be pretty invincible.

Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

DrBiggie wrote:Not be nearly immune to it, but they should definitely have an advantage over fighters and rogues,
Don't you think that it'd make killing monsters(and almost all high level mobs are using magic attacks right now) way too easy?
DrBiggie wrote:Fighters and rogues can bust out shields and def armor and be nearly immune to physical damage.
And in fact they're doing it(at least most of them) because defense in PvM is pretty useless now...
DrBiggie wrote:Right now mages can put on defense PvP and be pretty invincible.
Come on, how many mages currently can get enough def to completly block medium lvl fighter/rogue damage? Three? Four? Max defense that mage can get is about 73(76 with VS), and that requires full darkweave +6 set, which are VERY rare.

Edit: Ok, my valid point. Didn't noticed that def code has actually changed lately.
Last edited by Heniek on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raiden
I'd laugh if I saw a centaur IRL

Post by Raiden »

Ohk, since mages are sooo overpowered how come biggie can murder dudle with a 100 lvl gap?
DrBiggie
on lolpatrol

Post by DrBiggie »

Whoa I'm not saying mages are way overpowered at all.

Reasons why I have a chance against Dudle in a fight:

1. He didn't have def on.
2. I have a vamp AEP bow. Not many people do. Put Dudle up against any other fighter/rogue around my level and you'll have a way different result.
Last edited by DrBiggie on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.