Ship Building - Resurrected

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

stegos
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by stegos »

Someone on global the other night mentioned that woodcrafters should be able to make ships. I agree.

I would like making one and blasting the [beep] out of morons who PK me while I'm woodcrafting.

1. GM woodcrafter - make ship that can carry stuff.
2. GM Tinker - make cannons and cannonballs.
3. GM Alchemist - make gunpowder.

No close-up map of ship, just tile that is:

1. A container, some of contents of which can be cannons and cannonballs which you must supply somehow.
2. Can move through deep water but not shallow.
3. Must pay to dock at wharves that go beyond shallow into deep water.
4. Is account-bound or soulbound.
5. Ship has hit points and takes damage in battles and must be repaired by GM woodcrafter.
6. All inventory on the ship is lost when ship is destroyed, except for what is in your personal inventory.
7. When ship is destroyed it should turn into a raft, like clinging to a piece of wreckage:
- a. If you're in deep water then you're in deep doo-doo and take damage.
- b. If you're over-encumbered then you start drowning.

QUESTIONS: What happens to your ship when you sign off? Can other ppl attack it? Maybe not if it is docked at a safe wharf.

So there are both perks and risks to having a ship. Maybe shipbuilding could be a whole new craft or seafaring a new skill...
- the true heart of ultima... is virtues and all that hippie crap - eggmceye, 2-jul-04
- Sorry would be the day that Stegos does not have some ideas, even bad ones. - me, 26-oct-05
- K goin back 2 Erth now ... - Morthwyl's Dino, 27-nov-07
- Level-up tax - the BEST gold sink! - me, 9-jan-09
- Stegos said it best... - Akyla, 21-sep-04
Mackey666
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by Mackey666 »

I like this idea. Just another thing for me to work on. Give me a week, I'll have 10 of each ship for sale (considering they're not soulbound).
Seriously, I can get 1k of ore or logs in half an hour. GMing tinkering and woodcrafting would finally have a reason. Also, maybe weapon smithing for cannons, armorsmithing for, like, ironsides (reduce dmg to your ship, but slow you down, like heavy armor; could also do light/med/heavy types of ship armor).
I'd like to see as many different crafting skills as possible involved in this, to make it a challenge. Maybe even throw enchanting in there to be a dick (christen the ship?).

For the largest ship (galleon?), maybe after finishing it, buy a "house" for the number of tiles, and then have your ship be a map. If that's even possible, a moving map. Unless of course your "ship" map, was a stationary map, but your ship could act like a portal, in that if you typed a /command, or hit spacebar, you'd enter inside your ship. For paying for the ship, if nearly destroyed in battle, it would drop some of its "cargo", IE, your stuff, and your ship would be "resurrected" in some port, or something of the sort.

For battle, your ship could have a certain HP, and when lowered to a certain point, boarding would be possible. Possibly, several tile ships, for a few players to stand on it. Or the previous Idea that when entering into battle, a battlescreen shows up with both ships, and a plank between the two. I suggest a several tile wide plank, so as not to be clogged by one player, or one ghost, giving an unfair handicap to those who don't posess IP or cyan pots.

Just my thoughts. I'd really like to see any of the ideas people have come up with, as ships would be pretty damn cool.

(Mounts anytime soon? heh)
"I've got a bottle of rum, a case of code red, and two packs of smokes... Let's do some dungeon crawling." - Mackey

"Are these blue demon looking things hard?" - Kromage
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

OH SHIT... SHIPS..

Now we can really have pirates....

Then sooner or later someone would make a clan for butt pirates...
Skullybones
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Skullybones »

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!
Tabitha
on lolpatrol

Post by Tabitha »

LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON I think the ideas of ships would be kool... waiting to see if it will ever happen or maybe ships could be donator only ... just a thought
Eternally Grateful To Pythian, and CIA ...TY
Mackey wrote:you guys dont jerk off to transformers? it's pleasure in disguise, dammit!

jumpstart wrote:People who call egg a EggMcFaggot should really suck his EggMcNuggets.
Zilverlight
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Zilverlight »

The merchant ship idea is actually, not that bad. Outside of each GuildHall, at the nearest water, there could be a ship placed with a small amount of merchant spots available where only clan members could place merchants there. Or have a clan merchant that is accessible by all clan members, having the clan members control the price of only the items they put in and/or the clan leader controlling it all.

As for boarding, I really don't find that much a good idea.

Ships that can move through rough seas without taking damage would be neat though.
Desmond (AKA: Rurik)
Stinger
I'd laugh if I saw a centaur IRL

Post by Stinger »

I think cannons should be used as a ranged attack on the continent, not when boarding.

If more than one person could be in a ship at the same time, who would control the ship? :?
Zilverlight

Post by Zilverlight »

I don't see a reason for it.

Cannons on the continent would be too powerful, as well as, if they were put it, would take a good while to assemble it, and everything. I mean, cannons were nearly unmovable in wars. You placed them, and fired. You needed horses to move them around, and carrying them in your inventory or wielding them as a weapon? It'd be overpowered as a ranged weapon.
Stinger

Post by Stinger »

No, no, no! I mean cannons while you're in your ship, but not while trying to board someone else's ship.
Zilverlight

Post by Zilverlight »

Ok. Makes better sense. But as I still disagree with ships for combat, I will have to disagree with that... Sorry.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I started on ships today. I've been meaning to do ships even before euo was public, since 2002. I think it has been put off indefinitely as 'too much hassle' and the raft was the original ship.

Anyway I have a working single player ship with some infrastructure for passengers.

I'm not interested atm in how you get the ship. I'll give out ships to gm's for testing. I'm not rushing them, but am having fun making them for a change.

using the ship/storage: will be portable ship in a bottle which you use ... creator of ship is marked as the pilot. others will be able to board the ship for a ride.

exiting the ship - ctrl-x near dry land- raft will be ctrl-x too to exit

driving the ship: left,right rotates - up makes it go fwd. back does nothing. ships can only go on normal water and deep water, not shores and rivers.

shooting cannons: broadsides only - maybe anyone onboard with cannonballs in their inv can shoot cannons - but this means balls can't be too heavy. Makes sense that the ship has them in stock, but don't know how to actually do this. It's a detail for the time being.

ship damage: another thing I have to think about. If the ship is destroyed then everybody is cast out and drowning and up to them to quickly use their rafts.

what happens when the pilot disconnects? probably make one of the other passengers the new pilot.

why use a ship and not a raft? to shoot cannons at mobs and always kill them (no xp though), to shoot at other ships, to go thru deep water and not take damage.

who can get a ship? maybe established guilds only, maybe anyone who can make one with 100 woodworking, and 1million logs (or whatever) - should they be rare or should everyone get one? to be decided.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

couple of things I thought about ...

winds: I should probably put winds in, which means there will be sails up & sails down, and moving with the wind ... getting too hard? maybe.

Ships would move fastest when sailing across the breeze, mid speed with wind behind and slow speed when moving into the wind. Is this worth the effort I wonder?

Would ship fights be especially awesome with winds? Or would it be crap since you can only move NSEW.

If there are winds then then can be the change wind direction spell, y for yell to toggle sails (yell hurl and furl or whatever they were).

If I'm putting winds in then you could have hot air balloon too. Moving the ship as I have done it now could be constituted as rowing.

EDIT:
after thinking about it for a while, I think the ultima-v style winds & steering would not only be hard to do but probably crappy to play. The only reason I liked it in u5 was that it was fast travel. Considering it's probably even harder to drive a u5 ship than a reallife one, maybe the way I've done ships now, ie left/right chg's course and up makes you go forward is the best way.
scglass

Post by scglass »

Yeh, the winds in U5 were a neat feature and definitely a tip towards realism but they were a pain in the ass.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

one of my favourite games on the c64 was Pirates! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier%27s_Pirates%21 - I think there can be a lot lifted from this to put in euo.

I'll provision early for different types of ships. Ships could have the following stats:

- max players it can carry
- max hp
- graphic
- speed
- number of guns (ie how much dmg it does)

I don't see much point early if ever for ships used for carrying items. Technical idea: ships could have a hidden npc used to carry items such as cannonballs.

With ships in, rafts should be fixed speed and much slower than they are now.

possible ship types:
  • sloop
  • junk
  • schooner
  • barque
  • frigate
  • galleon
stegos

Post by stegos »

Ships, cool!
scglass wrote:Yeh, the winds in U5 were a neat feature and definitely a tip towards realism but they were a pain in the ass.
eggmceye wrote:winds: I should probably put winds in, which means there will be sails up & sails down, and moving with the wind ... getting too hard? maybe. ... EDIT: after thinking about it for a while, I think the ultima-v style winds & steering would not only be hard to do but probably crappy to play.
My opinion only - skip the wind for now.
eggmceye wrote:Or would it be crap since you can only move NSEW.
Why would we have to be limited to cardinal movement only? Why can't a ship move diagonally? If ships can, then there are 2 questions that need answering:

1. Do we need diagonal ship graphics? If not, then a ship could move diagonally NW or SW or due W west while pointing west. Would give opponents some guesswork.

2. Can ships fire diagonally? If not using 45-degree ship graphics, then (my opinion only), "no" - only firing in cardinal directions. Although you could just as reasonably say "yes. Again, just my opinion.
eggmceye wrote:If there are winds then then can be the change wind direction spell
Can you imagine 5 players trying to control the wind for a whole planet simultaneously? Battle of the winds!
eggmceye wrote:If I'm putting winds in then you could have hot air balloon too. Moving the ship as I have done it now could be constituted as rowing.
Eh, this is EUO, not the real world. Magic balloon does not need wind.

Don't forget the whirlpool!
- the true heart of ultima... is virtues and all that hippie crap - eggmceye, 2-jul-04
- Sorry would be the day that Stegos does not have some ideas, even bad ones. - me, 26-oct-05
Mackey

Post by Mackey »

could have it if more than 2 people are casting wind control spells, it could cause a tornado/hurricane/whirlpool. i think that'd be pretty cool, a nice 4x4 whirlpool a pair of battling ships get sucked into, and nearly destroyed
Stinger

Post by Stinger »

Mackey wrote:could have it if more than 2 people are casting wind control spells, it could cause a tornado/hurricane/whirlpool. i think that'd be pretty cool, a nice 4x4 whirlpool a pair of battling ships get sucked into, and nearly destroyed
Sounds a lot like Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
:smoke:
Tabitha
on lolpatrol

Post by Tabitha »

Yeah a whirl pool thats sucks you into underworld... now you dont have to worry about your enemy... but all the mobs coming your way :D
Eternally Grateful To Pythian, and CIA ...TY
Mackey wrote:you guys dont jerk off to transformers? it's pleasure in disguise, dammit!

jumpstart wrote:People who call egg a EggMcFaggot should really suck his EggMcNuggets.
Stinger

Post by Stinger »

Maybe enemy(red health bar) ships should appear on the continent sometimes, sort of like how the Huge Crab does.
stegos

Post by stegos »

eggmceye wrote:you could have hot air balloon too
Remember how you said that the tailoring skill would be boring and/or useless? Well, maybe a GM tailor can make a hot-air balloon. That would be a nice reward. :)