FAQ/QUESTIONS/OTHER STUFF

"EUO - Further evidence that Diabloesque games kill real role-playing games."

Moderator: EUO Moderators

newmagna
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Re: FAQ/QUESTIONS/OTHER STUFF

Post by newmagna »

eggmceye wrote:yeh, ctrl-dir attack and all spells (inc fighter abilities) have different cooldown timers

if you're into euo history:
Fighter abilities used to be classed as attacks (code-wise) until about 10 years ago when they became spells for the purposes of an engine fork. I was working on making a post-apocalyptic mod of EUO called EAO which had server-side lua scripting, and all the spells & items became scripted, not hard coded in c++ (you know, separating logic from content, etc). That got abandoned but the fork was merged back into vanilla euo that we have today. Interestingly, Escape from the vault, which was started a new mod of euo in like 2012, shares only ideas and maybe some tiles from the original EAO. The online EftV is more or less what EAO was meant to be.

Quite a few years later I realised ctrl+dir attack and special move (now a spell) had separate cooloff timers, and could be used together as fast as you mash the keys. If I discovered that earlier, say 10 yrs ago, when I was more into stricter classes, I might have 'fixed it' - but it was realised at a time when I was more into 'just have fun already' and 'who cares' about strictness and 'multiclass combinations are actually interesting,' so I left it in.
I am, as a matter of fact, interested in EUO history! I found some stuff on the manual that details how it was in the early years, even though there weren't any details per se.
Are special(rage) attacks and spells separate too? and the monk abilities?
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

generally speaking, there are only 2 main cooldown timers: ctrl-dir attack and spells/abilities. so specials come under the latter.

(There are a couple of custom other cooldowns here and there (which use the buff system mostly).)
Crimson
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by Crimson »

I've been a longtime off and on member, was wondering how to log into my old account that has a variety of characters on all servers. Keeps saying not registered to account yet I can log into the armory and also find them in player search. Although, I can connect to the separate level 8 character on reg that happens to also show up in my armory. Can I just deactivate that one, or merge into my main old?

Thanks~
-Crimson-Riddick-Scorch-Dragarth-ShadowBoner-
Never make excuses or feel sorry for yourself in life. Nobody owes you anything. Don't use "I'm a product of my own environment" bull as justification for you not wanting to amount to anything in your life.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

email me please with your account name(s) and I'll help you out
egg@swut.net
Rumper
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Rumper »

I'm looking for new hunting grounds. Anyone know a place where there are lots and lots of Epic Shadow warriors? Preferably without spellcasters as they hurt alot in EPIC. 2-3K+ damage a hit...
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Build a map i guess. The physical challenge. I always hoped for more levels in the Giant maze with special 2x2s. You think of a map with heroic and epic instance entrances, goes from normal mobs to leveled mobs to 2x2 mobs to levelled 2x2 mobs. Maybe have some specials that summon more physical mobs and explode into physical mobs. And lots of near to fully immune high mr mobs.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

How hard would it be to rebuild an euo that is a turn-based party rpg like gold box, ultima 4-5, etc. Online gaming is cool fast and furious but i always wondered . Now with some exult for 6-7 you have some customization. Apple ii had some ultima 3 mods by a guy ( don't know how he didn't get sued since he sold them).
ZUPS!!!!
Rumper

Post by Rumper »

Keighn wrote:How hard would it be to rebuild an euo that is a turn-based party rpg like gold box, ultima 4-5, etc. Online gaming is cool fast and furious but i always wondered . Now with some exult for 6-7 you have some customization. Apple ii had some ultima 3 mods by a guy ( don't know how he didn't get sued since he sold them).
EUO is actually turnbased, except that every turn takes like 10 ms or something.
Also there are lots and lots of turn-based rpgs out there, even a couple mmorpgs.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Rumper wrote:
Keighn wrote:How hard would it be to rebuild an euo that is a turn-based party rpg like gold box, ultima 4-5, etc. Online gaming is cool fast and furious but i always wondered . Now with some exult for 6-7 you have some customization. Apple ii had some ultima 3 mods by a guy ( don't know how he didn't get sued since he sold them).
EUO is actually turnbased, except that every turn takes like 10 ms or something.
Also there are lots and lots of turn-based rpgs out there, even a couple mmorpgs.
actually it's the other way round!
euo is really is real time and was designed that way, but there is a hack I made for eftv, the 7d4l offline version, that made it appear turn based, but all that happens is that the server fakes 1s time-passed (or something like that) whenever the player moves or does an action, etc
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I also thought about, many years ago, like 10 years ago or more, about a mod or version of euo that had turned based multiplayer combat like ultima 4/5 ... complete with separate zoomed in combat map. when a player or players were in combat, their screens zoom into combat but all everyone else sees is an icon on the main indicating a combat taking place here ...

with euo as it is now, it would be a real drag to have to do combat like that, but could be really interesting for a new game using euo's engine
Rumper

Post by Rumper »

eggmceye wrote:
Rumper wrote:
actually it's the other way round!
euo is really is real time and was designed that way, but there is a hack I made for eftv, the 7d4l offline version, that made it appear turn based, but all that happens is that the server fakes 1s time-passed (or something like that) whenever the player moves or does an action, etc
So even eftv is not turn-based? O.O Revelations!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

yeh you can even turn it off and play it real time

in dat/common.cfg and look for turn_based=1 (delete line)
Rumper

Post by Rumper »

Is it possible that monks have a certain amount of magic dodge? Because it happened a couple times an epic dragon used fireball on me which didn't do any damage. There wasn't even a hit registered on my last damaged by log.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

dunno abt monks per se but dodge got changed such that it can dodge some magic, and I think VFs were part of that
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Kewl beans!
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I just checked my notes and it says 'fireballs can be dodged' so I would say only fireballs are dodge-able, as far as magic goes
Rumper

Post by Rumper »

I want a crater when a fireball is dodged!!! xD
Rumper

Post by Rumper »

I wonder who made the lycan cure quest line, especially the vintage wine part. I absolutely love it!
Azalynn
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Azalynn »

Can we get a total time played on an account? X-D
Regular
Thrall

PD
Thrall
Azalynn
Zyth
Tyrande
Azmodan
Elias
Az
Ass - LOTL
Zyth - LOTL
Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

Sometimes it's better to not know :smile:
It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.

Heniek, Macros, Reptile [reg]
Undertow, Macros, Khelavaster, Reptile, Burn [PD]