Ideas thread 2014

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: Ideas thread 2014

Post by Keighn »

I really wish I wouldn't have went to Christianity then fell away from it as during that time I deleted a hard drive full of ideas and shit. One thing I didn't post was a very modified fishing that included all sorts of different things including, bait, lures, swimming, more types of fish, different mobs fished up, underwater maps you could be pulled into, nixie underseas, transparency of water for underwater exploring, breathing underwater, drowning, new poles etc.

One thing I had was a new quest from Henry and when finished he gave you his favorite fishing pole which was unbreakable and you could afk fish the old ways.

MInd you AFK fishing would net very simple results and less change of catching bottles of maps.

I also wanted to put in nets and fishing vessels suggestions where you could haul in more fish. Maybe I was thinking too much of an industrialized EUO revolution. What next... the cotton gin?
Severian
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Severian »

Keighn wrote:bait, lures, swimming, more types of fish, different mobs fished up, underwater maps you could be pulled into, nixie underseas, transparency of water for underwater exploring, breathing underwater, drowning, new poles etc.
I like these ideas.
Zilverlight
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Zilverlight »

I agree with Emo in the sense that you do have near infinite amount of every item. He's right that you stockpile everything. This game doesn't need to be made more difficult for YOU to obtain items, think about all the other people that have next to nothing.

Not everyone plays this game 24/7 like you do, and not all of us have GM in every skill and are level 450 and have every artifact in every tint. If the find rate of these maps is 1 in 20 and you get 30 of them in an hour, Hey! That's 30 maps in an hour and then we spend another hour hunting them down. Why does it matter if it's more likely to catch maps in fishing than find them in chests? Wasn't Cartography initially made from maps being found while fishing?
Last edited by Zilverlight on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desmond (AKA: Rurik)
Zilverlight

Post by Zilverlight »

As far as the old fishing goes, Old fishing was perfect. I think it should be reverted back. If you want to avoid people AFK fishing and catching maps while not actually even playing the game (catching monsters was implemented to kill players who were fishing without paying attention and pets ruined that since dragons would kill the monster before it hit the player) Perhaps make something else that could happen on occasion to discourage AFK fishing.

You could be dragged under water by a very large fish, bringing you one tile off the shore so you could easily just step back onto shore, if you're paying attention. If you're not, you drown. Pets won't save that. Or if you are on raft or ship, it would drag you off the raft/ship (maybe keep fishing off a ship safe, ship in a bottle isn't the most common drop (even though most higher level players have them)
Zilverlight

Post by Zilverlight »

Completely off topic: Is there a book in game about MacroDaemon? and if not, can there be? Reading old archive threads and came across one that was very humorous about MacroDaemon claiming his first victims.
Severian
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Severian »

Zilverlight wrote:I agree with Emo in the sense that you do have near infinite amount of every item. He's right that you stockpile everything. This game doesn't need to be made more difficult for YOU to obtain items, think about all the other people that have next to nothing.

Not everyone plays this game 24/7 like you do, and not all of us have GM in every skill and are level 450 and have every artifact in every tint. If the find rate of these maps is 1 in 20 and you get 30 of them in an hour, Hey! That's 30 maps in an hour and then we spend another hour hunting them down. Why does it matter if it's more likely to catch maps in fishing than find them in chests? Wasn't Cartography initially made from maps being found while fishing?
Just because I seem to have a lot does not mean my opinion should be discounted.

In terms of frequencies and probabilities: it matters what quantities are used because they drive the value of things in the game and dictate gameplay. By your logic, it wouldn't matter if it was 1 in 20 or 1 in 2. So what? Imagine if you could easily obtain whatever you sought in a game, how long would you play that game?

And more importantly, allowing fishing to be a primary source of maps, will also reduce rogue utility since you'd be better off fishing instead of looting chests. Rogue skills will still help you when reading a treasure map and finding the treasure, but the fact remains: there is a much higher chance that looting chests will be replaced by (afk) fishing.
EmoMage

Post by EmoMage »

if that's your "research" that's fine. I've fished on PD for about 2 hours, MULTIPLE times i might add, and if your "theory" is correct, then i should have 60 maps each time i fish. that's fucking WRONG.

the most maps i've ever had in a 2-hour stance is like 15... MAX.
eggmceye wrote:
ParadoxOfChoice wrote: Zombie using bow/sling probably shouldn't give disease.

the zombies are pulling the arrows out of their ass
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

It's 1/20 and I'm happy with that ratio
I'm more inclined to make the game easier & more casual thesedays rather than harder so if anything I would lower it, but I don't plan to, just speaking theoretically.
kibman
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by kibman »

On the old fishing thing, personally i havent caught many maps at all. now taking into consideration as how old cart was. i remember getting an item pretty much 1 in 3-4 maps every time. since coming back i noticed that the drop rate for items is alot less now then it was for chests in maps. so making fishing back to how it was wouldnt be hurting anything since it takes more maps to actually find items. thats just my 2 cents
EmoMage

Post by EmoMage »

eggmceye wrote:It's 1/20 and I'm happy with that ratio
I'm more inclined to make the game easier & more casual thesedays rather than harder so if anything I would lower it, but I don't plan to, just speaking theoretically.
fucking. thank. you.

/rage_over_with.

I'm out of this thread now. you may delete all posts.
eggmceye wrote:

kibman

Post by kibman »

MACRODAEMON>YOU
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I think my problem with old fishing was that it was conceptually boring. New fishing is even more boring because you can't do something else while fishing without a bot. Sev & others have the bots. Unless the bots are for everyone to use then there is a technology divide that is making the game less boring for some, and you can argue all day if you like as to whether that is 'fair' or not.

Bots were quietly made legal whenever it was I deleted the rules page. I decided that the rules page was obnoxious and obsolete. I also thought some bots were ok - especially ones that help you grind up crafting. However that legality was tested a few months ago when someone (not sev LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON) made a bot that successfully was going thru dungeons and looting the chests. I asked that person nicely to stop but unfortunately they just stopped playing altogether.

My belief is that if there is something in the game that requires a bot then it should probably be rewritten and made fun or interesting, otherwise scrapped. Hence I am back to square one with fishing.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

kibman wrote:MACRODAEMON>YOU
remember that macrodaemon was created to specifically hand boot chars that were afk
now I am considering calling my game dev business (such as it is) Macrodaemon :p
kibman

Post by kibman »

i like the idea LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON, old fishing ftw!! or publicize the bots :P it'd also solve it
Zilverlight

Post by Zilverlight »

kibman wrote:or publicize the bots :P it'd also solve it
I agree with most games banning bots. I'm not saying it should be banned here, but that defeats the whole purpose of playing a game. If you're going to create a bot on this game to go through and get 100 in every skill (which i'm sure is the main reason it is being used today) and then you create a bot on another game, and another... eventually you have bots running on 5 different games and you're not playing a single one of them.

The games are meant for you to play on your leisure time and enjoy yourself in doing so. If your bot is accomplishing everything for you, where's the fun? Unless you get some sick enjoyment out of being better than everyone else because you had a bot do it for you.
Zilverlight

Post by Zilverlight »

Severian wrote:Just because I seem to have a lot does not mean my opinion should be discounted.
Btw, I'm not saying your opinion should be discounted. You have an extensive knowledge of this game that many do not. I'm saying your opinion doesn't hold much power to ME because I know how you obtained all those levels, skills and items. I don't consider bots to be a legitimate way of playing a game because you are not actually 'playing' the game, but that's just my opinion.
Last edited by Zilverlight on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kibman

Post by kibman »

eggmceye wrote:
kibman wrote:MACRODAEMON>YOU
remember that macrodaemon was created to specifically hand boot chars that were afk
now I am considering calling my game dev business (such as it is) Macrodaemon :p
doettttt!!!! i still wanna get a shirt made , isnt there still a site to do it?
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Zilverlight wrote:If your bot is accomplishing everything for you, where's the fun?
The fun is in writing the bot.

Writing them (for something like euo) requires brains, patience and actual experience playing the game, so be careful in your use of weak insults such as 'sick' (unless of course you mean it like 'fully sick' which I know you are not since you don't come from the western suburbs of sydney like I do).

I actually really admire the people who have made them - esp the guy that botted chest looting. It takes brains and creative thinking. you don't just google euo bot and install it and go to bed.

also sev hasn't used bots to gain levels (afaik), so you should fully retract that. He didn't even believe that old mate was botting chests.
Zilverlight

Post by Zilverlight »

I was actually talking about botting in general. All games. I understand botting is very complex and requires a great amount of understanding and intelligence on the matter, I'm not saying Sev is in any way stupid or sick in the way that I had stated, like I had mentioned, he is very knowledgeable about this game. I was saying in general, I think it's wrong for people to use bots to better their player in a game. That's just my opinion.

I can see your side in thinking if they can understand how to do it and they are able to write a successful bot, they should be allowed to use it, but it doesn't change my way of thinking that it's still using a form other than playing the game first hand and to me it seems unfair that these people rise above everyone else who is doing it all themselves.

It's like that person in class that studied for 8 hours yesterday to get an A+ on his test, and the guy that just got all the answers from someone else and still got the A+, but I also understand your logic in thinking if someone had the understanding and knew how to build a robot to do their house chores, why not? It's their own way of getting it done.

In no way were those comments previously mentioned restricted to EUO gameplay and I regret that I did not point that out sooner. My apologies.

PS: I also apologize if I bounce on both sides of the line, the way I think isn't confined to one particular side, I understand both arguments and typically make statements defending both. I failed at Civics class because I couldn't debate issues.
EmoMage

Post by EmoMage »

i say ban all bots...............................................

.........................................unless i can have one, then i think it's awesome and fair across the board.
eggmceye wrote: