Ideas thread 2007

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Raiden
I'd laugh if I saw a centaur IRL

Post by Raiden »

The new tints were made not to be crafted.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I love crafting and repairing. I wouldn't mind seeing armour having the possibility of being damaged in the same way that weapons wear. I love complex crafting trees. Naturally, I'd encourage anyone to come up with recipes and exact percentages for each step of the way. I'd also like to see the skills themselves branched out.

Something else I was thinking about was the old alpa Armour skills that increased as you were attacked (UA, Light, Medium, Heavy). I know now that you gain more defense out of your armour based on your fighter %. Perhaps the armour skills could be reimplemented. I'm not sure of a non-cheesy idea for higher percentages though.

00-09% -3 movement penlaty - 2 Def penalty -1 AS penalty (the awkardness of battling in such gear)
10-19% -2 movement -1 Def penalty
20-29% -1 movement penalty
30-39% Even Steven
40-49% +.25 movement
50-59% +.5 movement +.1 def
60-69% +.75 movement +.2 def
70-79% +1 movement +.3 def
80-89% +1.5 movement +.4 def
90-99% +2 movement +.5 def +1 AS
100% +2.5 movement +1 def +1 AS

I recall that armour skills weren't exactly the easiest to train either as you generally had to be hit and suffer damage. This would be fighter ability naturally. So I imagine for a rogue or mage that didn't want it would simply /limitskill light 0 for the skill not to increase instead of constanting trimskilling light to 0 all the time.
ZUPS!!!!
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Eclips »

Whips- Fighter skill weapons with increased range as skill increases. The max range being 2 tiles from the edge of the screen. Rage- Whip Lash - 1/3 chance of attacking any monsters within range with normal damage and a 75% chance of causing a wound.
Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

I'd love to see magic axes in(those from Ultima V/VII).It would be axe that fighter could throw at his enemy, and after hit it would return to owner.Then owner would need to catch it(not guaranted, based on axes skill and maybe on dexterity).If player wouldnt catch it, he would need to reequip it.

I like also idea of whips,but that range seems to be too big, maybe 2-3 spaces from player?
Zilverlight
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Zilverlight »

Instead of just having it be a fighter skill for armour skills, have it an every class skill. Depending on the body armour you are wearing, you will get skill in that armour type skill. Rogues will use Light, Fighters' Medium and Heavy skills will raise, and Mages can use unarmoured. Each armour skill doing different things to additionally increase the power of each class. Fighters' skills would increase their speed and attack power (they'd get use to the armor and therefore be able to move faster and be able to attack better). Rogues would attack and move faster with their skill, leather would also be strengthened mildly in terms of bonus defense, like + 1-2 max at 100%. A Mage will get bonus defense, a larger bonus than the others, say +5 max at level 100 or even better.

I don't fully understand the whip lash special attack, but perhaps instead of there being a chance that it'll work, it should be 100% chance and since we've got 2 wounding specials already, perhaps instead of wound, it could cause the monster to run away or paralyze or something, if it's whip lash. But having a 1/3 chance to hit and 75% chance that if it hit, it would cause wounds, it's just too, weak.
Desmond (AKA: Rurik)
kibman
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by kibman »

here's a farfetched idea, but here goes anyway. take the def gaining ability for medium and heavy out of tactics, and keep tactics strictly for AS only and make it available for all classes. then make the the armour classes for everyone. yeh yeh a rogue or mage in heavy might not look so appealing and it might be a little over powered but think of it this way the rogue's stealth skill would be hindered by the heavy/medium and wouldnt be able to run as quick. which imo would even it out and give new oppurtunities to the classes
Arkhan
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by Arkhan »

--Paperdolls! It would be interesting to see.
--Horses (complete with yelling Giddyup to move faster)
--magic carpets
--climbing gear to scale through mountains (and fall off and die if youre not careful)
--moongates.

I figure if youre going tribute style, why not go balls to the wall with it. What else was in Ultima V that wasnt in here?

First person dungeons? That would be similar to Neverwinter Nights online (the early 90s one not the recent one)....

that would be tricky to do but would be awesome. you could do it with a tilebased ray tracer maybe. It would work like Akalabeth, U1 and U2... ;)

:grubby: Im back, and im calm! *dance*

oh, and an intel mac port you stupid $&(#@#%@#&^@#9er :cool: :cool: :cool:

i kid. srsly.
Who the hell is General Failure, and WHY is he reading my disk!?
Gulnar
on lolpatrol

Post by Gulnar »

Arkhan wrote:--Paperdolls! It would be interesting to see.
--Horses (complete with yelling Giddyup to move faster)
--climbing gear to scale through mountains (and fall off and die if youre not careful)
You've been posting since 2005 and you haven't heard about the grappling hooks in EUO yet? Horses-maybe Smith could show up?

I don't know about magic axes, but U5 style morning stars would be cool. Mace weapons aren't very popular, so morning stars with a 2 square range (but not attacking through walls :)) might be cool.

Lots of stuff here that's been brought up before, I'll bring it up again:

(for Keighn) BRACERS!!!! (I play monk, would love to have these)

(for Zilverlight) MERCENARIES!!! (actually, I'm not real thrilled about this idea, mainly because it'd probably take a lot of work and benefits would be minimal-improve pet AI and I'd be more enthusiastic)

(for various people) RECYCLING USELESS ITEMS!!! We need some sinks for useless crap in the economy. Use smelting tongs and 0% mining/metallurgy (to keep this from being useful for skill gain) to turn any metal item (weapons/armour/tools) into 1 ingot. At 1 ingot/tick, this wouldn't be any better than mining for ore, and would improve the economy by eliminating crap. Should this apply to tinted items too? I'm not sure. Might be problematic if runed/addled/barbed could be recycled as well.
Pythian
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Pythian »

Gulnar wrote:
Arkhan wrote:--Paperdolls! It would be
(for various people) RECYCLING USELESS ITEMS!!! We need some sinks for useless crap in the economy. Use smelting tongs and 0% mining/metallurgy (to keep this from being useful for skill gain) to turn any metal item (weapons/armour/tools) into 1 ingot. At 1 ingot/tick, this wouldn't be any better than mining for ore, and would improve the economy by eliminating crap. Should this apply to tinted items too? I'm not sure. Might be problematic if runed/addled/barbed could be recycled as well.
You have been here how long, and you don't know about rubbish bins?

XD Just gettin you back for your comment on him :P
profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=475
www.methosk.com
A Personal Home Site Built From Scratch.
Daemon
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Daemon »

Gulnar wrote:RECYCLING USELESS ITEMS!!!
Some other games allow sacrificing of items.

This might not be a popular idea, but how about you have to sacrifice an item to get rid of resurrection sickness?
Pythian
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Pythian »

Daemon wrote:
Gulnar wrote:RECYCLING USELESS ITEMS!!!
Some other games allow sacrificing of items.

This might not be a popular idea, but how about you have to sacrifice an item to get rid of resurrection sickness?
The higher the level, the better the item?

So Hiekki has to sacrifice a Vamp +9 to resurrect? :P
profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=475
www.methosk.com
A Personal Home Site Built From Scratch.
Daemon
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Daemon »

Pythian wrote:The higher the level, the better the item?
Sounds good.
Pythian wrote:So Hiekki has to sacrifice a Vamp +9 to resurrect? :P
Maybe not. ;) But levels 0-19 have to sacrifice nothing, 20-29 a regular weapon/armour, 30-39 any enchanted item, 40-49 enchantment must be at least +2 AS/Def, etc. Perhaps with a cap of a +6 AS being the maximum needed, or a system whereby several lower level items can be sacrificed instead of one higher level.

It would need some thinking about to get it balanced, but if done properly could eliminate the item surplus of the game.

Another system could be "donating" items to an NPC to ensure continued bank usage, with larger inventories requiring a greater gift. Could be done weekly, like merchant tokens are done now. Failure to pay weekly dues could lead to inability to access the bank.
Arkhan

Post by Arkhan »

How about the virtue system.

That would add a nice element to the game.

Compassion, honesty, humility, valor, honor, sacrifice, spirituality, and justice!

*cheer*
Arkhan

Post by Arkhan »

LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON what about Iolo's triple crossbow?

shoot like this:!

\ | /

and have it have an option so it shoots like this

|||

That may over power archers just a bit though.
Daemon
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Daemon »

Arkhan wrote:what about Iolo's triple crossbow?

shoot like this:!
EUO's ranged system isn't based on the principles of a projectile moving along a predetermined path and hitting the first thing, it's based on specific targetting. So, Iolo's crossbow could be represented either by targetting three specific mobs, or an area effect once it hits the desired target.

Or like Spray n' Pray from Brownthorne's.
Zilverlight
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Zilverlight »

Arkhan: Horses.

I've asked about this a while back and no one seemed to respond. We've got cows, I think horses would be a nice small bonus that we could have and we could ride the horse. Have it as a monster and be able to tame it. It would 2x your speed but we've gotta think of a big takedown since that's a great bonus, such as 'while riding the horse, your attack has 50% chance to miss' and 'horses require being fed alot to keep happy and you can only ride them while they're happy'.

Gulnar:(for Zilverlight) Mercenaries.

I don't really see how benefits are minimal? Yes we've already got pets but think about it. At level 20 (which it takes a good while to get there) the best you can possibly get would be... goblin archer if you're looking for something that'll survive or gremlin if you're looking for something to fight. Goblins aren't worth it at level 20 taming. Higher levels such as 60, you've got ettin, that's the best. 80 you'll wanna go for an imp because by the time you get another decent monster, your imp will have grown into a devil. It takes alot of work to get a decent monster (not saying hard work is bad, but for those who don't like taming), but with a Mercenary, a player who would rather not have a pet, could then hire a human 'pet' who would do pretty much everything that pets would do. Using avatars from the player selection. Mercenaries SHOULD be weaker than monsters because it's just something that you get for a decent price without any hard work. There should also be a good price set on Mercenary Ressurection Scrolls which cannot be found nor could be inscribed. You must pay a fee of like 1000 to get one.
That way even lower characters could have a Mercenary that would travel with them as if they were companions. I don't really see anything negative about it. People were saying they need to be buffed, but they'd become too powerful, the price of the mercenary and the price of their res scrolls should be the counter weight, raising the price when raising their abilities.

Keighn: Bracers.

Would be a nice idea, and something else you also mentioned, belts. Though this would add too strong a bonus for fighters. Kratos and Jamaal have already broken 120 defense just about, with belts and bracers, they'd be breaking 150. It's a big disadvantage for rogues, they're not suppose to be able to take fighters easy, but when you need 60-80 AS to hit them 1's repeatedly, there's something wrong. I can't even hit Kratos for 1 damage, they're all misses. Maybe a 1 here and there, but it's a low % compared to how many times I swing. There should be some things that can't give defensive values such as rings and neck pieces, bracers and belts shouldn't either if implemented. This way, it brings down a good bit of the defense and would allow for people to use them the other way, for stat gain. Or raise the effect of dex and str and such on AS.

Arkhan:Triple Crossbow.

I'm all for it, I'd also like to see an option that would allow a predetermined path for the arrow to follow. It would allow you to hit certain things on the edge of a map, you wouldn't be able to shoot through windows or doors with windows and you wouldn't be able to hit moving targets with ease. It'd give range a new disadvantage and require skill to use it (skill as in judgement in knowing where the monster will be when the arrow reaches that depth. Not ranged skill level.) Spray'n'Pray from Brownthorn's would be a great addition.
Desmond (AKA: Rurik)
sumoworm
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

quests

Post by sumoworm »

in an attempt to add another layer of playability, I'd love to see a quest system administered by NPC's. Crafting quests, t-hunt quests, revenge quest's, and some very rare item quests as well. I'd like to see them randomly given by NPC's not simply unique one time quests like we have now.

There should be rewards proportinate to the quests given, and it would be cool if one's questing level was reflected by questing points which corresponded to a title or something that would be one more thing to brag about.

Finally, players should be able to give other player bounty quests. Sumoworm, up to here with spiderkeys, should be able to put a bounty on his head. Players receive a bounty invitation, and when the body of the victim is delivered to the bounty originator, the reward is given and the bounty hunter gets quest points.

I know I'd play EUO even more enjoyably if this system was in place.
Aristarch
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Aristarch »

The bounty idea sounds really neat.
Foul beast approaches?!
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

VYR- Like KVX the dragon improves with caster's int stat. Unarmed attack acts like a artifact, chance of casting 1 spell while doing a normal attack. Magic wouldn't even need to be int based as the type of dragon you are is already int based. Spells could have a flat rate of damage.

Drakes- Vas Flam
Whites-Clone
Blues- Chain Lightning
Greens-XJ
Blacks- XMP
Reds-XC
Grodst

Re: quests

Post by Grodst »

sumoworm wrote:in an attempt to add another layer of playability, I'd love to see a quest system administered by NPC's. Crafting quests, t-hunt quests, revenge quest's, and some very rare item quests as well. I'd like to see them randomly given by NPC's not simply unique one time quests like we have now.

There should be rewards proportinate to the quests given, and it would be cool if one's questing level was reflected by questing points which corresponded to a title or something that would be one more thing to brag about.

Finally, players should be able to give other player bounty quests. Sumoworm, up to here with spiderkeys, should be able to put a bounty on his head. Players receive a bounty invitation, and when the body of the victim is delivered to the bounty originator, the reward is given and the bounty hunter gets quest points.

I know I'd play EUO even more enjoyably if this system was in place.
Great in concept, but what happens when spiderkeys complains on global for a WEEK NONSTOP about being hunted???

All said, this is the most promising thing to keep folks interested long term, ASIDE FROM THE ENTIRE COOLNESS OF THE EUO CONCEPT ITSELF. Had to add the disclaimer... Random inane and insane quests would be entertaining. The inane part is most important.
Making Enchants the right way: one noob after another tossed into the lava.