Ideas thread 2007

Moderator: EUO Moderators

laz
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by laz »

Well, the way i saw it, you could add some stuff to help "pay" for progression. That way not only you'd be consuming gold, but items too.. We all certainly have lots of items that are not of our interest and have stayed in merchants/banks for ages. That way they could be put to use.

I think your "gold standard" idea is better, less confusing :)
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Eclips »

Summons, What if when they leveled it reset their time for how long they lasted. Secondly I wish they would be put on guard mode instead of running around like idiots.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

That would be pure folly as then summons that monsters cast would just sit there until attacked. I'd forsee easy slaughter. The only thing I hate about summons (from monsters) is that no xp is gained. I wouldn't mind if 10% was all i got so long as I got something.

Also, give the new enchanting system a chance. I think it is splendid and gives euo a new shift towards a different direction.
Last edited by Keighn on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZUPS!!!!
laz

Post by laz »

This just crossed my mind:

Since there are beds around, in towns and houses and guilds, and since there are two different avatars for chairs and beds (fighting and not-fighting) i'd like to suggest that when you "go to bed" you can recover your hp and mana faster than meditating, but it wont give any meditation skill points.

So, if you are low in hp/mana, go to bed, log out, when you return you'd be 100% (giving enough time would have passed to allow the recovery).

Oh, and obviously, one player could not go to another player's house and just lay on his bed/recover...
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Hey, good idea on not having meditation raise while sleeping in a bed or resting in a chair. Though, if you think about it; who in their right mind would train in a device that provides hp/mana faster. It would be defeating the purpose of training meditation. Still, I don't disagree with it. Makes sense that you wouldn't be medding while sleeping.
ZUPS!!!!
laz

Post by laz »

Well, lots of places have beds/chairs and since the dual avatar thingamajig is in place, i thought it could be something nice to add.

Maybe its too silly :grubby:
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

I think it would be better if you went to sleep in a bed and couldn't get up until all your hp and mp were recovered or you were attacked. Making it very risky to use a bed within a dungeon.
jumpstart
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by jumpstart »

I would like to see a level requirement for clan making.
~Mario
Magrock
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Magrock »

Gulnar wrote:
LaughingCoyote wrote: What if you just decide to stay in the map and reverse clear all day?

Anyway, with the rapid respawn rate we have at the moment crowding in dungeons shouldn't be that much of a problem.
I think more than anything, we need a clarification of rules and etiquette.

Is staying on the same map and hunting respawns a violation of the rules a la reverse clearing? Personally, I don't see this as a problem...
Imagine you are in a restaurant with many empty tables. You sit at the best table in the house which is currently empty. A stranger comes in and sits at the same table without asking your permission while tells you there are plenty of waiters and other tables for you.

I have already seen one player in particular that has been very disruptive by reverse clearing after I started at the very beginning of the level. They feel what they did is now permissible but they did keep me from getting kills in parts of that level. It would seem they are more interested in farming fire dragons than having manners.

If reverse clearing will now be permissible then at least that player should ask permission or leave when another player has started from the beginning of the level. The new re-spawn rate should not be used as an excuse to barge directly into another players hunt and prevent them from getting kills.
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

Magrock wrote:Imagine you are in a restaurant with many empty tables. You sit at the best table blah blah blah blah blahh ...currently empty.... Yammer yammer etc, etc. He goes on and on like this ...asking your permission while tells you... Just scroll up and read it if you really care about whatever he's having a cow over.
I almost crapped laughing at that :) An analogy about reverse clearing. Oh! And here we go... I love this part -
Magrock wrote:I have already seen one player in particular that has been very disruptive by reverse clearing
And he KNOWS who he is!!! :roll:

The forums just never get old.
Best little man bitch drama warehouse on the web.
Gulnar
on lolpatrol

Post by Gulnar »

Magrock wrote:
Gulnar wrote:
LaughingCoyote wrote: What if you just decide to stay in the map and reverse clear all day?

Anyway, with the rapid respawn rate we have at the moment crowding in dungeons shouldn't be that much of a problem.
I think more than anything, we need a clarification of rules and etiquette.

Is staying on the same map and hunting respawns a violation of the rules a la reverse clearing? Personally, I don't see this as a problem...
To restate: We need to clarify ettiquette, or have firm rules that define hunting respawns as "reverse clearing".

With constant respawns, "reverse clearing" is harder to identify. Playing "straight" through a dungeon may involve backtracking from dead ends, or crossing a previously cleared area, fighting through respawns in either case. Different players may take a different route (e.g., clockwise vs. counterclockwise) through the dungeon than you, such that the you meet them halfway through a level coming from the opposite direction.
Magrock wrote:The new re-spawn rate should not be used as an excuse to barge directly into another players hunt and prevent them from getting kills.
Agreed
Magrock wrote: If reverse clearing will now be permissible then at least that player should ask permission or leave when another player has started from the beginning of the level.
That would be courteous, yes. I hope players would do so.

Magrock wrote: Imagine you are in a restaurant with many empty tables. You sit at the best table in the house which is currently empty. A stranger comes in and sits at the same table without asking your permission while tells you there are plenty of waiters and other tables for you.
As the rules/etiquette currently stand, I understand that the person who was there first should have priority
Magrock wrote: I have already seen one player in particular that has been very disruptive by reverse clearing after I started at the very beginning of the level. They feel what they did is now permissible but they did keep me from getting kills in parts of that level. It would seem they are more interested in farming fire dragons than having manners.
Define "reverse clearing"? As I understand it, that involves taking a ladder/portal backwards to a previous level. As I understand your example, you got to a level AFTER another player. He should have priority, per your restaurant example. I don't know how you're encounter with him unfolded -my sympathy lies with however WASN'T an abusive asshole (didn't have manners). So, he got a few dragons in part of the dungeon. If he's not telling you not to pass him (in which case, he's the asshole), go past him and hunt in another part of the dungeon.
Magrock wrote:The new re-spawn rate should not be used as an excuse to barge directly into another players hunt and prevent them from getting kills.
This is ambiguous. Who's to say you didn't barge into the other player's area where he was hunting the respawns?

Explicitly outlaw hunting respawns? Keep in mind that there'll be some gray areas; dead ends, opposing paths through a level, etc. Strict first come/first served? Keep in mind that somebody could potentially hog a small level for hours on end with the respawns.

How about, everybody show some fucking courtesy? Sharing levels is entirely possible, if you don't freak out about missing out on 10 dragons in DF or whatever. On the other hand, if you've been hunting those same 10 dragons for 2 hours, let other people pass you, and consider letting them kill those 10 dragons for once while you go find some different stuff to grind on.
Pythian
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Pythian »

May I throw out a suggestion?

Single Player/Party Instances. Have a NPC somewhere, in some town, that you can go to, pay say, 25k gold, and pick a map. And then, the NPC sends you to an instance dungeon, that only you can hunt (If your in a party, you can send them a TP and they can join you.). There will be a NPC at the end/beginning of said map, where you can go to and get teleported out. If you log out, you get sent back to the town where you talked to the NPC that sent you there.

Anyways, that would help get rid of dungeon crowding.
profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=475
www.methosk.com
A Personal Home Site Built From Scratch.
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

Pythian wrote:May I throw out a suggestion?

Single Player/Party Instances. Have a NPC somewhere, in some town, that you can go to, pay say, 25k gold, and pick a map. And then, the NPC sends you to an instance dungeon, that only you can hunt (If your in a party, you can send them a TP and they can join you.). There will be a NPC at the end/beginning of said map, where you can go to and get teleported out. If you log out, you get sent back to the town where you talked to the NPC that sent you there.

Anyways, that would help get rid of dungeon crowding.
along with this, itd be nice to have different difficulites associated with the maps - ie Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Elite.. or something like that. of course as the difficulty goes up, so would the fee to have the map spawned (25k, 50k, 75k, 100k?). i'm not sure if map overcrowding is really an issue anymore (mag's just making a big deal of nothing again like an infant) but it'd definitely be an excellent money sink.

i unno if this is stretching the idea, but thatd be nice if the dungeons werent just the usual long ass hallways and random 10x10 rooms with 4-5 monsters in each.
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

All of this is completely unnecessary. If someone steals your dungeon and no GM is on, PK him or find someone who can. If they aren't pvp wait until they are near a bunch of dragons and lure them all to him and go invisible while you watch their ass get fried.

Who has 100k to blow every time they want to hunt. I sure as hell don't.

It really doesn't need to be as complicated as you are all making it. If it keeps happening msg egg. He cares more then he's given credit for.
Zilverlight
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Zilverlight »

Just 2 quick ideas.

An item that, while it is in your inventory, gives off + 1 NV. Extremely rare or created only by alchemy and made soulbound. Just something that will give off light without needing to be worn. Perhaps a max of 3 at a time for players.

The old way of Backstabbing reimplemented.
Desmond (AKA: Rurik)
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Keighn wrote:I think I posted something about an NPC merchants located in a very difficult place that could increase an item of yours.......
Ok, those prices were pretty damn steep. Here's a revision. You provide the weapon, soul shard, and gem. It becomes SOULBOUND:

Weapons
+1 = 1,000
+2 = 2,500
+3 = 5,000
+4 = 10,000
+5 = 25,000
+6 = 50,000
+7 = 100,000
+8 = 250,000
+9 = 500,000

Armour
+1 = 2,500
+2 = 5,000
+3 = 10,000
+4 = 25,000
+5 = 50,000
+6 = 100,000

Nightvision/Magic Resistance
+1 = 5,000
+2 = 10,000
+3 = 25,000
+4 = 50,000
+5 = 100,000

Vigour/Stats
+1 = 500
+2 = 1,000
+3 = 1,500
+4 = 2,000
+5 = 2,500
+6 = 3,000
+7 = 4,000
+8 = 5,000
+9 = 6,000
+10 = 7,000
+11 = 12,000
+12 = 17,000
+13 = 22,000
+14 = 27,000
+15 = 32,000
+16 = 42,000
+17 = 52,000
+18 = 62,000
+19 = 72,000
+20 = 82,000
+21 = 100,000
+22 = 125,000
+23 = 150,000
+24 = 175,000
+25 = 200,000

And the standard progression applies. That's significantly cheaper.
ZUPS!!!!
Gunther
How do I attack?

Post by Gunther »

Hello,

I've spent a few years looking for an alternative to Ultima III/IV, two games I played religiously on my trusty C64 back in the early 80's. Stumbling upon EUO was a surprise. Couldn't imaging anyone would still be interested in old-school adventuring, and yet here it is!

Anyway at the risk of repeating what may have already been written, I have a few suggestions that lean more towards cosmetic improvements. I'm a new player and unfamiliar with the whole MMORPG scene & EUO's gameplay/balance issues.

1. Improve pixel artwork tilesets for Snowy Island. The trees look like they were drawn by a programmer.

2. Display the selected item's 16x16 tile right of "Item Detail..." list when (v)iewing, (d)ropping, (L)earning ect. The item names are self-descriptive but having an image of it righ there would look cool nonetheless.

3. Redo the flat-colored blue and white border graphics. Now... I understand the logic in keeping them the way they are, being uniquely distinctive from EUO's fine pixelwork and thereby removing any confusion of having the border look as though it was part of the playfield. But I think they can be drawn in such a way that looks cool while at the same time not merging gfx-wise into the game itself (i.e. Duke Nukem 1). Ideas may include some skulls on the corners, bones, symbols... The border tiles can be nice looking 16 - 1x16 - 1's (instead of the limited 8x8's), too, with a solid black single pixel border dividing frame and playfield.

4. Make the playfield circular, and only circular. It makes a bit of sense (within the limits of two dimensions) to have Adventures' visible area nearly equal in all directions instead of four directions and d * sqrt(2) at the 45 degrees. The circle view can either be perfectly round or within a tile boundry.

5. Diagonal walking speed should be slightly slower to account for distance traveled as opposed to pixels traveled.

6. Whirlpool hazard.

7. Can't remember where, but a typo that reads "who's" is used in the possessive by a quest giver.

I realize new artwork 'n' shit takes time and money. So, where do I make my donation? :smoke:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aristarch

Post by Aristarch »

Great, a new enthusiastic player :)
You are welcome!

Concerning the borders - there are skins you can download and use instead of the default one, check the thread on the boards.
New graphics are often drawn by players, you can draw some too if you feel so!
Foul beast approaches?!
Gunther
How do I attack?

Post by Gunther »

Keighn wrote:I noticed some ice tiles in the bugs thread. Also remember the fog tile that were created. I'd love to see those. I was going to try to make a moving cloud thread/stationairy fluffy clouds for perhaps making maps up in the sky. I think Aristarch should try this out.
Hey yeah a translucent fog effect (or evel tule fog) would be cool, especially in the graveyards. Clouds I'm not so sure of personally. Impeding the view with overcast means the player cannot see through the clouds even though visibility is clear from the players' perspective. I read somewhere EUO is using MMX instructions so the fog effect can be done post haste without additional LUT. Oooh scary!
Jaral
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by Jaral »

Well if we are talking visual effects, there are a whole string Id love to see in EUO someday.

*Environmental effects - storms, rain, snow, etc. Some places like snowy island would always snow, but on the main map there could actually be weather. Adds a nice little bit of immersion to the game.
*Special effects for some spells could stand to be improved.
*Tiles should be able to blend together better. This mostly means drawing tiles where different terrain types meet so that it looks more natural.
*I dont if there is enough support in this community (ie talented graphics artists) but really the game could look pretty damn nice with 32x32 or larger tiles and more animation for characters. Animation for movement in each direction, animation for magic attack, animation for melee attack, animation for being hit, possibly for death. This would make selling avatars a little bit harder, since youd have 50-100ish tiles to write instead of 4.
Battle for Wesnoth, a turn based freeware strategy game I used to play a bit, has graphics about like I am thinking. They are just a touch on the cutesy side, but not at all anime or retarded like that.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Screenshots. Also note that Wesnoth uses a hex-tile based system. This is TONS of work to make graphics like this, but they rock...