Staff Fighters

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Cirrus
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Staff Fighters

Post by Cirrus »

Staves/staffs are an interesting weapon choice, because they are not tied to any one class. I’ve somewhat recently tried to make a character that primarily attacks with staves. His classes are currently split up this way:

50% Necromancer – for extra health, soul transfer, and corpse explosion
20% Monk – for sanct mani (he’s a vampire, so can’t use priest)
30% Mage – for an mani, believe it or not. With attack gear, it can be pretty effective while not draining mana

Note, my staff fighter will probably have to drop his magery, since an mani won’t scale well at a high level, and I’ll need to put a large amount of stats in int to keep it afloat.

I’m not saying this is the best way to make a staff fighter, but it’s been working for me. Has anyone else made a decent staff fighter?
"If my head were any harder, you could use it as a cannonball!" - Pazu from Castle in the Sky

"Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue." - Proverbs 17:28

"The first annual Procrastinators' Club member meeting has been postponed until further notice." - Rusty's old sig.
Riksta
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Re: Staff Fighters

Post by Riksta »

Interesting. What are your stats? Just enough INT for spells then pure STR?
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I have quite a few staff fighters. They are pretty damn awesome if played right. Here's some pointers I recall

1. They are non classed so you can be a completely 0% classed alt or anything in between like say 20% multi class in five classes or whatever.

2. Enchanted staves get high magic damage if using solid +AS gear like rings and necklaces

3. I recall charge working with staves so its a huge plus to hamstring opponents

4. Shields tend to suck with staves as far as blocking goes. Unless its changed. I suppose bonuses are still usable from a shield

5. If I recall staves are 50/50 strength/dexterity based. Check manual for confirmation.
Tink
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Tink »

Can you shield bash with a staff equipped? If so, I have an interesting build in mind heh.
Cirrus
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Cirrus »

@Riksta - I'm currently using a 50 str/50 dex balance, with some int added for spells/MR. I'm also using heavy armour for the MR bonus.

@Keighn - I didn't know that about charge. I'll have to try that! In terms of rage moves, MR cleave isn't too helpful.

@Tink - I haven't tried it. As Keighn said, blocking is impossible with a staff equipped, but I don't think that will necessarily stop shield bash from working. Maybe I'll test it to be sure.
Cirrus
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Cirrus »

Tested on Alpha: Shield bash doesn't work with a staff equipped. It seems you can only do that with fighter weapons equipped.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Pity. How did charge go for you and have you tried enchanted staves. Even an mani is ok with mega pumped up AS gear.