Help a newbie get going?

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Veramocor
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Help a newbie get going?

Post by Veramocor »

I couldn't find answers to these in the FAQ and would really appreciate nudges in the right direction:

My character is a level 16 swordsman that hasn't ventured too far from the first town (drawing a blank on its name) or Izumi.

1. Can swordsmen learn to cast spells? I bought the training for Mani in the first town but nothing seems to happen when I cast it (I do have spider silk in my inventory).
2. Can swordsmen learn to detect and disarm traps, unlock doors and unlock chests? If so, how do I get going?
3. I have about 15 unidentified items in my inventory and only 2 or 3 identify scrolls. How should I most efficiently go about getting the rest of my items identified?

Appreciating any help
GelnorII
Veramocor

Re: Help a newbie get going?

Post by Veramocor »

A couple more:

Can potions or reagents found in the dungeons be sold anywhere? The apothecary does not seem to be interested in mine.
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

Veramocor wrote:
1. Can swordsmen learn to cast spells? I bought the training for Mani in the first town but nothing seems to happen when I cast it (I do have spider silk in my inventory).
Yes, if your class skills cap isn't maxed out. You'll need to keep casting it to build up the % chance that it will work. This is a priest skill. (you don't need spider silk or any ingredients in inv for spell casting, just mana and skill)
Veramocor wrote: 2. Can swordsmen learn to detect and disarm traps, unlock doors and unlock chests? If so, how do I get going?
Yes, if your class skill cap isn't maxed out. You need to search chests to detect, use a probe to disarm, use a lockpick to unlock. These are rogue skills.
Veramocor wrote: 3. I have about 15 unidentified items in my inventory and only 2 or 3 identify scrolls. How should I most efficiently go about getting the rest of my items identified?
Get a magnifying glass, drop the unid'ed item on the ground and use the mag glass, you'll build your Item Lore skill. Item lore is a not a class skill...

p.s. If you're human you get a total 125% class skills, so if you use more than 25% on other than fighter you won't be able to GM fighter skills.... unless you get to the Shrine of Versatility in the land of Maeondir where you can level up and gain class skill % instead of str, dex, or int.

If you're not human then you only have 100% skills to develop at first.
Djanno :smoke:
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

Veramocor wrote:A couple more:

Can potions or reagents found in the dungeons be sold anywhere? The apothecary does not seem to be interested in mine.
No npc merch will buy 'em. You can create a merchant yourself with a merchant contract and try to sell them to players though. Use the contract in Bartertown West or Bartertown East.
Veramocor

Post by Veramocor »

Thanks djanno, and I did see your message onine!

a few more:

1. I can't find the bandit camp that's supposedly near Broden's Keep. Help?
2. Is there any point in searching anything other than a chest or a corpse, i.e. a barrel, chest of drawers, bookcase etc? I haven't found anything anywhere other than a corpse or chest which is why I'm asking.
3. I keep running out of lockpicks and skullkeys so I can't even practice opening chests. Any advice on opening MANY locked chests, i.e. anywhere I could get a good supply of skull keys, any "tricks" I'm missing like how you can attack a door to bash it open?

Thanks in advance.
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

Veramocor wrote:Thanks djanno, and I did see your message onine!

a few more:

1. I can't find the bandit camp that's supposedly near Broden's Keep. Help?
2. Is there any point in searching anything other than a chest or a corpse, i.e. a barrel, chest of drawers, bookcase etc? I haven't found anything anywhere other than a corpse or chest which is why I'm asking.
3. I keep running out of lockpicks and skullkeys so I can't even practice opening chests. Any advice on opening MANY locked chests, i.e. anywhere I could get a good supply of skull keys, any "tricks" I'm missing like how you can attack a door to bash it open?

Thanks in advance.
1. Look for a cave near there.

2. Usually no, but looking or searching may reveal a detail, like what's written on a gravestone...

3. You just need to buy/find more picks and probes, build your skill up and they wont break as often.

Um, think you can buy keys at provisioner... I haven't bought any in forever ;)

Shift-c to get to Bash, you may have to buy the skill at the University.
Veramocor

Post by Veramocor »

Thank you, I appreciate the newbie guidance.

Is the cave the same one that we find Herman the Hermit in?
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

Explore it and see! ;)
Veramocor

Post by Veramocor »

Djanno wrote:Explore it and see! ;)
Somehow I knew you were going to say that :). :lesson:
Veramocor

Post by Veramocor »

Found it and killed the ettins. Thanks.

So for my next question, what guidance can people give me about actually getting into and taking advantage of the multiplayer/online aspects of EUO?

Don't get me wrong, I've been having a blast just doing the quests and building up my character (I'm still only level 20), but if there are features that I'm not taking advantage of I'd like to consider doing so.
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

Veramocor wrote:
So for my next question, what guidance can people give me about actually getting into and taking advantage of the multiplayer/online aspects of EUO?
If you count the forum you're already using some online aspects, right? ;)

In-game you can interact with other players: a little roleplay, socialize, ask for help etc..

There are multiple Clans.

Also there's an /invite command that you or others can use to form a Party. Party members share XP, and there can be up to five members. Makes it easier to hunt difficult areas..

If you haven't checked it out yet, take a look at the manual. Read/search the forums... tons of reading. ;)

Feel free to say hi if you see me ingame.