Mage guide (from manual)

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

Mage guide (from manual)

Post by eggmceye »

CinisterD's Mage Guide

Many things have changed in the world of mages. As the two previous tips-n-tricks only work for dual class mages now (Battlemage and Priest/Mage), it's time for a PURE mage rundown. Mages can no longer use actual shields and have lost the ability to use piety (healing magics). Mages also have low HP and AS/DEF. It can be a bit tough for you young aspiring mages, but don't count mages out yet! They have some of the best PVP capabilities in the game and also have the highest DPS (Damage per Second) gained each level. Meaning a maxed out mage can do massive amounts of damage, as well as kill multiple enemies at a time, while other classes need to focus on one monster when they're fighting. Mages also level faster than other classes as they can fight numerous monsters at once.

The nice thing about mages is that you can put almost all of your stats into intelligence, as where fighters and other classes have a specific str/dex ratio they need to uphold. You'll be doing some serious damage in no time!

Tip #1 Spells Spells Spells

As a mage it’s crucial to learn and master EVERY spell there is. Don’t really think you’ll need confuse later on? WRONG! A mage is only as good as his spells and abilities. Any spell you "overlook" or "don't really care having" can be crucial later on and you'll be glad you got them all. Also learn spell combinations, you’d be surprised how well certain spells work together (Ex. Next time you go to XC someone, try putting them to sleep first.....double damage anyone?)

Tip #2 Staves

Staves are a newer classless skill. It's the ability to fight hand to hand with your staff. Mages won’t be doing much melee, but it's important to master your skill with a staff. All weapon skills have a "master special" at 90% skill. At 90 staves you learn "MR Cleave". This will cut a monsters magic resistance in half. Can’t quite IJO that Balron yet? Try halving it’s MR and see what happens!

Another tip on staves is the magic side. Try to keep more than one staff on you. I myself walk around with about 4 or so (adamantium/ebony for damage, vampyric for HP gained from spells, Barbed for those tricky monsters who won't die, and a good leeching stave for when I run out of mana and blue potions.) And I can comfortably carry them all with about 100 str.

Tip #3 Key Binds

Recently the regular number keys have been switched to let us mages have more spell binds. (We now have F1-F8 AND 0-9) This allows for an arsenal of spells! On the other hand, there are MANY useful items that can be bound on the (0-9) keys. You should be also binding potions, other staffs, and many useful items to your (0-9) keys. My advice is to bind what you will be using as much as possible (BIND POTIONS!).

Tip #4 Pvp

Pvp is where mages shine! Not all spells work in pvp, it's important to learn which ones do and which ones don't. Mages have an entire warehouse of good spells to use. Learn what works for who your fighting (Reveal any pesky rogues trying to backstab, Hex those hard hitting opponents, Sleepwind lets you do double damage, Mana burn for those uber mages [Try it with MR cleave!],Paralyze to give yourself enough time to heal, Speed and Blink to make it that much harder to hit you!) Mages really are the kings of pvp but it’s easy to look too much on how strong they are and not enough on a mages setbacks. Learn ways to get around a mages key flaws (Examples: HP orbs + Greater Health Scroll + Crab Chowder = no more low hp mages, a high + defense suit, Speed spell for low dex). It's all a matter of preference on how we fight, but find the right combination and you'll find that you’re a force to be reckoned with!
eggmceye
hello

Re: Mage guide by Cin D

Post by eggmceye »

cat's spell guide (old)

Life is tough being a mage. Well, at least at first. It takes a long time to train magery, you're weak & feeble, and you cannot wear good armor unless you sacrifice your Int score (which is never a good thing!). This is a quick guide to survival as a mage, both in regards to monsters & player killing! Always remember that the two spells bound to F1 and F2 can be quick cast with shift+direction & shift + ctrl + direction. This is invaluable!! This guide will show you some of the usually unused features of being a mage, but is only a guide- a mage that you're happy with is far better than one carbon copied from the hints here!!

Stats:
As you'll see, high intelligence is obviously central, but surprisingly strength should be boosted as well, with dex being ignored. A very good survival tip is to ignore boosting Int until level 5-8, firstly putting all your points into Str until you have about 50-60 base score. This will allow you to survive longer without armour, and carry/wear more items. Then concentrate on Int, as this is necessary to raise your magery score- your magery score can only go as high as your Int score, so to get 100 in magery, you'll need 100 Int.

The Spells:

Most spells are obvious, but some have hidden benefits that I'll mention.

Ex Uus: Agility

This is a mainstay for mages, and the most useful spell, as it removes the need for mages to boost dexterity at all. The amount of bonus you get is directly related to the amount of Int you have. EU is now capped at 100, but it is still invaluable. You don't need much dex anyway.

Grav Por: Magic Missile
An invaluable spell- as it auto-targets, it allows you to flee from danger whilst harming those who are chasing you. Hit & run? or stay behind the fighter? are good tactics to use with it. Take note, however, that it will target the nearest creature: which means you could be wasting valuable mana destroying that nearby slime whilst the Orc Shaman keeps on casting!

Kal Bet Xen: Summon Spider
As with Kal Xen, many mages ignore this spell, instead eyeing the more impressive summon Daemon & Dragon spells with envy. Don't be one of these fools! Summon provides a free "meaty shield" around you, and if you're fleeing, will engage the enemy, thus covering your cowardly behind.

An Mani & Vas An Mani: Harm and Greater Harm
Mages at two stages (before being able to cast 3rd level spells and before being able to cast 5th level spells) face a rather unenviable proposition: their best attack spells require them to get "up close and personal". This is obviously dangerous- so mages should always use Sanct, and if available, Xen Jux (curse) in conjunction with them- it'll make your life easier!!

In Nox Hur: Poison Wind
One of the most underused spells- not surprising, as poison doesn't slow creatures down at all. However, it can be of use to PvP as it both poisons and makes a lot of splash on the screen, possibly allowing you time to escape, or get that lightening bolt off!

Xen Jux: Curse
Works just as well on monsters as on other players. Use it, as it also prevents creatures from summoning as well, which is always a bonus!

An Xen Ex: Charm
A prickly one this- rumoured to be bugged, and unpredictable, but use it if you dare?

In Zu Hur: Cone of Sleep
Vastly overlooked, this spell is valuable against a variety of monsters. Most players don't experiment to see which creatures are susceptible, but if you do, you may be pleasantly surprised!

Quas An Wis: Confusion
Only really useful if you're in a pickle, as monsters killing their friends doesn't give you experience. However, invaluable if you're fleeing. It is rumoured that monstrous humanoids are particularly susceptible.
Thrustpork
BBQ ABC <3

Re: Mage guide (from manual)

Post by Thrustpork »

Any way someone can spoil the location of circle 5 and circle 7 spells for me (sorcery and magery)? I can't seem to find either and I have been looking around for quite a while.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Thrustpork wrote:Any way someone can spoil the location of circle 5 and circle 7 spells for me (sorcery and magery)? I can't seem to find either and I have been looking around for quite a while.
Level 5 spells should be at one of the towns, check all of the towns. I'll list the level 7 spells here but ask someone in game if you still can't find them.

greater invisibility VSL - I believe this is a quest from Lenny in the Pendragon dungeon.

clone KXQ - This is a rare drop from white dragons.

chain lightning VOG - This is in the old SPAM guildhall, bring some dragonscale boots. There is a small island with mountains and lava, descend into the lava. You could also ask someone to get you a copy.

mana burn IJO - This is a rare drop from a lich.
IGN: 1
Thrustpork
BBQ ABC <3

Post by Thrustpork »

Sweet, thanks! One more thing. Is the SPAM guildhall not in the overworld map? I feel like i've covered every tile in the overworld and haven't found it.
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

1's advice about VOG is outdated. SPAM guildhall is gone. Look for another small island instead, no lava boots needed but have a shovel handy. ;)
Djanno :smoke:
Thrustpork
BBQ ABC <3

Post by Thrustpork »

That did it :)
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Thanks for the correction Djanno. Saved me a headache if I ever made another mage character.
IGN: 1
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

One thing I used to notice was how some groups of mages were terribly at partying. The big problem was some weaker Mage vogging and drawing unwanted mobs or changing the pull to themselves usually killing that Mage. Not sure how many times I've seen an entire part wiped out from an over eager vog.

In a multimage party I'd suggest designating some spells for various members. Obviously let the powerhouses deal the damage. The support might find cone of sleep, AEP, and even confusion more of help as assisting. Be a tad wary on confusion as mobs can target anyone. I've seen a lot of blood deaths from confusion and mace special

Clone and charm are also of great use especially if someone else has the aggro