priest development thread (moa 0.95b)

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

priest development thread (moa 0.95b)

Post by eggmceye »

If you want to convert your mage to a priest head to the monastery and talk to the Arch Bishop!!!

In case you have been living under a rock, piety is being made into it's own class, so unless you've been to versatility for a few levels you can't have VM and your sorcery school at the same time.

Priests
Priest is a new hybrid fighter/mage class with roots firmly in classic priests/clerics from you know what (I can't say it out loud: it's copyrighted). Priests don't really need to pump points into int - but they mostly need it for mana. The DoT spells are not resistable, and flame strike does bonus damage based on your level (however higher int means it will affect higher MR mobs, usual story).

Priests get 2 schools of magic + blessed maces. The 2 schools are Piety and Divinity. Piety is unchanged, except it loses AXC (turn) which has been moved to divinity, while it gains 2 buff other spells, basically reworkings of the health scroll.

Divinity school is about blessing your weapon, finding curses and getting rid of them, id-ing, detecting traps, damage over time spells for bad guys, 2 summon spells and one mass damage spell.

As far as blessing goes, all you need to know is, that for a priest to use a mace (and not turn into a fighter) they must first bless their mace. Bless is a circle 1 spell called Uus Yelm - casting it blesses your equipped weapon, but only works on maces. BTW, a priest with a blessed mace gets to use the special moves, including thunderclap.

Piety spell list
Same old piety, minus AXC. It's all healing and curing now, and has gained 2 buffs:

fortitude - Uus Mani - 4th circle
buff any creature or player for +50hp, wears off slowly

improved fortitude - Vas Uus Mani - 8th circle
buff any creature or player for 75+the caster's level

Don't forget: XM and XVM are ranged now ! So the priest can just sit back and heal away and absorb the party xp while drinking a cocktail. :nightshade: They can also do Damage over Time at range, and summon insects just to be a pain. Read on.

Divinity spell list
bless weapon - Uus Yelm - 1st circle
Takes any equipped mace and blessed it, allowing you to fight like a cleric and not a fighter!

uncurse - An Yelm Quas - 2nd circle
Just like the uncurse scroll, but now it's a spell

power word pain - An Mani Tym - 2nd circle
A damage over time spell - bit like bleeding

summon insect plague - Kal Hur Xen - 3rd circle
Summons 1 to 3 insect swarms. They are levelled proportionally to the caster level, so maybe this spell will always be useful. Just for fun, the swarms are summoned on a ranged target. Welcome to Egypt heathen!

identify item - Wis Yelm 3rd circle
Just like the scroll

protection - Sanct Jux - 4th circle

Just like the scroll - but no +5 def - can be cast on anyone

detect traps - Wis Jux 4th circle
This is a neat spell. It gives the caster for a short duration the ability to see traps. Trapped chests look like frozen mimics, traps on the floor are marked with the fire-ward cross and any hidden-cursed item on the floor appears cursed when you look at it or hit alt.

truesight on self or other - Wis Quas - 5th circle
lasts 10 mins (so does the scroll now)

turn - An Xen Corp - 5th circle
reworked AXC from piety

banish - An Kal Xen - 6th circle
will remove any evil aligned clone or summon without fail within a radius of about 3-4sq

summon sword golem - Kal Xen Des - 6th circle
summons a levelled sword golem to do the dirty work for you

divine hammer - In Ort Yelm - 7th circle
Will probably need a nerf. Enchants and soulbinds any equipped blessed +0 mace to the highest max + (up to 6), works on any material

flame strike - Flam Grav - 7th circle
blasts a 3x3 area at range - dmg is scaled to caster's level, not INT

greater power word pain - Vas An Mani Tym - 8th circle
another damage over time spell, does a little more damage than AMT while affecting a 3x3 area!

Abridged list of important changes
mages
- reveal, aka Wis Quas is now known as An Quas
- you will need to trim your piety to 0 if you don't want to be fumbling spells all the time
- you can convert to a priest by heading to the huge church in the monastery (blink east from the arena if you don't know where that is) and talking to one of the npcs there
- VF now does +1 dmg per 20 int, up fom 1 per 30, moved to circle 6
- XC gives back 1/4 dmg done as hp ! works vs undead
- IVPY moved to circle 5
- IFH is now a cirlce 8 tome drop, does VF damage (warning: fire drags will now do the same damage)
- XMP works v undead
- VF tome is now a drop
- mage cert is no longer required to do Virgil's XC tome quest
- you can unlearn all your piety spells (to clean up your lists) again by heading to the monastery
- all spell tome vendors changed to trainers and their lists of spells revised

fighters
- added a 30 rage taunt ability that induces a lot of threat - in fact anyone can use this - buy it at the uni
- thunderclap: all surrounding targets of the thunderclapped creature take flurry like hits as well as get confused - but the damage inflicted is only 1/2 normal

priests changes from alpha

- vamt affects 3x3 area
- low spells are available around the continent, mid spells you can buy at the monastery while high ones are either drops or quests (at monastery)
- s and vs are flat buffs, they don't decay over time - last for 10 mins
- when detecting traps (priest ability) cursed items in inv are shown red
- priest with detect traps/curses active will auto id curses when item is picked up

client changes
* showing weight for unid items in inventory
* showing spell long name for tomes in inventory / trade
* removed load display for training items
* more spell / inventory colouring
* added max hp etc to the bars in your stats pane
* player marked on minimap as a red +
* party members marked on minimap too
* fixed a bug when av/cls/race choice was not being remembered if the new char name taken, and next char could use an invalid combination
* re-arranged create character page and added short class & race descriptions

merchants
* all provisioners have a standard inventory now
* all spell tome merchants replaced with trainers (ie you can no longer buy tomes)
* tidied up alchemists and some others

other
* finished LOTL player option for PD
* trapped chest will never kill you if you are at full health (max dmg is 85% down from 105%!)
* finished multiple entrances to townes
* fixed a bug with npc replys wrapping really badly
* if you don't have a pet then the raise pet scroll won't drop (from kills only)
* fixed some conversation colouring with max on newbie island
* new chars learn spells from Max instead of receiving tomes

finally: stat respecs - I'm thinking about them
Zzapp
Here for the lesbians.

Re: moa 0.95b priest thread

Post by Zzapp »

[quote="eggmceye"]

Don't forget: XM and XVM are ranged now ! So the priest can just sit back and heal away and absorb the party xp while drinking a cocktail.
[quote="eggmceye"]

This is probbly going to a concept of the preist making it where no one wants to hunt with them. I'm just saying. Its just my opinion :rebel:
Onyxt

Post by Onyxt »

Zzapp wrote:
eggmceye wrote:
Don't forget: XM and XVM are ranged now ! So the priest can just sit back and heal away and absorb the party xp while drinking a cocktail.
eggmceye wrote:
This is probbly going to a concept of the preist making it where no one wants to hunt with them. I'm just saying. Its just my opinion :rebel:
Well if people are that greedy then they shouldnt ever play a MMO, cause every MMO has a class like that.
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Don't trim your sorcery or mage skills if you are planning to convert (like I did). Just go straight to the Monastery in the Domain and talk to the archbishop. Now I have to train divinity from zero...

:roll:
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

how to multiclass a priest / mage <- it's pink because mage/priests are queer

assuming you want 100% in sorcery, and want VM at 99%:
* must be human
* you need 80% in piety to get VM at 99% success
* which means you need to spend ceil((180-125)/2) = 28 levels at the shine of versatility to bump your class cap from 125% to 181%
* with 80% piety you get a lot of benefits, and of course you can get 80% divinity as well

alternatively, you could make a VOG/VM mage
* must be human
* 80% piety (for 99% vm)
* 90% sorcery (for 99% vog)
* which means you need to spend ceil((170-125)/2) = 23 levels at the shrine of versatility to get your class cap at 171%
Bugbo

Post by Bugbo »

eggmceye wrote:
- mage cert is no longer required to do Virgil's XC tome quest

So how do you get the XC quest? I tried asking about balrons, but Virgil says "I can't help you with that"
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I think I forgot to upload the quest file - that's what
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

Well I seem to have found a bug. I /trimskilled my sorcery and magery before realizing I can just get it converted in the monastery. So I train divinity up to 67% or so and go to the monastery to get the divinity spells. I go up to the bishop dude and do his thing just to see what'll happen. I relog like he says and all my magery/sorc spells are gone (like he said) except for IVPY (??). Also, all the divinity and blessed maces I had already trained was back down to 0% but my piety stayed the same.

Kinda strange.. atleast its on PD and I can retrain back up to 70% in like 10 minutes.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

The ivpy thing was a script typo ...

With divinity going to 0, he says he will convert your points in sorc to divinity, so if sorc was 0, that is what he did - convert your divinity to 0.

I'll set it so that it doesn't make it worse however.
nanasi
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Post by nanasi »

divine hammer - In Ort Yelm - 7th circle
Will probably need a nerf. Enchants and soulbinds any equipped blessed +0 mace to the highest max + (up to 6), works on any material
How do I drop useless soulbind weapons? :?
It's a big problem in LOTL.
I'm not good at english sorry.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

in the bin!
ion
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by ion »

I dunno if its supposed to or not but it would be cool if you could use an uncurse all scroll when you cast the traps spell, uncursing stuff helps keep the bank clean and a little less full. :D
Can someone buy me a res stone?
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

that is what the blessed uncurse all scroll is for
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

WOW! Get sick for a week, fly to Kansas for the weekend and changes happen like crazy. I'm so far behind on all this now. So is alpha finally done with or is there still testing there?
ZUPS!!!!
ion
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by ion »

Are blessed maces also tuned to 90:10 str to dex? And staves are 50/50 correct? :knife:
Can someone buy me a res stone?
Onyxt

Post by Onyxt »

ion wrote:Are blessed maces also tuned to 90:10 str to dex? And staves are 50/50 correct? :knife:
Yeah
nanasi
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Post by nanasi »

Does priests gain def by wearing medium or heavy armour? :?
I'm not good at english sorry.
Catherine
English correct bastard.

Post by Catherine »

Feedback from testing PD / LotL Priest:

Damage output / damage mitigation levels 20-30 is a bit slow / off balance:

Blessed maces precludes all fighter bonuses - meaning that although you're pumping str for heavy armours & more damage mace wise, you're not getting amazing def from it. Your AS is at about 17 or so. You're still hitting 8-12 [barring crits] - although you're able to survive a lot. However, this is only due to spells: your armour isn't cutting damage down much, as Priests don't benefit from it, nor do they get tactics / block etc.

Then you hit summons.

Summons wipe the floor - but you're not getting XP. :/ Summon insects is a great tool, however, a level 28ish sword golem cannot take on vampires etc. It fares a lot better at non-healing mobs.

At the moment, priests feel more weighted to a summoner class, than a classic D&D priest class - you get chewed up damage wise, and you don't get much mitigation. If we slow down magic gain to reg rules, then there's going to be a looooooooooooooong period where priests just can't compete DPS / spell wise.

More later, I need to raise a priest again. PD one got toasted by the UL on the way to get the Monastery quests :( 20 seconds on a sword golem can lead it to disappearing at inconvenient times ;)
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I dunno cat, I think yr wrong on a couple of things. Amour: priests gets full AC benefit of heavy armour, but you need 100% priest to get it (if you are 30% priest or fighter you only get 30% of the AC). I even tested this just now just to confirm.

DPS: morning star & warhammer are some of the highest dps weapons now, at least for fighter weapons.

Summons: I couldn't resist putting in a plague or a sword golem but I take yr point about priests being a bit summonery ... however it is your choice tho if you want to spam the summons and wipe the floor (and get 10% xp in the process) or save the heavenly sword for when you are in a pickle.

Ask your selves these questions because I am mostly concerned with how interesting the character is:
How does priest compare to a fighter? You basically trade shields+tact+weaponchoice for healing+support magic (and flame strike, a concentrated IVPY)
How does priest compare to mage? Instead of spamming vog you club things to death.
The Oracle
on lolpatrol

Post by The Oracle »

Don't worry about it. It's a great class. Mixes support spellcasting with a STR build. I think some people are just putting to much trust in their INT right now, because they still think they're mages.