Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

Balrog, the EUO collectible card game

Post by eggmceye »

LIVE / LIVE / LIVE on Reg / PD / NG!

Balrog, the EUO collectible card game
updated Nov 10, 2020

Click here to see the current list of playable cards in Balrog/EUO !
http://euotopia.com/PatchMe/cards.php

Intro
This is a collectible trading card game (CCG/TCG) minigame that you play inside EUO! You’ll be able to get cards by buying them, trading them, crafting them, looting them, etc, etc. Cards have 2 different rarities (common & rare). I won’t be selling cards for $ nor selling boosters for $, tho maybe you could buy boosters for gp or xtal coins, etc. This is strictly a non-profit exercise because I just fucking love cards!

The rules are loosely based on hearthstone and the feel is meant to be as if MTG made an EUO expansion set. However, as usual, I’ll be writing all the rules and designing however I feel like. Card lovers on discord already know about this project.

If you want to submit card designs, knock yourself out: requirements for cards are
*You need to be a card enthusiast, and know about either hearthstone, mtg or similar!
*Card design should be complete with artwork
*Artwork must be copyright free, public domain, or have permission from author, or paid for, etc. (all artwork used now (more or less) fits this criteria)
*Card mechanics should be simple/interpretable
*Card should have EUO flavour, but there can be exceptions

This is what the cards (more or less) look like as of release (there have been a lot more cards added since):
cardsa.png
carddetail.png
carddetail2a.png
How to play
* if you ever have missing cards images - only set A has images. Set B onwards does not, there may be exceptions
* Just use the normal client, vers 1.3.33+ (no longer need to play on Alpha)
* Games are played in betting ring(s) which are maps inside Nordhaven, accessible via the south west corner (the little shrine tiles).

How to start a game (part 1)
* Find an opponent
* Go to the betting ring entrances in Nordhaven (SW corner)
* Be in same party as opponent
* Enter the north betting ring, which is an instance version (this is why you need to be in same party as opponent!) – this way multiple games can occur simultaneously, in different instances
* If problems with instance use the south betting ring, which is non-instanced
cards2.png
Getting cards
Inside the betting ring talk to the Umpire and say give. He will give you a starter deck. It's really bad.
You can also buy cards at the card merchants. Commons are 1000gp and Rares are 3xtal coins. Cards also drop and can be found in chests, etc.

How to start a game (part 2)
* you need a deck of cards. All of the cards in your inventory comprise your deck. Put any cards you don’t want in your deck into the bank. Deck rules below.
* decide who is going first (/roll?)
* player going first stands on red mat, other player stands on blue mat
* red player talks to Umpire and says reset. (Reset can be performed at any time)

Interface
Once the game has started, note carefully these following interface actions:
1) Your deck is all cards in your inv, and your hand is shown at the bottom of the screen when you are in the betting ring
2) Blessed cards are the cards in your hand (so when you draw a card from your deck that card becomes blessed – this is done thru the Library NPCs, but could change)
3) You play a card (when it is your turn) by RIGHT clicking it (as it is shown on the bottom of the screen)
4) Most on-field actions are done with RIGHT CLICK!
5) to attack, right click your guy and right click a target
6) Active creature or artifact is indicated with a > in front of its name/status
7) to use an artifact, right click it and then right click something else (see directions on screen)
8) To end your turn pull the lever. new for 2020: you can now ignite a torch instead of pulling the lever to end your turn!
9) To reset the game talk to Umpire and say reset
10) you can look at creatures/artifacts on the battle field and see the card detail - ie walk up to it and use the l key !
11) you can also type the card name with square brackets around it to see it - eg say [Fast Rat]

Rules
* it is turn based, and is played inside EUO, in the betting ring.
* each player has a deck of cards, which simply means having cards in their inventory
* each player starts with a random hand of 3 cards, no max hand size
* to play a card, it must be your turn, and you must have enough mana to play it
* You start with 1 mana on turn 1, 2 mana on turn 2, and then +1 mana on every other turn (ie your mana pool goes up by 1 on turns 2,4,6,8 etc)
* each player has a heart(h)stone – with 20hp. The goal is to kill the opponent’s hearthstone
* at the beginning of each players turn, they draw a card and have their mana replenished
* to play a card requires paying some mana, and different cards have different mana costs
* if you play a creature card then that creature is summoned on your side of the battlefield
* if you play a sorcery card, then whatever is written on that card is actioned - eg, do 2 dmg to creature
* artifact cards are like items: they stay on the battlefield and can be used and sometimes reused
* artifact cards on the battlefield can generally only be used once per turn
* traps are just sorceries that don't take effect until a specified event occurs. Only the caster of the trap knows what the trap is until it activates
* a player can instruct their creatures to attack the other player's creatures or the other player directly - each creature can only attack once per turn
* each creature has a damage value and hp (represented by as/hp numbers bottom right of card)
* creatures & artifacts that have a <Z> next to their name have had their turn
* after a player has attacked with all their creatures and used all their mana playing cards, their turn is over. End your turn by pulling the lever.
* game ends when hearthstone has 0 hp!

Combat:
Each creature has a damage value and hp value. Eg a cow might do 1 dmg and have 1 hp, as indicated by 1/1 on the card, while an orc might do 2 dmg and have 2 hp. In a fight between cow and orc, orc does 2 dmg to cow killing it. Cow does 1 dmg to orc reducing its hp to 1 permanently (unless healed somehow!)

Creature features/abilities:
Haste: When a creature is summoned it usually can’t do anything (eg attack) the turn it was summoned as indicated by <Z>. A creature with haste does not have this drawback and can be used immediately
First strike: During combat creatures do damage to each other. An attacking creature with first strike does its damage first and if the other creature dies, that other creature does not get a chance to do its damage, and the attacking creature comes away unscathed. First strike is only used by an attacking creature; a defender with first strike does not utilise it.
Vampiric: Any damage dealt by this creature will be applied as HP to your hearthstone. Hearthstone can go over its starting HP!
Flying: Normally a creature must attack other creatures before attacking the hearthstone. A flying creature can attack the hearthstone if none of the opponent creatures have flying!
Taunt: A creature with taunt must be attacked before other creatures without taunt.
Trample: An attacker with trample that kills its opponent applies the excess damage to the hearthstone. Eg a creature with dmg 6 attacks a creature with hp 1. assuming the target died, 5 damage will apply to the hearthstone.
Vigilance: A creature with vigilance becomes awake at the start of every turn.
Stealth: A creature with stealth is not obliged to attack non sleeping opponent's creatures (except those with taunt, it still must attack taunters) and thus may attack hearth directly.
Backstab: A creature with backstab does 2x dmg when attacking a sleeping creature.
Regeneration: A creature with regeneration regains 1hp at the beginning of each player's turn.
Dodge: Combat attacks on this creature always have their damage reduced to zero.
Dual Wield: Attacking creature with dual wield can attack twice.
Wallop: Attacking creature with wallop does 1 damage to every creature immediately surrounding the target.
Custom abilities: some cards have custom abilities, such as ‘ETB (when enters the battlefield)’ or 'when dies'.

Deck building/requirements
There are 2 deck constraints:
i) Must have exactly 30 cards in your deck (ie your inventory)
ii) Must have no more than 3 copies of each card
A good place to store unwanted cards is in the bank, of course.

How the deck / hand / library works
As stated, the mechanics of the deck/hand/library work as such
* Your deck is the cards in your inv when you start/reset the game
* Copies of all these cards are placed randomly into the library NPC
* When you draw a card comes from the top of your library npc’s inventory, is blessed, and replaces the nonblessed version in your inv
* Theoretically, you cannot lose cards if server crashes, etc, because you never not have the cards in your inv. This also opens up possibility of duping cards
* You can’t drop cards in betting ring, thus can’t dupe
* You can’t leave the ring: if you do, you are disq and the game ends.

Design caveats/notes
* I reserve the right to errata cards at any time (I would prefer not to ever make strictly betters NOR ban so happy to errata when required)
* Art is more or less final
* This is 90% server side scripted in LUA: source is in post below so people can dissect it, figure out how to break it, help add stuff, etc
* If anyone wants to contrib complete card designs or artwork see top of post
* I wouldn’t mind having Instant style cards you can play on your opponent’s turn!
* I am considering lanes/board position as an alternative game style, but low priority. no reason why can't have multiple formats!
* I am considering different mana colours, like MTG, but def hard work
* I am also considering deck building theme constraints, like Hearthstone uses classes, but again, more work and not req atm

Deck Management
August 1, 2020:
Added some deck management commands. All these commands do is move cards you own in and out of your bank into your inventory to make it easy for you to keep separate decks.

/savedeck DECKNAME
/loaddeck DECKNAME
/deldeck DECKNAME
/listdecks

/savedeck <insert your deckname> will simply save your current unbanked inventory of cards to a decklist
/loaddeck will a) move all cards from your inventory into your bank b) move the cards saved in the list from the bank to your inventory
/deldeck simply deletes the list - does NOT delete cards
/listdecks shows you what lists you have saved

Playing with Armoury decks
If you like a deck on the armoury you can grab its numeric ID then load the deck in game (as long as you have the cards)
/armourydeck ID

The deck ID can be found here:
deckid.png
/armourydeck 59102
will then load this wonderful list into your inventory
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by eggmceye on Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Reason: added wallop & dual wield
eggmceye
hello

Re: EUO the card game

Post by eggmceye »

source code
July 2020

There are 3 source code files:

https://euotopia.com/files/cards.lua
cards.lua is the main one: it has the key top level funcs in it that set up & run the game

https://euotopia.com/files/cards_abilities.lua
cards_abilities.lua has a func for each card that needs it's own logic (which is most cards)

https://euotopia.com/files/cards_funcs.lua
cards_funcs.lua has a bunch of useful funcs in it called by the other two scripts

You can't just run these: you need the standalone moa server, so right now this is just for your amusement.

Unsure at the mo of what license this is: so right now it's full copyright me blah blah. It will probably end up being MIT because I can't imagine anyone actually using it to make something commercial (from this code), since also it's heavily inspired by mtg & hearthstone anyway, and that I'm not that prissy about my actual code anymore, such that if a derivative did get made I'd probably just want acknowledgment (or a cut) - hence gpl is too hardcore (as it requires derivatives to be open source). Be cool to make a unity standalone version maybe, but that wouldn't be in lua.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

art post

gobbo by Max B
gobbolarge.jpg
stone golem by Mariana Ruiz Villarreal https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:LadyofHats
stonegolem.jpg
Hypnotic Phanom by Max B
phantom.png
Mongo by Max B
monbat2.jpg
VOG by Max B
chainlightning.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

Looks awesome! I love MtG and I used to play a lot of it. I can clearly see inspiration in rules X-D I also like how creature cards have reflection in actual monsters in game. Will definitely look at it this evening.
It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.

Heniek, Macros, Reptile [reg]
Undertow, Macros, Khelavaster, Reptile, Burn [PD]
Comet
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Comet »

Darkwizard and I were playing a round and all of a sudden the game crashed. The game actually crashed twice with the same error, since after crashing it immediately became my turn again, which caused another crash. Afterwards we could go back and forth with turns, but every time it got to my turn it would crash right after I received a card. Also, my mana pylon disappeared, and when I tried to play something it said "Not your turn". I'm too tired to think about this more but here's a screenshot.

EDIT: Great game though! Darkwizard and I had lots of fun destroying each other in our earlier battles. I absolutely didn't mean to make the second post in this thread a bug post, and not within four hours of it going live :knife:
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

yeh, did it coincide with a mana disappearing? any idea what caused the mana to disappear (which is what caused the crash)

(note that I turned on server script crashes to be visible so everyone could see & paste them)
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Oh WOW! Damn nice looking. I hope that he card audience checks this out and fills up the servers a bit more when it’s full stream. mini-games rock imho.
Nis
Hey I just posted on an internet forum!

Post by Nis »

Egg Check the half orc warrior card to make sure it's working properly. Not sure but there is no description for it in the card. Not sure if that would cause the problem. That could cause and index error. But I am surely no expert. Just trying to give rough ideas.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I have made updates:

* fixed (hopefully) the mana xtal disappearing, causing the script error on line 696
* can't cast or use items other than cards in the betting ring
* added a card banker just outside arena
* enforcing deck constraints: 30 cards, 2 copies max of each card in deck
* improved spawn positioning
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

* added card merchant that sells everything for 10gp
* card banker is 24 hrs
* added 4 new cards: "Bloody Plains", "Vault Dweller" and "Drumheller, Librarian" and "Shatter"
* both players start with 1 mana, and mana gained on even turns only
cards4.png
to get the new art, get this and unzip the png files into pics/cards folder
http://euotopia.com/files/cardspicsupdate.zip

I'll write an art patcher soon
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I’m curious if when you get all the bugs ironed out and all the cards done (possible never ending endeavor) that we might print them out. I know there are card services available. I wouldn’t mind having a Euotopia card game set. Of course any set is worth it’s gold autographed which makes me wonder if anyone printed out your book via whichever service and sent to have it autographed.

Eh, I’m being overly sentimental and I can’t even recall if t-shirts and caps are still around.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I was thinking about printing them out on paper and gluing them to mtg cards for play testing ...
but I suppose I could organise a printed set ... but that would be a long way into the future
Tink
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Tink »

Save me an autographed set :oops:
MoonGoat
Good morning, Captain.

Post by MoonGoat »

eggmceye wrote:I was thinking about printing them out on paper and gluing them to mtg cards for play testing ...
but I suppose I could organise a printed set ... but that would be a long way into the future
Just put the paper in front of the card in a sleeve like regular proxies :D
No need for glue.
"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
―Cave Johnson
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Just one of many:
https://www.thegamecrafter.com

Similar to how people get books made or rpg custom reprints. Whether you have irregular shaped cards, tarot sized, playing, etc.

I was honestly thinking of getting the card game from old battle star galactica printed. Now days you can create just about anything. Pity I’m spending my summer money on exercise equipment and yard tools.

Eventually you’ll have a large core deck and maybe people will share what they printed/created. Of course the real play is in game but I know some of my relatives lived by cards from cribbage to uno to poker etc.
ZUPS!!!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Update:
1) get the latest alpha http://euotopia.com/files/euoA.zip
2) then run patch.exe which will get all the art
3) run euoA.exe

* added 12 new cards
* to get card art now, run patch.exe (but still run euoA.exe which shows the cards)
* zoomed card when hover mouse over it
* zoomed card top left corner
* when looking at cards in inv it tells you how many you have (to help you get to exactly 30)
* merch shows card price
* banked blessed cards no longer show in hand
* new mechanic Vigilance
* deck req is now max 3 of each card (so you can have 10 diff cards, 3 of each to make 30 ttl)
* all buffs stack, eg multiple purple pots stack

new cards:
cards5.png
there is a slight caveat with graveyard & newbie dungeon:
when graveyard (etc) is on the board, mobs that ETB don't get the buff until next (any) turn, because the graveyard card only triggers at start of turn and when it ETB, and if the graveyard et al is destroyed, the affected creatures don't lose the buff until start of next turn
Tink
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Tink »

Flame Strike card sounds about right.. 2 damage haha..
:D
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

isn't it interesting that it does dmg in a grid tho, something MTG doesn't have (spatial concerns)
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I haven’t really went in depth in the various card games. Hell, I have one the the anniversary edition books with al MTG cards. I have a few Pokémon cards, had 2 spellfire D&D decks and a few others. Didn’t get into yugioh. (Except watching that 5D cartoon). The one time I did play mtg I was destroyed so fast and wrecked so bad.... not pretty. Maybe UNO is more my speed or go fish.
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

eggmceye wrote:isn't it interesting that it does dmg in a grid tho, something MTG doesn't have (spatial concerns)
Can players choose where on the battlefield to summon now?
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D