In-game Economy

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Sarge
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Re: In-game Economy

Post by Sarge »

I am sad that I couldn't explain myself well enough not to be misunderstood. My post has literally nothing to do with gold beyond it being a universal currency already available for use, which is convenient. Pretty sure I even said a currency is not a necessity.

The only relationship that crafting has to the post is that in its current state it destroys demand which is required for a functional economy. The post has nothing to do with crafting either.

This was and is literally about the fact what there is no economy in the game, why that is and trying to show that everything an economy needs is already there, it just needs to be utilised.

I am glad though that the debate took the direction I had hoped regardless.

Thanks for the hellova detailed response though Egg, particularly taking the time and making the effort to list all the things you did is appreciated.

Just a small P.S.: You would not be forcing LoTL on anyone. Enabling trade between players means it is no longer LoTL. Maybe some day you'd consider setting up a temporary server so we can see how it works.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Sarge wrote: the fact what there is no economy in the game
after all that has been written do you still think there is no economy in the game?
Sarge
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by Sarge »

eggmceye wrote:
Sarge wrote: the fact what there is no economy in the game
after all that has been written do you still think there is no economy in the game?
There is hardly an economy in the game yes. And that is a very firm "yes". That is the case without a shadow of a doubt at my level. Trades happen almost exclusively at end game only and even then it is minimal and sporadic.

The tragedy of it, for me and imo, is the waste of it since the game already has every single component required to have an economy that reaches across all player levels and could add an immense amount of additional richness (like the pun huh?) to the game. It feels like I'm looking at a TA-DAAA!-switch in the off position.

I understand completely that it might come across that I am just bitching and if it does then let me say it out loud why I am being such a pita: This game has immense potential and it grinds me that there are so many low hanging fruits overlooked or just (seemingly) not cared about.

I can also tell you that trying to speak up about things I am seeing with fresh eyes to a group of people firmly entrenched in routine and fixed in their old ways is not easy and often flat-out deterring and I risk becoming unpopular by persisting.

You have a great game here man and I am passionate about game development. What can I say... sorry if I piss people of sometimes, but I mean well.
Rumper
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Rumper »

Why this game has 'no economy' at lower levels.
Cause high-end players have lots and lots of hoarded garbage and when someone asks if they can trade for an addled hoe + 3, I'm pretty sure everyone gives it for free.
As for crafting, while it's true that certain items are in unlimited supply, but there's something important you're forgetting.
I wonder how many potions you use and I wonder how much glass, ginseng and spider's silk you'd find.
For blank scrolls, maybe you can remove it from the item shop, but then again town portal scrolls are important too. So if you even keep 1 craftable scroll of any kind in unlimited supply, you can just decon everything to get blanks. Same result, more afking.
So either remove everything or regulate the supply for ingredients on an accountbased basis -> more people with more alts..., so soulbound accountbased limited supply would be a possible solution for your economy and crafting problem.
One minor thing would be, you can't distribute on daily, weekly or monthly basis because of how long everyone plays. For some it would be like too much, for others it would be like a speck. So the more active the player the more supplies you can get.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I might come across as an utter asshole but ask just about any Pd player where I go through heroic/epic/apoc runs and let anyone tag along at any level. Sometimes the runs I gather stuff and sometimes I let others gather the crap (really depends on what drops-not to mention I often outfit tag-alongside). I will take your perspective is from the regular server. I used to be all about trade and economics on reg, then I realized how broken it was. Services used to be worth more than goods but now ou can simply afk in your house with out fear of server boot or starving. Items have a price on player merchants set up by player usually. The player gets to assess the value. There is an auto value but just about everyone sets their own up. The only huge problem is # of players in the constant base. Flood the game with 30, 60, 100s, 1,000s and it might be different.

Gold is to set up shop, house, horse, and base crafting. Best start, logging, mining, tinkering, weapons nothing, dipping, selling then other crafts.... or just become a rogue and loot or kill mobs and collect. Old players are your aristocracy and they collect and grind out their remaining levels. Economy isn’t on their mind unless they want a trillion or more gold coins.
ZUPS!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Economy

Love that pic. I had odd shit appear on my youtube cache..... oh too many years too late.

I decided to subscribe:
Extra Credits
ZUPS!!!!
newmagna
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by newmagna »

One of the greatest issues with mmo economies is that the currency is never scarce.
in the case of euo, none of the resources are really scarce, some are just more rare to find then others
gold is obviously the most common, as the game shits it out like theres no tommorrow, and you get it from killing certain monsters(named ones i think) and buy selling any of thousands of things every mob drop. if there was real scarcity in any of the resources then an economy would form naturally.
what if the amount of iron/copper/silver/gold in items and coins was limited, and fluctuated how much was in the players hands and how much was with mobs? thats a system that would be hard to implement in euo as of now but it demonstrates the core of the idea.