RFC - Golems / Other race

Moderator: EUO Moderators

EmoMage
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

RFC - Golems / Other race

Post by EmoMage »

So.. I've been thinking about the Golem race, as I agree it's way to OP. What if the Golem got re-vamped/re-named?
eggmceye wrote:player GOLEM race
* 5x mr
* 2x def
* 0 mana all the time
* cannot eat or drink pots, but beer is ok (think bender from futurama), however they don't get the benefits from beer as dwarves do
* immune to choking, poison, drowning, bleeding

more races to come on alpha, stay tuned
I got to thinking about Cyclops for the race name, as they're big, strong mother fuckers. Here's some ideas for said race.

Code: Select all

Re-vamp of current race qualities.

* 2x MR  --down from 5. making the player more apt to still need help with gear, rather than running naked everywhere
*2x defense still seems appropriate, as they're some big ass bastards.
*0 mana, at all times.
*can eat and/or drink --since the MR isn't as high, and can still use some help.
*immunity to choking, poison, drowning, bleeding

Additive to the race

**2 handed weapons ONLY.
**can dual wield 2h weapons, with 33% slower attacks when dual wielding. --makes the already strong fucking 2h damage a little slower. 
**can only wear medium (if fighter) and light (if rogue) gear.  --making this race more specific to ONLY being able to use the gear meant for your class, and your class only.
Having all of that could still be over powered, but there aren't many 2 handed people out there. I'd love the idea of dual wielding a Halberd/Great Maul. But with those weapons being so strong already, it'd make sense to have some sort of down-fall to it. As in, the 33% slower attack rates. I know there is that one fighter special that allows 25% faster attacks with 2h weapons, but when you're dual wielding, that could be turned off/not be able to be used.

It gives the game another twist that could be fun for some, but could also be too overpowered, so we'd obviously need to test it. I can make some new avatars to go with the race but for now, if you like the changes/idea, we could do the testing with the same golem avatars.
250px-Cyclops.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eggmceye wrote:
ParadoxOfChoice wrote: Zombie using bow/sling probably shouldn't give disease.

the zombies are pulling the arrows out of their ass
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: RFC - Golems / Other race

Post by Keighn »

First I'm going to pull up some simple parts of the monster database that I may find relevant:

cyclops
HP:35
AS:16
AC:18
dmg: 3d5
sight:4
speed: 600
INT:60
MR:30
res fire:0
res cold:0
res elect:0
avg dmg:7.5

ettin
HP: 60
AS: 18
AC: 19
dmg: 4d4
sight: 4
INT: 60
MR: 30
res fire: 0
res elec: 0
res cold: 0
avg dmg: 8

ogre
HP: 40
AS: 15
AC: 21
dmg: 3d6
INT: 80
MR: 40
avg dmg: 9

u1_giant
AS: 15
AC: 21
dmg: 3d6
INT: 80
MR: 40
res cold: 80

hill_giant
AS: 7
AC: 18
dmg: 4d4
sight: 5
INT: 60
MR: 30

minotaur
HP: 100
AS: 20
AC: 18
dmg: 4d5
INT: 140
MR: 70
avg dmg: 10

Generally, these mobs aren't very magic resistant. Hell, they aren't even element resistant. So, I'd nix the Magic Resistance period.

Average damage range is 8.5 to 10 (minotaurs or the Tauren are the toughest but pretty over used in game.. aka Blizzard). They are giant humanoids. With the exception of the u1 giant and minotaur most of these threw boulders. (Cyclops don't I believe but I do think the old Giant that was removed did). Ultima 4 had cyclops throwing boulders. What we've talked about in-game was a huge being that can wield 2-handed weapons in each hand. Sounds OK, but they are slow beings so there needs to be a speed penalty. I'd almost consider a damage bonus but for weapons only. 1-handed weapons being unusable would be fine but probably a pain to program. Doesn't really matter in the end if they can use them IMHO but the still get a speed PENALTY. I wouldn't allow them to use bows in each hand nor muskets (though, I did see Green arrow use a bow with one hand in the Dark Knight returns). Options to ranged would be boulder throwing. Its classic and awesome.

Giants aren't known for their intelligence. They aren't golems and are pretty stupid but I wouldn't nix magic using classes. Maybe anywhere from -10 to -25% to -50% intelligence. It'd have to be tested. Personally, in Diablo I HD mod there is the Barbarian class that has 0 magic and you can't raise it except via magical items. Well, of course I mage one a type of Mage that I called Shaman and he can cast spells but quite badly. So, I disagree with the 0 mana all the time.

I agree, they are alive and should eat, drink and use potions.

Yeah, a defense bonus would be OK. I'm not sure what the bonus should be. Maybe 5% bonus. x2 is just too much.

I disagree about the immunity to choking, poison, drowning, and bleeding. Regular humanoids are vulnerable to all of those (excep the drowning since mobs are mobs and it isn't programmed for them to drown but they would drown if they could.

The armor is an interesting concept. Medium armour maximum. I've played many RPGs where they can wear plate but its custom made and far more expensive. I could go either way in the armor route. I mean, we have gnomes and they wear the very same full plate as the other races and that technically shouldn't be. So this doesn't matter imho.

So in summary we have a very slow, very stupid but strong dual wielding monster utilizng 2 handed weapons in a single hand.

Some might nix the dual wield and just allow the use of a 2handed weapon in a single hand and use of a shield.

Anything we missed? HP bonus? They are big and massively bulky... perhaps % to knockback?
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

Keighn wrote:Generally, these mobs aren't very magic resistant. Hell, they aren't even element resistant. So, I'd nix the Magic Resistance period.
Yeah 2x MR would probably be OP for a mage giant.
Keighn wrote:.
Giants aren't known for their intelligence. They aren't golems and are pretty stupid but I wouldn't nix magic using classes. Maybe anywhere from -10 to -25% to -50% intelligence. It'd have to be tested. Personally, in Diablo I HD mod there is the Barbarian class that has 0 magic and you can't raise it except via magical items. Well, of course I mage one a type of Mage that I called Shaman and he can cast spells but quite badly. So, I disagree with the 0 mana all the time.
Actually in River's End there's a ogre/giant area where it alludes to magic as a 'lost art' among them. So justify it that way. ;)
Djanno :smoke:
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Yeah, I read that and was considering it but there are versions in the game that I think can use magic. Generally, its a rarity... say 1 in a 1,000 IMHO.

By the way....

EmoMage
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by EmoMage »

We can change the name, or keep the Golem name. I wasn't literally talking about a cyclops per say. Was just a name...but keep going. does eggleton have a input?
eggmceye wrote:
ParadoxOfChoice wrote: Zombie using bow/sling probably shouldn't give disease.

the zombies are pulling the arrows out of their ass
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Lord Eggleton is away from EUO right now. Please leave a message after the Beep!

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppp!!!!!!!
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I get this a lot from other forums about like topics. I also get that raising dead topics is dumb. (depends on the forums I guess as I personally like raising the dead as those topics are pretty good). Point is, there was already a RFC race topic.

RFC - Races

Don't sweat it though. They can always be merged I suppose.
newmagna
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by newmagna »

maybe half-giant?
i think 2x def and mr are good enough.
-25% dex and +25% str too, i guess. dont know abput the whole no mana thing, maybe give it like half mana, so you can still make a priest or monk, or druid if the melee options are viable.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

forgetting what it is called, the problem seems to be the 5x mr
and I wonder if even 2x mr is still too powerful?
Rumper
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Rumper »

A level 500 character as a golem easily reaches 3K MR if it had 2x MR with few points invested in INT, which is enough to do heroic dragons without a care in the world, (beware of hybrids and 2X2 though). However the downside of not being capable of using any mana is HUGE. Pots, won't work and only thing you can use to heal is using golem repir kits, do these have a cooldown?
With a belt of regen and golem repair kits, you can do alot of damage. Your only worry is facing too many spellcasters at the same time! Since poisoned, bleeding, etc all won't work on you.
However when keeping x5 MR you'd get more MR out of a 36 int gear than a 5 MR gear.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Forgot about vampy weapons. I never really experimented with a 1k+ golem fighter or rogue or monk. Considering no mana mage/monk/priest/necro is pretty much out.
Rumper

Post by Rumper »

How about making it's mana limited by it's rage?
newmagna
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by newmagna »

so 1.5 mr from int, but make it so it gets only 50% mana. and then like +30% or +40% def
Rumper

Post by Rumper »

Let's add a twist. By pulling out chunks of your golem flesh/material/idkwhatitscalled you can transmute it into a manalike substance which you use to cast spells.
Therefore casting spells costs twice the amount of mana but instead of taking it from your mana pool it takes it from your health pool.
Also it takes them longer to cast the spell.
This way other caster classes can still be viable to play.

Also the 5x MR is too high.

Even x3 MR is too high.

x2 MR seems the best.