Meta-mapping & Map Ideas

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Meta-mapping & Map Ideas

Post by Keighn »

To be honest I can't find a definition for this. I was fairly certain I knew, at least in euo, but now I don't have a clue. I ask as I'm mapping a game I'm playing that gave me ideas. It's a horrible game to map easily (sword of kadash) as it often just seems to eschew reality and areas appear to collide on paper but don't in game. I'd almost attribute it that each end direction utilizes a teleport rather than just room mechanics.

Here's what I found via wiki, but perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Meta-data
Meta-Process Modeling

It applies to perhaps mappers in euo making more tricky maps especially since we have zones.

The meta models makes me wonder if euo will have depth on the same level map that might replicate results like terraria or mine-craft. I don't know may elevation in maps is pretty complex.

met·a
ˈmedə/
noun
short for meta key.
adjectiveUS
(of a creative work) referring to itself or to the conventions of its genre; self-referential.

meta- Translate Button
a prefix appearing in loanwords from Greek, with the meanings “after,” “along with,” “beyond,” “among,” “behind,” and productive in English on the Greek model:
metacarpus; metagenesis.
a prefix added to the name of a subject and designating another subject that analyzes the original one but at a more abstract, higher level:
metaphilosophy; metalinguistics.

map·ping
ˈmapiNG/
nounMATHEMATICSLINGUISTICS
an operation that associates each element of a given set (the domain) with one or more elements of a second set (the range).

mapping

map·ping
Use mapping in a sentence

noun
The definition of mapping is making a map, or a matching process where the points of one set are matched against the points of another set.
An example of mapping is creating a map to get to your house.
An example of mapping is identifying which cell on one spreadsheet contains the same information as the cell on another speadsheet.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: Meta-mapping & Map Ideas

Post by Keighn »

Sadly I was watching PBS in the morning and saw a quilting show. Then I saw a pattern that looked like the Q-Bert game. This made me think of lord morts pacman and maps. So, how about a q-Bert map where either a step or switch changes the colors. Maybe if you get all the steps one color it opens up another map. For simplicity sake this would be nothing more than a modified Rusty's challenge except the mobs respawn faster. Need to figure out how the disks work, maybe have cannons in a few spots you can shoot mobs, and later mobs that change your tiles back. Obviously when all tiles are yellow a portal opens up to the next level.
ZUPS!!!!
Bugbo
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bugbo »

Keighn wrote:Sadly I was watching PBS in the morning and saw a quilting show. Then I saw a pattern that looked like the Q-Bert game. This made me think of lord morts pacman and maps. So, how about a q-Bert map where either a step or switch changes the colors. Maybe if you get all the steps one color it opens up another map. For simplicity sake this would be nothing more than a modified Rusty's challenge except the mobs respawn faster. Need to figure out how the disks work, maybe have cannons in a few spots you can shoot mobs, and later mobs that change your tiles back. Obviously when all tiles are yellow a portal opens up to the next level.
There was a Q-Bert pyramid in the dream realm of "Ultima Underworld 2", (also an Akalabeth inspired maze).
Rumper
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Rumper »

I think I am not following but do you mean something like zone warping?

You are the +
X is a walkable tile
* Are tiles you can walk on but cannot see through
*X*X*X*
X*X*X*X
*X*+*X*
X*X*X*X
*X*X*X*
When you move one spot to the right you end up warped in the zone.
*X*X*X*
X*X*X*X
*X*X*X*
X+X*X*X
*X*X*X*
instead of
*X*X*X*
X*X*X*X
*X*X+X*
X*X*X*X
*X*X*X*
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Dunno about my q-bert craze.

Thought of a different idea but sadly its redoing the old ultimas with ultima 5 or euo type game play. Preferably ultima 5 combat as I love tactical battles. But imagine the old ultimas with day and night cycles, movable stuff, and more extensive combat options.
Luxorious
on lolpatrol

Post by Luxorious »

When it comes to gaming, metagame means endgame - stuff you do when you're done with the quest line / story. Euotopia could use "mapping" like in Path of Exile - you craft maps to visit new zones. They are instanced and every map made is unique and they have special properties. I don't know if it would be too time consuming or a nightmare to program, but I think it would fit euotopia.
Cartography or a new skill could be extended to make maps and clear them. For an example, you could craft a map of Nordhaven Dungeon, which would have randomized/special properties and would be beefed up version of the regular and be instanced.
No, I don't wear a watch. As my Dad used to say, "I'm not into time, man."
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Ah. Well I'm never too sure of terminology even when I attempt to look it up.

I'm working on a guide for an old game (sword of kadash) and it should be easy to map in theory (but that wasn't the case) I've mapped it now and am going through each room recording mobs, and traps. I'll post it on Dropbox when done. I'm doing the c64 version ATM but hope to try the appleII, and Atari ST versions. I get side tracked by Beelzebub diablo mod though.

Who knows, maybe ill get more into writing game guides. I need something to get my writing skills up to par.