hello

Re: Carnival Carnage - Map DevLog

Post by eggmceye »

can't wait to see a love tunnel in euo
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

haha yeah - designing the love-tunnel will be fun, which by the way will be underground as well so one more thing I have not tackled yet. Also I have not thought about spawners yet.
Anyway, I added a pillory to the groundlevel map, so you can throw spoiled veggies at someone hold in stocks (in theory atm), as well as a head soccer mini game, a shooting range and a ski slalom. Well, would be nice if I could make those into a mini games but honestly I have no idea how to do that, however a gimmicky animation should be possible for some of the attractions.
Here is a preview of the afore mentioned attractions:
CC.png
I only put half of the ski slalom on the screen shot and I think it needs to look moodier than it does atm to fit the overall theme. I totally love the head soccer sign XD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Worked a bit on the first mini game:
You can 'a'ctivate the veggies infront of you to throw them at the poor dude. If you hit him several times he dies. Other than it being a gimmicky mini game there is no skill required and no pay-off I can think of. There will be at least 2 more shooting/throwing type of mini games using the same variant of the script. If you guys have any ideas to make this less pointless let me know.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

I thought a bit about the minigames and at least the pillory (posted above) could be made in a competitive game of chance. Every time you "throw" a veggie you pay a certain amount of gold coins into a pot. The player who gets the kill throw gets the pot minus x% for the bank (mind the kill has to be made by throwing a veggie).

Archery and shooting gallery could also be made into game of chance. In this case you would have to kill the dude in a certain time. Again you pay for every single shot and when you win you get double the pot back otherwise you loose all.

Well those are my ideas - I am always glad to hear from you guys, which keeps me motivated =P

With some luck this map will be finished for the awesome apoc expansion within some months and not some years as was the case with tols. To be honest it is more fun to work on this map now than it was the case with tols. Main reason is that I have more creative freedom whereas I restricted myself with the tols map 5 years ago.

Edit: I have been using ScreentoGif 1.1 for capturing the animation above. This is a neat little program and can be found on microsofts codeplex webpage for open source software - link
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

The veggie throwing mini-game looks really cool. I could see a similar script being used for a shooting gallery for sure.

I'm trying to think of more ideas but it's hard to comprehend the limits of MapEd and the scripting involved.

I'm also thinking of a way I can get involved with making sections of the map. I'll have to really brainstorm on what I can help with. :)
IGN: 1
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Thanks for your offer 1, I'll send you the map and scripts in a bit and a rough outline of things that need to be done.
Don't worry about limitations - certainly there is stuff that cannot be done but there may be ways to improvise.
Bugbo
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bugbo »

Maybe for the veggie toss have a cross-hair moving around randomly or in a set pattern and the player has to 'throw' the veggie when it's on the guy in the stocks, though I have no idea of the difficulty of coding that. Thus make it more a game of skill rather than chance.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Yeah I totally understand that a skill based mini game is more fun than a game based on chance (chance sucks anyway as I have just noticed looking for a new appartment but I digress). However a cross-hair would likely needed to be hardcoded into the game engine and cannot be done with lua. So much for not worrying about restrictions ;]
Bugbo

Post by Bugbo »

What about a random veggie or fruit instead of a crosshair?
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Technically and pure theoretically speaking what might be possible:
Using a mobs heartbeat script it would be possible to indicate the location of the next throw with a magic spell effect, e.g. ijo every second or so. This hearbeat would somehow transfer this location to the switch features I placed above the veggies on the table (probably by changing the features dx,dy values which are otherwise unused). The player who activates his veggie switch first will hit that location and manipulate the other switches so that everyone else throw will in theory go wild until the next location is highlighted by the mobs heartbeat. However, I dunno if it would really work well considering lag etc., but it certainly is worth a try.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Is it possible to make a ladybug or pacman like game in euo? Ladybug had a vegetable harvest in a maze.
ZUPS!!!!
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

I thought about a Pacman clone as well recently. Most of the stuff like picking up dots or power pallets with the respective effect on the ghost would be possible. You will not be able to see the whole maze at a time though. The biggest problem would be the ghost AI I guess. That goes from all ghost are chancing you on the same path, doing nothing if you are out of sight or getting stuck in a corner.Does not seem to be so bad and rising the sight radius of the ghosts helps a lot. And I could think of a million ways to cheat. These issues aside - yeah why not.
We would have to decide on the maze layout though - arcade pac-man/misses pac-man, game console clones, cd-man.
Personally I am all for a Tapper clone - just listen to the DOS versions music XD. But that will be a hard nut to make. Only the intro music of paratroopers is even more nostalgic for me.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Good news Keighn - got a good chunk of pac man scripted:
- collecting dots
- collecting power palettes will turn ghost blue and make them flee
- after 5 secs ghost will return into normal chase mode
Have to add a death-func to the ghost so that they respawn in the middle.
Also have to add the barrier in the middle and script a win situation.
I used the classic arcade pac man maze for now.
Bugbo

Post by Bugbo »

For the pac man game would it be possible to bestow the x-ray vision effect on the player with a script? If not then maybe you can just use tiles that don't block the view.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Good thinking Bugbo. I went for your latter suggestion and turned it as close as possible to mimic pacman arcade visuals. With out further ado, here is what I have atm:
pacman.png
Additional to my previous post, I have to figure out how to implement a scoring system, etc.. I am not sure if this will be a part of the carnival map but so far it was great fun to work on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Holy shit that looks nice!
IGN: 1
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Thanks 1.
I have added a score counter to the map:
Score.png
Additionally, I drew the layout for the Ms. Pacman mazes but haven't scripted anything there yet.
I am not sure how to handle the Highscore counter atm. Furthermore, I am using global variables for some stuff atm though I would like to avoid in the long run.
Aside from highscore I have to add a life system, the bonus fruit points, the gate for the ghost den, player/ghost speed and how to proceed after winning/dying.
Restriction I came across so far are ghosts AI and general movement of the player and ghosts, as well as killing a ghost is cumbersome.

Edit: Highscore now works and should be saved server-side as a text string of a sign-feature. Global vars still give me some headache but I am moving slowly away from them. Also at 10k points you are granted a extra life token. Also I gonna add a counter for the collected dots next to highscore. While this was not in the original game, I have to keep track of this value anyway and can as well make it visible to the player.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON holy cow
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

LM you never cease to amaze me. I was thinking today about mini games and thought of a few things. One was to check on your progress and the next was if egg had thought of bringing back the save the cow from dying in lava game.

The last was if anyone had messed around with a few emulators to check some mini games in other RPGs :

Questron had trap shooting, a magic squares, roulette, black jack
Questron 2 had some others including high - low
Legacy of the ancients had a plinko like game
Mars saga actually had a slot machine game.

But a full fledged PAC man game. Wowzers man.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Man it has been some time since my last update - and sadly I have not much to report today either. The movement to a new apartment is done but when I get home from work I spent most time with my family and do not feel like doing much on the PC.
Anyway, the last I remember from the pacman script is that I encountered some issues that are probably not server friendly. When I read about egg's EftV posting to update its engine I thought it might be a better choice to combine the pacman script with the EftV client to make a standalone mini game.
In hindsight I should have finished carnival carnage first for a Halloween release....