Carnival Carnage - Map DevLog

Moderator: EUO Moderators

LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Carnival Carnage - Map DevLog

Post by LordMortiferus »

Reading about ligand field theory, Fenton chemistry etc. my mind wandered off. I started to think about a new map concept based loosely on the Dark Carnival map of the old third person shooter Blood as well as Rollercoaster Tycoon. The idea is to have a map with carnival/theme park elements that might even be interactive. I would like to create the illusion of a theme park with the limited resources of 2d topdown perspective the game offers.

So far I collected ideas for the following elements:
Marry-go-around
Swinging Ship
Raft ride
Hedge Maze
Top Spin (maybe)
Shoot-A-Duck
Whack-A-Mole (Keighn's idea)
House of mirrors
Circus tent
Love Tunnel (1/Djanno's idea)
German Bierzelt *new*
Freak show (hybrid mobs) *new*
Information desk / food and drink stand *new*
House of Giants *new*
Restrooms *new*
Fortune Teller *new*

Themed areas:
Pirate ships
Pyramids *new*

If you guys have any ideas that can be envisioned by the 2d engine let me know in the posts below. And if you feel confident with maped it would be really cool if you could create elements (feel free to pick from the list above) and post a screenshot of it.

I'll start posting pics in 2 weeks probably. Ofc I'll keep working on the other map.
Last edited by LordMortiferus on Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Re: Carnival Carnage - Map DevLog

Post by LordMortiferus »

reserved for pics
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Very creative idea Lord M. I like it!

I'm gonna brainstorm about this and maybe mess around in Maped with it.

I'd like to see a polished version (if possible) of Rusty's raft ride from Lost Jungle and adapted to his map.
IGN: 1
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Yeah Rusty's Raft Ride (R³) could be adopted for the map - wont make for a fast ride though due to the limits of heartbeat funcs which has a 1 sec delay in between actions.

Anyway, hope to read about some nice ideas and see some cool contributions! If the ride/attraction makes it into the map I'll name it after the original creator (might change the layout/tileset of the submitted work though to fit the overall style of the map).
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

LordMortiferus wrote:Yeah Rusty's Raft Ride (R³) could be adopted for the map - wont make for a fast ride though due to the limits of heartbeat funcs which has a 1 sec delay in between actions.
Rusty's Tunnel of Love :heart:
Djanno :smoke:
Chedich
on lolpatrol

Post by Chedich »

Djanno wrote: Rusty's Tunnel of Love :heart:
You better be able to be 2 on that ride then. :P
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Love Tunnel is a good idea and would probably work well with rusty's code - added it to the list in my first post. If you guys want to make something with maped feel free to pick anything from that list aswell.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

I managed to animate a larger boat (5x3 tiles) going into one direction while transporting a player.
shipride.png
I had a bit trouble with the script at first (still not sure why) but after taking a different, albeit less beautiful approach for the code, it worked. Anyway, having two people on the same ride should work.

Edit: what are you guys using to capture game footage? Could propably post videos but need some software that works on old XP laptops.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

LordMortiferus wrote:I managed to animate a larger boat (5x3 tiles) going into one direction while transporting a player.
shipride.png
I had a bit trouble with the script at first (still not sure why) but after taking a different, albeit less beautiful approach for the code, it worked. Anyway, having two people on the same ride should work.

Edit: what are you guys using to capture game footage? Could propably post videos but need some software that works on old XP laptops.
Wow that's really impressive Lord M. Are the players forced to remain stationary during boat movement (IE in their seat)?

I could only imagine if the code was expanded further to allow for epic pirate fights at sea for a different map or a separate map for ships.

I am also interested in a video capture software, if you find one that works well with EUO, let me know.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

You can move around while the ship is moving. I am not sure what will happen when two people occupy the same spot though. Applying this to larger areas might not work smoothly.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Had a chat with Chad earlier about players sharing the same spot - and as I feared this seems to be a problem. I hope this can be circumvented by a while loop which will get a pointer of a specific location and move the players in succession to the left until the pointer turns out to be nil.

Code: Select all

-- this code is executed within a heartbeat function of a mob
while get_sent_ptr_xyz(x,y,m.map_level) ~= nil do
p=get_sent_ptr_xyz(x,y,m.map_level)
send_player_to_xy(p.id, p.x-1, p.y)
end
Next question would be if sending players to the same spot works.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Ah if only we didn't have more gfx of cotton candy, mimes, clowns, balloons, etc....
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

With ToLS out of the way (Yada!!) I will slowly channel my creativity into Carnival Carnage. All ready added some more ideas to the OP.
Also updated the hq2x version of Btiles24, which can be downloaded from the manual or from my dropbox (link to the 32x32 tiles forum thread). Had to remove some blurring from a sprite to make it tint the way the original 16x16 does - this was needed for ToLS.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I know you had a question mark on whack a mole wabbit

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3960&p=67239&hilit=wack#p67238

And here for the holes idea

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2534&start=200#p67297

I'm sure something better could be developed.

Google barbarian II or axe of rage and find the dungeon shots or videos. There is a pit monster you only see its tongue and where it grabs you and chomps ya and spits out your skull.
Last edited by Keighn on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Ah I knew it was yours, couldn't find the original post though - well chance are I didn't even tried to find it. I removed the question marked and thanks for the links.
I was thinking about using sandtraps for the mole that randomly pop up over hole-in-the-ground maptiles.
Using a controller mob that spawns and removes the sandtraps on the playfield at random in a 1sec cycle should do the trick.
Turtle
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Turtle »

it would be cool if games like whack a mole had a "win" state, and would spawn a prize or something if you won.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Can't wait to see an animated gif of that.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

I think I could script a win/loose situation for wack-what-ya-want.

Here is may preliminary layout for the map:
carnival carnage.png
House of Horrors and Love Tunnel will be underground.
Same map in large.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Yes yes yes! Awesome Lord M. I gotta start working on EUO again :mad:
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Thanks 1.
In the meantime I filled most of the white spaces in the pic above with content. The overworld map is nearly done actually. Gonna add a sub-terrain map for the House of Terror, Pharao's Tomb and maybe for the Pirate Ship.
Scriptwise I haven't start but I seriously want to script wack-a-mole and some stuff in the house of terror to create some sorts of jump scare moments. Also on my list is the love tunnel and waterslide.
Gonna be on the road again over the next week - if and when I have time I try to participate at the tourney.