Apocalyptic New Sosaria 'expansion'

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

Apocalyptic New Sosaria 'expansion'

Post by eggmceye »

lvl026small.png
Let's try something new: open map development. Normally I keep new map developments somewhat secret. This time it would be interesting to talk about it openly, with the aim of getting help and getting it finished. Not willing to talk about how to get there - I have that already decided and I am keeping that to myself.

Progress so far:
What you see above. The plan is to arrive on this map down on the island far south east, and make your way up to the bucc den island, then portal (perhaps) due north to where the desert tower is roughly. The map is divided into a linear path by means of mountains and voids - but this path isn't finalised.

I wanted to move the blood minos to where minos is on this map, and similarly for mountain pass. More blood instances can be added.

I want to add more new maps though: 1's new map, morty's new map - if feasible.

More ideas in point form:
* void monsters
* void falls
* void whirlpool
* 2 headed cows from eftv
* fort g is occupied by bk? town (what does bk stand for? I've forgotten)
* ogre town replaced by An Najaf, which is an ancient map I made for euo but it's never been live.

- I don't know what the green plus signs + mean! I like them though
- I like the void spirals
- I don't think the map will wrap - so you can't just sail east from the start.
- Nor do I think ships may work ?
- I could add more random maps of course

Looking for suggestions and people to help make maps.

Pinterest:
http://www.pinterest.com/eggmceye/apoca ... w-sosaria/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Onyxt
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Re: Apocalyptic New Sosaria 'expansion'

Post by Onyxt »

What are these void monsters, whirlpools, and falls?
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Eclips »

I had an idea for a tower map that would be cool to connect New Sosaria and the Apocalyptic expansion. It would be easier to work on than my other, and I could crank it out fairly quickly.
MoonGoat
Good morning, Captain.

Post by MoonGoat »

For the "no ship"-part, maybe add a sign or npc or something that says that the water is extremely acidic or something.
"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
―Cave Johnson
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

I'll be using this post as a catch-all that I don't make a separate thread for. So far my only other thread are my two shrouded maps which are 99% complete (just submitted ver 1.0 to Egg).

CREATURE IDEAS
See post on next page.

HUNTING GROUNDS
Shrouded wood and shrouded outpost - completed by me, egg is puting final touches on.

Hunting ground ideas: invaded safety bunker, frozen wasteland, shadow plaines, barren savanna, chaos dimension, infernal depths, fire/lava level, contaminated river or lake theme, sky theme, chaos theme, ethereal theme, swamp theme, radioactive beach, and some other ones on a notepad I have somewhere. These ideas are not reserved by me and I encourage others to use them.

Hybrid levels are cool, let's make some that start with a set map, have a random map(s), then end with a set map. Here are ideas for randomly generated dungeons:
Abandoned Bunker - randomly generated "dungeon" levels with void creatures.
Wyrm Caverns - Level 1 white drags, level 2 blue drags, level 3 green drags, level 4 black drags, level 5 red drags (optional are drakes, fire drags, ice drags, shadow drags).
Shadow Plaines - random outside generated level with lava and dirt and portals connecting the maps (start in middle, 8 maps surrounding: E, NE, W, S, SW, etc), all shadow mobs.
Marshlands - a large outside generated with dead trees, dirt, and swamp with hydras, a second map underground could be similar but with blood hydras.
Scorched Wasteland - two outside generated levels with lava, cactus, and sand full of fire drakes, fire foxes, and fire daemons. two more levels with lava, foothills, mountains and sand could have fire dragons.
Infernal Depths - Full of lava and dark tiles, level 1 imps, level 2 devils, level 3 daemons, level 4 balrons.
Uncharted North - 2 snow themed outdoor levels (one with frost mephits and ice mephits, one with ice dragons) and 1 snow themed underground level full of ice dragons.
Boneyard - A randomly generated graveyard full of Liches, under the graveyard could be a cavern full of daemons.
Sanguine Fortress - An underground fortress or random dungeon level, level 1 blood golems, blood drakes, blood hyrdas; level 2 blood warriors, blood mages, blood dragons; level 3 blood lords and blood wyverns.
Forest Lodge - A run down forest with tree ents, drakes, blue dragons, white dragons, and green dragons.

MISC IDEAS
I strongly feel that muskets should be added in with this apoc. expansion; nothing screams apoc more than guns :rebel: (they should be hard to craft like mythicing or rare drops). Current muskets get renamed vintage musket and new muskets get added in and kept under the ranged skill (for now).

Make void falls suck you into the void. This can be used for fast travel across by walking through the void and going through a whirlpool to spit you back out into the apoc overworld (small distance in the void = long distance outside the void). The void could also have it's own set of maps (sorta like apoc new sosaria's version of the underworld?)

EDIT: Added a lot of ideas.
Last edited by 1[WoWz] on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:45 am, edited 7 times in total.
IGN: 1
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

This map feels very Venusian.

Reading the red as lava, I'd imagine there would be something called "Vog". Similar to fog or smog, Vog is a type of natural air pollution that comes from active volcanic openings. Common to places like Hawaii, Vog is a mix of sulfur dioxide, various gases, and ash that condenses with the oxygen and moisture and hangs in the air, often obscuring the sunlight until it settles. The idea comes to mind as a way to make these lands a place where Vampires can be part-time Daywalkers without taking as much sunlight damage.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I hope it uses a lot of gfx set (color) and what not from EFTV. When I got out of the vault I really did feel like I was in a wasteland and didn't know what to step on at first. Definitely use as many mutant nasty creatures.

I like the idea of society being forced underground. Reminds me of apocyptical games but very much reminds me of the First Might & Magic where towns were built underground for the relative safety of the denizens.

Weapons? Spells? Technology? Hopfully all hard to find to keep it rare.
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

Void monsters make me think of shoggoth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoggoth and other chutulu-related entities.
Djanno :smoke:
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

This will be cool. Hope I really finish the map this time and get it to fit the overall theme.
By the way, will apocalyptic Sosaria have a day/night cycle or will be a dark brooding place with sole night-time atmosphere ? Just wondering.

Reading 1's ideas for void mobs reminds me that the lua function m.weapon to set a specific visible weapon does not seem to work.

Speaking about Lovecraftian weirdness:
cthulhu.png
Edit: m.weapon = Item(0xWeaponitemcode) and m.shield = Item(0xShielditemcode) do work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LordMortiferus on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

LordMortiferus wrote:This will be cool. Hope I really finish the map this time and get it to fit the overall theme.
By the way, will apocalyptic Sosaria have a day/night cycle or will be a dark brooding place with sole night-time atmosphere ? Just wondering.

Reading 1's ideas for void mobs reminds me that the lua function m.weapon to set a specific visible weapon does not seem to work.

Speaking about Lovecraftian weirdness:
cthulhu.png
The day/night cycle is an interesting topic. I wouldn't mind something completely different such as a whole day of sun and then a whole day of darkness. Or even darkness all the time but random "solar flares" that light up the whole map, damage vamps, etc.

Hmm, if setting a specific weapon doesn't work, the tiles could always be made with the weapon in hand (E.G. phantom, skeleton archer, etc). It might be cool to make them left handed or something anyway :o

That tile is pretty slick Lord M haha

Let's brainstorm about transportation; should any of these work: drake mount, horse mount, raft, ship in a bottle, flying carpet? Honestly, I think none of these should work. I like the idea of going into and out of the void for fast travel (think maybe the nether from minecraft).
Last edited by 1[WoWz] on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

Ideas for void monsters/void spells:

Void pulse- knocks all adjacent players back 2 to 3 tiles and hamstrings for 1 to 2 seconds.

Void tear- opens black hole on a tile that pulls players within a 3x3 radius in. Any player that hits the affected tile takes massive damage.

Void tenticle- summons void colored, immobile corpser. Captured player asphyxiation until tenticle is destroyed or disappears.

Phase walk - melee mob appears behind the direction you are facing and does 1.5 damage and chance to bleed.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Maintaining a map list would be a good thing. Even if you aren't working on a map for Apoc. New Sosaria, let me know and I'll add it to the list. Here is the list on the manual http://euotopia.com/manual/index.php/Map_List

OPEN MAP LIST
26 - Reserved.
208 -
212 - Probably reserved.
254 - Reserved by 1 for Sanguine Fortress
255 - Reserved by 1 for Boneyard
256 - Reserved by 1 for Pet Cemetery
257 - Probably reserved.
258 - Probably reserved.
259 -
260 - Reserved by Lord M. for Town of lost souls
261 - Reserved by Lord M. for Town of lost souls
262 - Reserved by Lord M. for Town of lost souls
263 - Reserved by Lord M. for Town of lost souls
264 -
265 -
266 -
267 -
268 -
269 -
270 -
271 -
272 -
273 -
274 -
275 -
276 - Reserved by 1 for Uncharted North
283 - Probably reserved.
284 -
285 -
287 - Shrouded Forest (reserved by 1) Might be moved though.
288 - Shrouded Outpost (reserved by 1) Might be moved though.
289- Probably reserved.
290 - Random continent reserved
291 - Probably reserved.
292 - Probably reserved.
293 - Probably reserved.
294 - Probably reserved.
295 - Probably reserved.
296 - Probably reserved.

A lot of vague information is above I know. If you start work on a single map it won't be a big deal to rename it. If it's several maps, pick a wide range from above and notify me ASAP so I can add it on here (it will save you headaches so you don't have to redo all your level changers!)
Last edited by 1[WoWz] on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tink
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Tink »

Muskets.

Steampunk technology?
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

@1:

Haven't assigned fixed numbers to the map.
Mackey

Post by Mackey »

Eternal night due to *something* blocking out the sun.
Grunkk
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by Grunkk »

Mackey wrote:Eternal night due to *something* blocking out the sun.
omg yes, and include all the dungeons from old new sosaria for vampires :)
On a search to find the meaning of life... Oh wait, to get to level 450!
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

Mackey wrote:Eternal night due to *something* blocking out the sun.
Yeah, that's what VOG is. ;-)
DrRude wrote:Reading the red as lava, I'd imagine there would be something called "Vog". Similar to fog or smog, Vog is a type of natural air pollution that comes from active volcanic openings. Common to places like Hawaii, Vog is a mix of sulfur dioxide, various gases, and ash that condenses with the oxygen and moisture and hangs in the air, often obscuring the sunlight until it settles. The idea comes to mind as a way to make these lands a place where Vampires can be part-time Daywalkers without taking as much sunlight damage.
Anything larger than that to block the Sun (e.g. - a planet or greater distance from Sun) and you're talking about an environment where everything is dead and nothing can grow, ultimately resulting in no breathable air. Breaks the "Goldilocks Zone" principle of planetary evolution.
Bugbo

Post by Bugbo »

DrRude wrote: Anything larger than that to block the Sun (e.g. - a planet or greater distance from Sun) and you're talking about an environment where everything is dead and nothing can grow, ultimately resulting in no breathable air. Breaks the "Goldilocks Zone" principle of planetary evolution.
Well theoretically a planet orbiting very close to the star could be tidaly locked with one side always facing the star and always in light with the other facing away from the star and always in darkness.
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

Bugbo wrote:
DrRude wrote: Anything larger than that to block the Sun (e.g. - a planet or greater distance from Sun) and you're talking about an environment where everything is dead and nothing can grow, ultimately resulting in no breathable air. Breaks the "Goldilocks Zone" principle of planetary evolution.
Well theoretically a planet orbiting very close to the star could be tidaly locked with one side always facing the star and always in light with the other facing away from the star and always in darkness.
While it's true that a close-orbiting planet could be tidally locked with one side always facing the star, by almost all astrobiological accounts it greatly reduces (or eliminates) the chances of complex life evolving or surviving on that planet. If it ever happened on the planet Earth we'd be screwed with a capital S.

Here are a few articles that should put it into perspective:

http://www.astrobio.net/exclusive/4386/ ... hospitable

http://io9.com/5980667/dark-side-of-the ... lly-locked
Eclips

Post by Eclips »

Why are we arguing physics in a made up world that already proves to defy planetary physics. The world wraps latitudinally but not longitudinally. Not to mention magic and the fact that simple things like cloud cover can block out the sun.