Crafting and Trade Skill Concerns

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Zilverlight
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Crafting and Trade Skill Concerns

Post by Zilverlight »

I've realized a complete lack in usefulness of Trade Skills. I created a thread (after looking through the development section a few pages and not seeing one about it.) so that we could visit concerns and questions about how nearly no trade skill has effectively made EUO nothing more than a Grind to Win game.

WoT - Allows user to transfer the + from one weapon onto another.

Non craftable, only able to be found from hunting/looting dungeons or bought from Cash Shoppe. Understandable as this is a very powerful tool in being able to customize your own gear and tailor it to fit your play style, but this creates a lack in need to raise any trade skill. Cash Shoppe wands can be used without 100% Enchanting, and are better than regular WoT wands with the 20% chance to retain + value.

I think these should be altered: Regular WoT requires 100% Enchanting to use, with 10% chance of retaining value, while GWoT does not require 100% Enchanting to use, however only gives 10% chance to retain value, unless you have 100% Enchanting, in which case, it gains the extra 10%, making it 20% chance to retain value. This would still make GWoT useful as purchase for those that don't have GM Enchanting or just don't have enough WoT's, but gives an incentive to raise Enchanting to Max.

WoA - Allows the raise to raise (Amplify) the charge on an item by + 1.

Perfect placement of 100% Enchanting and required use of both bril red and bril blue shards. However, this only works on +1-4 weapons, + 1-3 armour (I think can only raise to + 4 defense) and +1-14 stat items. This is not entirely a bad issue, only limits the use of other crafting skills. One would have to craft a weapon, enhance it through a fountain and THEN they would be able to Amplify the + further. Armour cannot be crafted and then Amplified as there is no way to enhance armour with + defense OR + stat.

I think this should be altered: WoA when used on a mundane weapon in a pile with a diamond, enhances the weapon with a + 1. (You may add requirement for the weapon in question to have an additional diamond on it everytime you want to increase it's value further. But beyond this, I don't see much point, diamonds are not a frequent find in looting and not commonly found while mining.) WoA when used on armour or jewelery with a fire opal, will enchant the armour/jewel with + 1 defense. Sapphires will enchant it with + 6 int (As to not discourage people having to use 10 more WoA just to make it hold some sort of value. Also could add that stat enchantments of certain value will be raised to a new certain value upon use of a WoA. IE: + 6-8 int, when used with a WoA will all become + 9, + 9-10 will all be raised to + 11 and after + 11, must be raised + 1 at a time (to avoid requireing 9 WoT just to get your gear from the + 6 all the way to + 15, since + 15 stat is not a big bonus)) As with Sapphires, Rubies will enchant with str, emeralds with dex. Bringing back this form of the old enchanting will bring use to the weaponsmithing, armoursmithing and half the woodcrafting skills, bringing incentive for people to raise these skills for a purpose other than just so they can Mythic something, and would give a value to the skill after it's already been GM'd.

Town Merchants

Town Merchants offer nearly useless items for the most part, When was the last time anyone bought something fro Iolo's Bows, or Nord Smithy (that wasn't a tool?) Not to mention, the selling value is a meager profit for items. Dagger + 5 will sell for 33gp, same as a dagger + 1.

A change I've had in mine: Town Merchants (Smiths, Bowmakers, Tailors and the likes) could sell very basic enchanted items. All nontinted, + 1 AS/Def, and +6 stat items. This would allow new players a way to purchase gear that would improve their performance at an early stage. High level players would have no need for these, but it would prove useful for lower levels. Could also incorporate + 1 NV gear as well. Prices could be twice what the item sells for or only slightly higher.
Another change in mind: Allow players to sell nonenchanted items, for a less than meager profit. This would allow more use for the crafting skills without need for mastered enchanting. When selling enchanted items, the amount made in gold could be increased by the + of the item. This way selling a dagger + 5 wouldn't give the same gold as a dagger + 1. (I can understand if this isn't added into the game, being too much gold exists in the game already)
Could also add to each crafting skill tree, some way to enhance items, instead of using the WoA to increase a weapon or armour's value from mundane to + 1, you could add an item craftable by each of these trade skills that would allow you to enhance the items only crafted by that profession (IE: Whetstone or something similar that would add a + 1 to weapons being craftable from master smiths, with similar items for armoursmithing, woodcrafting and Jeweler (for rings.)

Jeweler

Maybe a new trade could be added for creating jewelery. This new Jeweler craft could be used to make each different type of ring (instead of just gold rings) as well as each different type of necklace. New jeweled items could be introduced (crowns or circlets being unarmoured headwear.) This could also open up new roads to making refined gems. Instead of finding diamonds and similar gems while mining, you find a raw diamond or raw topaz. These raw gems can be cut by a jeweler into basic diamonds, or even add different grades going up to pristine or flawless. You could then use these higher value gems with WoA as the ingredient to base the value of an enchant (if incorporated). Higher level jewelers may even be able to turn ingots into rings (enabling blackrock bands, copper bands and gold or silver bands to be added into the rotation (outside of boss drops)) The rate that gems are found may have to be increased, as they are too uncommon for a Jeweler skill to be raised effectively by any level.

Weaponsmithing and Armoursmithing

It seems like there is a TON (and I mean a literal ton) of required materials and work that needs to be done just to get your smithing skills up to max, and there is absolutely NO payoff to raising these skills except for the fact that (for some reason) they need to be mastered to Mythic items. Apparently the ONLY possible way to raise your weaponsmithing skill to lv 100 is with the use of venomous + 5 ingots, requiring (what I've been told) hundreds upon hundreds of these ingots... Not only is venomous one of 10 (unless I miscounted) tints that are ALL uncommon drops, the chances of getting a venomous weapon is slim, the chances that it would be highly rewarding as far as deconstruction goes, even more unlikely... for NO payoff from this skill, i will say, If I wasn't extremely determined to have the ability to make my weapons glow red on my own without need of anyone else, I'd have decided to screw smithing and probably crafting altogether. It is an extremely daunting skill and nothing but aggravation to raise and the same exact thing can be said about armoursmithing requireing + 15 stat items (Although you have a larger variety to decon as most armours that are + 15 or higher stat can be disenchanted to 15 and deconstructed this is still a huge waste of time to raise this skill to master for only the ability to make mythic weapons) Most older players have these skills maxed from when it was easier, new players don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of becoming interested in crafts whatsoever at this point.

I think either these two skills need to be combined into one smithing skill, can keep the seperate tools to help keeping the two trees within the one skill easier to navigate, or find a new way to make these skills worth raising. Could take a suggestion given above, giving the ability to enhance mundane items or another suggestion could be given with ways to make this skill appealing to players.

Along with this rant, I'd like to offer a suggestion that was mentioned before: barbed wire (crafted from tinkering) smithed with an ingot to make barbed ingots, runes (i find these a lot throughout drops and still haven't figured on my own what they are used for) can be smithed with ingots to make runed ingots... i'm stumped thinking what could be crafted to make addled... unless a confusing powder of some sort could be made with alchemy and combined with ingots for addled ingots. This would also allow these three tints to be deconstructed and reforged into new weapons as well. (I still believe adamantium and vampyric should be nerfed so these weapons could be deconstructed and reforged as well without it being too overpowered.) I also believe Diamond should be recraftable and perhaps even made from a jeweler.

I would love to hear of other people's concerns, questions and hopefully suggestions about ways to improve the trading community.
I only fear this game has become too much of a dungeon bashing game to make any use out of trade skills anymore. It's a legitimate concern...
Would definitely appreciate people quoting certain parts of this post and giving their opinions on each part individually. Thanks in advance for any and all input.
Last edited by Zilverlight on Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Desmond (AKA: Rurik)
EmoMage

Re: Crafting and Trade Skill Concerns

Post by EmoMage »

**IF YOU WANT THE SHORT VERSION, SKIP TO THE BIG RED STAR**

Could this be considered as partly mythic'ing? I know you're talking about crafting, and I saw a section of newbies don't stand a chance of crafting at this point, or something like that...and as a newb, you're exactly correct. They don't want to craft, but at the same time, when they hit the 40's and 50's and wonder and start asking questions about what is "mythic", what is "felmythic", what is "balastral" or whatever the case may be, they're going to learn that it's a crafting state of making your amazing weapons even better. That (in my opinion anyway...) will make a newbie want to craft, to achieve those greater opportunity "standards".

.........then you have people like me. I don't mind crafting, and over time, I've GM'd a lot of skills more than once among different characters. With that being said, I don't have them ALL. There is only one character that has every single skill maxed, and he doesn't count for what I'm about to say. The people like me who have all but, maybe 1 or 2, skills GM'd, and we're too lazy to find the stuff to actually craft to make the mythic'ing shtuffs, will find trades for someone else to do it for them. Once that train starts, it's a hard one to de-rail. Now, with saying that, I craft when I'm board of hunting, but for the most part, basically, you could say I have someone else "do my crafting for me". There's both sides of the fence from my point of view, and no one else (probably) will feel the same way I do about it, but you wanted opinions, and there's mine.

*I like crafting, but it unnerves me at the same time, even though I need to do it to be more independent, I also don't care.

(this post wasn't meant to piss anyone off, and if I came off as a smart ass, I didn't mean to)
eggmceye wrote:
ParadoxOfChoice wrote: Zombie using bow/sling probably shouldn't give disease.

the zombies are pulling the arrows out of their ass
Zilverlight

Post by Zilverlight »

Doesn't sound like it would piss people off to me. You just ask for help from other players until you nonchalantly work your crafting skills to GM without spending the hours of work all in one sitting. Makes sense. But, like you said. While newbies may want to be able to enhance their gear, they will most likely just ask someone else to do it for them. They won't want to raise the skills themselves because they will find out how long and tedious it is and just to give their weapons a cool glow and deal + 12% damage?

I honestly don't hunt that much, that's not why I play the game. I enjoy being there with my friends and doing stuff with them, if we hunt we hunt, if we don't, I'm usually at my house rummaging through junk.

I've been collecting EVERYTHING (anything that drops, there is nothing that gets left on the floor except perhaps leathers because they weigh a lot in large quantities) for years now and I've built up a decent stockpile (Most people have bigger stockpiles though) but I'm still finding it hard to come across all the ingredients in bulk to raise crafting skills sufficiently. my stockpiles are mostly for casual crafting of the items I need.

I thought about asking people, even may have asked once or twice... but honestly, I want to be able to do it on my own without help from anyone... I had to retrain every single skill on Desmond though, so I'm having to go through this all again, and that's why I'm realizing how worthless it all is now. All crafting skills have the same goal: Mythicing. Most have their own uses but some of them have no use beyond Mythic.

It's also making me realize how lucky we have been in the past, before my time in EUO, you could buy lv 100 from university, during my time, you could raise smithing skills from 0-100 off regular ingots and tinted ingots, regular ingots would get you past lv 60. now they only get you at most 40, tinted getting you only to 60 I believe. from there, the hardest parts of all are only enchanted ingots and enchanted tinted ingots which you have to hunt to gather on your own, and hunt a LOT to get enough of them, further making the only purpose of this game a dungeon crawler.

I do apologize for the length of my posts... I just kind of go and go and go... I type what comes to mind then and there. That's why the main post has colors.
EmoMage

Post by EmoMage »

Zilverlight wrote:the hardest parts of all are only enchanted ingots and enchanted tinted ingots which you have to hunt to gather on your own, and hunt a LOT to get enough of them
oh no no no. ;) you just have to know how to work the new crafting. :P For example. (I do this all the time on PD for friends and other people, and even for myself. Follow the steps closely. A couple steps I'm going to leave blank and tell you in game, I don't want to ruin a certain part of this...

Code: Select all

1. buy 4-5k of (______)
2. (________)
3. POLYPILE
4. take all the ingreds you get and save them
5. make/decon other weapons to get all the venomous ore/ingots you can get your hands on
6. make venomous claymores
7. take all of the claymores and dip them for a "+".      (doesn't matter if +1 or +3 you get)
8. take the said ingreds from step (4.) and make (_______)
9. use them on the veno claymores +1 - +3 and make them into +5
10. deconstruct them sum bitches
11. you have enough veno ingots to GM weaponsmith
Now, with that being said, armourer and tailoring is NOT quite as easy because you can't "dip" them in the fountains for a "+". However, I'm sure there are tons of +1-14 stat gear, and +1-3 defense. Buy them all up, people will just hand you the crappy items like that. Take the item you made from step (8.) above and make them into +15 stats and +4 defense and decon them.

There are multiple tricks through out to help you with crafting. There used to be a :cheese: with weaponsmith where you could make shitty veno maces and bless them, enchant with IOY to make them +6, read cursed scroll of uncurse to unbless the mace, disenchant to +5, decon, and bam...+5 veno ingots. (I believe this got fixed, but I know a certain few people who did this).

Anyway, hit me up in-game and I'll give you the down low playuhh.
eggmceye wrote:

Zilverlight

Post by Zilverlight »

Please, because the only way I'm seeing me reaching GM Weaponsmithing at this point is through 250ish WoA, 600 venomous ores (which require 2400 nightshade, which apparently cannot be bought from Apothecaries around EUO) and lots and lots of time spent getting weapons enhanced with fountains then wasting all the WoA just to get them all to + 5 so I can deconstruct them.

I also figured venomous great mauls might be the bigger weapon to make... but honestly I don't even know the amount of Ingots required to make each one. I'll find that out later.

The figures I have are just because I ended up having 600 snake venom, so I grabbed 600 ores, which I figured will make 60 claymore (I think it's 10 ingots each or that may be great mauls) then I lose 60 ingots from deconstruction... leaving me with 540 to work with and PRAYING it's enough because the nightshade... well, it can't even be bought and at the rate of how often a new moon arrives, it'll literally take me weeks even if I stay up all day every day to hit every single new moon just to get the 2k more I need.

I'd also still like to see some kind of upgrade to this skill so that there is something I can look forward to by raising this skill by itself. Maybe make it so that fighters and rogues could use this skill to actually MAKE items they could use for combat. I strongly believe smithing skills are placed in games for a reason. That reason is so that weapons, armour, other wearable items could be created, enhanced, made by players FOR players so that they can tailor their character more to their play style without relying ONLY on hunting for the items through dungeons. IE: A rogue who enjoys using ranged more could use woodcrafting so he can make arrows and craft a bow for himself that may be better than one he has. Higher level characters get the mythic from all crafts, give something to the mid/low level players who don't have any reason to play other than go into a dungeon and kill monsters hoping they can find some sort of weapon or armour that can replace the ones they are currently using (most of the time without success)
EmoMage

Post by EmoMage »

well now that you've said what you're making in step (8.).

that's what I was talking about. however, there is a way to get the magic spleens easy.
eggmceye wrote:

Luxorious
on lolpatrol

Post by Luxorious »

Easiest way to get spleens other than butchering, my opinion:
Polypile dragonhides / raw glass / snake fangs / hydra fangs or items that are in the same "polypile pool".

Zilverlight, I agree with you about everything here. Crafting should be an alternative to getting gear, not just means to mythicize items. Armourer is pretty useless unless you happen to be a dwarf making some mithril items and are sitting on a bunch of wands.

There should be a way to make +1 defense items and stats items with aid of gems. This would make crafting more bearable.

Jeweler sounds like a nice craft, maybe jeweler could make some (crude) sigils, or is that too much?

GWoT and WoT should have the same chance to keep the old suffix, maybe WoT should have even higher chance, since you need 100 enchanting and you have to find that wand too, they are very rare.

If town merchants sold low level enchanted gear, they could be unid and cheap priced for some excitement.

Smithing & armourer could be just smithing or blacksmithing.

I like the idea about making barbed / addled etc tinted items, since they aren't that good really (atleast in my opinion).

What's your opinions on being able to WoT pretty much everything (with regular WoT wand + 100 enchanting), except the greater the tint / suffix = the greater the chances of failing? I explained this in detail at the ideas 2004 thread.

Thanks,
Luxorious
No, I don't wear a watch. As my Dad used to say, "I'm not into time, man."
Zilverlight

Post by Zilverlight »

Luxorious wrote:GWoT and WoT should have the same chance to keep the old suffix, maybe WoT should have even higher chance, since you need 100 enchanting and you have to find that wand too, they are very rare.
I actually agree with you there. Should be an added benefit to using regular over greater being that regular requires you achieving 100 enchanting. I think egg made it the way he did since you're spending real money on the greater wands, that he thought there should be a better benefit for it.
Luxorious wrote:What's your opinions on being able to WoT pretty much everything (with regular WoT wand + 100 enchanting), except the greater the tint / suffix = the greater the chances of failing? I explained this in detail at the ideas 2004 thread.
I didn't read this thread, but I still think this would be what egg is trying to avoid. If you look at all the higher level players (most of the max level ones at least) they have over a dozen if not more than two dozen WoT... Unless you're making it 1% chance for success on vampyric and adamantium since that's the only tint people are going to try to WoT and being able to effectively WoT them further the narrowing of all weapons used to these tints.

That's why I feel all tints should be balanced out so that you don't have everyone shooting for only 1 tint near end game. This would allow all tints to be WoT and all tints to be craftable and deconable and would eliminate everyone fighting and fussing over addy weapons and vampyric weapons and tossing all silver and addled in the rubbish bin like it's not even worth the effort to give away.
EmoMage

Post by EmoMage »

Luxorious wrote:WoT wand

"wand of transference wand"

MURICA
eggmceye wrote:

Zilverlight

Post by Zilverlight »

Just realized you are no longer allowed to craft blackrock weapons. When did this happen?
EmoMage

Post by EmoMage »

when this whole crafting set up changed, the ability to craft blackrock WEAPONS was no more. I don't remember exactly when that did happen, but I'm going to guestimate, 2-3 years ago?
eggmceye wrote:

Luxorious
on lolpatrol

Post by Luxorious »

EmoMage wrote:MURICA
Actually, I'm one of those filthy mongol descendants...
And thanks for your contribution towards the thread, Magnavox/Aerie/EmoMage/Kev :heart:

Polypiling gives a slim chance to make some good stuff, but I think there should be some control over it (it = trying to craft goodies, not touching polypiling here, it's already great), by wands of transference.
I'm kinda thinking every tint / suffix should be in someway craftable, BUUUUUUUT those other tints should be made more interesting, like silver, runed et cetera.

Thanks,
Luxorious
No, I don't wear a watch. As my Dad used to say, "I'm not into time, man."
EmoMage

Post by EmoMage »

it do what it do baby, it do what it do.
eggmceye wrote:

Zilverlight

Post by Zilverlight »

Luxorious wrote:I'm kinda thinking every tint / suffix should be in someway craftable, BUUUUUUUT those other tints should be made more interesting, like silver, runed et cetera.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4898&start=560

Halfway down or so I put up a list of ideas for how to alter tints so that they could all be considered (more or less) equal. This would allow them all to be crafted without worry of everyone crafting 1 tint (with exception to vampyric, being that life steal is invaluable.) and without worry of any tint becoming overpowered. I agree that silver/runed/addled and the likes just aren't used for basically anything, venomous either really and gold is only used on mages for the most part.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

here we go!

i) all mmorpgs are grind to win, euo is no exception, especially on the reg server. I don't particularly like it, but that is how it is. Be great to have the first non grinding online rpg that people played forever.

ii) I read all of this thread. if I don't address a point it is because I'm not strongly opinionated about it

iii) gm smith is awful slow towards the end, lets fix that somehow!

iv) I would rather make something easier or more interesting than provide an incentive to complete a long and arduous task. Eg, I would rather make wepsmithing simply easier to get from 80 to 100 than to make it worthwhile to keep it as is but to provide a better reward at the end

v) I've always wanted to add better craftable high end stuff to wepsmith, ala vermilions & blueprints, but I'm lazy or get discouraged by it and leave it

vi) " .... where you could make shitty veno maces and bless them, enchant with IOY to make them +6, read cursed scroll of uncurse to unbless the mace, disenchant to +5, decon, and bam...+5 veno ingots" - I love this stuff, shame it got fixed. Such a good cheese. Let's put that back in somehow. Stuff like this makes the game interesting.

v) I agree with the sentiment that crafting should be viable alternative to getting the best gear for your guy. but fuck it is hard to design for

vi) I'm definitely mooting merging weapon & armour smiths

vii) Also ready to considering making many more tints craftable/deconstructable

viii) I've always wanted to make tints slightly more equal but think this is a pipe dream and also think it's possibly an overrated pipe dream. Balance is overrated.

ix) this crafting guide: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5035 is the best thread on crafting. I feel yr pain rurik but when I see a ranting multicoloured wall of text I tend to switch off. I'm only interested now that I've read teh crafting guide after it finally clicked that wepsmith was a megapain to get from 80 to 100.
EmoMage

Post by EmoMage »

mooting means..............?

and i think it's be a great idea to SOMEHOW craft MR +4 or str +30 dex or whatever the case may be. But at the same time, (IMO) the only way i can see this done is by adding a new skill (that strongly represents OLD enchanting) that allows to do such, but EXTREMELY rare items of sort (or something..)

bring back the brilliant diamons, other different "tinted" gems like it used to be to make our gear what we want.

example. lets say i found a gold gi torso +8 intel.. i could use the GM enchanting skill to make it +15 (magic amp wands), then use tinkering to make a diamond, enchanting again to make it brilliant, then the brilliant diamond can be used to make it +16.. up to +31 (to transfer to +30 on another item). Now, this may be over powering, but you said somehow to implement the best gear for your char into the game.

something else. bring back capture teh flag or something, but put an award at the end that can allow you to "win" GM necessity items. like i won a veno claymore +5. that'll give me 9 +5 atk veno weapons. That'd be fucking awesome... or make a "minigame" to win such items other than capture the flag.

I could probably think of more, but my thinker is locking up. i'll post more later.
eggmceye wrote:

Kracky
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Kracky »

After reading all this crafting/guide/grinding posts on gearing up, I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to simply add a legendary/epic skill to make the things that currently can't be made with regular skills.

I.E to craft a BR weapon you would:

Need 100 skill in regular Blacksmithing (weapon+armor skills as of now)
Then you can now raise the skill of "Epic" Blacksmithing skill
To raise the epic skill you can now and only make those tints and items that cannot be made with regular skills. Such as BR and high + items

Egg can make the skill level as slow or as fast as he wants AND has total control over how and what we can make such as stat +16 or BR even having this work with and into the "mythicing" as it is now

Asking Egg to completely overhaul the current skill system for basic things seems to be a bit insane. Having him add a single or a few unique skills to make top end items/gear seems a lot simpler and we can all suggest and advise on what items we want that won't be useless or broken to play.

Since making "mythics" currently takes several 100 skills to make, adding a new Epic-crafting skill would appear to solve a lot of problems and could slowly be added and improved as we go, instead of reworking all the current skills.

This can also apple to enchant and tailor and others of course, and can also incorporate rare and hard to gather items to add to the pool of craftables.

Also for those that hate or complain about all the grinding to get a 100 skill, having a "epic" version or something similar would make the grind worth it , if it unlocked a new higher level of craftables. It would certainly seperate those with patience and work from the kill-loot-kill-loot players.
Grunkk
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by Grunkk »

EmoMage wrote:something else. bring back capture teh flag
Capture the flag still exists, in Izumi.
On a search to find the meaning of life... Oh wait, to get to level 450!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

eggmceye wrote: iii) gm smith is awful slow towards the end, lets fix that somehow!
Severian
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Severian »

eggmceye wrote:
eggmceye wrote: iii) gm smith is awful slow towards the end, lets fix that somehow!
At the moment, you can harvest/make plain venomous/silver/copper ore, and then dip those in fountains to make them +1/+2/+3 before upgrading them via wands of magic amplification. You can also polypile venomous/silver/copper ore to upgrade them (at a rate of 3:1).

Polypiling non-tinted magical item may also yield items with the right tints for weaponsmithing.

One simple way to make weaponsmithing easier is to change the weaponsmithing skill requirements on base weapons to double the skill requirements on all weapons (e.g., hoe = 0% (previously 0%), mace = 20% (previously 10%), machete = 40% (previously 20%)). Doing this would mean you could gm weaponsmithing simply by making (plain) rondels +5/machetes +5. If this is too simple, then instead of doubling the skill requirements, you could multiple the current requirement by 1.5 (which would mean the last 10% would require tinted material).