Necromancers - development thread (closed)

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: Necromancers - coming soon to alpha maybe

Post by Keighn »

LMAO!
Probably hit the wrong key.... I hope.
Turtle
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Turtle »

Oh god, phone auto correct
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I can't help it but I'm still laughing.

So all us death worshippers this might apply: (I did have the zombie version up but god.. that's just gruesome)

And of course those undead should obey:
CinisterD
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by CinisterD »

Amazing start egg! (If you don't mind) I have a few things i wanted to touch base on...

I see the necromancers being a very defensive mage, making the summons/mobs do most the work. A few things i'd like to add.

- Circle 8 needs another spell, not a XC clone, but a solid necro "finisher" the AoE DoT is nice, but not overly useful on a mob more than once, and soul steal or w/e locks you in place, so if your fighting more than one monster (which mages do best) your kinda screwed. Even at high levels mages have to use multiple XC's

- I liked (I think it was keighns idea) about taking over a mob? I cant remember the specifics, but imagine "possessing" a dragon, taking full control of it, and running it into a room after casting that death explosion spell, itd be a walking time bomb.

- Maybe make some death protection spell? Necromancers are kings of the dead, i don't see them taking death lightly. maybe like a (you die in 10 seconds, kill a mob or you die spell) Ex. You die (after) casting "Last breath" On yourself, you kill a red drag (156 remaining hp) and you stay alive with 156 hp, or something along those lines.

don't get me wrong, i love the direction this is going, but i cant help but feel like its not complete yet. I'm more than willing to help however needed!

lastly (sorry guys) I'm all about bonecrafting, dwarves have mithtil, i can see this being fun.
Last edited by CinisterD on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CinisterD

Post by CinisterD »

also maybe make it so a necros summon/pet doesnt steal xp?

If a necros main line of offense is summons, it will take forever to level.
CinisterD

Post by CinisterD »

eggmceye wrote:

spread disease - C3 - In Bet Corp
not yet coded - inflicts disease on a target - effects yet to be determined pvm
How exactly will this work? Will it be a wind spell, an AoE, or like a XJ kind of spell (auto target, one mob)

Sorry for all the posts guys, I'm just very excited and would love to see this go live.
Turtle
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Turtle »

Necromancers should have skulls as an offhand item. Skull gives a vamp effect with charges of +1 to +3. This could work like leeching for mana.

Perhaps a new weapon instead of a staff.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Sickles, chains, whips,(scourges), torture implements?

The proto-version hasn't even been up for testing so we can only speculate on how well it will do. No sense coming to early conclusions until rigidly tested like a corpse suffering from rigamortis.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Even with /sorcery completely out you still have a lot of choices here:

1 pure necromancer (which I guess gets magery as well)
Necro/priest
Necro/fighter
Necro/rogue
Necro/monk

Any other various up to 100-200% depending on server and race. And yeah don't forget races.

Wonder if skeletuns get some sort of bonus being a necromancer. And don't forget being a Vampyre on top of that.
treos
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by treos »

well, now i see what everyone has been looking forward to. this necro class does sound pretty fun. been playing as a golem on alpha for a while and those are monstrous tanks but yeah, will definately try out necromancer too when its released onto alpha.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I was on a walk and thought about the green goblin and exploding pumpkin bombs. Maybe exploding flaming skulls for a throwing weapon or some other grenade-like weapon. I'm trying to think of new class of weapons for the class. I'm not sure too many would want scythes taken away from polearms so I thought of sickles and whips.
Cirrus
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Cirrus »

Keighn wrote:I was on a walk and thought about the green goblin and exploding pumpkin bombs. Maybe exploding flaming skulls for a throwing weapon or some other grenade-like weapon. I'm trying to think of new class of weapons for the class. I'm not sure too many would want scythes taken away from polearms so I thought of sickles and whips.
You can dig up skulls from graves now, right? How about using skulls as an off-hand item? I imagine they'd be kind of like orbs.
"If my head were any harder, you could use it as a cannonball!" - Pazu from Castle in the Sky

"Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue." - Proverbs 17:28

"The first annual Procrastinators' Club member meeting has been postponed until further notice." - Rusty's old sig.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I think I posted some stuff about that in Artifact thread... crystal skulls, etc... oh lemme find the post.
Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

CinisterD wrote:also maybe make it so a necros summon/pet doesnt steal xp?

If a necros main line of offense is summons, it will take forever to level.
+1

Necros should get full xp from summons, or at least way more than other classes.
It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.

Heniek, Macros, Reptile [reg]
Undertow, Macros, Khelavaster, Reptile, Burn [PD]
Turtle
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Turtle »

Could Necros cast an AoE life steal with their mouse? That might make them an exciting class to play.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I want to know what egg is using as inspiration for his necromancers. As he said its pretty well ready but he has unique angles at times and if I knew then maybe I'd make different suggestions.

Really, all might be pretty moot until it actually hits the alpha circuit for testing. I wouldn't mind seeing a check list for what we should be testing and the parameters the necro should be hitting.

I'm wondering if this is the first true sub-class of a series:
Magery:
------Sorcery
------Necromancy

Fighter:
----

Priest:
-----

Rogue:
-----

Monk:
------
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I also want to know what we should be looking for when testing them. Some general parameters.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Necros now live on alpha

updates since original necro announcement
* use /script necro to convert a sorcerer to necro on alpha (and back again)
* necros get bonus xp from summons: up to a max of 50% (normally the xp you get from a summon is 10%) - the necro xp summon bonus is proportional to your skill in necromancy
* added create undead charm spell for taming undead pets - use the undead charm as the food item to tame a pet ('u' use)
* diseased monsters lose 25% def, 25% MR (and diseased mobs don't spread it like zombies or diseased players)
* finished spread disease spell - changed to AoE - moved to circle 6
* added diseased 'Z' to the <> above heads - might change to avoid confusion with sleep
* updated Kal Xen such that it no longer spawns undead
* made ICK (giblet golems) and FGC (exploding corpse) AoE mass curses

see OP for how to convert or roll
MoonGoat
Good morning, Captain.

Re: Necromancers - NOW TESTING on ALPHA server

Post by MoonGoat »

After some testing as a necromancer, here's some issues:
- When using Cold hands of death or Greater cold hands at the direction of my summons, i get the text "attacking good NPC's is illegal" but the attack animation is still there.
- Giblet golems sometimes blocks the path, and i have to wait until they dissapear before i can continue... unless i use Blink, cyan pot etc.
- Lesser summons seems to last forever, but greater summons dissapears after just a few seconds. Imo, i would like the greater summons to last longer too. But if that's not possible, the lesser ones should have a short time limit too since they are blocking the summon slots for other summons.
- Cone of acid: Can't be used unless i stand next to the enemy AND have it as a target AND pressing the correct directional button towards it.
"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
―Cave Johnson
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Re: Necromancers - NOW TESTING on ALPHA server

Post by Eclips »

My cast times with a staff seem to be too long, at least a second longer than sorcery by my shitty count. Also, taking a staff off to see how that compared to magery spells didnt really seem to increase their cooldown.