Quests revision for 2013

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

Quests revision for 2013

Post by eggmceye »

AvatarAcid wrote:Thus far as a happy EUO nub, the only thing I have trouble doing is finding the targets for work. I don't want a quest marker, that is too nerf, but perhaps in the description of WORK > IMP you could include at least which level the target is on in Area X.
Eidolon wrote:quests need to give actual useable items.

they need to be something that is specific to your Class

Ghenta reinforced flasks quest: this really should be more like 5 reinforced flasks

have the Lord Byron statue quest give a small tutorial on smithing and mining. make it optional. when I was doing this, not only was it poorly worded, but it was confusing - and I know what I'm doing on this game. having a little "Or you can get the copper ore yourself. Would you like to hear about mining and smithing? (yes/no)" if the person says yes, give them a tutorial, and like 5-10 pickaxes.

there is no monk or priest lord byron quest line. after going for so many levels not finding any class specific gear, getting to this quest is a giant kick in the "why the hell did I pick this class" nuts. also, this goes along with the idea of getting better gear that is soulbound with no level requirements. this questline should give +20 stat gear, not +10. monks should get +10str/+10dex ring.

have lord byrons class specific quests remind the player that there are other class specific missions and what the names of the NPC are, then ask "Are you sure you want to continue with my <class, ie fighter> missions? <yes/no>" Right now you go up to any one of them and it seems like you're just going to find out a little more information, then by the second keyword you're permanently triggered to follow that questline.
Eclips wrote:I would use newbie island to spell every fundamental component of the game out. I'd assign a relevant quest or piece of info to every npc in newb island. Don't make all of the quests a chain, but present the idea that all npcs are there to help.

> have the inn keeper offer a cleaver and ask for rat meat.
> have the smith collect an ingot and craft a weapon. Have them follow it up and craft a piece of armor from a rat pelt. Have the smith describe equipping weapons.
> have an apothecary send you on a quest to collect ingreds for a pot and then end the quest by telling them how to bind pots.

Basically isolate the fundamentals of the game and make sure they all can be addressed by npcs. Don't make all of these quests string together though, just make them available to anyone who talks to them, in any order.

I would also make sure all noob quests are fairly leading without being in your face. The kill quests are nice starts but the quests need to be more educational at first. For instance the stone quests and some others require some exploring and inquiring, but they aren't typical quests. You need to make sure people are aware of the quest fundamentals (in this example, intel gathering and recon)

Also there are a good number of maps these days. Have npcs direct players to level relevant ones
My opinions below:

I personally hate the dryden furniture quests (sorry kyba)

New quests (such as montor guards) are so much better because with hindsight and better engine support it's easier to make better quests tho it also makes making better quests harder as new quests always have to be even better

I think the 3 byron class quests should be scrapped. They were designed to make a player feel as if they belonged to a class AFAIK not long after hard-classes were canned. I don't think they relevant, and I would now just pick the best bits from them and rework them into one chain, not 3.

quests shouldn't be used to force a developing story but rather for backstory - however I'm also opposed atm to developing too much backstory (in my notes I have WORLDBUILDING> BACKSTORY)

quest rewards need revision always as the game expands and grows - ideally the guard quests would gear your char up. silver coins goes part way to addressing this.

If anyone is willing to provide specific and clear changes to how any particular quest should change please post below.
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Re: Quests revision for 2013

Post by Eclips »

OMG I'M FAMOUS!

In addition to my crafting skill related quests, id also make rare ingredient gathering quests for mandrake and nightshade. Or at least provide this information to a NPC.
>>>>>>> Building off of that, no player is doing anything that theoretically hasn't been accomplished by NPCS before them. 85% of the information in the manual should be in game as well. Whether you read it in a book (Excluding game physics), learn it in a quest, or simply discover it in a convo with a NPC.

Also, I'd add more multipart/chain quests.

Maybe make "rumors" a universal prompt to NPCS. (Similar to "job" or "time")

I think I also mentioned in the message I sent you that on a biological level people respond well to "randomized rewards." Quests that can only be found at random would be nice. Maybe you only start a quest when you read a certain book, or humanoid enemies have a X% chance of dropping notes that start quests. Maybe artifacts that are found in pieces and combined. Randomized blueprint/recipe drops.

I actually really like the idea of items of artifact rarity that you have to gather in order to create one uber artifact. (Legendary Rapier blueprints+ Mythic Material+ Rusted Hilt+ Hero's Crest+ Extraordinary blade= Patrick's Legendary Rapier
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Initially when I heard of silver coins I thought it was a Town Guard completion bonus rather than a replacement award. This might be a kind of cool idea as if you're clever you can bypass a few quests and still get the coin. Better would be the coin the come from completing all guard quests in that town.

More silver coin items to buy. Maybe greater items require more coins than 1. Off the tope of my head Town guard quest totals:
Nordhaven - 1
Port Izumi - 1
Mon-Ferrato - 1

Also:
Seftonvale
Cammerata
shoreline
Montor West
Montor East
Dryden

No guard quests but maybe in the future:
Kingsood
Resort
Strangiato
Monestary
Buc's den (wait nvm no guards there)
Chester hill
Dulwich
Other player town:

Different coin system for Maeondir maybe.

Note: I'm basically done with my quest spreadsheet (my madness that is as its probably cluttered). Trying to figure out some possible quests I don't know about... investigating Tangled forest and found some good seeds in there for possible quests. Also writing down various named bosses in dungeons (i'll post some ideas about them in monster thread when I get to it).
LordAndrew
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Post by LordAndrew »

I like the overall idea for more/new quests, I also really like the idea mentioned in the other thread to re open old quests at X level at heroic/epic level or whatever.

Perhaps add some quests focused in Anathema, it has a lot of unused [for quests] areas and at least one 'boss' already in place 'hydros the hydra' and prolly more we haven't found yet. Also add a shadow guy whose name I've forgotten at the end of the red dragon area in the suffering.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

eggmceye wrote: If anyone is willing to provide specific and clear changes to how any particular quest should change please post below.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

OK, I'll start.

Cowwy's Cheese:
Place at 65'2" in crypts.
Reward Cowwy's Premium Milk (5-10 bottles) [+health +regeneration timer300]
same xp reward
+ subquest to deliver something to hidden Sakura.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

cowwy is fixed but not uploaded
ghenta is changing to 3 reinforced flasks, down from 15
Morpheus
I'll be going back to Tibia next week.

Post by Morpheus »

/aq related: Would it be possible to just copy the quest text (one when you trigger it with keyword) to the quest book. That would help you remind what you're supposed to be doing for that quest.

Partying and Questing: If you're in a party and are on same quest and kill the monster you're supposed to kill (eg Grendel, Firehorn..). The guy who shot the killing blow gets the quest. Should finish the quest for all who participated? (Right now you've to wait for it to respawn for each member of party..)
Same for Quest item thing. (Lots of newbies have trouble with Eye of katorina and Thelma's talisman.)

Byron quests: Scrap the class quests and Link it up with Virgil's Maeondir quest. Mariah says things are 'dire' in maeondir but doesn't say what?
She suggests we should talk to Farimond. Farimond gives us more quests!
Fix some things in Maeondir:
1. Chop the Tree ents: They're growing out of control and need some culling. Chop 20-30 of them (they drop cursed wood to gather?)
2. Find Farimond's armour in labyrinth : Quest item like Patrick's rapier. Randomly put in some place in Labyrinth.
3. Quest to Sylvengard Tower and kill the smith at the top.

Probably more to put quests in Maeondir.. I've run out of ideas and will need to jog my memory by doing a run through all Maeondir
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

how do you guys feel about paying for new quests LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON - I can add a virtual item for sale 'quests' that costs say 5 bux and everytime I sell 10 of them ($50) I'll add a new quest

otherwise I'll improve / scrap / merge existing quests for free

hint: stop saying "MORE QUESTS" If I was made of time I would add them every day and if I was made of money I would pay someone else to.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Well, we don't want less quests that's for sure. And you wouldn't have to pay anyone I'm sure someone would do it for free. Besides all the script coding isn't a quest basically a format like this:

NPC - keywords:
1. correct one activates quest
2. gives wild goose chase
3. gives information for next part of quest

Quest parameters (my take anyways):
1. Find x,y coordinate walk on it
2. Search x,y coordinate object
3. Kill mob x,y coordinate (1. gives item to retrun 2. quest complete)
4. Use object on x, y coordinate

NPC (upon finishing x,y coordinate)
1. gives reward and/or
2. chains next part of quest
3. offers another quest

Maybe there's more to it than that. From my spreadsheet I see the following types of quest:
1. Kill x-number of mobs (bounty hunter quest with or without proof ie. skulls or object)
2. Find item
3. Talk to NPC
4. Use object to get object
5. Kill specific NPC
6. Gather objects

Other than developing x,y coordinates, what is required, and the filler text it doesn't seem all that hard esp if someone else does the legwork. Again, my ignorance of the behind the scene coding should be excused in this matter.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

eggmceye wrote:how do you guys feel about paying for new quests LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON - I can add a virtual item for sale 'quests' that costs say 5 bux and everytime I sell 10 of them ($50) I'll add a new quest

otherwise I'll improve / scrap / merge existing quests for free

hint: stop saying "MORE QUESTS" If I was made of time I would add them every day and if I was made of money I would pay someone else to.
I can think of a compromise between this and Eidolon's idea of redoing quests:
Perhaps every 50 levels have the option to purchase a special "Quest Dissolution Certificate" (or some other name) that will remove a quest from your list. You could price it from anywhere at 10-50 Adamantium coins ($1-5$)

Having all quests wiped would be way overkill IMHO.

This might solve some problems such as throwing key items away in trash that doesn't allow you to finish a quest (as I did with white blood cells on one alt). However, it sort of start to fall into the pay to win scenario for easy xp and items which is bad.

OK, from now on my future quest pots will stick with your quote:
eggmceye wrote:If anyone is willing to provide specific and clear changes to how any particular quest should change please post below.
BTW, where the hell is Eid? He's the one who has better insight in some of this than myself.

Also, Kybare was on the other day and wanted to say hi (its in the logs somewhere). And yes he said his email in Patrick's text still works.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Ok, one other small thing I'd like to see brought back: Main quest mobs in gray when you run into them (neutral). They had some unique text and if properly handled this could be utilized for information gathering and maybe splitting quest up

(ie. do I really kill xile or do I persue something for him instead... or do I help him then betray him).

Examples of text: Faveux, Smyth, lich in library for manuscript, etc.
Eidolon
I should probably get out more.

Post by Eidolon »

I have a draft post saved I've been working on. Will probably finalize and submit it tonight.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Awesome.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Crocodile Quest.... just have a huge 2x2 croc appear that has the body. There are times I've killed over 200 crocs and still not find the body. RAWR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Them apples gives no XP award for the quest. The thorium coin remains a mystery and would be unknown unless you had plaed Escape from the Vault. I do hope this quest line leads to something that might relate the two. THORIUM

-------------
Vampire quest:
Currently fucked up at greybeard. Actually, besides the clue you give in vampire thread there's no indication that Foveaux would even be the start to that quest. Only thing I could think of would that curiosity to talk to him would lead to it. Or exploration during the underworld.

*Maybe a goth clan that are wanna be vampires could lead to this.

--------
Underworld.... no mobs makes white stone quest or book to emerging underworld a cake walk. Disappointing IMHO.

-----------
Stone period. Nestor doesn't really point you to shelby anymore unless you know about her already. No pointing out to clues for other stones.
Shelby purposely dead ends you no everything but black stone.
Actually, I think one of them points you out towards white stone but then it dead ends.
With the exception of talking to everyone not a whole lot of clues there (perhaps it should be that way I don't know).
Holdway
Kodiak has probably banned me by now.

Post by Holdway »

An idea for adding large numbers of new quests without it being too time consuming.

Introduce a new NPC that is in a semi hidden spot in each dungeon. He asks the player to do 5 dungeon specific quests, 3 that are kill X monster which is common in that dungeon, 1 gather x resource/item's which are around the level of the dungeon and likely to have dropped, and one finale quest involving either a killing a boss, locating an area, reading a sign/answering a riddle, using x items on y objects.

The NPC could be a cartographer wanting your help to map/discover the area, after you've done the 5th quest he'll tell you where he will be next, with there being a larger reward if you manage to complete all his quests.

For the newer player this then gives them the option of playing the game in a more structured manner, letting them spend a decent amount of time in each place before being told where to find the next level appropriate place for them to explore. Nordhaven Jail already sort of has this with the jailer, but an example for the lighthouse.

Location 30,96
Quest 1 - Kill 20 Gremlins
Quest 2 - Kill 15 Goblin Shaman
Quest 3 - Gather 2 basilsk eyes
Quest 4 - Kill 10 Half Orcs
Quest 5 - Kill Brightfire

For introduction text.

I could use some help from a young adventurer like yourself

help = New sosaria is in desperate need of adequate maps.
maps = Yes, we have plenty of maps of the land as a whole, but no one has ever gone into detail.
detail = I gave been commissioned to get painstakingly accurate maps of every location within New Sosaria. Nordhaven Lighthouse is where I begin my task. Only the task is proving more difficult than I had at first thought.
difficult = It's these pesky gremlins. As soon as I start my work they steal all my food! If you could cull their numbers by killing 20 it would make things much easier for me.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Heh, I like it but then again I like the idea of quests in all dungeons. Write up some more text script. I'm also a big fan that minibosses should turn into quests of some sort. The only other component you're missing is rewards.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I had an idea that each town could award a silver coin for completing all quests in that town instead of replacing the last quests award.

Perhaps Silver coin shop needs some bigger awards that cost more coins to entice people to save up for those items.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Was considering redrawing the Museum and wondering if perhaps a couple of quests could be put in there including "Return the Eye to Statue of Katorina or something similar."