MONK - my ideas for some change!

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Wilhelm
BBQ ABC <3

MONK - my ideas for some change!

Post by Wilhelm »

SO.
I have been dying a lot lately on PD mostly playing with my beloved monk half-troll. This week I can say i died about 40 times. Who knows a char named Wilhelm or Fedaykin on PD, knows what I'm talking about.
And I came to this point.
There are a few things I would change or add toby-far-best class to come into the EUO world.
Here's my thing.

1. Monks, after reaching say 60-70% unarmed should be able to kick (Yes. With feet.) at this point say, with one leg. After reaching 100% they should be able to use all their limbs to attack. That would be not only cool, but really resembling the true idea of a body as monks only weapon, a true martial artists.

2. Monks despite the race chosen at the begging, should be able to dual weild as a class trait.

3. There is a knife, called a trench knife which fits the monk perfectly. As the monk has little weapons, it could add some spice to that class.
Sample of the weapons:

Or claws, which resemble at some point the neko-de (but, could be made purely with metal):

4. Monks with ultra trained bodies could have a little more attack evasion, lets say every 20% unarmed fighting would slightly increase the chance to evade. After all, they are using their bodies and practically no weapons, so theyre not limited by anykind of armor. :)

5. After reaching lets say sanctity and Unarmed both 100% eyes and hands of a monk could glow blue. That'd look awesome!

6. Monks could look more like monks. As in wearing monk robes like: Image
or

And last, but not least. The spells. All the praying done, they could be able to use their praying on other chars. Like the spells cleanse, heal etc.

I will be posting my other ideas when I get them.

Please, feel free to destroy or support my ideas. But, with my not small monk experiance, this could change the gameplay. Tell me what you think about it!
eggmceye
hello

Re: MONK - my ideas for some change!

Post by eggmceye »

good first post
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Yeah, Wil is pretty cool. I help him out a lot and even though he's died a lot he's learned a lot. He's really learning how to use his skills pretty good.

*Although, this last time you should've waited for my monk. Remember your stone form and mirror image as life savers. (damn daemons)
Wilhelm
BBQ ABC <3

Post by Wilhelm »

Mark my words. I am going to be the most powerfull monk on PD :)

What do you think about my ideas?
Heniek
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Heniek »

Really like idea of knives as monk weapons. Could be a new monk skill with it's own special attack.
It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.

Heniek, Macros, Reptile [reg]
Undertow, Macros, Khelavaster, Reptile, Burn [PD]
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I had a post in this link about possible different UA weapons simply because of the small choice already present.

RFC Equipment

I hadn't thought of trench knives and those look pretty bad assed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wilhelm
BBQ ABC <3

Post by Wilhelm »

Anyways, I died again...

1.Well... Too much isnt good too. Those which overlay themselves in type of damage dealt: bludge, slash, pierce, dont have to be added as they wouldnt be used... But that's just my point.
In that place I was thinking that those more advanced weapons would be some kind of harder to get, through quest or such, and they would deal combined damage: bludge+pierce, pierce+slash, slash+bludge. And the ultra legendary weapons, like the bad-ass trench knives could deal: slash+bludge+pierce. ( MUAHAHAH. I am evil...). That actually could be applied to all the weapon types. (I.e. A berdiche as a polearm could add slash+bludge, the chinese guan dao slash+pierce etc.)

But. What about monks wearables?
How about the idea, that only monks could create battlehide, and other tinkered stuff that cannot be created by other classes... Just like dwarves and mithrill, only it wouldn't be a race trait, just a class one. As in: they lived in the monastery before coming to New Sosaria, the monastery was self sufficient and self sustainable...

Oh, and by the way. Heniek said a good thing about those knives! It could be a knife/dagger skill for monks, as in that Dune based quest which we were talking about with Egg on PD few days ago. (Fremen fighting style and such... Crysknife.)

4. How about 1 or two schools of fighting for monks?
brentoboy
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by brentoboy »

The monk class is my favorite one to play (strategically speaking). There are so many strategy combinations that are available. Monks are a lot of fun.

However, they have several disadvantages.

they have fewer hit points than the other hand to hand combat classes fighter / priest , because of the 50/50 ratio, combined with the need to have int in order to make use of the spells that make it so fun to play. This problem wouldn't be as much of a problem, if his DEF was somehow tied to his Dex. But it isn't.

A fighter (or priest) who puts on full armor gets more MR and Defense out of his armour then the monk gets from his +20 def / +120 MR buff from the aspect of the turtle. Not only does he loose his other aspect in order to be "the turtle" but he doesn't get as much defense out of it as what fighters get out of basic armor.

It seems that, as a monk gets cooler and cooler, he should have more and more unarmed defense and unarmed magic resistance. His MR shouldn't just be based on his intelligence like other characters, the monk is protected from magic because he is at one with is surroundings. His defense is not from physical protection ... it is from his being "one" with his environment.

I would think that, if a monk balances his life (33% / 33% / 33% : Str / Dex / Int) he should have really high natural MR, and fairly decent defense. Certainly one of them should be noticeably better than what a fighter at the same level would have. Perhaps he could get additional bonuses from the meditation skill as it advances.

--
as far as the idea that a monk should be able to heal other people in the party..... I'm not really a fan. I mean, sure it would be convenient. But the way I see it, the monk isn't praying (that's what priests do). The monk is using his mind to purge his own blood of the toxins, and manipulating his own flesh to close wounds and restore soundness. It doesn't seem like that inner peace should be able to heal or cure other players.

--
I do like the idea of having kick attacks. Although I'm not sure how much different they would be from fist attacks. Perhaps a round-house kick that can attack multiple adjacent enemies ... that's cool.

--
I also think that it would be nice if a staff could be used as an unarmed weapon. The idea here is that the staff is used more as a gymnastics aid, and less as a weapon. Sort of like Gambit from X-Men. He had his pole that he used for vaulting himself around, and as a way of evading attack.
PD: Duncan
Reg: Zen / Natasha
Wilhelm
BBQ ABC <3

Post by Wilhelm »

If you look at a monk as that popular hollywood Shaolin guy, he does meditate. But lets not forget, that monks are not only shaolin. I.e. Franciscan, or other fraternities. And those guys do some serious praying and herbal healing. Combining those few, would create a cool euo monk.

I'm not into that str/dex/int being at 33% each... Because monks dont use magic that often. 100int is totally enough for the monk, even at ultra high levels, cause his spells at those levels are mainly stoneform, mirror images (and maybe phaseshift, though I dont use it often). They are martial artists, not magicians, so they don't need very high mana. They would need though a better MR and def as of training their body to their max limits, and some schools of fighting.

As in 1 school would teach you to evade attacks, parry and improve your bodies limits in resistance, one would teach you to use your all limbs and head in combat(Not skills, but as a passive skill that add a kick or a head in some intervals in beetween the fists and dirty combat techniques), other would teach you to use magic spells (Like Ironfist Mastah), and the other, the use of different weapons (knives, katars, brassknuckles, trenchknives (staves and short bo sticks maybe?) and getting the best out of them.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Some simple things about monks from some other games like bardstale:

As they level up the get some AS or Damage Bonus.
As they level up they get some Defense bonus.
As they level up they get some MR bonus.

Granted this happens a lot if you put it into the right stat but then again that happens for all classes. There comes a point when it isn't gear or the skill level but just pumping points into stats. However, ver do bonuses and the class is broken and makes other classes look weak.

Aspects don't level up in damage either but are static. This has been a problem with enchants as well but that's another subject.

Small gripe is charge cannot be used with monk weapons or priest weapons and it is buyable from the generic ability guy in university.

Staves should remain classless for those that multi-class into jacks of all trades but are never master of anything (very rare people do this). I will admit some extra classless attacks would be neat.

You can do scav hunt and select battleweave for monk gear.

New weapons would be great though as would leaping/vaulting and roundhouse kicks or kick with knockback.. I'd be playing Mortal Kombat sytle all the time with kockback and sieze.
Wilhelm
BBQ ABC <3

Post by Wilhelm »

There is one thing I'd like to mention also... Does EUO have attack speed?
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Most weapons have an attack speed. No weapons with 1 fist is probably the fastest, perhaps even faster than dual daggers/foils, or ua weapons.
brentoboy

Post by brentoboy »

vault / somersault, seize, knock back and roundhouse kick.
that could be a lot of fun.

maybe the monk could have an aspect that uses mana as extra health. if you get down to 1 hp, it would take damage from mana as an extra buffer of life. Tap into your inner strength. could be pretty cool.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I think there had been some talk of mana shield for mages for a long time. It might have been dropped I don't know.
Wilhelm
BBQ ABC <3

Post by Wilhelm »

How do we know if our ideas are going to be accepeted, which we should change and think of something else?
:)
brentoboy

Post by brentoboy »

Keighn wrote:I think there had been some talk of mana shield for mages for a long time. It might have been dropped I don't know.
I'm not a fan of mages getting a mana shield. :) How's that for rude.

Mages have plenty of tricks up their sleeves, and adding all of their mana on top of their health, means they have as much health as fighters (possibly more) which is not what mages are supposed to be about. They are supposed to fear direct combat.

But it kind of goes along with the monk class. the idea that he could tap the pool of his inner strength to stay alive, even after he has taken more damage than he should physically be capable of ... that's cool. And, since he is a direct combat warrior, it isn't unbalanced for him to have a lot of HP (or at least near the amount fighters and priests might have).

As it is, with 50/50 str/dex, the monk already has about 30% less HP than a fighter. (more than that if he's a mace or spear fighter). and he has lower defense. he needs something so that after level 70 or so, he's still competitive. (speaking on Reg, ... in PD, its probably different)
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Does it really matter about mana shield? Currently PVP mages suck ass. I've heard shawty and crew talk about how lame mages are on reg. Maybe they are and maybe they aren't. I wouldn't know since I don't play a whole lot of reg.

Not sure about pd for monks? Generally anyone at lvl 1k is pretty powerful, though mages still get their asses handed to them vs epic 2x2 mobs of various types.
Turtle
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Turtle »

Let's get some badass monk weapons!

No really, as one of the higher lvl reg monks, I'd appreciate if gloves dropped a bit more often.
Mackey
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Mackey »

Aspect of the turtle is a little OP at lower levels, and then pretty useless at higher levels. Maybe scale def and MR bonuses to caster stats/lvl?
belcrane
Hey I just posted on an internet forum!

Post by belcrane »

That badass monk weapon is really cool its like 3 in one you can shot someone and when you miss you can still use it as a knife but that will be a little hard though because it's a small one.