64x64 Tilesets?

Moderator: EUO Moderators

brentoboy
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

64x64 Tilesets?

Post by brentoboy »

It would be pretty cool if the new beta client looked for btiles20.64.png and used it if it was there.

It might rejuvenate the interest people had in touching up the tiles and bring back the "how cool can we make this look" vibe that was going on when 32x32 became available.

I'm just say'n.
PD: Duncan
Reg: Zen / Natasha
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Re: 64x64 Tilesets?

Post by Keighn »

I haven't even submitted all my 16x16 works... then again I'm not much of an artist.
brentoboy

Post by brentoboy »

honestly, I just downgraded to 16x16 by renaming my 32x32 tiles.

a few things got uglier, but I just morphed the 32x32 tiles for those ones and put them in as 16 x16 it looks kind of retro, but its pretty decent actually.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I'm actually working on a new 'less black' 32x terrain set - spent whole 3 days on it last week.
KittyTristy
BBQ ABC <3

Post by KittyTristy »

I'm trying to throw together a 32x tileset that isn't just resized 16x tiles. I'm using some edited tiles from the JohnSmith texture pack for Minecraft, as well as some of my own. We'll see how it goes. :3

Also 64x would be a bit ridiculous. Let's get a proper 32x pack first.
brentoboy

Post by brentoboy »

I noticed that the overlay.32 file doesn't get used.

I'm not sure if this is beta specific, or not.

But I tried jazzing up my weapon overlay, and discovered it isn't using the .32 image at all. (at least on my box)
brentoboy

Post by brentoboy »

Also, I found this site a few years ago when I was considering writing a tile based game.

http://pousse.rapiere.free.fr/tome/

its a bunch of RPG icons for a game that never really got finished. He says on the page "You are free to to copy, distribute and transmit those tiles as long as you credit David Gervais as their creator."

There are lots of 32x32 icons in there, and some of them are really pretty decent.

The download called "working tiles" is really pretty cool, it looks like it is his drawing board where he has tons of little arms, legs, torsos, heads, weapons, and stuff you can cut and paste together into a monster or character tile.
KittyTristy
BBQ ABC <3

Post by KittyTristy »

brentoboy wrote:Also, I found this site a few years ago when I was considering writing a tile based game.

http://pousse.rapiere.free.fr/tome/

its a bunch of RPG icons for a game that never really got finished. He says on the page "You are free to to copy, distribute and transmit those tiles as long as you credit David Gervais as their creator."

There are lots of 32x32 icons in there, and some of them are really pretty decent.

The download called "working tiles" is really pretty cool, it looks like it is his drawing board where he has tons of little arms, legs, torsos, heads, weapons, and stuff you can cut and paste together into a monster or character tile.
Woah. You weren't kidding; these are great! They very strongly remind me of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. I'm going to see how complete of a tileset I can make out of these. Shouldn't take terribly long, either.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

that's one of the oldest free tilesets going
KittyTristy
BBQ ABC <3

Post by KittyTristy »

eggmceye wrote:that's one of the oldest free tilesets going
I'm surprised I'd never seen it before. I've already made some progress with the tileset, though I'm currently working on it from my netbook, which isn't ideal given the small screen. I'm sure I could churn it out quicker once I'm on my desktop later tonight.
brentoboy

Post by brentoboy »

I know, I'm the one who posted the "hey lets do 64x64 tile sets". And I still think its reasonable to load and use them if they are there to be used.

But I have been playing around with tiles lately, and I have reverted all the way to 16x16, and I actually really like the 16x16 tileset (after making some changes by stealing a lot of stuff from the current 32x32 set and then touching them up.

Even though they are blocky (especially considering they are rendered using 64x64 pixels), they feel more crisp than the 32x32 ones.

I'm starting to think that a nice, clean 16x16 tileset could really go a long way. Seems like as the number of pixels get bigger and bigger, it gets harder and harder to make them look just the way you want. 64x64 icons would require a graphic designer who really got into it in order to look any good. And I'm starting to think 32x32 might have the same problem (to a lesser extent).