Let's Talk About Local Hosting

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Akyla
I accidently ate my friend's placenta!

Re: Let's Talk About Local Hosting

Post by Akyla »

Don't do it Egg!
You get what anyone gets; you get a lifetime.
When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting.
When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished.
Next thing you're going to be moaning that I ought to get a scythe...
jumpstart
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by jumpstart »

Akyla wrote:Don't do it Egg!
Amazing!
~Mario
rosebroken
Hey I just posted on an internet forum!

Post by rosebroken »

So is this no longer a possibility?
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Escape from the Vault is about as close as EUO will be to having an offline version.

It's pretty close tho - same engine, same exes, and you get an actual working server. What you don't get is EUO data files.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

eggmceye wrote:[..]What you don't get is EUO data files.
Yeah so i have noted trying to merge them MacGyver-style :rebel: .
No seriously, I enjoyed playing Escape from the Vault - nice job. But what me got more interested is the local hosting to be honest. Maped seems to work with Escape from the Vault so I guess everyone can make their own adventures with a limited tiles and sprites set, as well as their own LUA scripts. Actually testing LUA scripts for EUO is something I waited for, though I wonder if it really will work with Escape from the Vault - probably not everything.
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

LordMortiferus wrote:
No seriously, I enjoyed playing Escape from the Vault - nice job. But what me got more interested is the local hosting to be honest. Maped seems to work with Escape from the Vault so I guess everyone can make their own adventures with a limited tiles and sprites set, as well as their own LUA scripts. Actually testing LUA scripts for EUO is something I waited for, though I wonder if it really will work with Escape from the Vault - probably not everything.
I concur with LordMortiferus -- playing Escape from the Vault was enjoyable. It was also cool to being able to tinker with the scripts and see how things were put together without worry of setting off some hidden anti-hack ban trap. At the same time, in my opinion, it would be a waste to spend all that energy making an EUO-style game work offline. For many of us older heads, we've already been down that road, playing the single-player Ultimas way back in the Jurassic days of computing. Some of us even hacked that game to pieces, figuring out how to modify code and player stats with hex editors and such. Part of the power of EUO IS the human factor -- the stable, unhacked, multi-player environment and the unpredictability that goes with it. When it comes to solid playability, something about merging the two feels like it'll open up doors that can't be closed.
Devlin
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Devlin »

DrRude wrote:
LordMortiferus wrote:
I concur with LordMortiferus -- playing Escape from the Vault was enjoyable. It was also cool to being able to tinker with the scripts and see how things were put together without worry of setting off some hidden anti-hack ban trap. At the same time, in my opinion, it would be a waste to spend all that energy making an EUO-style game work offline. For many of us older heads, we've already been down that road, playing the single-player Ultimas way back in the Jurassic days of computing. Some of us even hacked that game to pieces, figuring out how to modify code and player stats with hex editors and such. Part of the power of EUO IS the human factor -- the stable, unhacked, multi-player environment and the unpredictability that goes with it. When it comes to solid playability, something about merging the two feels like it'll open up doors that can't be closed.
even if you did trigger anti-hack you could just remove yourself from the ban list, you do have all the server files there.
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

To add to my previous comment about the possible perils of mixing the stand-alone and multiplayer aspects of EUO, I'm reminded of the "Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II" game from the late 90s.

As a standalone game, SWJK:DF2 was a first person shooter that had quests and such. It also had an online multi-player component where players could connect to a central LucasArts server and fight against other Jedi in different battlegrounds from maps used in the standalone game. Long story short, with access to the binaries and all the data files, it didn't take long for players to hack the shit out of the game. We're talkin' weightless Jedi, players with permanent speed bonuses, and all kinds of cheats that defied the physics of the game. While this made game play interesting and fun for a little while, for novices the game had become virtually unplayable unless they knew how (and where) to go download and install those hacked extensions. After awhile the multi-player game had become boring; new players stopped joining and for old players it had become this sorta flying Jedi Cirque du Soleil where instant death was almost assured. Actual light saber duels and using the powers of The Force had become irrelevant.

I just wouldn't want to see EUO risk going down that same path.
Last edited by DrRude on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrRude
Good morning, Captain.

Post by DrRude »

Devlin wrote:
even if you did trigger anti-hack you could just remove yourself from the ban list, you do have all the server files there.
There's definitely a certain charm in that option... :rebel:
Akyla

Post by Akyla »

Maybe if people want to make LUA scripts, etc. to help Egg with development some type of "test client" could be procured. With this people could try making their own scripts and mailing them to Egg for his final say/editing/etc. Then again it is all up to Egg, it is his game.

I can remember this one guy found out how to spawn with full mana, even after death. It was as simple as something in the client code being 0 instead of null, if I remember right.

That's the only reason why I'd hate to see people get ahold of the scripts, and why I contest against it. But anything that could help take the workload off Egg and also allow people to contribute (other than maps and sprites) would be cool. There are a gazillion ideas posted yet only one person can code them so far. Might be cool to have people come up with an idea and actually make it!

EDIT: Now I remember. He had infinite mana, even on respawn. So he would just spawn, heal, hop back in TP for another few kills then die. Easy way to power level when you get 5% xp a kill at low levels. :P
Devlin
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Devlin »

Akyla wrote:Maybe if people want to make LUA scripts, etc. to help Egg with development some type of "test client" could be procured. With this people could try making their own scripts and mailing them to Egg for his final say/editing/etc. Then again it is all up to Egg, it is his game.

I can remember this one guy found out how to spawn with full mana, even after death. It was as simple as something in the client code being 0 instead of null, if I remember right.

That's the only reason why I'd hate to see people get ahold of the scripts, and why I contest against it. But anything that could help take the workload off Egg and also allow people to contribute (other than maps and sprites) would be cool. There are a gazillion ideas posted yet only one person can code them so far. Might be cool to have people come up with an idea and actually make it!

EDIT: Now I remember. He had infinite mana, even on respawn. So he would just spawn, heal, hop back in TP for another few kills then die. Easy way to power level when you get 5% xp a kill at low levels. :P
I don't want to see a single player EUO. EftV is good enough for that, and those with a desire to tinker can do so with EftV.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

yeh I'm not interested in single player euo

am interested in
- cooperatively developed single or small multi euo like games (diablo style)
- possible porting the above to xbox live
Dudle
on lolpatrol

Post by Dudle »

Well I didnt know that you could edit some files to have someone log onto your local hosted EAO, go pvp and kill them! Also partying works for transferring items between players - but when one moves in sight of the other (or maybe on the same level) it seems that turn based actions are no more, and time passes for the other player, and this allows mobs to move too. Party xp is shared too!

On another note...have you ever thought about Steam and EUO as a free to play game? You could end up with some players who would buy addy coins through the steam overlay. They have Realm of the Mad God on there which isn't much better looking, and you could make it the 3D version of EUO, the only thing is you might have to upgrade the server if you had a huge influx of players...possibly have new servers for new worlds, pay to move characters between worlds ect...too many ideas must stop posting.
"I know that you knew that I know, but did you know I knew that you knew I know?" Cassanova Frankenstein 'Mystery Men'

"Buddah, Zeus, God...one of you guys do something!" & " Help Satan! You owe me!" - Professor Farnsworth 'Futurama'

"Hmm hmm hmm, when you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all." Probably a computerized space probe that collided with 'God' 'Futurama'
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

the only way to play multi is to turn turned based off - the setting is in dat/common.cfg
Grunkk

Post by Grunkk »

xbox live ey? I couldn't imagine playing euo with a controller.
On a search to find the meaning of life... Oh wait, to get to level 450!
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

Grunkk wrote:xbox live ey? I couldn't imagine playing euo with a controller.
Nah, piece of cake.
~Mario
Grunkk

Post by Grunkk »

There just simply isn't enough buttons! imagine casting spells, drinking potions, using scrolls..

Ahh, my mind hurts.
Akyla

Post by Akyla »

Isn't it possible to use a USB keyboard on Xbox? No clue because I don't have one, but I know it is possible for the wii.
Grunkk

Post by Grunkk »

Akyla wrote:Isn't it possible to use a USB keyboard on Xbox? No clue because I don't have one, but I know it is possible for the wii.
Hm, I had one for the PS2 back in the day. So I presume it's possible, nevertheless if you have a USB keyboard, then you have a computer, and if you have a computer, just play EUO on that? o.O
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

Grunkk wrote:There just simply isn't enough buttons! imagine casting spells, drinking potions, using scrolls..

Ahh, my mind hurts.
Not a problem.
~Mario