Official alpha server thread

Moderator: EUO Moderators

eggmceye
hello

Official alpha server thread

Post by eggmceye »

About the alpha server

Alpha is a server for testing new game functions, and optionally testing builds.

XP multiplier on alpha is 20 (ie 20x that of reg, 2x that of PD)

copying characters from reg and PD to alpha

Alpha is an old copy of reg. However you can now copy a character from reg or PD to alpha via the armoury. Login to armoury and go to the player profile of the character you wish to copy to alpha. Link to copy is at top under the character name.

/Commands special to alpha server:

Code: Select all

/respec xx xx xx - free respec (ie stat redistribution)
/script vamp - toggle player vampyrism
/script druid - get some starting skill points in druidry/polymorphism
/race 0-9 - free race change
/remort - same as for PD
Currently unique to / testing alpha:

new rules for newly tamed and evolving pets
A general problem with pets is that at 100 taming the only pet worth getting is usually a black or red dragon due to all others' low stats. So, now that necromancers can tame undead, and can tame undead dragons, I needed to beef those undead dragons, and indeed all pets up.

When you tame a pet, or when a pet evolves:
* pet stats are scaled to roughly dragon stats, multiplied by your % in taming
* base stats for a new pet with 100% taming:
-- HP 725
-- INT 750
-- MR 375
-- AS 38
-- AC 40
-- Dmg 5d7
-- speed 500ms
* the pet's new stats will be the greater of their normal stat or the above stat * skill% in taming. Eg if your taming skill is 50% then the pet's HP will be the greater of its normal HP or 725 * 0.5
* this instant pet stat respec does not ever apply to non-undead dragons, tho I'm willing to change this if someone puts up a good argument for it

Testing this on alpha. It's probably a good change - but I am a bit wary.

This statbonus does not get applied retroactively. If you want a new king rat pet you will have to go and tame another.

player GOLEM race
* 5x mr
* 2x def
* 0 mana all the time
* cannot eat or drink pots, but beer is ok (think bender from futurama), however they don't get the benefits from beer as dwarves do
* immune to choking, poison, drowning, bleeding

more races to come on alpha, stay tuned

how to play on the alpha server
ALPHA server is selectable during login/create in the euotopia client. Alternatively:

i) use the launcher
ii) change the port to 26665 (host is still euo.swut.net)

how to make a new char using one of the new races
i) pick any race
ii) use the /race command once connected

how to convert to one of the new races
i) type /race - you will be presented with a list of race numbers you can change to - 7 is dwarf for example
*** you can use /race to get a free race change to any race on alpha

history
previous alpha testing - read this thread from start to finish if you want a history lessoh on:
- dwarves
- skeletuns
- vampires

big thanks to
MaGeX & Lord Mort for making the dwarf avs. There is a initial set of 10 that I've added heavily based on their work - these are still undergoing revision & expansion.
Grunkk for the cute skeletun avs plus the name - which I may just keep, instead of boring old 'undead'
eggmceye
hello

Re: dwarves alpha!

Post by eggmceye »

Grunkk
Tune in next time & see how they do it.

Post by Grunkk »

This is probably a bug with the map and not dwarves, but with the infravision you can see this odd skeleton in the walls,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On a search to find the meaning of life... Oh wait, to get to level 450!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

you're meant to see thru walls - it's infra-red vision as in, you're detecting heat - like the predator
in which case the bug is that undead are cold and you shouldn't be able to see them

it's intentional atm but up for revision
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Nice work on the female dwarfs and the whole race in general.
Only thing I noticed so far is that you have to press shift+u to drink the ale, which is a bit inconvenient to get drunk. Edit: Thanks Onyxt - somehow it didn't occur to me to press 'p' for drinking.
When a mob appears over an ava while moving/pushing it is shown as a red ava icon above your own ava (infra-red vision).

Some ideas:
You are still hungry after drinking several beers - Now I am not sure about the stuff you guys call beer, but ours satiates your tummy. We have the saying that 3 beers are a meal.
The confusion for drunken non dwarfs is great - reminds me of "Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards". Maybe the ava should move randomly by itself while the player looses complete control for some seconds. The confusion should end with the player puking and some stat penalties for some seconds (bad hangover syndrome).
Infrared is nice, but I think the further away a mob is the less bright it should appear on screen.
Last edited by LordMortiferus on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Onyxt
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Onyxt »

LordMortiferus wrote:Only thing I noticed so far is that you have to press shift+u to drink the ale, which is a bit inconvenient to get drunk.
You can use p to drink it. (just like with potions)
WbBann
Here for the lesbians.

Post by WbBann »

I said this in dwarves idea thread but I think certain ales should boost certain stats, i.e. one ale 15% dex, one ale 15% str and 15% int etc... Also maybe rarer ales which are harder to brew due to finding ingredients could be 15/15 str and dex. Maybe they could also be expert tailors and can tailor leather equilevant to mythril? This is because I think it will add more depth to choosing your class etc.

Perhaps dwarves can turn infravison on and off? It's a VERY nice feature, but I don't wanna see red ALL the time. :P

Also maybe dwarves could get a damage boost or mr boost? Because the only way to progress with dwarves otherwise is to buy stuff/mine etc. Draconians get flight aswell as some other nifty things so maybe dwarves could get a few other nifty things to go with infravision?
poply
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by poply »

a low level can drink to be able to equip stuff beyond what they could normally. i dont find this a problem but it still seems weird.
im liking the dwarves a lot :mrgreen:
spoiled
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Eclips »

Any chance Sieze can be used with infravision? might seem cheesey, but its just like a Sense thats always on.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

regarding mithril:
* it's in silver veins, and if you have 80% mining there is a 50% chance that each ore mined at a silver vein will actually be mithril

simplish mechanism for mining mithril ... feedback/suggestions welcome

* agree that beer should feed
* may put in vomiting/sick for when drinking too much alcohol, instead of just capping it (for non dwarves)
* ir+seize ... humm probably not - am considering making it not work thru walls but it's fine as it is just now for testing
poply

Post by poply »

i dont know about everyone but i would much rather loose 50% of my zinc ore over my silver ore.
spoiled
Grunkk

Post by Grunkk »

eggmceye wrote:you're meant to see thru walls - it's infra-red vision as in, you're detecting heat - like the predator
in which case the bug is that undead are cold and you shouldn't be able to see them

Well I actually meant that the skeleton is not meant to be there, as you cannot even get to it. I don't even think you can see it with Sense either.
On a search to find the meaning of life... Oh wait, to get to level 450!
ibrowniedefender
on lolpatrol

Post by ibrowniedefender »

yes you can.
somebody obviously doesn't explore doungons :p
CinisterD

Post by CinisterD »

the silver veins work nicely imo. i think its a pretty cool set up. And the infared is nice especially for maeondir and all those pesky hiding ents!

oh and Mithril FTW :mrgreen:
poply

Post by poply »

Grunkk wrote:
eggmceye wrote:you're meant to see thru walls - it's infra-red vision as in, you're detecting heat - like the predator

Well I actually meant that the skeleton is not meant to be there, as you cannot even get to it. I don't even think you can see it with Sense either.
if thats where i think it is then thats the normal place for that skeleton mage(ready to shank those who do not know of it)
but that makes me think of the fact most undead are not so hot, thus infrared is not a good way of seeing them. not that i mind seeing them
spoiled
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

best not to confuse reality with a game! but that is what I said

I should decide whether IR thru walls is too good for dwarves or not.

Need more feed back - is HP too high? too dull? how's mithril? it kinda binds dwarves to crafting & mithril a little but it's a good material.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

coming soon to alpha - once I flesh them out little more

golems
undead

specs removed and reposted later
CinisterD

Post by CinisterD »

eggmceye wrote: Need more feed back - is HP too high? too dull? how's mithril?
-hp seems very nice, i dont feel its too high.

-mithril is simply amazing (great Def and MR, maybe a lighter version for those dwarven mages "dwarven robe")
-could make by alch similar to darkweave maybe?

-other than that they seem very nice, the drinkings cool. (maybe more than one brew?)

-as far as dull goes its a toss up, theyre very resourcefull in different ways. with maybe a few more brews and the UA/Light gear i suggested they could make for a REAL race to be reckoned with.
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Eclips »

Dwarves are sweet, but I have two grievances, the second being personal opinion.

1.I'm pretty sure a priest dwarf will be unstoppable. Between the high mr def and high HP and full heal there will be no stopping them, ever.

2. With a perfect fighter build at lvl 221 I have about 1500 hp with ale, health orb and health scrolls. This to me seems a little excessive, but that's coming from a mage. Also, it wouldn't be as bad if you were doing one of the other classes.

Theres an issue with that however. Dwarfs are a fighter class only. I mean priests too, but for the most part they are fighters anyway. The HP bonus is nice for any class. The infravision is a nice touch, but hardly necessary for any class. The Str bonus is nice, but 15% of a mage or rogues Str is still crap.

I don't mind dwarfs being a primarily fighter class, but the set up right now doesn't really leave any room for change. You already have orcs that are primarily fighter only, and while there are differences between the two, it seems a bit redundant. I personally like the classes that give you options the best. Gnomes for example make good rogues and monks and make for decent mages as well. I doubt you'll see anything other than a fighter or priest dwarf or orc in the game. Maybe thats what you intended however.

If not I think a simple solution for that, if you dont like the different stat boosting ales, is to allow dwarfs to create lighter mythril type armors as well as the heavy ones. This alone would at least open up the possibilities somewhat while still making dwarfs primarily fighter.

Another route you can take would be to change orcs a little to make them more diverse, but again, thats just how I feel about it.
Mackey
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Mackey »

eggmceye wrote:coming soon to alpha - once I flesh them out little more

undead
* immune to vamp, poison, choking, drowning
* take damage from turn, extra dmg from silver weapons (which makes for a bad pvp race)
* can eat corpses just like werewolves, plus also regular meals
* prob need some other perk

once balanced, odd-ball races will be allowed as a paid race chg on reg but not rollable
NV bonus would be cool (creature of the night)
Vampyric melee attacks (consuming flesh of living creatures)
Any stat or MR bonus

SO stoked for undead. Fuck yeah