RFC - pets

Moderator: EUO Moderators

newmagna
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Re: RFC - pets

Post by newmagna »

So, how about some mercenaries(I'm quite sure this is the thread to post this, but I'll post on IT17 too)
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Yeah, I've talked about hiring mercenaries for a long time. I've also talked about mercenaries filling out your party roster instead of taking up pet slots. It allows a sort of single player aspect. Another option is to allow so many mercenaries for a new skill called leadership (general class).
00-19 0 mercenary/hireling but option to have a squire or something that really does nothing.
20-39 1 mercenaries/hirelings
40-59 2 mercenaries/hirelings
60-79 3 mercenaries/hirelings
80-99 4 mercenaries/hirelings
100 5 mercenaries/hirelings

I had thought of bonuses as well but they don't come to mind at the moment. basically the odd numbers.. 10, 30, 50, 70, 90 %tiles.

Every 5% in leadership increases the morale so hirelings won't flee... at 100% they are fearless.
Zilverlight
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Zilverlight »

I'll be honest, I skipped most of this thread.

I like the idea of "Legendary Pets" from page 1, the chance of a pet evolving into something much stronger. I don't think it should be Balrons/Shadow Dragons though. I agree too strongly with increasing the usefulness of other pets other than Dragons. Right now that's the only encouragement. I understand reaching 100 taming is a huge accomplishment and we want those that reach it to receive something spectacular. I think the Legendary Pets is a way to expand upon the usefulness of 100 taming. Maybe once you reach GM Tamer you can now possibly evolve a Legendary Pet. Balancing this with Dragons though will be difficult. If Legendary makes your pet stronger, what's a Legendary Minotaur Shaman vs a Legendary Dragon? Legendary Dragon still wins.

Increasing the pet level cap to match that of the player is a great idea. I agree this will definitely encourage higher levels to have a pet alongside. However, I'll be honest the Pet HP wand seems very... discouraging. At the moment I refuse to use it on my pet dragon until it is max level because I lose out on potential HP for my pet. I think it should increase the pet's HP by the same %, but increase it by the same % as the pet grows. Using it on a pet at level 5, will still have the same HP as using it on that same pet at level 40, when the pet is max level finally. Otherwise, I'd never use the wand on my pet for fear of missing out on a large amount of HP. Perhaps this wand could be soulbound though to prevent everyone from acquiring one.

The reason why the Goblin Shaman requires 35 taming and the Drake requires 100 is clear. Players that are able to tame a Drake have worked hard to get the appropriate skill and are rewarded for such. Goblin Shaman is a pet for a lower level and achievable easily by a lower level player. Same goes for Minotaur Shamen. I don't think they really need to be revamped THAT much to encourage players to use them, I think there just need to be more viable options at 100 Taming.

Perhaps having the Blood variant of mobs a choice evolution? Hydras can become Blood Hydras at 50? Introduce an Elite tier Minotaur or Minotaur Shaman? Something that can equal a dragon? Frenzied Werewolves at level 50? Stronger attack and faster?

I do feel that Taming is a bit slower, but then again, it's not far out of line with most crafting skills (outside of Enchanting which is very easy to level up with a good amount of shards) It could possibly be tweaked a tad to make it a little easier, possible increasing the Taming skill as your pet fights? That way you don't necessarily need to get rid of your current pet (taming new ones) to level up?

I had mentioned (probably years ago) about Mercenaries being a new approach to taming. (While not taming, this is essentially another companion similar to a pet) I think it's not a bad idea to allow for filling in the role in a party that might be missing. Perhaps Mercenaries allowed to be hired at specific levels (based on your own) with cost depending on the level purchased. (IE: a level 120 mercenary would have stats equal to 75% of a player at the same level, but would cost maybe 1mil gold?) This would remove gold from the economy (which if I remember correctly was a goal in the past) and would be a useful alternative. However, having mercenaries purchased at high levels would probably HEAVILY outperform pets and make them obsolete. Possibly finding a way to balance it? Higher cost? Upkeep required?

I will say leveling pets is an absolute PAIN! Getting a drake to level 25 isn't a huge problem, i can usually do so in 45 minutes or less, remembering back to when I was doing it. I had a dragon before i was done bonding. However, getting the pet to 30, took a while, and beyond that to 40? I was at it for days. I still have my pet at level 42, and I remember using it quite a bit. Maybe increasing the speed that pets can level up at higher levels?
Desmond (AKA: Rurik)
Rumper
Post in swahili or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Post by Rumper »

Legendary pets sounds interesting.
I think pets are fine as they are. Training taming to 100 usually takes a few hours on PD and I don't remember how it was on reg.
I still think it's fine, but (now I'm just repeating myself) training taming should also be possible while just adventuring with your pet. Cause once you get that pet and you just keep feeding it, your taming does go up until it's capped and you'll have to get a new one. But yeah feeding your pet 20-40 times before 1 increase in taming is a bit over the top.
So I would suggest that when feeding your own pet it's 2 or 4 times faster than taming new mobs.
Pets are really nice early game. They can carry you through almost everything. But once we reach dragons it gets a bit more difficult and at balrons they're practivally worthless. Even with a full utility build.
Late game pets only scale up to midgame in terms of strength.
Zilverlight

Post by Zilverlight »

Honestly, with how much end game content we've been adding all over New Sosaria, it may just be a simple matter of making more monsters tamable. Dragons right now are the top of the list for pets. However, Dragons are only midgame content. After dragons, you have Balrons, Shadow mobs, Blood mobs. Heroic and Epic beyond that.

Maybe allowing for some of these creatures to be tamed as pets? Having a Blood Wyvern pet wouldn't be broken, when you have to actually calm one the heck down. Harder work for the person wanting them as a pet, but worth it in the end since it will be able to match the blood mobs that you're trying to hunt.

The same for Heroic and Epic. If you tame a pet in a heroic or epic dungeon, having it retain all the increased attributes and scale from that? Allows pets to be more useful at endgame since they come from it.

I'd still like to see Legendary pets, but instead of having a chance that a dragon becomes a Shadow Dragon, I think a player should have to work on actually taming a Shadow Dragon.

-Actually just thinking about it, players have to tame a drake and have a random chance for which dragon they get. Maybe we could do something similar to not make it so easy to pick exactly which mob the player wants? For instance, a Shadow egg. Found in a heavily guarded lair of shadow dragons. While attempting to tame, the egg has a high chance to spawn Shadow Drakes, Shadow Dragons, Shadow Wyverns and maybe even adding one or two types of shadow dragons. (Could look similar but have different set of abilities or spells) The egg would have to be tamed and follow (be carried) around whlie you're hunting and protecting the egg until level 25. Then it evolves into a drake. The drake will evolve into any type of shadow dragon at 50, and the dragon will evolve into the Wyvern equivalent at 75.

Now reading over it, I'm not actually a fan of the egg idea haha. The only thing it does it make it harder for the tamer to level it up since it does nothing to help. Maybe just adding Shadow drakes instead for a chance at shadow dragons. :fp:
newmagna
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by newmagna »

give pets special abilities as they level up:
spiders can trap targets in webs, caster pets learn new spells, werewolves summon blue(not green) wolves, vampires share the hp they leech with you, and swarms get bigger and disease targets
btw can we tame snakes?
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Nope but we can't tame chickens, turkeys, or horses either. Something about flying devices and snakes....big NO NO NOOOO!!
Zilverlight

Post by Zilverlight »

Maybe a pet collar of protection? Or allowing scrolls of protection to be read on pets?

Also having more stats scale with level than just hp?
A slight increase to their AS, defense and int per level.
Azalynn
Good morning, Captain.

Post by Azalynn »

I would appreciate if i could use something else other than a dragon as a pet and it be viable, but i mean i get it. I do like the idea of elite style mobs. Having an elite mino chief that has the mr and attack of a blood warrior would be freaking cool. Id appreciate anything like that if its relevant to progression. And hell, its another thing to work towards!

Another thing i had an idea of the past, being able to combine all of the colors of dragons to summon and have to do a difficult tame to acquire a special type of dragon would be absolutely fucking awesome. You could do this with everything, goblins, minos, imps (would need frost and ice to complete), all of these would work. With using this, the pets scale to your level so they are always useful, this would make taming relevant at all levels of gameplay instead of the first 300 levels! That would be insane. :D
Regular
Thrall

PD
Thrall
Azalynn
Zyth
Tyrande
Azmodan
Elias
Az
Ass - LOTL
Zyth - LOTL
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Azalynn wrote:I would appreciate if i could use something else other than a dragon as a pet and it be viable,
see alpha server, scroll down to the bit on pets

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4153
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

I think nightmare surpasses all in alpha. Them cows though...moooooooove out!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Keighn wrote:I think nightmare surpasses all in alpha.
is that the consensus?
Zilverlight

Post by Zilverlight »

Gonna have to test this out tonight!!
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

that mod was done so long ago I don't even know wtf it really does

but here is the exact code taht gets run when a pet is tamed. go figure

Code: Select all

-- only called by set_pet, no longer called by evolution
function set_pet_stats(m)

-- if true then return ; end
 if server_config:get("server_id")~="A" then return ; end

if m==nil then return; end
 if m.owner_id<0 or m.owner_id>=100 then return; end
 if monsters:in_family(m.code, 7) then return; end -- not dragon family

local p=get_player_ptr(m.owner_id)
 if p==nil then return; end
 local t=p:get_skill(SK_TAMING)

-- stats of a black dragon aprox
 -- remmeber a black drag will lvl 50 times, so these stats are for pet lvl 25
 local minhp=430*t/100 -- (700/1.6)*t/100 -- the hp needs to take into account 75 lvls to equate to dragon lvld 50 times, abt 1880hp
 local minint=750*t/100
 local minmr=375*t/100
 local minas=50*t/100
 local minac=40*t/100
 local maxspeed=750-250*t/100
 local mindd=7*t/100
 local minds=7*t/100

if m:get_hp_max() < minhp then 
 	m:set_hp_max(minhp) 
 	m.hp=minhp
 end

if m:get_intel() < minint then m:set_intel(minint) end
 if m:get_magic_resistance() < minmr then m:set_magic_resistance(minmr) end
 if m:get_thaco() < minas then m:set_thaco(minas) end
 if m:get_ac() < minac then m:set_base_ac(minac) end
 if m.speed > maxspeed then m.speed=maxspeed end
 if m:get_dmg_dice() * m:get_dmg_sides() < mindd * minds then 
 	m:set_dmg_dice(mindd)
    m:set_dmg_sides(minds) 
 end 

end

Zilverlight

Post by Zilverlight »

It's very interesting. I'll be honest it does seem a bit overwhelming. A pet cow one shotting trolls, a pet troll priest beating up heroic daemons. Even though overwhelming, this does bring something new to the board. I'd like to see what everyone tames, if it all becomes viable.

With these base stats at 100% taming, this means essentially any spellcaster pet will deal the same damage?

Does the HP go up the same amount for each pet as well? I saw one gain 8 and another gain 9. Not sure if that was because actual hp increase was 8.4 or something.

Dragons may still be stronger, but I'm pretty sure my main pet will become a Minotaur Shaman on my tank if this rolls onto Regular.
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

Zilverlight wrote:It's very interesting. I'll be honest it does seem a bit overwhelming. A pet cow one shotting trolls, a pet troll priest beating up heroic daemons. Even though overwhelming, this does bring something new to the board. I'd like to see what everyone tames, if it all becomes viable.

With these base stats at 100% taming, this means essentially any spellcaster pet will deal the same damage?

Does the HP go up the same amount for each pet as well? I saw one gain 8 and another gain 9. Not sure if that was because actual hp increase was 8.4 or something.

Dragons may still be stronger, but I'm pretty sure my main pet will become a Minotaur Shaman on my tank if this rolls onto Regular.
I'll be using my oldskool "broken lv.40" troll priest that I got from Lost Forest, naturally :)
Rumper

Post by Rumper »

We all think about pets in a combat aspect.

However we sometimes forget about other aspects..
How can a pet help us non-combat wise (utility).
How can a pet in help us in our exploration.
Or to take a step back,
Have some pets excel in exploration, others in combat and another group in utility.

For example, exploration. A pet that wanders of to unlock chests or warns about traps. (The trap already exists implicitly, a pet will never walk into a trap, but let's make it more obvious).
For example combat, the current system as it is.
For example utility, a pet that acts as a light source or a pack mule. (Increases load)