Town of Lost Souls - Map DevLog

Moderator: EUO Moderators

LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Re: Town of Lost Souls - Map DevLog

Post by LordMortiferus »

Eclips wrote:I did enjoy the book about weaponsmithing. I don't know if it's in reference to something, but it made me chuckle.
Been wondering about this book the whole day now and cannot figure out which book you mean - I must have added it years ago. Quite nice to be surprised by myself from the past XD

@egg: thanks for fixing the cows.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

I played the map for a tiny bit last night and I'm really excited about exploring the whole thing. Thanks again for all your hard working making this Lord M.

If you're up for it, I'd love to run the map with you. It would be pretty cool to see the route you take and to get your insight. Let me know man :)
IGN: 1
Onyxt
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Onyxt »

Not sure if the items dont have hooks, but the items near the 2x2 golem boss I was able to pick them up.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Ohh shit - dunno how that happened but yeah those items are not set as furnitures - probably slip through after I used a earlier version of my copy&past script. Thanks for the info Seph.

I probably have time next week for a run through the map - also have to fight my matches against Dutch, DK and moon.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Onyxt wrote:Not sure if the items dont have hooks, but the items near the 2x2 golem boss I was able to pick them up.
Should be fixed now thanks to egg. Normally I would apologize for any inconvenience this trivial and obvious bug may have caused, but in this case I hope you looted some nice rare stuff from the decoration ;)

P.S.: for those who may wait on an update for the hq2x tilesets, I am working on it. Atm I am working on btiles20.32, but as my master file had 20+ layers I am doing it from scratch to have everything better organised again.
Onyxt
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Onyxt »

LordMortiferus wrote:
Onyxt wrote:Not sure if the items dont have hooks, but the items near the 2x2 golem boss I was able to pick them up.
Should be fixed now thanks to egg. Normally I would apologize for any inconvenience this trivial and obvious bug may have caused, but in this case I hope you looted some nice rare stuff from the decoration ;)

P.S.: for those who may wait on an update for the hq2x tilesets, I am working on it. Atm I am working on btiles20.32, but as my master file had 20+ layers I am doing it from scratch to have everything better organised again.
I only got the stuff around the 2x2 golem, which wasnt anything special. Didnt care enough to search the whole map.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Within ToLS and Carnival Carnage you may recognize several references to the first person shooter Blood from the DOS era. A video review about that game was just freshly uploaded by Ancient Dos Games. Check it out and the rest of his reviews if you like DOS games and prefer a more informative approach for such reviews.
With regard to Carnival Carnage, I haven't done much lately as I am renovating my apartment. Did some stuff for the pacman mod, like adding a working level progression through six different mazes, but run into some performance issues and gave up for now.
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

First time I saw this 'Pawn', what is the monster tile supposed to be?
20150423-185921.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Djanno :smoke:
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

hmm could it be that a special hybrid boss mob was spawned in the first place, e.g. half balron half deamon or half imp half mephit? That probably would screw up the process of converting the mob to a half waterfall. The script does not double check the mcode before multiplying the original mcode value and adding the mcode values for the waterfall:

Code: Select all

function tols_underwatermob_init(m)

if m.code == 0x246 then -- frost mephit
		scaleCreature(m, 8, 10)
	end

m.code = (m.code + 0x4000) * 0x1000 + 0x241 -- convert monster to half waterfall

if m.boss == true then
		m:set_name("Nehalennia's Pawn")
		m.hide_boss_name = true
	end

end
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Here are is a draft for the background story of ToLS which I wrote back in 2009. Excuse the bad English, spelling and grammar errors - I did not bother to correct anything I sketched out 8 years ago. As you may notice the story has nothing to do with the final map. I just want to conserve this for myself before I throw the paper with the notes away.
Expedition Journal of Joan Clair, scholar at the court of Lord Brydon.

2009, May 5th, Day 1 - Seftonvale Inn
Two days ago I was sent by Lord Brydon to Seftonvale to partake an expedition to the isolated kingdom of Isenmouth, which was last mentioned in the scripts of New Sosaria 200 years ago. The opportunity for this lies in the surprisingly operation of a ship under the Isenmouth flag in the bay of Seftonvale 5 days ago. The captain of the barge, a crafty looking man of the sea who hears to the name Blackeye send a messenger to Seftonvale and the surrounding villages of Cammerata and Dryden proclaiming that the new king of Isenmouth offers a good paid job to anyone who wants.
Lord Brydon, who on the one hand wanted to know more about Isenmouth and on the other hand felt sorrow for his kin who fallowed the call to Isenmoth send me to Seftonvale to board the ship so I could learn more about mysterious place. When I arrived at the harbour I went straight to the captain to tell him of my intentions. He was not too pleased that I did not want to board because I was looking for a job but for informations. Several good coins though changed his mind and with a vicious grin showing gold teeth as well as a row of rotten black ones he welcomed me aboard for next day. Meanwhile I rest now in the inn of Seftonvale with split feelings about the journey that lies ahead.

2009, May 6th, Day 2 - on way to Mon-Ferrato
Due to the bad economy several peasants boarded the ship with me and we headed west to Mon-Ferrato. (nice weather etc.....)

2009, May 9th, Day 5 - on way to Itzumi Port
In Mon-Ferrato several merchants who could not pay the tax for their booths joint us before we left for Dryden(?). Our journey took us farther to the West passing the Knights of Sin clanhall and Mirkwood to the haunted ruins of Olde Porte. We reached this god forsaken place at dusk on May x. It was a cold dark night with the whispers of the undead carried with the wind from the grave yard. On the next day we continued the journey to Itzumi Port. I noticed that the passengers increased in numbers over the night by wayfarers, cut-throats, and other Gesindel (german for lowlifes).

2009, May 11th, Day 7
We left Itzumi on a sunny day with more peasants and merchants from the area and are finally heading on to our destination.

2009, May 12, Day 8
We passed the shrine of Sacrifice . Today the weather is still good but the wind declines more and more. Until now we were spared any encounters with the many dangerous creatures that roam the high seas of New Sosaria.

2009, May 13, Day 9
The wind is gone and the crew has to row. The sun is still high above but some light fog creeps from the sea and makes navigation complicated.

2009, May 14, Day 10
Is it night or day - I cannot say. The fog is too thick as that the sun could penetrate it. The captain is still on good terms and told me that we would reach Isenmoth soon.
Further notes:
Worker go missing after landing in Isenmouth
Most of my notes is unreadable. From what I gathers is that Joan Clair meets the king of Isenmouth. Something awful happens and Joan flees of the mountains to the village where he dies and leaves his notes to be spirited away by the river.

Blood spawn -> Bloodkin Hot blood/Life/Birth/Blood Queen->Castle
Shadow spawn -> Shadowfolk Darkness/Death/Afterlife/Shadowlords -> Town, Dungeon
Circle of Life and Death

That's all folks - I can throw the piece of paper away...
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Hi LM
Is this way meant to be blocked? I thought it was the legit path to the Void Titan/Jira castle area.

Grapple through mountains, jump on roof, then jump off roof before walking up through the switchback passage.

Otherwise you have to raft the whole way around to the little bay there.

Bah. Cant even spoiler tag attachments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Hi LC,
your assumption is correct, there should be a passage over the mountains.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

LM I dropbox'ed the map files incase you felt like making changes :)
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Thanks Max.
I fixed the passage and some other stuff that I deemed problematic with rafts. I have uploaded the files to another dropbox folder "_tols-fixed".
Rafting to the bay is still possible but I added some mobs and high seas.
Comet
I once posted in TFIOOC!

Post by Comet »

I was exploring today and the passage still seems to be blocked off by high peaks.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

Shit didn't know there was a pending update, and have fled the country
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Did your fixed get rolled back? :(
Cause now Hob gp glitch seems to have come back, +undead red werewolfs being named ! instead of Beast and magic immunity.
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
speed
LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON

Post by speed »

LaughingCoyote wrote:Did your fixed get rolled back?
Cause now Hob gp glitch seems to have come back, +undead red werewolfs being named ! instead of Beast and magic immunity.
Bump.

Also, is there a reason why ToLS bosses don't drop ears?
-Speed(COG) = [Grandmaster Stafffighter idk...]
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

speed wrote: Also, is there a reason why ToLS bosses don't drop ears?
Either there were no ears back in the day when I finished the map or I did not know how to do this. But I think we can fix this before the EUO bday party at the weekend if egg agrees with the mobs having ears.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

LaughingCoyote wrote:Did your fixed get rolled back? :(
what does this even mean?