Town of Lost Souls - Map DevLog

Moderator: EUO Moderators

Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Re: Town of Lost Souls - Map DevLog

Post by Djanno »

2x2 map tile! Very cool.

I wouldn't worry about the whole non-linear-open-world thing. We all like to explore and the mini map we now have makes it a lot easier to keep track of one's place. ( remember when that didn't exist? ;) )
Djanno :smoke:
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

That 2x2 map tile looks awesome. It would be nice if maped had built in support for 2x2 tiles like that.
IGN: 1
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Djanno wrote: We all like to explore and the mini map we now have makes it a lot easier to keep track of one's place. ( remember when that didn't exist? ;) )
The mini map was introduced before my time XD - However, I had EUO bookmarked for a long time prior, but never got around installing it until 2009 after my diploma exams.
1[WoWz] wrote:That 2x2 map tile looks awesome. It would be nice if maped had built in support for 2x2 tiles like that.
That 2x2 maptile is actually a hack of some sorts, by giving a 2x2 mob a maptile avatar and removing the healthbar by setting max HP to zero. Here is the script for it, though I might change the heartbeat function later:

Code: Select all

-- this function is a hack to creat a 2x2 maptile
-- as such a mob is converted to a maptile
-- healthbar is removed by setting max hp to 0 while hp > 1 (for instances this is done in a heartbeat)
-- there might be different ways but meh..
function tols_tree_init(m)

m:set_align(ALIGN_NEUTRAL)
	m:set_name("")
	m.tamable = false
	m.immobile = true
	m.large = true
	m.code = 0x350043d
	m:set_hp_max(0)
	m:set_base_ac(9)
	m:set_magic_resistance(99)
	m.hp = 999
	m.heartbeat_func="tols_tree_actions"
	m.death_func="tols_tree_dies"
	m.xp_kill = 0
	m.treasure = 0x0

end

-- This Heartbeat will hide the mobs healthbar and makes it invincible
function tols_tree_actions(m)

if m.hp <= 999 then return end
	m:set_hp_max(0)
	m.hp = 999

end

-- Tree drops lumber when chopped down
function tols_tree_dies(m)

map=get_map_ptr(m.map_level)

local sx=m.x
	local ex=m.x+1
	local sy=m.y 
	local ey=m.y+1

for yy=sy,ey do
		for xx=sx,ex do      
			map:add_item(xx,yy,1,Item(0x115),true)
		end
	end

end
The heartbeat function became necessary in case of loading the map as a heroic/epic instance - dunno why yet. I probably going to use a separate unreachable mob to spawn the tree, which should make the heartbeat obsolete.
Last edited by LordMortiferus on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

LordMortiferus wrote:That 2x2 maptile is actually a hack of some sorts, by giving a 2x2 mob a maptile avatar and removing the healthbar by setting max HP to zero.
I was going to ask if it was just a mob but dismissed the idea because of the lack of healthbar. Very interesting though.

Even though it lacks a healthbar, can it be attacked and targeted? If so, does it die on the first attack or does it have infinite health? Makes me think it would make a good training dummy haha.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

It can be attacked as its alignment is neutral, but with the heartbeat func atm it would have infinite health - Probably, I could could come up with something to negate any attacks on it so you cannot use it to bump weapon skills - I haven't thought about this before. If I am not mistaken magic attacks are already nullified with a MR of 99999 and melee attacks deal only one point of dmg.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

I have updated the script for the 2x2 tree - You can chop it down into 4 pieces of lumber now. I could not figure out how to make it invincible or disallow attacks from players and evil mobs alike.
MoonGoat
Good morning, Captain.

Post by MoonGoat »

LordMortiferus wrote:I have updated the script for the 2x2 tree - You can chop it down into 4 pieces of lumber now. I could not figure out how to make it invincible or disallow attacks from players and evil mobs alike.
Since you made it a creature first, would it work to give it some kind of permanent invisible stone form? Chopping it down to lumber works too tho. Awesome work :)
"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
―Cave Johnson
Bugbo
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Bugbo »

LordMortiferus wrote:I have updated the script for the 2x2 tree - You can chop it down into 4 pieces of lumber now. I could not figure out how to make it invincible or disallow attacks from players and evil mobs alike.
Destructible terrain! That could prove to be a neat feature in future maps, use an axe to chop down trees that block your way or use a pick on a cracked wall to knock it down!
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

@Moon: I tried Stone Form and the result is some cool looking 2x2 statue of a meditating monk, but I did not succeed with overwriting the Stone Form avatar back to a tree maptile.

@Bugbo: Destructible terrain, foremost on random maps, should be feasible by modifying the current mining script.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Nearly done... All seems to be working, which is a miracle.
Have to add some background info text for the very last boss (which is already written but I do not feel like adding it today) and I have to over thing the use of Flam Grav as a standard spell for mobs - at least reduce the amount of mobs that can use it.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Gonna wrap it all up next week - promised XD
Only thing left then will be those special tp scrolls I leave for some other time.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Beta is finished and send to egg.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

I can confirm that I have the map and the scripts and about 2000 words of notes and will be making it & apoc new sos (such as it is, incomplete) live asap
thank you morty!
Onyxt
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Post by Onyxt »

eggmceye wrote:I can confirm that I have the map and the scripts and about 2000 words of notes and will be making it & apoc new sos (such as it is, incomplete) live asap
thank you morty!
I remember when this thread was made, I'm giddy with excitement.
Djanno
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Djanno »

Sweeeet!
Djanno :smoke:
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

Grats on getting the map to beta Lord M!
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Eclips »

Amazing map! I can't believe the level of detail! Also a lot of the mixed monsters look awesome, especially the water deamons. Awesome job!
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Thanks guys.
Dudle drew first blood finding a bug. The two headed cows in tols are over powered atm - better stay clear of them. They are 30 times stronger than they used to be. I have mailed egg about.
Maybe one word to my beloved PD players - The map could be unbalanced and especially the various scripted bosses may hit hard, so please be cautious and feel free to send me pm's if you have any questions.
If you guys find further bugs post them here or in the bug forum. Also I am eager to hear from you guys what references to books/science/movies/games/comics you find on the map.
Eclips
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by Eclips »

I did enjoy the book about weaponsmithing. I don't know if it's in reference to something, but it made me chuckle.
eggmceye
hello

Post by eggmceye »

2 head cows s/b fixed