Town of Lost Souls - Map DevLog

Moderator: EUO Moderators

LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Town of Lost Souls - Map DevLog

Post by LordMortiferus »

I started to make a map that includes a medieval town with harbor and a castle (all not finished yet). I will add a village, a mine and a church to the south in some time.
Furthermore i have a back ground story in mind, which i will post in due time.
If anyone is interested in the original maped file (to see placed items etc.) you can send me a pm.

Update 24.12.09:
I added some buildings to the town and a church to the south. So the rough draft of the northern part is nearly complete. Next will be the village south of the montains, a bigger graveyard and the mine in the east.
Btw this part of my level will be be flaged as dungeon, because of the atmosphere. The reason will included in the story.

Update 31.12.09:
The village is nearly complete. Expect more in the new year.

Update 11.01.10
I started on the mine and the area in the south-west.

Update 12.02.10
Due to some problems I lost my map-file and had to use an old backup file. Have a look at the screenshots to see my whole process.

Update 09.03.10
I uploaded previews of the underground and the first level above ground.

Update 07.05.2010
I worked a bit on the Underground caves and uploaded the maped-files again.

On imageshack.us
10/03/09: Image 10/03/09: Image 10/03/09: Image

On drop.io
10/05/07: Level 280 to 282 with fea and itm files
Last edited by LordMortiferus on Fri May 07, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Re: Town of Lost Souls - Map DevLog

Post by Ozimandias »

Looks pretty awesome. I'm not too sure where it could fit into the world-map, though.

Somewhere to the right top corner there's a large body of water inclosed in some kind of structure. Indoor swimming pool? :mrgreen:
There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't,
Rusty76
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Rusty76 »

It looks really good. Don't worry about where on the map it'd fit, there are lots of potential places (or a place could be made LAUGHING OUT LOUD LIKE A MORON)

just a couple of things

There are some void tiles on the dock, why are they only on the docks and not in the water too? does void tiles on water make sense? i dunno it just seems a bit odd.

Players wont be able to use a raft or ship on your map so unless there are teleporters (the instant kind or the kind where you have to hit space) they wont be able to get to the islands in your map. I know your picture doesn't show features but i was just making sure you knew.

if you need a scripted boss made just let me know the particulars and i'll write up the script for you if you want.
Ozimandias
Here for the lesbians.

Post by Ozimandias »

I was thinking they'd use those two big boats (via space bar like the other transport boats) to get from the "mainland" to the other place.

Perhaps a small quest to get the tickets for those?
There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't,
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Thanks for the feedback and so far and thanks for your offered help rusty.

A way to the island is already planed.
I used the void tiles under items i placed on the dock. I think this way the items look better next to the barrel tile. But i will reconsider this point.

By the way, is it a problem if i use different maps for the different floors/level/stories like underground, ground level, roof ?

I will update my first post from time to time.
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

Good work, looks really good. Are you going to post the backstory, or going to save it for a quest?
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
Rusty76
Posting from my ass computer.

Post by Rusty76 »

LordMortiferus wrote: By the way, is it a problem if i use different maps for the different floors/level/stories like underground, ground level, roof ?
No that's perfectly fine. I did that with Lost Jungle and Deja Vu, the underground areas were on one map and the above ground areas were on another. Lots of maps do that.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

In 2009 i proposed to fill a map with deleted player characters. Since those are beneath level 40 or so, this wouldn't be much fun.

My new idea:
How about fighting against clones of those players who once used the black stone portal. The explanation might be that some wicked wizard can steal part of the soul through the protal.
I would like to contribute my map to this idea when it is finished.

P.S.: Updated screenshots of the map can be found in my first post.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Very nice swamp/river delta.
ZUPS!!!!
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Just updated the first post with a new screenshot. I think the rough draft is now complete.
Making this map takes longer than i have expected.

@Rusty: you find anything that looks familiar to you?
@LC: i am sorry, i fear i missed your post. I will post an outline of the story here and if egg wants the map i will think of some quest elements to the story.

stay tuned!
LaughingCoyote
egg has really fucked this game up :(

Post by LaughingCoyote »

I can't imagine egg not accepting the map. It's gorgeous. Really good work. I like the altar by the lake at the bottom of the map. Is the only way to access it from the right through the forest? The houses at the bottom left don't seem to connect.

The main river could do with some random rocks or mini-sandbanks to break it up a little, too monotonous otherwise.
Hecate wrote: I feel even more evil than ever, milking cows before killing them.
eggmceye wrote:pretty cool having vigour put in the manual after 14 years X-D
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Remember, we can't see the features as those are usually only displayed in maped.
ZUPS!!!!
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

The main river definitely needs some optical tweaking.
There is a path along the small river to the huts in the bottom left corner.

I am open for more suggestions and ideas as well as criticism.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Just a small update. I worked a little bit on the river and the dead forest as well as the castle in the mountains.
Hopefully i have some time over the weekend to do a little bit more so i can start my work on the sewer and underground in the near future.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

I started with the underground system and i playing around with features and items.
Now I wonder if this chain of teleporters in the underground actually works and I am not sure about the "bar" values. In this case I want to change the brazier without fire to one with fire when using the switch. What I did was to place a brazier 10e (with fire) item on the map and changed the item value of the “bar” to 51e (without fire). I hope i made myself clear and appreciate any comments and tips.

If anyone cares the maps will be from 280 to around 285.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

I just wanted to say that i am still working on the map. It just takes way longer than expected. At the moment I am working on the sewers and the crypt.
1[WoWz]
MACRO > me

Post by 1[WoWz] »

It looks great so far, keep up the good work. By the way I am currently using the map as my desktop wallpaper since I've been looking for a good EUO pic as a desktop.
IGN: 1
dshadowplay
buying vamp LS of any kind +5

Post by dshadowplay »

Wow this map looks epic in scope, I think I read somewhere in forums that Egg was saying he would like maps to be around 100x100 in total area. Is this still the case or should we feel free to make gigantic maps now?

Also the link on the first post to the maps appears to be dead.
LordMortiferus
MACRO > me

Post by LordMortiferus »

Thanks for the good critics. I will upload the files again when I have sometime at home (maybe tomorrow).
As fas the map size is concerned, i have no idea. If this map gets finished, I hope egg will not mind the map size.
Keighn
Stop posting already --;

Post by Keighn »

Dialup takes forever for the pics to get up. Have you been using regions yet? I find these to be awesome in the scope of what they can do.
ZUPS!!!!